PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Quaxo9
06-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I just thought I should try to get this part of the forum going. Unless no one reads. I know many people don't really have the time to read, but I'm sure some of you have turned a page or two nonetheless.

Right now I am reading "The Paradise War" by Stephen R. Lawhead. It is about a college student at Oxford who gets caught up in some very interesting circumstances involving this world and the Otherworld. So far, I really like it, although the whole "graduate studies" part of it hits a little too close to home! ;)

Jason Sanborn
06-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Or at least I am reading that when I am reading. Haven't had much time for reading lately. I really need to get back to reading so I can finish the book. :whaat:

Daveosaurus
06-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Currently I'm reading "Night of the Wolf" by Alice Borchardt (sp.?).

Last week I borrowed three of her werewolf books out of the library basically because I'd heard they were good. So far I've finished "The Silver Wolf" and am about half way through the second one. I'm a bit in two minds about how to categorise them. They don't really work very well as straight horror (most of the horror in the book and a half I've read so far has been humans being historically authentic). They work very well as historical novels if you can cope with the idea of werewolves in (for example) eighth-century Rome. However there is an irritating streak of Gothic romance to them which I am happily ignoring as it doesn't really impede the plot (it's the romance bit that's irritating, not the Gothic bit).

All in all I'd give them a qualified thumbs up... qualified because some of the language and situations in the books aren't for the easily offended.

Mattson
06-13-2004, 03:32 AM
I've just started Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Granted I'm only 25 pages in but its entertaining thus far.

TheFoxyOne
06-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm on the last 60 some pages of Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. Now I need to decide if I should read Witching Hour or read the Mayfair Witch chronicles after Blood Canticle *the last book of the Vampire Chronicles*

:think:

Res
06-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Both if you can, Foxy. o:)

I'm starting to read "a song of Ice and Fire" novel by George Martin and I am very excited about it as I loved The Hedge Knight.

Minity
06-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Im about to start reading The DaVinci Code...everyone keeps telling me how great it is, so i caved and bought the book

TheFoxyOne
06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
I started reading The Witching Hour last night. Blackwood Farm made me squeel with joy when I closed it....I love happy endings!!! :D

My dad is wanting me to read The DaVinci Code...and its on my short list but I have about 3000 pages before I can get to it. :?

stevens14
06-23-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm reading "The Elegant Universe" but the author's name escaped my mind at the moment. Really interesting Theory about Super Strings and what the cosmos is made of ;)

voicelessloud
06-23-2004, 06:48 PM
i read...

i am up to 60 something books/trades so far this year

Allen
06-26-2004, 08:24 AM
I am reading The Song of Susanah by Stephen King. Starting Stanza 11.

Aliexster
06-26-2004, 01:22 PM
I just finished reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, a very good book, expecially since I've always had a liking for Vime's stories, mostly for the crazies that live about Ankh-Morkpork. It's a whoper, over 300 pages ong, but well worth it.

As soon as I finish reading a source book or two I've got lined up, I'm planing on reading "The Relic" again. It's been like 10 years since I read it the last time and can't remember hardly anything about it, but that it was good.

Allen
06-28-2004, 09:54 AM
I just finished The Song of Susannah.
I instantly want next book of series. Have to wait until September.

TheFoxyOne
06-28-2004, 06:10 PM
I started reading Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism by John Shelby Spong today. So far its very interesting, Sunday School should be fun this week. :)

Tigers
06-28-2004, 08:38 PM
I just finished The Song of Susannah.
I instantly want next book of series. Have to wait until September.

Hey Allen! I take it you liked The Song of Susannah?! My husband picked it up for me the other day, I still need to finish the last few chapters of the Wolves of Callah. Can't wait to get to reading it if your anxious for the next book!! :D

Allen
06-29-2004, 08:27 AM
I will not tell anything about book # 6. I suggest rule. Do not peek at end of book. I am still in shock.

voicelessloud
06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
i am half way through 'salems lot' and boy did they change a lot for the tv mini series...they merged a few characters and storylines together, but i can see why cause it saved time a reduced the HUGE cast found in the book to a more managable number

Allen
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
i am half way through 'salems lot' and boy did they change a lot for the tv mini series...they merged a few characters and storylines together, but i can see why cause it saved time a reduced the HUGE cast found in the book to a more managable number
I would suggest reading The Stand or dark Tower series next.

voicelessloud
06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
i have already read almost every stephen king novel i am just going back and reading them again...i read most 10-15yrs ago so i have forgotten so much they are almost like new stories to me.

and i gave up on the dark tower cause i just didnt like book 1 but ive been told every book after it gets better

Allen
06-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I have three first edition autographed books by stephen King. Also one novel by Dean Koontz autographed.

The Breaking Storm
07-02-2004, 11:51 PM
I am currently re-reading The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan for the 5th time, but when I'm done I will start in on the Dark Tower series again. I haven't read Wolves of the Calla yet, and it's been a few years since I've read Wizard and Glass, so I guess I'll just start over with The Gunslinger and move on from there.

Blinkz
07-05-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm reading "The Elegant Universe" but the author's name escaped my mind at the moment. Really interesting Theory about Super Strings and what the cosmos is made of ;)

Ah, good on ya, Stevens. I caught the last forty minutes of the program one time. It was very interesting but they never played it again. Dangit.

