PDA

View Full Version : Web Comic of our RP?

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Who would like to see a web comic of one or more of our RPs on the Comic Book Review site?

For that matter, who, of our resident artists, would be interested in drawing them?

There has been talk before of our stories being good enough to be comics themselves. Now there is actually an opportunity to test that theory. Does this idea have merit, or is this idea ready to be round-filed? Looking for your feedback. ;)

Edit for those who are just now finding this thread:

We are discussing adding one or more web comics to Comic Book Review adapted from our RP, altered enough to avoid copyright infringement, and to keep the story and characters true. We are looking for artists who want to commit to once a week updates of a web comic, whether it is a larger story, or just a small portrait of characters, so that no one gets left out. If this sounds interesting to you, let us know. :D

MystikChronicler
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
That might be hella cool. *Would adjustments need to be made to avoid copyright issues? *Man, I'm definitely interested in something like this. *We have so many talented people on this board that this is worth futher exploration.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 02:39 PM
I've actually thought about this. I'd be interested in being involved in some way.

But there is one major problem with the idea, our RP's are based on the property of others. If we make a comic of our CG RP then we could get sued for copyright infringment. If a comic is at all possible then things will have to be changed enough so that the source material isn't obvious. I suppose if enough of us put our heads together we could come up with ways of changing or substituting certain elements so that essentially our stories have no real ties to their sources.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Well, I think our CG stuff is quite a bit different to avoid the copyright without too much of a problem. DC and Marvel we might have to avoid, due to copyright issues. But there's still plenty of open stuff we can use. :)

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 02:41 PM
To avoid the copyright stuff, I'm sure we can change certain elements without losing the story at all. Renaming the First and the like. :whaat:

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
What about... *The Last!

:shocked:

I mean, instead of The First. *:mrgreen:

Nah? *:?

Well, it was worth a shot. *:whaat:

All in all, I simply loooooooove the idea! *I know Gerald and I are supposed to be working on another strip, but things just haven't settled down on our side to finally focus on the project... *We'll still be doing it, but just not exactly right now... *:oops:

Anyways, besides the brief appology, I think Jas idea is simply great and I'd go for it! *I'll help with whatever I can. *And I agree with Jas when he said our stuff is different enough to make some minor changes to avoid copyright infringment and still be true to our characters' history.

Great idea!

:thumleft: M :thumright:

Daveosaurus
05-19-2005, 02:58 PM

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
:thinking:

And if we rename The First into The Last, then the Secundae could become the Penultimate. *:whaat:

:cool1: M :cool1:

Lairston
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
No no no... that is the Vampire Lestat, he is the VAMPYRE Lestat. There is no similarity between them

Sorta like Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Captain Mar-Vel (alien from another planet)

Similar names. Different characters

As for ownership... CBReview owns everything. Its in our join agreement.

What, Jason?

You forgot to put that in?

WHAT??????????

:cry:

It looks like everyone owns there own characters :cry:

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Well. One thing to keep in mind is that we won't be doing every single story. That's just too much to do. We'll probably pick the story, and work with others who helped with the story to keep everything in line. No one will "lose" their characters at any point. We are just taking what was written in RP and translating it to a web comic.

Let me take a "for example" - Kobalty: The major players in it have been myself, M and Q. Quaxo and Gary have also taken parts. If we decided to adapt Kobalty, we'd work together to determine what gets changed, and how it gets changed, but still keeps the same story.

Lairston
05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
BTW, I'm dying to see a QC#1 comic

Minity
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
LOL- how bout we just say they are gods of the universe...dont involve the Negation...and the atlanteans...dont know how to work that angle, and also secundae can just be second born, I can easily rename Minity into something, and speaking of the CG gods...none of them really resemble the First, I mean she made them so they wouldnt be the god of "this" and "that"...and all out gods actually ARE the gods of something...um

I could help drawing pictures of the characters, but Im slow at drawing because im busy- lol, um i cant color things, and its hard for me to draw backrounds- um...hm, I could help with the story adjustments as well...i think it would be interesting to say the least

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I love all the ideas! *

As for Lestat, well, only a minor change in the name would do it. *:whaat: *Jeff's character has evolved way beyond what the original Lestat stood for. *:whaat:

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Lestat would be up to Lestat. ;)

:whaat:

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:24 PM
For initial Web Comic ideas, I would recommend that smaller, mostly self-contained, SL's would be best for this type of format. They would require the least amount of modification to make sure they don't violate any intellectual properties.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Changing the concepts to fit what we need is easy, I've been doing that for years. Occassionally I'd get an idea for a comicbook character and since I'll never be able to use it for that character I create a character that would fit the story. I don't create a copy of the character I just create a character that's best suited for the story, there will be similarities but often times I'll end up with a unique character that works better than the original. We can keep only what's needed for the story and make up the rest. We'll be have more creative freedom.

