PDA

View Full Version : Info Discussion: A new RP world for newcomers

Meteoro
09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello, everyone! This thread is the result of a little conversation I had with Jas. He suggested I threw the idea in the open for you all to give some feedback. :)

So, first, this is the situation:
At the moment we do have two strong storylines: Planet Nero and World of Emporium. (I won't count Planet Cunae which was made for Gerald to practice his English; nor Planet Pillion, until I know if Gurgling Ooze will keep it going -hopefully he will, because I like it :) ).

Planet Nero is extremely fast-paced, while World of Emporium is extremely slow-paced. Nothing wrong with either of them, since those are the organic paces they got. I just wouldn't ask to change a thing. Now, here's the thing. Newcomers might find either of them a bit hard to access because of their nature. And since there's nothing to change in there, I thought we do really need a third strong storyline to be flowing, one which is designed in the spirit of the old "Secundae Orphanage" as we used to have in the CG forums; one that keeps moving with a mid-pace (just to give a "name" to its posting flow), with a definite storyline going on, but a plot that is designed so it can shift its focus immediately when a new poster arrives.

So, those are the requirements. Now, any idea is welcome.

On my part, I would suggest that this new RP game should have a limit of one post a day per player, just to keep the post rate flowing, but avoiding it to go overboard. For the nature of the game (with it being a basically a welcoming storyline), I would love to run it along with Jas (and anyone else who wants to join). The basic requirement would be to always stick to the welcoming nature of the storyline.

I think that's all I have. I'm sorry if I rambled too much, I just can't help it, lol. So, what do you think, guys?

Qwaring's clone#1
09-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Here I come, with my usual brainstorming...

I've read that the generation of First is very much like reincarnation. As the old First fade away and die they are reincarnated into the forms of the First in our RPs.

So where do First go when they die? Maybe not an afterlife. Maybe First can't really die, they just fade away into another realm, where they are "processed" and sent back out into the universe.

This realm would be a place where a faded First developes into who they will be when they re-enter the universe. The process would work like this: Egidion, a godling of combat that I used to RP on the CG RP forum, dies or fades away. He awakens in this other-realm in a near blank state (like many of us started on the old CG MB RP, before we figured out what kind of character we wanted or exactly what we were doing). Over time, as the being formerly known as Egidion explores this realm and interacts with the other First and any natives of this realm, he begins to develope into someone new (or maybe into someone new, but very similar to the way he was as Egidion). And then when the time is right he is drawn out of this realm and sent into the universe as Alain LeCavalier on Emporium.

The problem is that there used to be tens of thousands of First in the universe, and now there are only a handful. And so something has gone wrong with the other realm. Something is preventing First from going where they need to go. Maybe it's up to a group of new arrivals to explore the realm and figure out what's gone wrong.

Add to this setting some local inhabitants, who aren't First but are just as interesting and weird (maybe they're "clones" that are formed from the lost memories from the old lives of faded First). And maybe throw in a caretaker of this realm, who is more powerful than a First while in this realm, and so he or she can try and maintain order here (Maybe a "god of titles", who makes sure the "gods of..." and the "goddesses of..." are safely guided through this realm and back into the universe). But this caretaker would be unaware of what's wrong with the realm, and unable to fix it without the help of the characters involved in this RP.

Honor's Angel
09-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Well I think they are great ideas all around. :)

Optimus Prime
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Have a mid pace thread sounds like a good idea to me.

Sojourn
09-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a great idea you guys got for a new thread. It would be a great place for newbies to post in too. :)

Meteoro
09-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the good vibes :)

I really like what you're coming up with in here, Q. I love the idea of a place that serves as some sort of limbo before the characters get dispatched into what their lives will be. This would be a great way to inform the players of what is going on in the other threads/storylines, as if preparing them for the roles they will be playing in these new lives they will be taking over.

Also, sending a group of characters into this realm, or planet, or limbo, would be a great way to introduce it in the form of a storyline. It sounds great to me and I think it will be great to play in this environment.

The things I would like to keep to a minimum would be the references to past characters and past stories from the old CG universe. If we go that way, it would open a door to start bringing back past stories and even past characters, and once again we'd end up with a universe with so much baggage and so complex that it would scare new players away. Of course, the reincarnation fact could still be in play, but in a way that the new characters won't remember who they used to be. If someone wants to recreate a character, that's always okay. The way Angel, Corey and Jenn did, I think works great in this setting. We can recognize who they were, but there are no references to past stories from the old CG Universe.

What do you guys think?