I'm reading "Dragon Venom" by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Because I'm lazy here's a link to the first book in the series:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812589556/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/103-3292137-6294212?v=glance&s=books)
And the review found therein:
From Publishers Weekly
Watt-Evans (Touched by the Gods, etc.) opens his latest novel with a bang: 11-year-old Arlian's village is destroyed by dragons, and he, the sole survivor, is enslaved by the minions of Lord Dragon. Raised as a mine slave, at 18 Arlian escapes into the arms of the inmates of the House of Carnal Society. When that brothel is burned and its women abducted by Lord Dragon, Arlian's quest for vengeance intensifies. Under the tutelage of a caravan guard named Black, he learns swordsmanship and trading, and gains great wealth. Using the name Lord Obsidian, Arlian pursues both Lord Dragon's minions and the noble owners of the Carnal House, but his hunt is deterred by two shattering discoveries: that vengeance is, after all, distasteful to him; and that his childhood encounter with dragons has made him like his enemiesAnearly immortal, charismatic and eligible to join the ruling Dragon Society. Any reluctance to pursue his vendetta leaves Arlian, however, when he discovers that Lord Dragon is not only a sadist but possibly a traitor to the Dragon Society. Watt-Evans's plot strongly resembles that of The Count of Monte Cristo, but he turns it to his own purposes and produces a thoroughly absorbing tale. His writing is clean of the purple prose that mars so much fantasy, and the book poses many provocative ethical questions about the similarity between the righteous man and the unjust. This novel showcases the understated excellence readers have come to expect from this durable and (too often) underrated author.
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc

Allen
07-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I am reading Secret Garden, secret window. I want to compare story to movie Secret window. Another stephen King story.

TheFoxyOne
07-13-2004, 06:42 AM
I started reading Blood Canticle this weekend and I'm so loving it! My only issue is Lestat's constant use of the word 'dude', America has ruined the dear immortal. :?

Jason Sanborn
07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
I am re-reading the Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning). I read these books originally somewhere around 1988 or 1989. I am surprised at how much I forgot.

OZZ
07-14-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm currently reading "The Lone Drow" by R.A. Salvatore, Book 2 in The Hunters Blades Trilogy, Book 16 in the Heroes of the Hall Saga.

:D

Bard
07-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm on the last 60 some pages of Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. Now I need to decide if I should read Witching Hour or read the Mayfair Witch chronicles after Blood Canticle *the last book of the Vampire Chronicles*

LoL. Don't pick up the Witching Hour if you have anything pressing to do first: a friend of mine sent me the very first copies Anne Rice signed and gave out at the Oct31 mindnight party she had. I thought I'd only read a couple of chapters when I had an advanced human anatomy lab the next day. Would you believe I was up till 2 am and i had to get up at 5am? :shock: I swore I'd never do that again.

Blinkz
07-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Just finished Dragon Venom by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Very good book. So far as I know, it's the last book of trilogy and possibly the last book of the series.
I just bought another book just a few days ago: Way of the Wolf by E. E. Knight. Seemed like something different. What it says on the back:
"Louisiana, 2065. A lot has changed in the forty-third year of the Kurian Order. Possessed of an unnatural and legendary hunger, the bloodthirsty Reapers have come to Earth to establish a New Order built on the harvesting of enslaved human souls. They rule the planet. They thrive on the scent of fear. And if it is night, as sure as darkness, they will come.

On this pitiless world, the indomitable spirit of mankind still breathes in Lieutenant David Valentine. Brought into the Wolves--an elite guerrilla force sworn to win back Earth--Valentine leads his first command in the Kurian Zone. Driven by the losses of his past and the hope of a future, Valentine is in it to win. Now matter how long it takes. No matter what doom awaits him beyond his wildest nightmares."

I'll let you know how it turns out... :p

voicelessloud
07-17-2004, 09:23 AM
i am reading teen titan and thundercats trades

and

buffy the vampire slayer novels :oops:

TheFoxyOne
07-21-2004, 04:21 PM

LoL. Don't pick up the Witching Hour if you have anything pressing to do first: a friend of mine sent me the very first copies Anne Rice signed and gave out at the Oct31 mindnight party she had. I thought I'd only read a couple of chapters when I had an advanced human anatomy lab the next day. Would you believe I was up till 2 am and i had to get up at 5am? :shock: I swore I'd never do that again.

LOL, I finished Blood Canticle Sunday and ended up staying up way later then I'd planned and was totally drag arsh the next day. Mrs. Rice knows how to drag people in. :lol:

I ended up putting down Witching Hour because I just could not wait any longer to read Blood Canticle. That and BC begins where Blackwood Farm ended. Now I think I'll just fly through the Witch Chronicles...if I don't find Pandora first. :?

danaepixie
07-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Ooooooh, I am a HUGE reader. English/Art major and all. hehehe. :excited:

I just finished Sharon Shinn's Angel Seeker (from her Samaria series- a must read for anyone who likes fantasy with a twist :D) and Nick Hornby's How To Be Good (the author of High Fidelity and About a Boy).

Currently reading a sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice written by a modern author- Elizabeth Aston's Mr. Darcy's Daughters. I'm also in the middle of Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends- very hilarious. :D

Res
07-24-2004, 12:42 AM
I've just finished "American death trip" by James Ellroy which was great! The only thing is his particular writing style here which bugged at first.

Shuya
07-26-2004, 06:20 AM
I've just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime" by Mark Haddon.

Its a fantastic book, told from the perspective of a 15 year old boy with Asbergers (sp?) disease. Writing from the perspective of a disabled person is really difficult, because theres always the danger that you will get details wrong, or end up insulting people, but Dog in the Nightime is really sensitively told, hilariously funny in places and also terribly sad.

There is some bad language, but i'd still reccomend it for most age groups.

S

voicelessloud
07-27-2004, 07:13 PM
i am reading some great flash gordon novels...kinda cheesy and nothing surprising going on but very fun reads

Ayrn
08-02-2004, 12:12 PM

I'm starting to read "a song of Ice and Fire" novel by George Martin and I am very excited about it as I loved The Hedge Knight.
I read that a while back. Its more graphic than most stuff I like but I did enjoy it. You should check out this artist. She's done some beautiful pictures based on the books http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ayrn
08-02-2004, 12:16 PM
I just finished Sharon Shinn's Angel Seeker (from her Samaria series- a must read for anyone who likes fantasy with a twist :D) and Nick Hornby's How To Be Good (the author of High Fidelity and About a Boy).