MystikChronicler
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I think if we can find enough creative people to put the time and energy to adapting an RPG thread into a comic that it would be really great. *

If I may, can I suggest that we consider Crenna for adaptation especially since it's one of the easiest threads to alter to make it original material. *Especially considering that a good 95% of the thread is already original material.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:28 PM
I think Crenna would work as well. Here are some recommendations that I have:

Crenna
Eden
Kobalty
Realm of Nightmares

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
How about some backup stories? Small, 5-10 page, stories, or parts of stories, that spotlight specific characters or locations. Short stories that take a look at the various characters and stories that we have.

MystikChronicler
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I think all of these would work well. *Choosing a self-contained one also makes it easier for adapting since some of our bigger ones ran through so many threads that it could likely take as long just gathering all the info that it takes to create the comic.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Backup stories would work as well. Those would be shorter stories, but will still be just as good.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 03:37 PM
QC#1 wouldn't be restricted by the copyright issue since it could be considered humorous satire. Although putting that character into a comic would probably be so far out there that it will drive me insane.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
QC#1 has a tendancy to drive people insane. :rofl:

MystikChronicler
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
:rofl: @ Jas and Q.

Lairston
05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
QC#1 wouldn't be restricted by the copyright issue since it could be considered humorous satire. Although putting that character into a comic would probably be so far out there that it will drive me insane.

I think you should give it a try :whaat:

Lairston
05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
You know I'd also love to see an adaptation of the sl that brought me and qwaring into rp...

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Crenna
Eden
Kobalty
Realm of Nightmares
The only one of these that I'm familiar with is Kobalty. I think this one might work best if each issue were told from a different point of view. When a character faces their trial they become the narrator. Then the final *two issues would be narrated by the Well and lastly the Princess/King.

By the way, maybe we should start a thread on the Creative Forum in order to discuss any changes that need to be made for our stories and to brainstorm possible substitutions.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
You know I'd also love to see an adaptation of the sl that brought me and qwaring into rp... This would be a good choice. It would require some changes, since we won't be able to use anything Metallus. It wouldn't be too difficult to adapt though.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, you're familiar with the Realm of Nightmares, when the Azure Sunder become trapped there. :whaat:

I like the Kobalty idea better than the Realm, though. The Realm is far more serious, while Kobalty was a good combination of humor and seriousness. :D

BTW: We don't have to limit ourselves to one idea, either. Depending on the artists that are available, and how much time each artist has, we can do a couple different ones at a time. 8)

Shall we decide on which one to do next here, or just start a new thread in the Creative Forum? Either way works for me. ;)

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
:?

My last post didn't post and I really hate saying twice the same thing... *Oh, well, here it goes. *:roll:

We have to keep in mind that, whichever storyline gets chosen, would mean that there would be players that would be left out of this main storyline portrayed. *It would be important that we all realize this because it would be a shame if there were any hurt feelings resulting of such a nice proyect ;).

I think the back-up storylines mentioned by Q, should be spotlighting mostly characters whose owners aren't involved in the main storyline.

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
By the way, maybe we should start a thread on the Creative Forum in order to discuss any changes that need to be made for our stories and to brainstorm possible substitutions.

Whaaaat???? *:shocked:

I've never been at that forum! *:blink:

:shocked: M :shocked:

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree with M. I guess it should also come down to the artists that will be involved. There are several people with artistic ability here, but not everyone will be available to draw a web comic, due to their own personal time constraints. That will mean that people will still get left out, unless we have one person who decides to draw only the small storylines centered around one (or a couple of) characters. :whaat:

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I will ask Gerald if he's up to this task.This project would be much simpler than the one we first wanted and it could help to "warm up" with the system, so I think he may like it. *I'll let you know later.

He's kinda stuck with work right now :shocked:. *Well, I am too, but my head just blew up so I can't work anymore :razz:.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 04:31 PM
As I think about it more, I think that before we decide on what story to write, we should find out who is available for writing the web comic(s).

Right now, we have "I Need A Hero" appearing weekly on Saturday. We can have our other web comics also appearing once per week. This will give us time to discuss the story, and give the artist time to draw it. We'll have it appear on a different day of the week, so that way we will have a new web comic periodically through the week.

So, I guess the next question is: Who is willing and able to draw a web comic once a week?

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd love to see a strip drawn by Qwaring ;).

I'd update my sig if he did so. *:mrgreen:

Meteoro
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
As for the writing, I think there should be a writing team formed by the original players of the characters.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
If I do this I'd have to have a lot of the material finished before putting it online. I'd feel better if I had a great big head start.

And maybe I should do a few small comics, single short stories, before trying something big. A couple practice stories to figure out how we're going to be doing this.

And that's if I'm even capable to do something like this at all.

By the way, what format will this be in. Will the pages be laid out like a standard comic page? I haven't read a whole lot of online comics, so I don't know what is expected.