Qwaring's clone#1
09-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Good points, M.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I probably didn't make it clear. I do that sometimes when I start brainstorming ideas.
The characters that appear in this limbo will essentially be a blank slate. I only used one of my old characters in the example for how this realm works, but I didn't intend for us to bring in things from the old RP forum.

I have my own early RP experiences in mind when I came up with this idea. I first started with a character that was essentially a blank slate on the Secundae Orphanage thread. I didn't have any clear ideas for the character, and so he was vague at first with no real powers. Over time I built up the character, I added traits, history and abilities as I became more confident in my writing and learned more about the setting. And then by the time my character left the orphanage I had him fully formed. And even though I had created a history for my character, he was brand new for me. So even though the First in limbo are reincarnations, they're also brand new characters.
I'm thinking that's the process characters in limbo will go through.

Maybe the whole point of limbo is for a character to rediscover their title. They arrive without knowing what they're a god of, and through their experiences in limbo they relearn what it is, and only then does a portal to the outside universe open. And somehow First are getting out of limbo before they learn about their true power and title, and so we end up with First that either live their lives without discovering their true nature, or are just now discovering what they are on the RP worlds, like Nero and Emporium. Maybe that can be the mystery the characters in limbo need to solve. Who's letting First out of limbo before they can figure out who they are?

Also, when a character leaves limbo, maybe they would lose their memory of it. It will fade depending on how much a player wants their character to remember. Maybe the First will encounter someone they met in limbo, and will only remember that they know this other First from somewhere, but won't remember where exactly. They could remember adventures with this other First, but nothing that's absolutely clear.

If the limbo idea is okay with everyone, maybe we should discuss what kind of environment it should be. I'm thinking it should be a limited space (like the Secundae Orphanage or Sigil Bearer TreeHouse was back in the old RP), and maybe not a huge world. Maybe something the size of an island, town or a really big structure. It'll be big enough to have several adventures, but maybe not so big that it takes forever for characters to encounter each other. I don't have any clear ideas for what kind of environment it should be. At least no clear ideas right now.

Meteoro
09-04-2011, 08:07 AM
I got it, Q, I think we're on the same page here. That's also the way I work through my characters. I establish a general (a bit vague) view of them and I start building from there. I like the idea of giving the new poster the chance to remember and keep whatever he/she thinks fit his/her new character and the storyline they will be following, from their experience in this new place. We could even train them a bit (as we train them how to roleplay if needed) and hand them items that could work for their characters. I think the storyline in this thread should be a bit of everything, not fully in continuity (since some of what happens here could be left behind for the new characters sake), yet not completely chaotic either, in the sense that it can still contain a nice storyline.

As for the place, I think this setting shouldn't be placed within one of the existing planets not be dragged into their particular storylines, but I agree it shouldn't be too big. Unless we change the "physics" of this place in a way that the main characters of this story will always drag this new character to the main spot where things are going on. It could also be an asteroid (let's pretend it's a little moon the way moons got described in The Little Prince, let me add a picture.

http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/575811-bigthumbnail.jpg

Well, maybe a little bigger than this.

I'm thinking of naming it "The Crossroads Asteroid" and then add something like "The New Character Pool at Crossroads Asteroids" or something like that (I hate the ring to "New Character Pool" name, but that's the basic idea, still, it should be something that screams "POST YOUR NEW CHARACTERS HERE").

Revelator
09-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I like this idea as it would help me learn more about the setting. Also I didn't think emporium would be THIS slow. Not that I'm complaining, but I'd enjoy something faster paced too.

Shadowseldil
09-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Um... I'm still new to the whole "firsts" universe. What is a Secundae? I must have missed it somewhere.

And, part of the reason that there are so few awakened Firsts is that Maverik has been killing off a bunch of reawakening Firsts. As of the "present," he has had 1,931 missions, and most of them had more than one target, as Firsts tend to reemerge in groups. And, of those previous 1,931, he has only failed a handful of times, so... est. maybe 4,000 firsts? Albeit, he has killed some of them more than once. Just something to consider.

Meteoro
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm glad you liked this idea, Revelator. When I first started discussing with Jas about the pace of our two main stories, I thought about including you in the plans, mostly to give you something else to do since we know the World of Emporium is meant to be quite slow. But I chose not to, because in other occasions I turned out to be a bit pushy with newcomers and, well, it's much better if you decide where you want to go on your own :)

So, you're most welcome to join this new storyline. We just have to define a few things about it first, so the settings is appealing enough for new arrivals.

Meteoro
09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Um... I'm still new to the whole "firsts" universe. What is a Secundae?