Hehe this is so cool everyones reading my favs. I've been readin anything and everthing Sharons done for the past month. I think I've actualy read about 7 books at this piont and I'm not done yet. I read way way to much. I actualy had it figured out during the school year. I read an average of 10,000 pages every 6 weeks (hexter). Of cource I read about somewhere betwen 70-100 pages an hour but it still adds up to a lot of eye strain.

voicelessloud
08-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Ooooooh, I am a HUGE reader. English/Art major and all. hehehe. :excited:

i am finishing up my 76th book for the year
does that count as a HUGE reader?

and i was an english/creative writing major

Ayrn
08-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah I would qualify that as reading a lot. I've never actualy kept a record... Maybe I will next year. Lets just say the summer reading program is very happy with me this year. (they donate money to some charity animal thing every year for hours read)

voicelessloud
08-11-2004, 11:59 AM
i have kept a record for 2003 and 2004.
i use to read 10-20 books a year, now its 70+

Aliexster
08-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I just finished The Relic, and I'm itching to get the sequel, but the rub is I don't have the cash to get it.

So in the mean time, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "The Last Hero". It's a real treat expecially with the pictures parodying popular pictures like 'Birth of Man' on the Cistine Chapel, Conan on his Throne from Conan the Barbarian, and Death petting a Kitty.

Blinkz
08-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Aww. I knew Death had to be an animal lover.

Aliexster
08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
And he's a good Grandfather, even though it was hard to bounce Susan on his knee. And he's got his own mascot; Death of Rats, that is if you don't count his pale horse, Binky.

Daveosaurus
08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
So in the mean time, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "The Last Hero". It's a real treat expecially with the pictures parodying popular pictures like 'Birth of Man' on the Cistine Chapel, Conan on his Throne from Conan the Barbarian, and Death petting a Kitty.

That's an excellent book, that one. Picked up the hardcover edition cheap and second hand a few months ago.

I was particularly amused to see a disco dancing daisy making an appearance...

Aliexster
08-12-2004, 10:07 AM
The one thing that blew me away in that book was the illistration of Sybil's Guide to Swamp Dragons, that must have took forever to draw all of them, name, and put a brief little blurb in there about them. And the re-apperance of the jet engine dragons.

The one gag that cracked me up was when the Silver Horde were disguising themselves as gods.
Evil Harry: "What're you supposed to be Hammish?"
Mad Hammish: "God o' Stuff!"
Evil Harry: "What sort of stuff?"
Mad Hammish: "Oh you know, stuff just lying about, in the back of drawers, and stuff..."

Aliexster
08-19-2004, 05:26 PM
I just finished reading Reliquary and it is a dang good book! It jumps about quite a bit, and they don't focus on Margo as much like the last one, it's more about D'Argosa, but still she gets enough of a spotlight to fully flesh out. That and it's really scary, expecially those odd chapters where you're ploped into someone you don't know, you know he's going to get it. It's just as good a monster attractant as making out!

That and I like the entire premise of the book and the creatures themselves. It's sort of like Resident Evil without the zombies, good characters, and you actually PAID writers to make a choisive story.

Oh, that reminds me about something. *Takes out a sports bottle full of water* Lestat, please drink this. :twisted:

Blinkz
08-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Right now, I'm reading "The Fox Woman" by Kij Johnson. More Japanesey stuff. This one's about a fox who falls in love with a human. Not my normal fare in that respect but someone recommended it to me and it's turned out to be very good. Lot's of poetry and such. In a way, it's a lot like a fable. Look it up on Amazon. Ayrn, you might like it especially.

Shuya
08-26-2004, 05:25 PM
For some reason, I have acquired a large number of Crime/Private Eye/Spy books. Not something I usually go for, but meh. I've got nothing else to read.....

Ayrn
09-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Right now, I'm reading "The Fox Woman" by Kij Johnson. *More Japanesey stuff. *This one's about a fox who falls in love with a human. *Not my normal fare in that respect but someone recommended it to me and it's turned out to be very good. *Lot's of poetry and such. *In a way, it's a lot like a fable. *Look it up on Amazon. *Ayrn, you might like it especially.
Oh good you did get a hold of it then. I haven't been able to find it anywere :(

Res
09-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I have finished to read two books of Asimov Les cavernes d'acier (Steel caves?) and the naked sun. It has been a while I have not read any books from Asimov.

Now I am reading "The alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, a kind of quest of dreams.

Res
09-11-2004, 01:21 AM

I read that a while back. Its more graphic than most stuff I like but I did enjoy it. You should check out this artist. She's done some beautiful pictures based on the books http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hiya Ayrn :)

Thank you for the link, there are nice art there indeed and some are poetic too.

Ayrn
09-11-2004, 07:12 AM
I now its really neat. I just love her rp stuff too. Wish I could draw like that. I'm starting a watercolor project in art class, hopfully I can find some insperation in her stuff. Its never been hard before.

Res
09-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Good luck for your watercoler project in your art classe, Ayrn. Just keep on drawing, painting etc everyday, everytime you can... that is how you will improve. ;)

Res
09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Paulo Coelho's "The alchemist" was interesting to read and nicely written. It is funny that at the end, the hero realizes that he didn't have to go so far to find his treasure, to find who he was even if he learned from his quest.

Next book... certainly one of the Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher (I've read Fool Moon few years ago but someone made me interested in it again :) )

Allen
09-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Dark tower VII
I am 85 pages into novel by Stephen King. Only over 700 pages left to go. :)

The Breaking Storm
09-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I finished Deliverance by James Dickey a few days ago, and now I'm about thirty pages into Mort by Terry Pratchett.