As for the writing, most of the material has already been written, now we just need someone or someones to come in and to clean things up so it will all fit into a comic.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 04:52 PM
As for the writing, I think there should be a writing team formed by the original players of the characters.

I agree with this. I also think there should be one "editor" who is willing to read over the dialogue before it is drawn into the comic, just to make sure spelling is correct. I don't think grammar is as important, as that would be just a character trait. :whaat:

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
:?

My last post didn't post and I really hate saying twice the same thing... Oh, well, here it goes. :roll:

We have to keep in mind that, whichever storyline gets chosen, would mean that there would be players that would be left out of this main storyline portrayed. It would be important that we all realize this because it would be a shame if there were any hurt feelings resulting of such a nice proyect ;).

I think the back-up storylines mentioned by Q, should be spotlighting mostly characters whose owners aren't involved in the main storyline.

Yep, that's why I suggested the short story idea. It will allow a lot of the characters to be put in the spotlight, plus it will help flesh out our RP universe.

And everyone should keep in mind that if their stories aren't used right away they can be used later on, if this idea is successful. If it isn't succesful then you can be happy to know that your story won't be blamed for ruining the comic idea.

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
If I do this I'd have to have a lot of the material finished before putting it online. I'd feel better if I had a great big head start.
I was thinking that is what would happen. We'd come up with the idea, and state what will go on a given "issue" and then you'd have time to draw it. We can go as far ahead as you feel is necessary to stay on top of things, even if that means the first strip doesn't go online for a month.

And maybe I should do a few small comics, single short stories, before trying something big. A couple practice stories to figure out how we're going to be doing this.

And that's if I'm even capable to do something like this at all.
That would be a good way to start. :)

By the way, what format will this be in. Will the pages be laid out like a standard comic page? I haven't read a whole lot of online comics, so I don't know what is expected.
It can be either a "page" like it was a page from a comic book, or a small strip, like you'd see in the comic section of a newspaper. It could also be something else entirely, as long as it is easy for the reader to follow. It is up to the artist to do, but I personally think the single page idea works the best. We just want to make sure that the comic, whatever format is used, will fit well into a browser at 800x600. I Need A Hero is too big, and causes horizontal scrolling, even on my browser.

As for the writing, most of the material has already been written, now we just need someone or someones to come in and to clean things up so it will all fit into a comic.
We need to cut it apart as well, so that we don't have too much or too little per page.

Here are some web comics that I read, that will give you an idea. You only need to look at one page of each, to get an idea. ;)

http://www.zortic.com/
http://www.zapinspace.com/
http://www.thewotch.com/
http://rpgworldcomic.com/
http://www.adventurers-comic.com/
http://www.antiheroforhire.com/

Random Character
05-19-2005, 05:20 PM
About copyright issues, this will solely depend on how anal the remains of CGE are. I know for a fact there is a Metal Gear Solid web comic, the Last Days of Foxhound and it has nearly 200 strips. Also, the anime Hellsing has a doushiji (fan comic) called And Shine Heaven Now that has run for around 2 years for roughly 7 days a week. Both give copy right credit to the creators of the characters they have borrowed. Something similer could be done when we decide to deal with the First. Of course, with property rights in limbo due to the buisness not existing, there may be other loopholes we can use.

As far as stories go, the side tale with Elixia, Jalissa, and co in the MQ could well work. I'd have to change Elixia's name for it since she is swipped from Steel Angel Karumi. But beyond that only minor tweaking would be needed. Also, Kelesar could work there too. Dagda was always refered to as demon marked not sigil bearer and most everything else there was original material.

Random Character
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Also, I may be asking for it but I could serve as editor for some of these.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 05:53 PM
About copyright issues, this will solely depend on how anal the remains of CGE are. I know for a fact there is a Metal Gear Solid web comic, the Last Days of Foxhound and it has nearly 200 strips. Also, the anime Hellsing has a doushiji (fan comic) called And Shine Heaven Now that has run for around 2 years for roughly 7 days a week. Both give copy right credit to the creators of the characters they have borrowed. Something similer could be done when we decide to deal with the First. Of course, with property rights in limbo due to the buisness not existing, there may be other loopholes we can use.
Giving credit to the creators wouldn't help, it would still be copyright infringment. Publishing new stories with First, Sigil Bearers, Secundae, Negation, ect would be illegal and knowingly doing this would leave us open to legal action from the current or future copyright holders. I'd hate to start working on this if there was a risk of someone sending in a cease and desist order, so that we couldn't continue and we'd have to take anything we had already done offline, never to be used again. Why risk it.

By the way, who bought the rights to the CG material?

Jason Sanborn
05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Disney owns the rights to the CG Properties as far as I know.

Qwathings
05-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Disney owns the rights to the CG Properties as far as I know.
Yeah, it's best not to risk it. I think Disney would have a pretty tight hold on their copyrights.

