PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY SLANG WORDS !!!

Viking
01-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Each country and/or region has its own crazy slang expressions which defy easy interpretation on the part of outsiders.

Here are a few Australian examples:

A spunk rat: *A very beautiful woman

To root: To screw or copulate. *(In Australia, the American fizzy drink "root-beer" takes on *a whole new meaning).

What are some of the unusual slang expressions from your neck of the woods ???

Daveosaurus
01-14-2006, 03:43 AM
There's a lot of unique words around here (many taken from native languages) but it's hard to just think of any off the top of my head... Also a lot of them are shared with Australia. And lastly I've got a copy of Harry Orsman's dictionary of NZ slang and despite the thought that looking things up is cheating I'd rather get my facts straight first off. Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

peter A refillable glass beer flagon holding half a British gallon (about 2.25 litres). Locally the word has fallen into disuse along with glass flagons. Orsman has traced the word back to chemist's jars being referred to as "blue peters", after the naval flag.
rigger The word which replaced "peter", used nowadays to describe plastic 2 litre flagons used for beer holding purposes. Orsman traced it back to a type of half gallon gin bottle called a "square rigger" (naval meanings again).
crib A simple holiday home left vacant for most of the year. Most of the classic ones look as if they are about to fall over. I think this word is of Scottish derivation and is only used in the southern quarter of NZ (predominantly settled by Scots).
bach Pronounced "batch" and refers to bachelor style living. The same thing in the rest of the country.
doublehappy A small firework (about the size of a cigarette butt) that makes a loud noise but doesn't do anything else. They've been banned for years now. Name was apparently a brand name and Orsman suggests it could have been a literal translation of the Chinese manufacturer's name for it.

And a couple of words which have got WTF?? reactions from friends on the internet...
waffle To talk at length about nothing in particular. Recently I got a couple of odd reactions when using the word because apparently in America it means something like taking both sides of an argument.
chook A fowl. I thought the word was obvious but the number of times I have had to explain it, it mustn't be...

Shuya
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
I have quite a few.

Mook/Plank/Spanner/Muffin/Muppet: New words for fool.

Weak: Bad/unfortunate.

Dark/Aws/Legal/Sick: Cool

Caned: High

Munter/Minger: Ugly person.

I'd go on, but I'm lazy.

Viking
01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Dave - I think the expression "to waffle on" is a British expression that is also in widespread use in Australia and New Zealand, but not used as much in the US.

And the word "chook" is predominantly a NZ & Australian term, perhaps not much used elsewhere.

Where is Xetal when you need him . . . surely he could come up with some unusual slang.

Xetal, can you confirm that if an Australian girl came up to you in the street and asked you if you'd like to "root a spunkrat" you'd have no idea what she was talking about.

Quaxo9
01-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Alright people - here are a few words I've learned since coming to Newfoundland. Hope you find them useful. ;)

barmp - n - to honk your car horn when someone cuts you off or otherwise acts in an offensive manner whilst driving *e.g. "Barmp your horn!" or "Barmp it!"

loppy - adj - when the water on a lake or bay has whitecaps on it, the water is "loppy" (or "choppy" everywhere else on the planet)

la - umm - this word is placed at the end of a sentence to indicate that one should a) look at something physically present b) understand what they're saying *e.g. "Plane, la." "Gotta put dat ting right dere, la." "Well I just went down to th' toilet, la? An' then dis guy goes 'Hey Buddy, that's me beer!'"

I could go on, but I think I'll leave it at that for now. ;)

Xetal
01-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Viking: I was well aware of rooting from my days in PNG. Spunk rats (though only by that label *;) ) are new to me.

People like me have been waffling on since my grandfather's day at least, geezers.

That's a word that's changed over the last couple of years or so. An old geezer (geyser) was so called because he spouted on and on and on. These days a geezer's an all-round good bloke in England (and rarely old as a result.)

manekochan
01-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Corgy: instead of cool
crubkies: basically crap
Rakkin' frakkin!!!: used in place of expletives

That's about all I can think of that's new around here except stuff that's been kiped off of tv and movies. Most of our slang around here is really old and consists of phrases. What isn't old is usually a kind of group slang that usually doesn't extend past your own circle of friends, or in my case, myself... -_-;

Viking
02-01-2006, 05:38 AM
bush-pig: *A hideous looking person

Westie: A person who lives out west (ie: not near the city or the coast) . . . Westies are the Australian equivalent of red-neck petrol-heads.

Wax-head; A surfer or someone who lives on the coast.

Daveosaurus
02-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Munter/Minger: Ugly person.

Orsman lists some variants heard (or read) locally and dating back to about 1997: "munter" = a prat; "munting" = ugly; "munted" = broken. Personally I've never heard "munting" and have rarely heard "munter" but have heard "munted" quite a bit. As with many slang words meaning "broken" or "wrecked", around these parts it now generally means "incapacitated due to strong drink" (personal observation not backed up by the late Harry Orsman, who died before I ever heard the word in any context).

Westie: A person who lives out west (ie: not near the city or the coast) . . . Westies are the Australian equivalent of red-neck petrol-heads.

In New Zealand it generally means "West Aucklander". West Auckland has a reputation for being a bit of a haven for bogans. Most famous of said creatures is Ewen Gilmour (http://www.ewengilmour.com/).

Xetal
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
So what's a bogan?

MystikChronicler
02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
This is a very interesting topic. *There's a ton of things that fascinate me about the differences in meaning of some english words when spoken in different countries.

The first one that comes to mind is Piss. *To the American piss refers to urine. *So when I first heard that Chumbawamba song about pissing the night away, I'm like, "Whoa! You mean that had to urinate the whole night?" *or, because piss is a human waste, I've heard it used like, "He's just pissing his life away" meaning that he's wasting his life. *So, another interpretation for that line "pissing the night away" would be "wasting the night away". * *Or to be pissed has a totally different meaning in America. *When someone says they're pissed, they mean they're angry. *So, when I hear someone from Great Britain (and Ireland) say it, I'm like, "Whoa! I didn't mean to make you mad." when they're actually referring to being drunk. *Go figure.

Oh, and to me, the word waffle in America is more used to refer to someone's inability or unwillingness to take a side. *So when they waffle on a subject, they're being accused of not being capable of choosing one side over another.

Daveosaurus
02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Around here "pissed" means drunk, "pissed off" means angry and "taking the piss" means making fun of. "Piss" means liquor. One popular song used to go "Drink yourself more piss, forget about the last one, get yourself another" although when they actually recorded it the band changed the offending word to "bliss". (But forgot to remind the backing vocalists).

So what's a bogan?

A lout. A yob. A petrol-head. Some or all of the above. The stereotypical bogan has long, poorly kept hair, wears black jeans, listens to heavy metal and drives an old Kingswood or Falcon: large Australian cars.

Xetal
02-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks for that - another piece of crazy slang? Presumably not new or you'd have drawn attention to it.

Daveosaurus
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, there's so much slang around (or just words that have different meanings in different countries) that I'd have problems figuring out where to start. I'm getting used to "huh?" reactions when using words I was sure were universal... "waffle" is a case in point; I had no knowledge that the word "waffle" in relation to modes of speech meant something different in America than it does here until it was pointed out to me a few months ago.

Sprouse001
02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
you should come to South Carolina or any other southern state.

FIX: has many different meanings.

lets fix breakfast. i'll fix the car. i'm fixing to kick his butt. i was fixing to do but i got drunk and fixed the sink while fixing lunch.