Surprisingly, The Last Hero was the very first Discworld book I read. *Mort will be my 21st Discworld book. *And all in two years! :shock:

Ayrn
10-02-2004, 07:51 AM
I've just been working my way through a series on the early native americans. I really like the historical fantasy stuff. My favorite so far is People of the Earth and I still have like 10 more to go.

Allen
11-12-2004, 09:37 AM
I finished Dark Tower book two weeks ago. Now reading lots of TPB's
Matrix,9-11,
Also reading novel about Stan Lee.

Viking
12-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Im about to start reading The DaVinci Code...everyone keeps telling me how great it is, so i caved and bought the book

Hey Minity - How do you like the DaVinci Code ?? *One of my friends is reading it and says it's great - should I read it ?? *It's a pretty thick book *:D

Jason Cochran
12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
I just re-read the Dark Tower series and started rereading my Dragonlance books.(Trying to get them read in order)

I also just picked up the recent Jonathan Kellerman novel.

Quaxo9
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I've almost completed an anthology of short detective stories dealing with outdoor, indoor and "collecting" sports. I've enjoyed most of them enormously - especially the one about the Saint - I had no idea he was a literary character! Pretty neat, really. Read one last night about a blind detective that wasn't half bad either. Of course, all these stories are from the 30's and 40's - so that was even better! I read my first Ellery Queen work! :D

Allen
12-13-2004, 10:47 AM
I just finished reading screen play "storm of the Century" by stephen King. Also, few childrens books by Dean koontz. Santa's Evil Twin and sequel.

Viking
12-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi Allen - Who is better, Stephen King or Dean Koontz??

girch
12-24-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake right now, but really only so I can go on to Ray Loriga's Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore, *which I bought on a whim the other day after glancing at a review of it in The Believer. *The review likened it to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I simply adore, so I couldn't pass it up. *:)

Allen
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Allen - Who is better, Stephen King or Dean Koontz??
That is very difficult question. Out right suspence has to go to Dean Koontz. I read book Intensity in less than day.
Long winded stories goes to Stephen King.

Allen
12-31-2004, 09:46 AM
It is rare that Dean Koontz goes from main stream stories.
Stephen King can hit from any angle. My favorite story from Stephen King is The Eyes of the Dragon. Also, close second is The Dead Zone.
My latest book from Koontz that I am now reading. Life Expectancy. 400 page story. I read 100 pages since Wendsday.

The Breaking Storm
01-03-2005, 06:36 PM
It's strange, but since the last time I posted in this thread, on Sept. 26, I've read 25 books!

All five books in the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Five books by Terry Pratchett (Pyramids, Maskerade, The Truth, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, and Men at Arms)
The first two Dinotopia books by James Gurney
The first two Narnia books by C.S. Lewis
Necroscope by Brian Lumley
Polgara the Sorceress by David and Leigh Eddings
All seven Dark Tower books by Stephen King
The Well of Eternity by Richard A. Knaak, which is the first in the WarCraft: War of the Ancients trilogy

And currently I'm in the middle of The Demon Soul, book 2 of War of the Ancients.

Can anyone guess my favorite genre? :p *:roll:

Allen
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I finished Life Expectancy novel.
Now reading Lemony Snicket book A Series of Unfortunate Events. Book one. I read half of book in little over hour.

Allen
02-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I read books 5 and 6 of Snicket novels yesterday. Already 25 pages into book 7.

Res
03-29-2005, 10:48 PM
I am reading actually "813", a story of Arsne Lupin and "Daughter of the Empire" by Raymond E. Feist. Great.

girch
03-30-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm in the middle of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" -- two books down, a few more to go!

I love Adams' style of writing -- it's funny and refreshing. *The way he describes things is especially wonderful: "The ships hung in the air in much the same way that bricks don't."

Quaxo's Quorum
04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
I just finished reading "Second Touch" by Bodie and Brock Thoene. What an incredible book. It's set back in Jesus' day and the majority of the story revolves around lepers in the Valley of Sorrow and the boy born blind who Jesus healed. Political intrigue, marvellous insight into the larger meaning of a single word, and what it really is to triumph over personal darkness are all things that send this book up into my "top ten". I love the authors anyways - I've read a lot of their books - and I love the amount of research they put into a story to give you an accurate (or what you would assume to be accurate) description of what living in those times and places would really be like. Ever vivid with characters you don't easily forget, any book by this pair is not to be considered lightly. "Second Touch" gets two thumbs up from me! :thumbup:

As a side note, I'll be looking up the other three books in the series. They are not attached by characters, so far as I understand it, but merely by time period and, of course, the presence of Jesus Christ.

Res
04-20-2005, 04:59 AM
I like your enthousiasm about this book, Quaxo. I will recommand it to a friend who was looking for book in that way and certainly pick one for myself too *:)

Actually, I finished "813" (it's not definitely my favorite book about Arsne Lupin, which would be l'Aiguille Creuse and the very first one) and I am now trying Neil Gaiman's book. So I started by curiosity, "Stardust" which is very pleasant to read. It's funny *his writing sometimes sounds like Terry Pratchett's but, in my opinion, less confusing. I think once I finish this one, I will try "Neverwhere" and "Mirror and Smoke" and then finish "Daugther of the Empire" by Feist.

OZZ
04-21-2005, 08:52 AM
I was reading "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown...

but now i'm going to read the first 80 pages of "Fools Luck." * Book 1 in the Heroes of Solnar series by my good friend Jason O'Brien.

Why only 80 pages you ask... *because that's all he's got ready to show so far! lol

Bard
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
I just re-read the Dark Tower series and started rereading my Dragonlance books.(Trying to get them read in order)

Have you finished yet? *I'm waiting for Amer and Ashes to come out in paperback.