Beware the Mouse.

Daveosaurus
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM

RPTink!
05-20-2005, 03:01 AM
I like the idea, having often imagined some sl's as comics. *I think working on short stories would definitely be best, and also suggest we have several artists (I know these boards have a few) work on different stories at the same time, that way we'd always be ahead of the game. *I say this as someone who'd like to help provide some b&w art, but probably won't be able to commit to a page a week. *So once Q's first story is completed, another would be ready to take its place while Q can work on a new one (for example).

Daveosaurus
05-20-2005, 04:09 AM

Quaxo's Quorum
05-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Did someone ask for an editor? Of course, now I'm the third to volunteer, *but hey, *you can't have too many editors! *Q'guer is another possibillity for a web comic. It's quite self-contained and if we throw in some more Hexer involvement, the storyline would definitely be amped up. Of course, it would ROCK to have Kelesar on there - Charissa in colour - would the world survive? :P

Other excellent examples of webcomics: *http://www.stormcorps.com *and if you go to their links page, check out Cascadia - if I had four thumbs, they'd all be up!

Great coalescing of ideas here people! I love Q's idea of mini "spotlights" at the end - kind of like in the old Alpha Flight, where after each issue, you found out about the history of one of the team. It was nice to have the backgrounds contained in a little story instead of having it integrated into the whole comic. I'm still learning how to draw, so I'm afraid I'm not much help there, and all I have is paint, so my colouring may not be the best either. :P Oh, that brings up a point - which form of spelling are we going to use? American or Canadian/British? Would it be character specific, or should they all be the same?

Meteoro
05-20-2005, 07:19 AM
I agree with the thought of twitching things a little to stay away from Crossgen's properties. *It would be a shame to start working under the shadow of a company that failed ;).

All in all, the twitching would be minimal since our characters have evolved well enough away from their basic concept.

As for suggesting a storyline, I think the one that would work the best to be worked on would be Kobalty. *Mostly because there's always only 1 thing going on at the same time, it is self contained and all of the characters have a strong background that could help to give hints into other areas of our universe. *I know I'm biaised but this is my opinion. *I would be okay if another one got chosen. *;)

As for Gerald being part of the drawing team, he told me that we should be working on what we had already planned instead of jumping from one project to another without getting the first one really started (of course, I'm the one who tend to do that kind of things :oops:), so, we'd be sticking to our original idea. *All in all, we'll be taking advantage of the sinergy created now and finally get down to work. *:thumleft:

Meteoro
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
To keep the ball rolling, I started a thread (http://www.cbreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63556#63556) at the Creative Forum to start dealing with the twitchings of our RP universe ;).

Jason Sanborn
05-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Okay, a couple thoughts on what has been brought up.

Tink's idea is good, about rotating between the artists. My thought was that we get enough ahead before we post the first issue, then do it weekly. That way, instead of just one comic appearing per week, we could have as many as we have artists. Of course, either way works fine. ;)

Regarding which "English" to use. I think that depends on the particular artist doing the strip. I don't see a big issue with using color or colour. I think the editing should focus more on correct spelling, and using the correct word (they're their there, too two to, etc).

The link that M posted is good, and we can use it for discussing and standardizing the changes we need to make in regards to our characters and stories to avoid copyright violations. We can use this thread for the determining who will participate, and what stories, or small character profiles, that we will do.

I'm going to list the volunteers here. If I've listed you (or forgot to list you) by mistake, let me know and I'll update the list.

Artists:
Qwaring
Tink

Editing:
Dave
Mattson
Quaxo

In addition, I think it would be good for an artist and an editor to "team-up." Instead of everyone looking over an artist's work, just one person works with the artist, and they work together as a team to put out the comic.

Quaxo's Quorum
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Tink and I thought it would be a great idea to have artist/editor teams and we'd like to team up (surprise surprise). Another possible SL we see is Brath - which of course, didnt' have Brath in it, so it is easily changed over. In fact, the RP was nothing really like the comic so far as I can tell. ;)

Jason Sanborn
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not surprised by any of those statements, Quaxo. ;)

Quaxo's Quorum
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
What (Brath) could you (Brath) possibly (BrathBrathBrath) mean by that (Brath) statement, Jason? (BRATHBRATHBRATHBRATH) Oh, you mean me and Tink teaming up? (check out that fantastic grammar) :P

;)

Aliexster
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Jeez, I can't believe how big this thread has become, seems like this is a rather popular idea. It has some merit, and it might be nice to see visual representations of our chacters without specific avatars, though it would be rather difficult to weed through some of the things. There are some places like Planet M that are a complete smorgasbourge of everything in the forums, from First to the clones. Though the rub is that is arguably the most popular thread of all time, about everybody has ended up there at some time or another. That and I would enjoy seeing Disne-stralia brought to life, even if it would just be to make fun of the House of Mouse. ^_^

Though if you do ned an extra editor somewhere, I'd be willing to help.

