Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [OOC] Eryonne General Discussion

[OOC] Eryonne General Discussion

Welcome to Eryonne! A fantasy world that the Quarrels and Quills community can help to build, grow and expand. This thread is for general discussion relating to Eryonne, active stories in Eryonne, or just general conversation completely unrelated to any running story in Eryonne.

Eryonne is a new forum for RP. It is a fantasy RP created for Quarrels and Quills. The idea is that the community will help to build and define this world and its inhabitants. Right now, the forum is created but locked. I'll add some basic info into it as soon as I have the opportunity, but any thoughts or ideas should be added here.

Fantasy tends to be the most popular RP style, I believe, and I think having a unique fantasy world that we can build upon can help to bring new people to the site. I'd really appreciate any help from the existing members.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

The Great Orange One Qwaring's clone#1 is offline Qwaring's clone#1's Avatar
    Re: Eryonne

Sounds cool, Jason. I'll do a little brainstorming and see what I can come up with.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Nice thing is, we don't have to come up with everything right away. We can start with one little corner of the world and let the world grow through the participation in much the same way we've seen the CrossGen Campaign grow over the past several years. I do have some ideas to get the ball rolling, and was going to start posting some of those ideas today. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling completely well at the moment, beginnings of a head cold, so I can't think as straight as I'd like.
    ...to the topTop

I think this is a good idea and if I have any ideas I'll let you know.
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Muahahahaha! Character creation is my very very favourite part of RP. A world is very much a character - I'm looking forward to this.

Of course, you all know how weird I am, so this may be....interesting. I'll be brainstorming. Oh yes. Prepare thineselves.

btw - I love steampunk.

Just had to get that out there.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

Cool idea. I would think we would need to establish a god like Altwaal for the world. A god that isn't played by anyone but is who the characters worship because he or she is viewed the creator their world.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Something that struck me during vacuuming today:

Many planets/places that have been created - not just here, but in I would say most fantasy/scifi stories - have a distinct lack of seasons as we know them. They are "the Ice Planet" "the Desert Planet" "the Tropical Planet" etc. All these things are well and good, but I thought it would be interesting to pursue a place that has 4 distinct seasons. The way RP goes around here, 2008 could be spring, 2009 summer, etc. or some other pre-defined method of telling what season it is.

Just thought it might add some dimension to the setting.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Re: [OOC] Eryonne General Discussion

Moved this thread into Eryonne as the General Discussion thread.

Seasons are important, I agree. They would vary depending on their locations on the world as well. Northern hemisphere and souther hemisphere differences, closeness to equator or polar regions, other terrain considerations as well. I don't think we can use one unified theme for seasons, but we might be able to find an appropriate calendar to somehow keep track of time.

Oh, and Eryonne is unlocked, but don't create new threads just yet. Use this thread for discussion temporarily.
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny
    Cool idea. I would think we would need to establish a god like Altwaal for the world. A god that isn't played by anyone but is who the characters worship because he or she is viewed the creator their world.
    I have a suggestion for the creation myth/concept of the diety, but not a name. I'm terrible with names.
    Keep in mind this is just a rough idea, just to get a discussion started. And it's something of a melding of various concepts and myths, but it seems to work well together in my head.

The world was created by two beings, a god and a goddess. They made the planet, sun(s), moon(s) and skies. To populate the world they worked seperately along two different ideas. The goddess created the animals and shaped all of nature for them to live in. The god created a race of angels and gave them heavenly cities to live in. It was paradise.

The god and goddess decided to live on the world of their making, and walk among the angels and creatures that they gave life to. They enjoyed the lives and events that unfolded around them. They were happy. Unfortunately not everyone shared their joy. A faction of the angels had grown jealous of the power of the two dieties. The angels had been granted vast amounts of power, except for the power of creation that their gods enjoy. And so they decide to steal that power. A small army of these jealous angels ambushed the goddess. They used their combined power in an attempt to rip the power of creation from her. The god sensed this attack and lashed out at them with the power they sought to steal. His wrath was ultimate, the power of his attack was without equal. They rebellious angels were destroyed. Much of the cities that had been the battleground during the ambush were destroyed. And the god had paid the price for using his creative energies to destroy, his own power consumed him. He burned for thirteen days and nights. His ashes were carried away by smoke filled winds and scattered all over the world. From these ashes new life sprung up. This life became the various races of Eryonne (humans, elves, dwarves, ogres, dragons, ect).

The goddess rewarded the remaining angels, those that had remained loyal to their creators, by granting them a hidden land. Someplace for them to live in peace, without the new life seeing their power and growing jealous of it, just like the rebellious angels grew envious of their dieteis power. She then left Eryonne. She had learned that she could not live among her creations, because in time they would grow envious of her power. None would ever be able to threaten her, since they could never be as powerful as that army of angels, but she still can't bear to relive her greatest tragedy all over again. And so she exists elsewhere, watching over and guiding Eryonne from afar. She would be the focus of worship, due to her role in creation and her continued role in the world. The god would be acknowledged for his role in creation, but not actively worshipped since he's dead.

The souls of the angels that were destroyed lived on as spirits. As time went on they became demons and ethereal creatures. They are forever condemned to exist in hollow half-lives without any hope of release. Over the ages their envy has only grown, now they are jealous of the living and will do all they can to currupt, torment or destroy them.

The cities that the angels had lived in was left in ruins. Time has either finished destroying them or buried them. Occassionally some remnants of structures remain. Mostly there are the underground tunnels and structures where the creatures of the dark make their homes. There might also be magical items and scrolls left over from the ancient angellic civilization within these ruins. But these items are rare, and often very dangerous.

The roles of the god and goddess can be switched. I only randomly chose which of them did what just to make the idea easier to write out. And if we don't want to use angels, we can make them giants or some other kind of creature. I only used angels because some posters on the site have a fondness for RPing them. And if we don't use this concept at all that's alright, I can figure out other ways of using it in some future story that I may write.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

I like the story you have started with, Q.

One thing I think, though, while we have one uniform creation story for Eryonne, I think we should find a way to allow for multiple mythologies to exist. Each race or society could have its own mythology. These gods and goddesses would be what is worshiped by the races of Eryonne, and as new players come creating their own piece of Eryonne, they can create their own mythos if they wanted to.
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast