Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RavingNoah
    Gypsy
    Re: [OOC] The Visitor

Heya, so I've been looking around the boards and I'd like to join this story. I've been thinking about who to introduce and because I'd prefer to ease into this Board RPG'ing thing, I didn't want to make some wildly interesting character straight out of the gate.

So, here's a proposal: an older woman (at least 50), amiable and prone to acting dumb even though she isn't, a believer in the power of personal positive reinforcement but who often "gets down in the dumps," short and slightly rotund (but not obese), post-menopausal, who dresses alternatively in pastel florals and dark metallics (like thin black and gold Dianne Warwick-era casual wear).

The weird thing would be that no matter how the alien's presence is presented to her (not counting whatever powers the alien may have or choose to display/use), a Freudian mental barrier in her ego/id/whatever would keep her from seeing/hearing/detecting the alien as it is... So, though she might see it on the television, her general amicability coupled with her Freudian cloud would force her to believe that it was a science fiction show, no matter how much a friend may move to convince her otherwise.

Taken to the extreme, being presented in the alien's direct presence, she would experience a powerful hallucination...her mind's complete reluctance to present to her what is right in front of her face, and its desperate attempt to fashion for her a different reality to mask it.

So, both the kinds of "tics" or hallucinations she might have (between the extremes of just denying the reality of the "tv show" and the psychotic grip of a hallucination brought on by being next to the alien) might be interesting/fun to come up with...and also why she has this Freudian block in the first place.

She wouldn't be unemployed, or married...perhaps she used to be married...kids are somewhere else and don't contact her...isolation as a theme, etc. She could work at a fabric shop and maybe also a flower shop too. Keeping busy to keep from going crazy, she might tell herself. She might have a few close friends who know her as "a little off" or something like that...but who treat her as "the most decent of persons." Her friends would be a stabilizing influence on her...though not capable of influencing the effects of the mental block (largely because they would know she had one).

In any case, that's what I was thinking...please let me know if that works. Of course, I'm happy to abridge anything.

OH YEAH: Not sure if you guys do this, but I'd like to make a character profile for whatever I might end up participating as...but I won't bother registering anything until I know what's up...
    ...to the topTop

MrOuija
    Gypsy

I like the character idea a lot, she reminds me of the old lonely mother in Requiem for a Dream. The only problem I see is if the story takes off into military bases and top secretiveness, it may be tough to bring her along. But I may be able to work it out if I make her part of the Alien's entourage (similar to how the preacher would be able to move with us, the alien just requires his presence for whatever reason).
    ...to the topTop

RavingNoah
    Gypsy

Hmm, I could see how that would be difficult. I would rather just cameo her when the storyline didn't strictly call for such secretiveness...

...and then maybe I could work off of a more general character archetype for a lesser character that I might use while the storyline is bridging through the kind of territory you mentioned.

...to the topTop

Just wanted to give a quick poke that I'm still definitely jumping in. Just trying to find enough time to sit down and write something that can be understood by humans! LOL
    Feel free to feed the Kulit!

@kulit: Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | @drealkulit: Instagram | Flickr
    ...to the topTop

Don't worry, we have an extraterrestrial in our cast . At lest one of us would understand.
    ...to the topTop

Parad0x
    Gypsy

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, you guys. I'm working on my dialog a bit, MrOuija thinks I'm boring, I think he's too clever. We'll meet somewhere in the middle. I tend to over develop my characters at the beginning, so that when something is "left unsaid" later, you're able to understand what they're thinking rather than having to explain it. My last post kind of moved the story along, and puts both of my characters in a position to do some fairly interesting things.

Meteoro, I wanted to speak with you a bit about potential interaction between our characters. I speak Spanish and Russian - and my Spanish is Southern Californian Mexican Spanish, and also Southern Andalucian (Castellana) Spanish. I'll leave it open for now, but I figure one of my characters can be someone that could communicate with Raphael. I haven't committed either character to a language yet, but if there's one you'd prefer to interact with or not, let me know! Tom cracks me up, btw.
    ...to the topTop

I'm happy to supply the insanity....
    ...to the topTop

Hey, Parad0x! About Rafael's language, I thought about making him non-English speaking mostly to cause him difficulties to relate with others, but I wouldn't like to confuse other people by having entire conversations in Spanish.

I've had him say a couple of words here and there in Spanish, but mostly because I want to establish his difficulties, but nothing that are really meaningful for the understanding of the scene. So, you can have your character speak in Spanish if anything, but when they meet, I'd rather have the narration explaining the conversation going on between them than having the actual conversation in Spanish.

Just my thought . What do you think?
    ...to the topTop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345