Meteoro
05-20-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm completely biaised here, but Planet M would definitely do a grrrrrreat novel! *:woot:. *Still, I think it is too much of a task since we're just getting started on this :whaat:.

Only time will tell, anyway. *Once we're used to the format, I really see Planet M as an ongoing :P. *:thumleft:

Qwaring's clone#1
05-20-2005, 05:19 PM
If we're going to be telling the story of the Champion Quest on Kobalty we'll need to mention Planet M, because of Lamiais and Clonathan. We'll also need Pennywise to give his consent, since Kobalty is his creation. We really have to get everyone's permission with these comics so we can figure out what we can and can't use without hurting someones feelings or just making people mad.

I for one approve of my RP characters and stories being used for these comics. I just want to get that out of the way and make it official.

Now for some technical stuff. I don't want to be in charge of dialogue. I'll probably have to do the lettering, but I'll want to just copy/paste what someone else has written, since I don't trust myself with dialogue.
How long will these comics be? If it's weekly then I don't see myself doing more than three pages at a time, in black and white since color would take longer. These three pages a week would combine to make a twelve page issue per month, which I hope to come up with a colored cover for. Looking over these last few sentences I can see I'm setting myself up for something that I might not be able to do, but if I can stay focused and have a nice head start then I could possibly pull this off (and if I can't pull it off I'll just blame my editor, bwa-hahahahaha!). Although if someone wants I can provide some coloring for their art, I just don't have time for both drawing and coloring.

Random Character
05-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Never colored myself so not sure if I'd suck or not. And one small note, Ruri may well be unable to be usable due to her origins. And tweaking would only result in a cheap copy. Might be OK with that but I'd have to think of a good way.

Aliexster
05-20-2005, 06:15 PM
I know I suck at coloring, but I'd be alright with the dialouge and for eas of use, I'd probably put it in screenplay format. I've seem to become acustomed to that. :P

Qwaring's clone#1
05-20-2005, 06:17 PM
In comics that's called "full scripting".

Aliexster
05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I was in the drama club for 3 years, I call it screenplay :P

Jason Sanborn
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
If we're going to be telling the story of the Champion Quest on Kobalty we'll need to mention Planet M, because of Lamiais and Clonathan. We'll also need Pennywise to give his consent, since Kobalty is his creation. We really have to get everyone's permission with these comics so we can figure out what we can and can't use without hurting someones feelings or just making people mad.
A quick PM to Penny will give us a yes or a no on that. He does still appear from time-to-time. Worst case scenario, we just set it in a new fantasy world. I don't think that'll be a problem.

I for one approve of my RP characters and stories being used for these comics. I just want to get that out of the way and make it official.
I give my approval for all my characters and locations.

INow for some technical stuff. I don't want to be in charge of dialogue. I'll probably have to do the lettering, but I'll want to just copy/paste what someone else has written, since I don't trust myself with dialogue.
Dialogue will be prewritten in the SL. It will only need to be edited to make sure spelling is correct. For lettering, many web-comics I have read use simple typed letters. No need to do the lettering.

IHow long will these comics be? If it's weekly then I don't see myself doing more than three pages at a time, in black and white since color would take longer. These three pages a week would combine to make a twelve page issue per month, which I hope to come up with a colored cover for. Looking over these last few sentences I can see I'm setting myself up for something that I might not be able to do, but if I can stay focused and have a nice head start then I could possibly pull this off (and if I can't pull it off I'll just blame my editor, bwa-hahahahaha!). Although if someone wants I can provide some coloring for their art, I just don't have time for both drawing and coloring.
I was thinking one page per week, to give time to get through it. If you want to go more frequently, that will be fine as well. As to how long? Well, equivalent of about a page in a comic book. It may be one cell, it may be eight cells. It all depends on what is necessary for that particular "page." That, of course, can be discussed among the participants, with final call going to the artist (as he'll be the one to determine how quickly it can be done). Coloring? Well, it would be nice to have it in color, but it isn't essential. I guess that will come down to the artist as well. Or if someone else wants to help with coloring, we can go that route as well. This can be pretty flexible to benefit everyone.

Meteoro
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I can help with the dialogues, too. *After all, we'd have an editor telling me, "hey, that word doesn't even exist :p"

And to make things official, yes, I consent on using my characters in this project ;). *Planet M is basically a multiplayer property. *Tigers created it. *It was mine. *Lestat got it as well. *Same as Banter and Qwaring. *As far as I see it, it belongs to the consensus. :whaat:

And yes, if the strip is based on Kobalty, several places would be mentioned and that's basically why I like that storyline. *It ties to several other places, yet it works on its own ;).