I think the Secundae part of the CG Universe was somehow left behind on purpose, you know, to straighten down the concepts not to confuse new arrivals. But since you're curious, here's basically how it goes: In The First (the comic book), Secundaes were the offspring of the First, their children so to speak. Their powers were lower and they also had a second rank when it came down to their hierarchy. The concept took a bit of a twist in our RP games, since in the old days of the CrossGen forums, we used to have this tag attached to our nicknames that changed with the number of posts. We started as Sigil-Bearer, then we became Secundae, later on, we became a First. So, in our RP games, we made the Secundae to be somehow lesser gods that could evolve into Firsts. So, that's the long story short :)

Qwaring's clone#1
09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
As for the place, I think this setting shouldn't be placed within one of the existing planets not be dragged into their particular storylines, but I agree it shouldn't be too big. Unless we change the "physics" of this place in a way that the main characters of this story will always drag this new character to the main spot where things are going on. It could also be an asteroid (let's pretend it's a little moon the way moons got described in The Little Prince, let me add a picture.

I'm thinking of naming it "The Crossroads Asteroid" and then add something like "The New Character Pool at Crossroads Asteroids" or something like that (I hate the ring to "New Character Pool" name, but that's the basic idea, still, it should be something that screams "POST YOUR NEW CHARACTERS HERE").
All of this sounds good to me. It would have crazy physicis, so that this asteroid has normal gravity and an atmosphere, even though it's small enough for someone to walk from one side to the other in a few days.

I like the idea of having the characters start out at a crossroads. Maybe that's where the caretaker of this world remains most of the time. He (or she) stands, or sits, at the corssroads and gives every new character the same welcome and explains how the world works to them. The caregiver would also answer questions. I say the caregiver would give the same welcome, because we could make that the first post for the thread, and the first thing someone reads when they start reading the thread. And we can repost it for each new arrival, just so all of the information is easily available for every new person.

As for locations on the asteroid, I'm thinking about a few "club houses". There would be a Red House on one side of the asteroid, and a Gold House on the other side. These would be simplified Sinister and Dexter houses. We wouldn't split up the world with house politics, like the old Elysia, they would just be places for characters to hang out. If someone is selfish they would be more likely to hang out at Red House. If they were more selfless, then they would hang out at Gold House. Plus a little friendly rivalry between houses might be fun.

Maybe a House of Worlds, which is where the portals leading away from the asteroid and to a character's new home is located (although, the portals here will never open unless a character has reached a point where they're ready to leave, such as finding their title). The caretaker might be able to use the House of Worlds to view other worlds in the universe and show other worlds to the new characters in order to educate them about different places in the RP universe.

And maybe one other house or location.

Qwaring's clone#1
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
And, part of the reason that there are so few awakened Firsts is that Maverik has been killing off a bunch of reawakening Firsts. As of the "present," he has had 1,931 missions, and most of them had more than one target, as Firsts tend to reemerge in groups. And, of those previous 1,931, he has only failed a handful of times, so... est. maybe 4,000 firsts? Albeit, he has killed some of them more than once. Just something to consider.
Good point. I didn't know that.

Qwaring's clone#1
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I think the Secundae part of the CG Universe was somehow left behind on purpose, you know, to straighten down the concepts not to confuse new arrivals. But since you're curious, here's basically how it goes: In The First (the comic book), Secundaes were the offspring of the First, their children so to speak. Their powers were lower and they also had a second rank when it came down to their hierarchy. The concept took a bit of a twist in our RP games, since in the old days of the CrossGen forums, we used to have this tag attached to our nicknames that changed with the number of posts. We started as Sigil-Bearer, then we became Secundae, later on, we became a First. So, in our RP games, we made the Secundae to be somehow lesser gods that could evolve into Firsts. So, that's the long story short :)
I think Mattson said something about wanting to focus on First, and didn't want to include children of First in the begining.

Meteoro
09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey, Q, those are great ideas, I do like a lot this thing about the club houses, bringing the red and the gold back (without going all the way to explaining the Houses) would be a nice touch for those who are familiar with the old setting.

The third house, could actually be a portal in itself, with a "House Guardian" at the door. Once a character goes through that door, their new life begins :).

Shadowseldil
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Good point. I didn't know that.

He isn't known as "the Hunter" because it sounds good. ^_^

Meteoro
09-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Oh, but "The Hunter" DOES sound good, lol.

Quaxo9
09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a character who has been living in limbo for a very long time...I think she knows a lot about the world, perhaps I could have her help the caretaker (if not be the caretaker)? She's kind of a blank slate too, though also very self-aware. I suppose she just hasn't experienced very much outside of who she is. Could be an interesting sort of character to have hanging about - if nothing else, she can talk about souls those willing to listen.