MystikChronicler
05-13-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm currently on Book Five in the Wheet of Time series by Robert Jordan. *Five down, seven more to go.

GloryQuest
06-01-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm currently working on Dragonsblood by Todd McCaffrey, one of my favorite series of books (created by his mother, Anne McCaffrey). :dance:

Tigers
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
:eh: *Ummm.........I'm reading everyone's posts? *:p

Anyhou, I'm getting ready to dive into the next Terry Goodkind. I started it at Barnes & Nobles on Sunday, and when I start his books it's hard for me to stop. So, I need to buy it or I'll never leave B&N! *:lol:

Aliexster
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Never truly liked Terry Goodkind, he has his moments, certainly, but I don't really think he is all that cohisive in his writing style.

Currently I'm halfway through Terry Pratchett's 'Monsterous Regiment' which is a great book about women, nations, the military *and crossdressing!

Blinkz
06-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Crossdressing! *Whoo-hoo!
Anywho, I used to love Terry Goodkind's books, but I gave up halfway through Naked Empire. *It was just so boring and nothing was happening. *I loved The Pillars of Creation, though; it was a nice change.
Right now I'm reading "Celtika" by Robert Holdstock. *Merlin and Jason of the Argonauts. *What's not to love?

megan
06-26-2005, 02:30 PM
"Wait Until Midnight" by Amanda Quick...close to finished with it, though...by the time most read this, it'll probably be "Fatal Tide" by Iris Johansen(did some major reorganizing this week and decided to whittle down the romantic suspense section.

--Megan

elvenscout742
07-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Wading through Primitive Mythology by Joseph Campbell. It's not exactly a novel, but it's really good and it makes your arguments on Wikipedia more prestigious if you read it ;) .

Mattson
07-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I've been catching up on a few of Clive Cussler's novels. His Dirk Pitt books are the James Bond of the sea. Sahara has been made into a movie recently and sadly I missed catching it. And thus far, I've finished Vahalla Rising, Trojan Oddessy, and am working through Atlantis Found. I enjoy the sort of what if this event had happened twists to history he gives. Vahalla was almost prophetic in its comments about fuel costs and terrorist attacks. While Trojan had a hurricane on par with the destruction from last year.

Blinkz
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I just finished "Brilliance of the Moon" by Lian Hearn. *Good feudal Japanese stuff with a bit of fantasy thrown in for good measure. *I'm about to start "Alien Taste" by Wen Spencer. *It's cyberpunk, I think. ^_^

KyleLitke
07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm reading comics until I pick up the new Harry Potter book.

Pesky Elf
07-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Gah! *Don't mention the HP!!! *:shock:

Lately, all the reading I've been forced to do is several dry boring textbooks on pharmacology.

OZZ
07-27-2005, 08:23 AM
No time for Novels.

Trying to get caught up on comics and trades. *Probably be doing that for the next couple years. :|

Blinkz
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
"Sir Apropos of Nothing" by Peter David. *It's good so far. *It's not often that I like a main character so much.

manekochan
08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I just finished reading Howl's Moving Castle (twice) and Castle in the Air (it's sequel). Then, like a dumb-arse I decided to read Fudoki again and Carpe Jugulum (again). Then I read Bite again. Or maybe I read Bite again before Fudoki?... I started reading Harry Potter 5 again so I can remember stuff before I get #6, but I decided after chapter 1 that I didn't feel like it. *Right now I'm reading nothing but that'll probably change as soon as I figure out something to read again. Maybe I'll try HP again.

megan
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm currently working my way through James Clavell's "Shogun," though it requires breaks every few hundred pages. *i've curretly set it asside to read "Autumn Vows" by Barbara Metzger.

--Megan

Blinkz
09-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Fudoki was good! *Everyone should read it.
I just started "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher.

megan
09-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Fudoki was good! ¬*Everyone should read it.
I just started "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher.

I craze for the Dresden books...which book is that one? the first? *The series is switching to hardcover, which means that the latest book that's too expensive for me to get has been staring at me from the shelves for quite some time now.

::sulks::

--Megan

Res
09-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi Megan,

"Storm Front" is indeed the first book of the Dresden's files, even if you can read them each of them *appart. Of course, it is better to read in the proper order, so you would not get confused (the characters evolve...) but each book focuses on its particular story. Wow... I am not sure if my English makes sens tonight. Mes sincères excuses :D

So far, there is:
-Storm Front
-Fool Moon (with werewolves! woot!)
-Grave Peril (I found it a bit more scary than the others)
-Summer Knight
-Death Masks (cool bad guys in it!)
-Blood rites
-Dead Beat

Anyway, you will have fun reading!

Res
09-01-2005, 02:15 PM
The series is switching to hardcover, which means that the latest book that's too expensive for me to get has been staring at me from the shelves for quite some time now.

--Megan

Yes, I hope there will be a softcover version somedays too. Less expensive and it's cuter to have the same kind of format for a serie *in the library. hehe.

For now, I am reading "Story of the Templars" by J.J.-E. Roy. It is interesting to know a bit better how evolved this "monk-soldiers" order in the Middle East, as long as they were there.

megan
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I've read all the Dresden books that are in paperback, as well as "Furies of Calderon," I just can't keep track of which title belongs to which book. *I tend to think of them in terms of "The one with..." and "the one where..."

I do the same thing with Simon Green's Nightside books.

--Megan

manekochan
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
That Dresden stuff sounds pretty cool. I'm a sucker for werewolves and their ilk. I've been looking for something new to read. Maybe I'll see if my library has them.
Just finished re-reading "the Fifth Elephant" and if you think of Bruce Willis then please re-read the title. Now I'm reading "Men At Arms" for the third or so time. It's been a few years so I actually am being surprised by things in it a little.