And we'd have to ask permission to Penny as well.

manekochan
05-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd love to do some drawing for Eden. (Hopefully, short, silly stuff... but if noone is willing to write that, then I can lend my brand of insanity to it just as easily.)

RPTink!
05-21-2005, 05:07 AM
So does anyone mind if Quackers and I start tossing around ideas regarding a webcomic based on the Brath RP? *The chars and SL are original and include no mention of sigils or what not so the only thing it really needs is a new title. *Plus, for a first installment I figure we'd only use the chars of Jas, Quackers and myself. *Considering my schedule for the next couple of months, this'll take quite a while to put together, so if there are no objections, getting an early start could help.

So... Yea? *Nay?

Meteoro
05-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, I think if you two are up to it, that would be the green light. *:whaat:

Jason Sanborn
05-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Go for it you two. I give you permission for my two characters that were in that SL. ;)

Daveosaurus
05-21-2005, 03:45 PM

Aliexster
05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Well to be honest, I got The Furry Mother thing from Klaus and thought it would be good if all werewolves swore to the same diety.

Well if we don't want to get into the whole Planet M thing, maybe we could do a page or two of like fadded pictures showing Clonathan the head of the Army of Darkness with Lamiais sulking behind, Lamiais destroying the clone factories, and other things to tell what they did, but not where they did it?

Oh, I should say I approve of you using Isianu, the Furry Mother, and anything else of mine.

Janus
05-21-2005, 05:08 PM
With the exception of Elixia and Ruri, any characters and locals that fall under my domain are open for use. Though I suggest the MQ simple be refered to as the Quadrant if it comes up.

Meteoro
05-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I think the casual recap would do for Lamiais and Clonathan. *Over the quest, they've talked over it several times, so it wouldn't feel forced to bring it up when it seems reasonable.

At first, though, it would be interesting just showing them throwing punch lines at each other and then, their original relationship can be explained later. *I'm with Dave in the fact that, at first, their origins could be clouded with a little mystery. * ;).

As for the Furry Mother, it's true that I kept using that name for all of my werewolf characters and, after that planning we did last year, Joe finally fleshed her out. *Still, for all intents, the Furry Mother is a property of Joe's Productions ;).

Meteoro
05-21-2005, 05:11 PM
With the exception of Elixia and Ruri, any characters and locals that fall under my domain are open for use. Though I suggest the MQ simple be refered to as the Quadrant if it comes up.

Hmmmmm... *If you like, we can make reference to your place as just the "Quadrant", but still, it's not like those movie guys *own the word "Matrix" *;). *Just my two cents.

Janus
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Much of the MQ has evolved and changed from its original set up and dropping the Martix from the title would give it less presumed stylings.

Vampyre Lestat
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Might be an interesting Turn if I was just "The Vampyre" * * Keep the real name hidden as it reflects the characters mortality which is something that he is hiding from yet longs for.

:)

Love the idea though.

manekochan
05-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Has anyone volunteered to write the Eden comic yet? I'd suggest Mil as the author since it's his SL anyway and cause he's such a stellar writer, of course.
I also approve my Eden characters for the webcomic except for Maneko. For Maneko I would have to preapprove each use and she may prove too much *of a hassle. (Sorry to be such a dink about it, but she's a character in my own comic universe and I don't want to cause any problems later down the line. She's also my mascot and I'd feel wierd letting anyone else play with her.)

Qwaring
05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Dialogue will be prewritten in the SL. It will only need to be edited to make sure spelling is correct. For lettering, many web-comics I have read use simple typed letters. No need to do the lettering.
Yeah, I meant I would be typing the lettering. I'm in the habit of viewing comics piecemeal, penciling, inking, lettering, coloring, so I just meant that I'd be handling the lettering task, not that I'd be lettering by hand. My writing is sloppy.

I was thinking one page per week, to give time to get through it. If you want to go more frequently, that will be fine as well. As to how long? Well, equivalent of about a page in a comic book. It may be one cell, it may be eight cells. It all depends on what is necessary for that particular "page." That, of course, can be discussed among the participants, with final call going to the artist (as he'll be the one to determine how quickly it can be done). Coloring? Well, it would be nice to have it in color, but it isn't essential. I guess that will come down to the artist as well. Or if someone else wants to help with coloring, we can go that route as well. This can be pretty flexible to benefit everyone.
I don't think I can do a page a week. That would be four pages a month and that would mean it would take five and a half months to get through a standard comicbook (which is twenty-two pages long). Plus I couldn't handle pacing a comic one page at a time. I'm a lazy storyteller that needs at least two or three pages to stretch out and nap on. Although I will later regret this decision, but I think the future me deserves a little stress.