The only reason I would like her not to be the caretaker would be so that she has the chance to learn new things and see new worlds. For that matter, couldn't we all just take the role of caretaker if we're just reposting the initial post? Anyone versed in CGR could answer questions and what not - and I think we're all talented enough to write a character in a similar fashion. Just a thought.

Maybe she could be the yellow club houses' cleaning lady. ;)

Qwaring's clone#1
09-05-2011, 02:45 PM
For that matter, couldn't we all just take the role of caretaker if we're just reposting the initial post? Anyone versed in CGR could answer questions and what not - and I think we're all talented enough to write a character in a similar fashion. Just a thought.
I like that idea. The caretaker could be a shared character. Shared among us veteran RPers, that is.

Does anyone have any ideas for what kind of character the caretaker would be?

Meteoro
09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I like the idea of a shared caretaker :D

And at the same time, we can have other characters having their own storyline in this Crossroad point.

Quaxo9
09-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Yay! Glad you like! For the caretaker, I'd love to do something stereotypical grandfather-figureish, but I don't know if we want that cliche. We could steal the Caretaker's image from Voyager. ;) At least he'd be easy to play because we're all familiar.

Meteoro
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Er-- I don't know this Caretaker :P

Qwaring's clone#1
09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I picture an incredibly helpful old man that is always fixing or cleaning the road signs at the crossroads, like he's just the caretaker for the signs. The signs will point at which road leads to which house.

Maybe he always carries a toolbox for his sign maintenance tools.

And he's always giving sage advise.

Qwaring's clone#1
09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Here's a thought... Do we want this beginner RP thread to be a sticky thread? Would that be alright? Just so it's at the top for new players to find right away.

Meteoro
09-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I think it makes sense to have it as a sticky. When you're visiting a new site, you need to find the help as fast as you can.

Quaxo9
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Great ideas, lads! And yes, M, the Caretaker from Voyager appeared as an old man who was always fixing things - he was the one who brought them to that side of the Universe to begin with. So, soft, fluffy outside - uber-powerful inside! I like the idea that he appears to be only maintaining the signs. Perhaps...what if he had a bunch on hand that he could add depending on who shows up? Like if someone has an idea for their character but doesn't know how to get them there? Or even just for kicks. Like "Your mom" or "Nose Picking Club" and stuff like that.

I could be taking this a little far ;)

Meteoro
09-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love it :D

Jason Sanborn
09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
There are certainly some great ideas here. I have nothing new to add to the discussion, but love how it is moving along. :)

Honor's Angel
09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
I have nothing to add either except these are all great ideas. :)

Meteoro
09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Then, I think we're set to get this thread started. Does anybody want to write the main greeting the Caretaker would be giving every new visitor? Qwaring? I think you get the privilege to type it down since it was your idea :)

Qwaring's clone#1
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry about the late repsonce here. I had a bit of writer's block on this one and had to give it some thought.

We haven't made any decisions about what the asteroid specifically looks like or what the caretakers name will be, so I've filled in those blanks. What I've written is just a bunch of place-holders and can be replaced if anyone has any better ideas.

Here's my first draft for an opening post:

On an asteroid gliding its way through an isolated little galaxy.

The first thing that is noticable is the soft, welcoming breeze. The atmosphere of this miniature world offers the new arrival a clear breath and a cool embrace to counter the warm glow of the many clusters of stars that shine behind the blue skies and clouds.

Next comes the colors. A world of colors stretching out from horizon to horizon. A sky of sunset red and orange to the west. A sky of sunrise gold and amber to the east. A landscape of green trees and shrubbery covering a violet soiled world. Beneath lies a road made of countless polished and shining stones of deep, dark azure color. The road is really a crossroads, leading into three conjoined paths. One shining path leads to the east, another to the west and the final path leads to the south.

Then the sound of humming becomes noticable. Mingled in with the cheerful humming is the sound of a squeeky screw being tightened into place. Following these sounds to their source reveals a man standing on a small, wooden step-ladder beside a wooden pole standing to the north of the crossroads. On the very top of the wooden pole is a trio of wooden signs, each one pointing down a different fork in the crossroads. The man on the ladder, an elderly looking man with short white hair, worn coveralls, a simple longsleeved shirt, and workboots, is busy humming and adjusting the screws holding up one of the signs. The old workman finishes his work on the sign, pockets the screwdriver and wipes off the sign with a rag from his back pocket. Once he's satisfied with the condition of the sign he turns and notices the newcomer for the first time. With a smile and a wave he climbs down from his ladder and approaches the new arrival.