Daveosaurus
09-05-2005, 11:15 PM
The series is switching to hardcover, which means that the latest book that's too expensive for me to get has been staring at me from the shelves for quite some time now.

And of course you don't have anything else sitting around to read or watch while you're waiting for it to be published in paperback... *:twisted:

That Dresden stuff sounds pretty cool. I'm a sucker for werewolves and their ilk.

* eyes light up *

all right... more info on them?

Viking
09-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Michael Crichton's PREY is a good short novel - really easy and quick to read . . . even Ozz could manage it (LOL). *I would recommend it to you if you enjoy a good tight plot.

I would NOT recommend Clavell's Shogun - Too freakin' long winded !!!

manekochan
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
That Dresden stuff sounds pretty cool. I'm a sucker for werewolves and their ilk.

* eyes light up *

all right... more info on them?

Incidentally, Men at Arms and The Fifth Elephant have werewolves in them... *:whistling: *And they're just damn funny.
As for the dresden stuff, all they have at my library is "Dead Beat". I always start at the beginning of things so that makes it a no-go for me.
However, there does seem to be a plethora of Terry Pratchett books at my local library so I may be tempted to read some more of those.... hmm...

Daveosaurus
09-08-2005, 04:29 AM
Incidentally, Men at Arms and The Fifth Elephant have werewolves in them... *:whistling: *And they're just damn funny.

* detects a possible convert *

I've been buying Pratchett books since... probably 1990, 1991 or thereabouts... and had read a few by then (back then money was a bit of a problem for me so new book purchases were few and far between). I have been recommending them for probably about that long. They're good.

The two you've read form part of a loose series within a series. "Guards! Guards!" introduces Vimes, Carrot, Colon, Nobby and some of the civilians. Then "Men at Arms", and then "Feet of Clay" which is probably my favourite Pratchett... it's funny as all get out and once you're finished you realise you've been hit over the head with a big philosophical sledgehammer and never noticed it. Then "Jingo" which I don't find as good as the rest but still has its moments. Then "The Fifth Elephant" which is second only to "Feet of Clay" in my estimation.

After these books the Watch are present in a lot of books but as supporting characters: "The Truth" and "Going Postal" show them going about their business; "Night Watch" is a time travel story concentrating on Vimes, and he also appears in "The Monstrous Regiment". I vaguely recall that there's another full Watch book in the pipeline but can't remember if I read anything else about it.

As for the dresden stuff, all they have at my library is "Dead Beat". I always start at the beginning of things so that makes it a no-go for me.

I'm a menace that way as well... The problem is figuring out which is book 1, then tracking down book 1, then actually having the time to READ book 1 before repeating the process for second and subsequent books...

(1000th post.)

manekochan
09-08-2005, 10:36 AM
..... um... my post disappeared....
Congrats on the 1000th post. ^-^
Thanks for the list. I never know which order his books are in. There is a new one called, "Thud!". My library has it on order. It's supposed to be out September 13th. Evidently there's a companion book to it called, "Where's my Cow?" (Sept 27) which is a picture book that Vimes is reading to his new son in the book "Thud!"

Daveosaurus
09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Most of his books have a list of what's published in them, in approximate chronological order. I can type one out for you if you want - just ask - but it might be a bit of work as there are 30+ of them.

manekochan
09-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I found a pretty comprehensive one online for the different series. The reason I didn't want to just go off the list in the books is because I didn't know which particular series they all belonged to. I tend to like to read series all at once. That and I don't remember them all and my library doesn't have all of them... They don't have the first two and I was trying to figure out if the third one was the first in the Lancre witches books. (now that I have access to the list again, I can see that it is so I should have rented it...)
Anyway, here is the link to it, although I was stupid and did this in quick reply so I've forgotten how to correctly link to it and will instead simply post the address...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/gu ... eading.001 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/3BHZL9PJSMWTR/ref=cm_bg_dp_m_1/002-2696682-1792007#guide.heading.001)

Daveosaurus
09-10-2005, 05:10 AM
My favourite Pratchett reference page is this one here:

http://www.au.lspace.org/books/apf/index.html

Enjoy.

Allen
09-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I am up to page 300 in first book in wheel of Time series.

Allen
09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I bought nearly 50 Piers anthony books at garage sale. I am going to try reading total recall first. This will be my first time reading Piers anthony.

Blinkz
09-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I just finished Hyper Police #4 and I'm in the middle of a collection of HP Lovecraft stories. *I've nver read any of his stuff before. *It's not bad and I do like the way people wrote back then.

manekochan
09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Too many biggish ... um... whatis.... you know...
words.

Blinkz
09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Lol, sounds like you're thinking of Tolkien's books. *Lovecraft's stuff is no't as bad, don't worry. *^_^

manekochan
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Nah. I think it were lovecraftian stuffs I be thinkin on I'm sure at. Although, tweren't I what said it *bout them words being longish. Was actually Dan. Havna read much lovecraft meself. Or at lest don' remember et if'n I ever did read it.
Right now I'm reading "The Killing Dance" by Laurell K. Hamilton again. Dan got it for me so I'm readin it again. Amazing how much of it I've forgotten since I last read it.
I haven't read any Tolkein since I was like ... I dunno. 10 or something. I read the Hobbit way back then. I found it in my mom's closet. That's the only one I've ever read.
Dan got a copy of Anansi Boys, the sequel to American Gods. I have to wait until he's done with it to read it. It was a birthday present after all... grrr.... He reads too slow and now that he's got that to read he's trying to barrell his way through Howl's Moving Castle which I lent him about a month ago.

Blinkz
10-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Steal it, read it, and then put it back before he even knows it's gone. ^_^

Daveosaurus
10-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Currently reading Pratchett's latest, "Thud". About a third of the way through.

Very funny (as was expected).