Q... I'm with you on getting an OK from Pennywise but don't think it would be absolutely necessary to go into Planet M to explain Lamiais and Clonathan... You could always just show the two at each other's throats and leave their past as a mystery, as an impression of depth to their pasts that doesn't need to be explored right at the moment. After all Isianu was referring to the Furry Mother months before we put our heads together to actually figure out who she was.
Planet M is actually a pretty easy place to describe for Lamiais. It's a living planet that was built by the gods and acts as the battle field in their divine conflicts. Lamiais suspects the M in Planet M stands for Madness. Also clones are fun to kill and taste a lot like chicken.

My idea for Kobalty, and if someone doesn't like this then we don't have to use this, is for a simple intro to our characters to begin with, just enough information to get by, and then each trial will be narrated by the character that is being tested. This narration would include the character describing a little about thier background. The whole trial mini-arc would focus on that character. Then when the Well narrates it will reveal a little of it's history. Then when the princess narrates I'm thinking her narrative would slowly become the king's narrative and his/her history is revealed. Lamiais and Clonathan don't have to describe every minute of their lives on Planet M, just the vague highlights.

By the way, I feel sorry for the comicbook QC#1. He's just lost two of his best friends and his daddy doesn't have a name. Poor, poor Cloney.

Zeb
05-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Who would like to see a web comic of one or more of our RPs on the Comic Book Review site?

For that matter, who, of our resident artists, would be interested in drawing them?

There has been talk before of our stories being good enough to be comics themselves. Now there is actually an opportunity to test that theory. Does this idea have merit, or is this idea ready to be round-filed? Looking for your feedback. ;)

We are discussing adding one or more web comics to Comic Book Review adapted from our RP, altered enough to avoid copyright infringement, and to keep the story and characters true. We are looking for artists who want to commit to once a week updates of a web comic, whether it is a larger story, or just a small portrait of characters, so that no one gets left out. If this sounds interesting to you, let us know. :D

I'd love to see it. Espechally a *Gotham City and JLI one. (That is if I didn't kill the JLI RP. *:oops:)

Sounds great.

Jason Sanborn
05-21-2005, 11:06 PM

I'd love to see it. Espechally a *Gotham City and JLI one. (That is if I didn't kill the JLI RP. *:oops:)

Sounds great.
There really isn't a way we can do Gotham or JLI as it will infringe on copyrights. We're more talking about our RP in the CG Forums (with modifications to avoid copyright issues).

Jason Sanborn
05-21-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't think I can do a page a week. That would be four pages a month and that would mean it would take five and a half months to get through a standard comicbook (which is twenty-two pages long). Plus I couldn't handle pacing a comic one page at a time. I'm a lazy storyteller that needs at least two or three pages to stretch out and nap on. Although I will later regret this decision, but I think the future me deserves a little stress.
It'll be up to you exactly what you're "schedule" will be like. If you want to do one a week, three a week, or five a week. :whaat:

Also, the amount that is put onto a "page" can vary, and doesn't have to match comic book pages either. I use "page" just for simplicity sake.

Jason Sanborn
05-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Has anyone volunteered to write the Eden comic yet? I'd suggest Mil as the author since it's his SL anyway and cause he's such a stellar writer, of course.
I also approve my Eden characters for the webcomic except for Maneko. For Maneko I would have to preapprove each use and she may prove too much *of a hassle. (Sorry to be such a dink about it, but she's a character in my own comic universe and I don't want to cause any problems later down the line. She's also my mascot and I'd feel wierd letting anyone else play with her.)
I don't think Mil has checked this thread yet. I'm sure he'll be interested in Eden, if he has the time. I know he loves to draw as well (he's done several character pics), so he may choose to get involved in that way as well. Since I don't know what his time schedule is like, who knows where he'll stand on that issue. ;)

Zeb
05-22-2005, 12:18 AM
[quote="Jason Sanborn":33pdeo60]Who would like to see a web comic of one or more of our RPs on the Comic Book Review site?

Sounds great.
There really isn't a way we can do Gotham or JLI as it will infringe on copyrights. We're more talking about our RP in the CG Forums (with modifications to avoid copyright issues).[/quote:33pdeo60]

Change it back to New York City ? *Maybe *the dark files of New york etc? Change JLI *name to something else. How about Mutant Brigde? Or *Regulators? (Historical names can't be copy writed.) *Or Factor B. Or W Squad. LOr some thing.

Daveosaurus
05-22-2005, 02:44 AM

Random Character
05-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Zeb, a second problem for FKAJLE is that Keroro is an actual manga character with his own title, Sgt. Frog. Keroro means frog, just an FYI. And Motel is an homage to half the concept of the Excel Saga anime. Given that series was a mocking and a half of all that is anime, I figured turning to it to make an evil worthy of FKAJLA badness was fitting.

Zeb
05-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Zeb, a second problem for FKAJLE is that Keroro is an actual manga character with his own title, Sgt. Frog. Keroro means frog, just an FYI. And Motel is an homage to half the concept of the Excel Saga anime. Given that series was a mocking and a half of all that is anime, I figured turning to it to make an evil worthy of FKAJLA badness was fitting.