"Hello there, kid. A little lost?
"Well, let's see if I can help you out. I'm Redmon, the caretaker here. I make sure everyone gets pointed in the right direction." The old man wipes his brow onto his sleeve and pulls a small piece of paper out of his pocket. He soon pulls a pair of spectacles out of his shirt pocket and puts them on in order to clearly read from his piece of paper.

"I have this written down so I can get it right... ahem... 'Welcome to the crossroads. It's where the First come to figure out who they are and what they want to be before they can move on to where they belong in this universe. You're a First. A god. And you're here to figure out your title. You need to find out what you're the god of before you can someday move on to a new world.'" He pulls off his glasses while putting them and his paper back into the pockets they came from. He continues speaking to the newcomer with an honestly cheerful smile.

"I can't tell you what your title is. I'm afraid unless it's about pointing out paths it's outside of my expertise."
"I can get you started on your journey.
"Let's see... Down that road-" He points at the road leading towards the sunset crimson west.

"-About fifteen minutes of walking- is the Red house. That's where a First can look for answers inside of themselves. Down that road-" He points at the road leading towards sunrise amber east.

"-Fifteen minutes of walking- is the Gold House. That's where a First can look for answers in others. Both houses are fine places to explore. Feel free to check out both. You can meet some intersting folks there." The old man walks back to the laddeer and signpost. He leans down to a wooden toolbox resting at the base of the pole and recovers a hammer and a handful of nails. He pauses and then turns back around to face the newcomer with a generous smile.

"Oh- almost forgot... Down the third road is the House of Doors. When you've figured out your title you can go there to move on to the world where you belong.
"That's pretty much it, kid. Just pick a road, explore, meet some folks, have fun and maybe figure out yourself on the way. I suppose unless you've got any questions I should be getting back to work. Someone's got to make sure the signs point everyone to the right paths." The old man gestures back towards the wooden signpost and patiently waits for whatever this newly arrived First has to say.

Meteoro
09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Just read it and I like it quite a bunch, Q. It would make for a great introduction and I love the part that is the "official welcome" to any of the new arrivals.

Now, two things come to mind. First, not everyone arriving will want to create a First. Some people might like to play a different kind of character and I think it would be best to keep that option open. Maybe creating a third house, one up to the North might help us solve this dilemma, how about calling it "the Gray House"? It would fit the color scheme while giving something a bit different.

Second, I really like the portrayal of the welcoming old man, but the name, "Redmon", leads me directly to the Red House and I think it should stand apart of it. Following your same line of thought, maybe "Raymon" could work. It sounds like "Raymond" plus "Demon", lol, let me know what you think :)

I like the idea of the world or asteroid being small, should we give it an actual size? Maybe a 5 mille diameter? It would be large enough to create different places and not so big to get lost. As for its name, I think "Crossroads World" or "Crossroads Asteroid" could work nice.

What do you think? Q? Guys?

Jason Sanborn
09-20-2011, 09:00 AM
You know, the forum has a way of sending a welcome PM to all new comers. I'm wondering if we should have a simple paragraph to begin with to welcome and give a brief introduction, followed by something like Q's introduction, with link(s) to forums.

The idea is to convey the welcome and introduction in a paragraph, so as to not overwhelm, and the rest of the introduction becomes "optional."

Meteoro
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Sounds good to me, Jas. A first post that could give a quick welcome to the Crossroads World and to the forum, it can even be ICly, just brief, and then we can jump into a larger post.

Meteoro
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Okay, I got this thread started already. I used most of Qwaring's post with a few twitches, I added Gray House (for the commoners since not everyone will be a First), changed the name of the caretaker to Raymon (instead of Redmon not to favor Red House), and opened the chance for new players to chose a "commoner" instead of a god.

If you have any suggestion please let me know, this is a work in progress and anything can be fixed.

Raymon will be an NPC for us old-timers to use to greet new players, so anyone can basically take over him to guide new arrivals.

If anyone wants to join a storyline, it'd be great to have something rolling to test this new setting :)

Jason Sanborn
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Great opening post, M! :D

Jason Sanborn
10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Oh, and Q too, since he's the one that came up with the post. ;)

Meteoro
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah, he did most of the work, I just twitched a few things :D

Optimus Prime
10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Very nice. ;)

Sojourn
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Great start. Someone should add an entry for it on the Crossgen Story Reviews thread. ;)

Meteoro
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM
That's right! I'll do that tomorrow :)