Also some classic Angua moments so far (Manekochan and company, you have been warned...)

Aliexster
10-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I just finished reading my second book for my History class, The Burning Tigris. It's all about the Armenian Genocide during World War I and America's early actions to help ease the suffering. Though the end of the book is the most poniant, discribing why at the begining of the century the Armenian problem was on the tip of all American tounges and now nobody nows what it is. It goes far beyond just the fact that the Holocaust overshadowed it; it mostly boils down to various US oil interests still in Turkey and the Turkish government trying to deny the whole incident by PAYING ivy league historians to find their side of the story. Such a thing is as bad if not worse than the actual act itself in my opinion....

At the moment I'm just reading several back issues of PC Gamer and Dragon magazine I've had lying in my book bag for a while until I got done reading my previous book. Afterwards I'm probably go and get 'Going Postal' by Terry Pratchett, or something else that catches my eye. It's been a while since I've read any really good sci-fi...

manekochan
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I finished the Killing Dance quite a while back so I started reading manga again. He's still not done with Anansi Boys, but now I've got the urge to read the first Hamilton book again... sigh...
And I still want to read Thud....

Allen
10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
The Colorado Kid by stephen King. Just got from library. Short novel. Only 186 pages.

manekochan
10-28-2005, 02:39 PM
My friend Jeremy is reading that right now. Is it new or something?
Dan's finally done with anansi boys but I haven't started it yet. hee hee

megan
10-30-2005, 01:07 PM
"Sharpe's Rifles" by Bernard Cornwell

Allen
11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Doctor Zhivago.
I thought I would try something older today.

megan
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Just finished reading "Waylander" by David Gemmell(my first of his books and definately not the last) and am debating what to read next.

--Megan

Daveosaurus
11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I recommend "Legend" - the first of the Drenai books and my favourite of Gemmell's.

"Wolf in Shadow" is also good. But do not under any circumstances read its sequel - I think it's called "The Last Guardian" - not only is it crap itself but it damages my memories of "Wolf in Shadow". Yes, it's that bad. It is one of the very few books I wish I had never read.

(Edited because I got the name of the book wrong)

manekochan
11-14-2005, 08:20 PM
I've been looking for books to buy my little (9 year old) sister for Christmas. Of course I'm reading them first... to um... test *them for her... yeah... *:roll: *I read "Ella Enchanted" *and it was very cute although all the movie reviews I read were spot on about it having absolutely nothing to do with the book. I liked it quite a bit. Now, the real fun one was kind of like a funny rats of nimh or watership down (two books I loved when I was a kid even though they're depressing...). "The Amazing Maurice and his Intelligent Rodents" by Terry Pratchett. It may be too advanced for her, yet. I might keep it. ^-^ It was great, though. Maurice ought to team up with Gaspode. ^-^ Anyway, I also picked up The Neverending Story (which is what I was looking for when I went there). I started it but the typeface hurts my eyes. -_- Don't know about that.

Daveosaurus
11-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Has your little sister read "Charlotte's Web" yet?

Quaxo's Quorum
11-15-2005, 05:04 AM
The original Stewart Little and The Trumpeter Swan were also good ones for kids - at least, I liked them! :)

Has anyone read Mark Twain's "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" ? *I want to read it, but I'm having difficulty actually starting - espeically when I also have the Similarion sitting there. ;) Any thoughts?

manekochan
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't know if she's read Charlotte's Web or not but we've got a copy of it. That book is depressing... -_- I noticed the stewart little books at the store the other day but I decided to get stuff that my mom won't mind reading along with her. My sister has ADD pretty bad and it's hard to get her to read so they take turns reading to one another. ¬*(I have doubts about wether she'll appreciate the amazing maurice, either... she wasn't too keen on Good Omens when she read that... my mom wasn't, that is...) I have to get her stuff that my mom will not get bored with. The last books I gave her were Howl's moving Castle and Coraline. ¬*I've never heard of Trumpeter Swan. I should dig out my old L'Engle books and fork them over... or maybe just my Bunnicula books. *:roll: *I like Bunnicula and I was really sad when I couldn't find my copy of the 5th one. I bought it and lost it somewhere in our basement about 15 years ago.

I'm reading the neverending story right now and sofar i'm about halfway through the movie events. I have no idea what kind of stuff is padding that book out since I'm only about a fifth of the way through it. It might be too long for them to read out loud (the Harry Potter books were a bit of a daunting task too and I think I gave up on reading them to her around chapter 3 of the first one.) because they don't read out loud too often.

Allen
11-16-2005, 03:15 PM
My friend Jeremy is reading that right now. Is it new or something?
Dan's finally done with anansi boys but I haven't started it yet. hee heeColorado Kid is new. Very short novel. Not one of my favorite novels.

manekochan
11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents. Not intelligent. My bad.
I'm about halfway through the neverending story now. I didn't know that the movie was only about the first 5/6s of the book. Not quite one half.

Allen
11-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I am again reading Otherland.

manekochan
11-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Still reading Neverending story but I did go to the library and pick up "Dream a Little Dream" by Piers Anthony and someone else. I read it a few days ago. I don't know what to think of it. It's my first Piers Anthony book.

Allen
12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I have about 50 Piers Anthony books. I got great deal on garage sale. I think dime each.

megan
12-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm currently reading the second of Gemmell's Waylander books(can't think of the title) *Which is funny, actually, as I think I was reading Waylander the last time I posted to this. *I read the Adept series by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris in between.

