PDA

View Full Version : Info for Jacen

Jacen Bell
02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
This Thread was created so i could keep diffrent info for difffrent threads im in

Jacen Bell
02-07-2005, 09:43 PM
1) post Pre-War Games Info

Issue * Detective 801

Subtitle City of Crime
* * * * * * * * * + The Barker part 1: When You're Strange

Date February 2005

Writer(s) David Lapham
* * * * * * * * * + Mike Carey

Artist(s) Ramon Bachs, Nathan Massengill
* * * * * * * * *+ John Lucas

storyline NOTE: PRE-WAR GAMES

Batman saved a young girl from getting raped, topped what could have turned * * * * * * * * * into domestic violence, kept a man from getting mugged in a bad part of town. Countless * * * * * * * * other crimes went untouched in Gotham City.
Batman went after the killer of a fourteen year old girl. He was too late. The killer was killed by his dealer when he learned the girl had OD'd. After taking down the dealer, Batman called Robin: an apartment building was on fire.

+ A young carney got himself killed. His friends all witnessed the murder, but the police ruled it an accident.

Jacen Bell
02-07-2005, 09:47 PM
2) post Pre-War Games Info

Issue * Detective 802

Subtitle City of Crime part 2: The Secret Keepers
* * * * * * * * * + The Barker part 2: When You're Strange

Date March 2005

Writer(s) David Lapham
* * * * * * * * * + Mike Carey

Artist(s) Ramon Bachs, Nathan Massengill
* * * * * * * * *+ John Lucas

storyline NOTE: PRE-WAR GAMES

Batman and Robin rescued victims of a huge apartment building fire. Penguin watched news reports of the fire closely. Batman recovered one pregnant woman's body, but not that of five others. He informed police he felt they were being held prisoner. Back in the cave, Robin told Batman about a girl that had come to the door a few days earlier. He visited a woman who claimed her pregnant daughter was in the building.

+ The friends of the dead carney began their own investigation of his death.

Jacen Bell
02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
3)post Pre-War Games info

The second part of this pre-War Games tale has Batman and Robin saving people from a building fire. Now...I've never read the Robin series...but Lapham's Tim Drake seems much more jokey/daredevil-y than the brainy character I've read about in other Bat and DC books. He's more young Dick Grayson...fun without being obnoxious. Something tells me Lapham is writing an All-Star Robin (a combo of qualities of the character "Robin" from over the years) than Tim. Since I have no deep connection to the Tim Drake character, this didn't bother me much. I like Lapham's Batman...he's focused, direct...perhaps a little too gloomy...but he never lets people die, no matter how "bad" they are, and he's not above sitting down and having tea with a mother in mourning...while in costume. No more urban legend for this guy!

The story is starting to come together...the Paris Hilton character, who Bruce rebuffed and who ended up dead of an overdose last issue, had visited Wayne manor and took a small crystal vase just before she died. Bruce learned this by going over the manor's security recordings after Tim tells him she came by the house the day before. Now Bruce feels extra guilty...his cold comments to her at a party, he thinks, triggered the emotional response that led to the overdose and the trinket from his living room may have payed for it. Compounding that is the fact that he couldn't save six pregnant teens who were locked in a bedroom in the destroyed building. There is a baby-selling ring that involves Gotham city hall, some of the GCPD, and at least a few Bat-villains (Penguin and Mr. Freeze were seen in this issue). The mother who Batman has tea with had a teen daughter, possibly pregnant, who ran away from home with a boyfriend. She believes that her daughter may be one of the six dead girls, but we don't know that yet. So...Batman has a dead rich girl, six dead teens, and a missing girl...are they all connected? That's why they call it Detective Comics...we don't know yet. Man...does it suck to be a girl or woman in superhero comics or what?

Jacen Bell
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
4)post Pre-War Games info

There is a nice sequence on one page of this issue. Batman appears in the grieving family's apartment. As he's talking to them, he turns his back...looking out of one of their windows. The mother, very freaked out by this guy in her home, starts to edge toward a knife in the kitchen area. Batman, never turning around, says quietly, "Go ahead...pick it up if it will make you feel better.". She does, initially holding it defensively...Batman swears to her that he will find her daughter...slowly, she relaxes and puts down the knife..."Would you like some tea?", she asks. The next page has a full panel of Batman sitting at their small kitchen table...a cup a tea in front of him.