03-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Review by Kenne Morrison

New Excalibur #5
Written by: Chris Claremont
Penciled by: Steven Cummings
Inked by: Rick Ketcham
Colored by: Sotocolor
Lettered by: Tom Orzechowski

How many issues of a team book does it take for the team to actually come together? If you answered 5, then you'd be right. But do you also know what it takes to bring Excalibur together? Oh, c'mon, what fun would it be if I told you? Oh, all right.

In this issue, the members who will become Excalibur find themselves at the mercy of creatures that can kill you, drain your life essences for power, and then wear your skin thus taking on your identity! How do you fight that? And as if that's not enough, a new bad guy makes his first appearance threatening to wipe up the planet with our very own Captain Britain, who's caught in a fight with his replacement who now goes by the name Lionheart.

Boy, when Claremont is off, he's really stinks, but when he's on, he's smokin'! In this issue, I get the same feeling I got from issue 2. This is the series that Excalibur should be, it's got cool characters, intense action, and said characters doing what they do while staying in character doing it. These are the heroes that got me interested in the book in the first place doing the sort of things that an Excalibur, and hero book should do.

If I had to make one complaint, it's that Claremont has now established that Kelsey Leigh became the hero Lionheart in the Avengers instead of the new Captain Britain. It would be one thing if she had changed names because Brian is Captain Britain as much as Steve Rogers is Captain America. And besides, Lionheart is just a cool sounding name. However, it smells fishy like someone's trying to pull the wool over my eyes to claim that she was Lionheart all along. If she was never Captain Britain, then why were they calling her that over in the Avengers? Oh well, it's a minor quip, and even the idea of Kelsey being on the side of the bad guys isn't a stretch considering what she's been through.

The art is by a guest penciler named Steven Cummings, but he does a fine job filling in. It doesn't even look all that different from Michael Ryan's, the regular penciler's, art. I could be because I think the inker is the same guy that inked Ryan. The colors are bright and shiny just what a super hero comic book would be. And the letterer did a good job as well. All in all, this was definitely an issue to show to all your friends and say "Buy Excalibur". If only all the issues could be this fun and tight. But, since I always rate by the issue and not the series or run, I give this one a 4 1/2 stars out of five.

Now it's your turn, what do you think?

Blinkz
03-26-2006, 04:03 PM
You know, I only just bought this comic yesterday. I liked it. Certainly solid. I liked how Claremont seems to have given up on trying to convey English accents through bad grammar, too. Because it was bad. Awful. Just downright terrible. It looked like the only English accents he had ever heard were the cheap fake accents done by cheap fake American actors on cheap fake programs. You know the ones. :p About Sage, though. What does it mean when she said she had taken that creature's measure? I'm not familiar with her character or powers. Is she a mutant?