PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1 (19 Aug 2005)

Lissix
02-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Review by Kenne Morrison

Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciled by: Mark Brooks
Inked by: Jaime Mendoza & Scott Hanna
Colored by: Dave Stewart
Lettered by: Chris Eliopoulos

I admit that I almost passed on this annual for a couple of reasons. First, I haven’t been a fan of Bendis’ writing lately (not since his disastrous Avengers Disassembled and further mockery of all things Avengers as seen in New Avengers). Second, I haven’t been following Ultimate Spider-Man because I grew tired of the four or five issue stories that never went anywhere. When it took him four issues of his five-issue Hobgoblin story to actually bring in Hobgoblin, I decided that I was done with Ultimate Spidey. So, why did I decide to read the Annual? Call it optimism, but I figured that if Bendis could contain his story to one issue, then maybe he’d be capable of writing a good story. So, was I right or did I just blow my money on another drawn out badly written story? Read on to find out.

Warning, spoilers will follow.

The issue actually opens up on Kitty Pryde playing the damsel in distress for Nightcrawler and Colossus in a danger room session. Deciding she’s had enough, Kitty leaves the danger room.

Meanwhile, I’m sure that Spider-Man is wishing what he’s facing was a danger room session. Someone has created a Rhino-Robo suit and is rampaging through Manhatten. And it’s up to your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man to save the day. Mayhem and property damage occurs as Spider-Man applies his patented wit as he takes out the bad guy. Yet, when the army arrive, they don’t want to thank him for his help; they want to bring him in for questioning. He’s not going to have any of that, so Spider-Man swings away.

Back at the X-Mansion, Kitty feels like a loser and misfit. She doesn’t feel that she can relate to her X-Friends. At the same time, Spider-Man is feeling the same thing. He’s the loser and the odd man out at his school. And to make matters worse, he has to see MJ everyday after he broke up with her because he didn’t want to put her in any more danger.

Kitty sits by herself feeling lonely when Jean Grey arrives to try and cheer her up. The talk turns to Kitty’s failed relationship with Bobby Drake, the Iceman. Jean reminds Kitty that she doesn’t really like him, and Kitty remarks that it was nice to have someone show her some attention. Then Jean reads Kitty’s mind and they discuss Kitty’s attraction to Spider-Man. Kitty wonders what would happen if she and Peter went out.

Peter is at home reading a message board where someone left a hateful message about Spider-Man after his battle with Rhino. Peter wonders why he even bothers when his phone rings. But when he answers it, Kitty is on the other line too shy to say anything and hangs up. Finally, she gets up the courage to call back, and she asks Peter out on a date. Surprisingly to her, he says yes. Later he “goggles