--Megan

Blinkz
01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Finally starting to make a dent in "Queen of the Darkness." *I've been carrying it around for the past few weeks but I just haven't been in the mood for it. *Finally in the mood for it now. *I've read about a hundred pages in the past couple days. *I have the day off work tomorrow thankfully so I fully intend to make an even bigger dent tonight an tomorrow. *Which is important, because "Valentine's Rising" by E. E. Knight is on my bookshelf waiting for me. *Bought it yesterday (came out just recently). ^_^

Res
01-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I finished "Le grand Meaulnes" by Alain Fournier.
The kind of book I didn't read when I was younger, thinking it would be boring. Now, it seems I was stupid because it was a very good reading about a poetic, honest and dramatic romance. Something fantastic comes around as they sometimes tell the story through their hope and desillusions.

megan
01-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Finally starting to make a dent in "Queen of the Darkness." ¬*I've been carrying it around for the past few weeks but I just haven't been in the mood for it. ¬*Finally in the mood for it now. ¬*I've read about a hundred pages in the past couple days. ¬*I have the day off work tomorrow thankfully so I fully intend to make an even bigger dent tonight an tomorrow. ¬*Which is important, because "Valentine's Rising" by E. E. Knight is on my bookshelf waiting for me. ¬*Bought it yesterday (came out just recently). ^_^

Gaaah...i've STILL only read the first book of Vampire Earth...though I do have book 2-3. *Maybe I'll switch to those once I read Gemmell's "King Beyond the Gate."

--Megan

Allen
01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I read 355 pages in only two days. 400 page novel. I also am going to read sequel Forever Odd.

Blinkz
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Gaaah...i've STILL only read the first book of Vampire Earth...though I do have book 2-3. ¬*Maybe I'll switch to those once I read Gemmell's "King Beyond the Gate."

--Megan

GAH. *You must read the others. *It only gets better. *Besides, I need someone to harp on about it to. *It's that good. *:shock:

Allen
01-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I finished Forever Odd in little more than day.

manekochan
01-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I started Harry Potter 6 and, yes, someone already spilled on who died (no surprise) and who killed them (... they ruined that for me...) but I'm still enjoying it.

Allen
01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I am reading novella by owen King.
This is Stephen Kings son.

gurglingooze
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
The Eagle's Brood, Book 3 of "A Dream of Eagles" series. by Jack White (Excellent take on the Arthurian Legend)

and

Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, book 10,001 of Infinity of that Wheel of time series. I swore after the last one that I'd never read the next one, but it's not horrible ..... so far. *:|

Allen
01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I am now reading more into first Wheel of Time novel. I am now up to page 500. I might finish by summer. I have been really taking my time with novel.

girch
01-24-2006, 06:28 PM
For class: *Robinson Crusoe, Oliver Twist

For me: nothing :(

Blinkz
01-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Finished "Valentine's Rising." *Good. *Very good. *Very good an'frickin'brilliant. *Now, I get to start "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman.

Daveosaurus
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Jim Butcher, "Fool Moon". Because "Storm Front" was fun and actually rather good.

Blinkz
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Ah HA! *You're reading it. *Brill. *I have Grave Peril on my bookshelf. *That would be the third book in the series.

manekochan
01-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Neverwhere is great. I listened to it on a book on tape, but Danial's car, where I listened to most of it, sped it up considerably. It made the guy reading it sound like a leprechaun. ^-^ It was great! It added to the charm.
My fave Gaiman book is Stardust, though.

I just finished up "Single White Vampire" by something Sands. It was (a very crappy romance novel^-^ girly sigh...) kind of cute. I also read "Vanity and Vexation" a sort of modern re-telling of pride and prejudice. I think I could have done without it. It was alright.
I borrowed "the Golden Compass" on cd from the library so I could draw while I listened (we'll see how that turns out, exactly...). It's a teen book, but I like those kind of things alot cause I'm mentally stunted and .... they're fun. ^-^

MystikChronicler
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I feel like I'm behind the times but I've just started the Dresden Files at the beginning of the year, so far I'm on Book Six. *Still debating whether to purchase the hardback of Book Seven or wait until May for the paperback. *I promise you guys. *When I get published, I'm going to try my hardest to convince my publisher to put out both versions of the book at the same time. *I'm so not liking this tactic of forcing us to buy the more expensive book simply because we can't wait for the paperback to come out. *I'm sure there's a market for people who enjoy their books in hardcover and are willing to pay the extra price.

One of the things I appreciate about The Dresden Files (being a reader who's come into the books late) is how they label which book in the series it is. *One of the things that make me scream is trying to figure out which book in the Sookie Stackhouse Mystery is first, second, so on and so forth. *Same thing with LKH's Anita Blake books (if I were still reading them that is).

manekochan
02-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Ho ho ho! Green Giant!

Sookie Stackhouse stuff:
(The purple one with the burning house--) Dead Until Dawn
(sookie flying on a coffin)-- Living Dead in Dallas
(the one with the wolf and the owl and a nightclub on the cover)-- Club Dead
(the one with several wolves on the cover) Dead to the World (possibly my fave, just cuz I like Eric)
(I think this one comes in here--) Bite (very short story in this anthology. It's okay...)
(Red with a vamp carrying her over fire) Dead as a Doornail
(This is a new one-- out in May) Definitely Dead.

I like this series. I have all of them sofar. I think I like it a little better than the Anita Blake stuff (also have read all those, but there is no way I can tell you what order they go in. I think the first one is "Guilty Pleasures".) because Anita is so damned unlikeable and Sookie is just ... well... more likeable. It was kind of an accident. We got misshipped a copy of Dead util dark in one of our manga shipments and we were never going to sell it. Since I got 40% off and I like vampires I thought, "what the hell..." and promptly had to shell out another $20 *at B Daltons because I didn't want to wait for the next two to come in at work. -_- The fourth and fifth ones (weren't out yet when I started collecting...) were the only ones in Hardcover so I got the others cheap, but now they're re-releasing the originals in hardcover.
Anyway, I listed them with their covers because that's how I remember them. The titles are too similar. Happy Hunting!