Well I usually never let facts get in the way of a good argument. *;) *:D But, in this case I relent. Good point. *Ah well it would have been cool though. *:( Thanx for your time.

Meteoro
05-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Might be an interesting Turn if I was just "The Vampyre" * * Keep the real name hidden as it reflects the characters mortality which is something that he is hiding from yet longs for.

Love the idea though.

I like it The Vampyre has style. *We could still use the Blood God and stuff. *:thumleft:

:thumleft: M :thumright:

Meteoro
05-22-2005, 08:57 AM

Well I usually never let facts get in the way of a good argument. *;) *:D But, in this case I relent. Good point. *Ah well it would have been cool though. *:( Thanx for your time.

Don't dismay, Zeb ;), this is just a "no", not a final "no". *At the moment we're focused on twisting some of the stuff from the CG Forum to turn it into a strip. *Later down the road we could work on reshaping other storylines so no copyright infringment would be done. *Just be patient. *At the moment we're completey focused on the first task and it will take a while. *;)

Meteoro
05-22-2005, 09:42 AM
You brought some very interesting points, Dave. *I will comment on this particular one ;).

Acknowledgements... To save on confusion would some sort of blanket acknowledgement be easier? i.e. "All characters depicted or referred to herein are copyright their original creators"? Less possibility for error than going through and naming each character and creator, particularly as some of us prefer to be anonymous on the internet.

I wholeheartedly agree with you when it comes down to a person who wants to keep his/her anonimity (is this even a word? :?), but personally, I would love to see my name attached to my characters. *:whaat: *I mean, I've invested quite a lot of time and energy in them and, whether they're liked or not, I feel like a proud daddy :p.

Zeb
05-22-2005, 11:22 AM

Don't dismay, Zeb ;), this is just a "no", not a final "no". *At the moment we're focused on twisting some of the stuff from the CG Forum to turn it into a strip. *Later down the road we could work on reshaping other storylines so no copyright infringment would be done. *Just be patient. *At the moment we're completey focused on the first task and it will take a while. *;)

cool. I had one thought instead of a demon mark or what ever why not call the sigal an Angel Tear? Sense one Angel is worth 10 demons. Just a thought I had. *Thanx for your time.

Vampyre Lestat
05-22-2005, 11:39 AM
TVL... Personally I see "The Blood God" as more impressive than "The Vampyre" when mentioned in passing by Lamiais but it's Jeff's character and Jeff's call.

If you have been following Lestat's exploits...you know he has about 20 titles.

Prince of Lies, The Blood God, The Vampyre Lestat, Master of Manipulation.....so they can all be used interchangeably.

But I totally get your drift, however as he moves up the evolutionary ladder his powers are more in tune with life energy than merely blood.

Meteoro
05-22-2005, 11:53 AM
cool. I had one thought instead of a demon mark or what ever why not call the sigal an Angel Tear? Sense one Angel is worth 10 demons. Just a thought I had. *Thanx for your time.

At the moment, we're discussing the twists at the Creative Forum. *;) *Make sure to mention this over there. *Later today, I would be creating different threads for each particular subject: *Sigil Bearers, The First, Atlanteans, etc.

“…

Aliexster
05-22-2005, 12:15 PM
... Suck-Daddy, Papa Leech, El Chulpa-thingy, Corpsanova, Ze Ewill!!!!!

Vampyre Lestat
05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
... Suck-Daddy, Papa Leech, El Chulpa-thingy, Corpsanova, Ze Ewill!!!!!

Joe, due to the fact that I don't know you at all I'll be quite blunt when I say this.

The only time we interact is when I post something and you come in with a snipe. * Cut the crap.....I don't mind it when it comes from someone I consider a friend...but you havent' earned that right. * I've let it go in the past...but Ive been back all of one night and you have started already.

Zeb
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM

At the moment, we're discussing the twists at the Creative Forum. *;) *Make sure to mention this over there. *Later today, I would be creating different threads for each particular subject: *Sigil Bearers, The First, Atlanteans, etc.

“…

Lamiais
05-22-2005, 01:56 PM
In the Kobalty story Lamiais can just refer to TVL as "Him" or something equally vague. "By His blood!" "My kind serves Him." "May He drag your worthless soul to an unnaturally painful afterlife."

Because why would a vampire want to be specific with TVL's name or title and risk calling attention to themselves, especially from the Vampyre himself.

Random Character
05-22-2005, 10:57 PM

The initial use of the Sigil being called 'demon mark' was for a character I have on Kelasar. The basic idea boils down to two things, one I wanted to explore the idea of people not just saying 'oh, its a Sigil' and two what would superstitious people call a sigil. The fact monsters mostly rule the world made it a logical choice for local renaming.