Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Re: [OOC] Eryonne General Discussion

Exactly. This could just be the "local" religion. Other beliefs are held by people of other regions of the world, and these other religions could always spread. So not everyone will believe it. It's just a starting point for those that need it.

What about locations? Where do we want to start things?
    Do we want to start in a single location (a city or village) and see how things spread form there? Our characters from different places can fill out the world through their backstories and travels once they leave this starting point?
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it would be better if we start as local as possible. Maybe a specific city in a kingdom. I don't think we want to spread out too much initially, as it might make it harder to get things established.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

What if we start in a walled city that is currently under siege by an enemy army. I'm not sure of the why's, but there would be an enemy army outside of the walls trying to a) find some secret way of entering the city, b) wear down the walls and other defenses or c) tire out the defenders so that they have no choice but to surrender. Sieges could potentially last for weeks at a time.

This might give us a somewhat dramatic backdrop for the setting. And it would keep our characters in one place for a little while in order to get a chance for them to encounter each other. Maybe trying to find a way to escape the city and sneak past the invaders will be a reason for some of the characters to join together. Either they want to leave the city just so they aren't trapped there any more by the siege, or they want to get something or someone to help fight off the invaders.

And the enemy army, or even the city, could be commanded by the "villain" of whatever story we come up with. It's nice to have a bad guy handy.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

What if the "villain" wasn't exactly a true villain? What if the city is under siege by forest-creature-types? The people built in their wood...but who said it was "their wood" to begin with? I love working with grey areas and two sides of the same coin sort of stuff! What you thinks?

Reminds me - I had an interesting thought on some fae type creatures. I can't write it right now, but I will be back and will type it up for you guys then. Hopefully with sketches.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

What kind of creatures would they be? Intelligent animals, half animal and half humanoid, or some kind of humanoid creature that just lives in the woods, like orcs, goblins or trolls?

If they are nature based enemies, they wouldn't have catapults and arrows for their siege. I suppose they could still try battering rams (or actual rams), thrown bolders (if they possess great strength) or attempts to dig under the wall.
    ...to the topTop

It could be a mix of those sorts of things. And really, all you have to accomplish with a siege is the death of those within. So long as the people inside are too scared to come out and no supplies get in, the ones on the outside win. I could see some of the creatures attacking the fortress to keep an armed guard busy and people on edge. Perhaps some elementals? There could also be weaponry if there are centaurs and the like joining in the siege. And yes, trolls and such are very scary and very strong...

Warring humanoid factions are good too. It would be most interesting if the non-magical/god-imbued creations avoided the other creatures (woodlands and such) and then were forced to turn to them in their time of need. Proving the worth of a species is a difficult and noble enterprise.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

I think the siege is a good idea to keep things contained to one city. Building on what has been discussed...

The city itself wasn't the problem, but some from the city caused the problem. There is a nearby wood that is protected by the fae creatures. When the city was first built, there was a spoken agreement between the city founders and the fae that there would be no hunting in that wood unless guided and approved by the fae, no cutting down or damaging to the trees and other plant life. Time passed and the city grew. Those in the city pretty much knew to stay away from the wood. Perhaps the truth of the wood got lost in legends. The legends would change so that the wood was dangerous, and anyone who ever entered never returned. Even though, as long as the "rules" were obeyed, anyone could pass through the woods safely.

One day a hunting party of five men decided to brave the "unknown dangers" of the forbidden wood. I think the wood itself, when described, needs to be described as more than an ordinary wood. Something almost mystical about it. Of course, in their mind, the fae were the evil creatures of the woods, and their purpose was to kill the "evil" fae to make the wood safe for humans (and other races). They did manage to kill a couple fae, maybe important leaders of the fae, as the fae weren't expecting to be attacked (they're generally peaceful). They did fight back, and got the mystical creatures of that mystical wood to join in the attack. Four of the five hunters were killed in the wood and one managed to return to the city, barely alive.

The fae and woodland creatures, angered over the death of these important fae and any woods creatures killed as the hunters tried to escape, lay siege to the city. The purpose was to destroy the city and its inhabitants, so that the woods would never be threatened again.

Most of those in the city, believe the fae to be evil. There are the distorted legends, which aren't even close to true, the highly exaggerated stories of the surviving hunter (who of course considers himself and his friends innocent of blame), and the fact that the fae and the woodland creatures are attacking the city, bent on destruction.

The fae, on the other hand, aren't evil. They are generally peaceful. They believe, though, as a result of the fae that were killed, that the people in the city are dangerous and need to get away. Some of the woodland creatures won't hesitate to kill, but generally, if anyone tries to escape the city, the fae won't kill them, as long as they don't head in the direction of the wood. Of course, since no one inside the city knows this, they simply think that those who escape get killed by the fae.

At some point in the future, there can be a SL with a group of members that go out to try to restore the peace with the fae. In the initial stages, though, the party should be confined to adventures inside the city, with the siege just being a backdrop.
    ...to the topTop

May I suggest that three of the five hunters (including the survivor) were sons of the cities leader. The other two could be nephews of his. So the whole situation will be on a more personal level with those governing the city.

And what if, when the survivng hunter returned to city the leader had a local alchemist cook up a way to defend the city (since I'm assuming the Fae, or at least some of them could just fly over the wall). The alchemist made an elemental powder which contains essense of iron spirits (or some other made up alchemaic hoo-doo) which is spread along the top of the wall, and prevents Fae from flying over it or effecting it with their power. But before the powder was completely spread along the wall some Fae managed to enter the city in an initial assault. They were driven off, but few might remain in the city, hiding and either looking for a way to escape or to sabotage the cities defenses. The powder is heavy enough not to be completely blown away by a strong wind and the sentries are equiped with extra bags of it so they can quickly fix any gaps that might appear.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Sounds good. One thing I'd like to also mention, since there are "legends" relating to the wood, I think the city should have existed a long time. It probably started as a small village, but, over time, has since become a large, walled city.

I think the city should be a great trade city as well, so this siege is hurting the economy of the city and disrupting the trade route. Again, that is something that would help for the backdrop and future SL.
    ...to the topTop

I really really like the powder idea - and that some fae may be "stuck" inside the city. I think the conflict is well-founded with your idea, Jas. It's always something small that sparks an all-out war. The fact that humans are stupid is something one can always count on.

It would be interesting if we were to have elves - that they are no different really from humans. That is to say, not magically imbued. A different physical appearance - a different set of morals and religion...things like that are usually enough to separate peoples. It would be very interesting if elves were not fae. Just a thought. I guess non-fae elves would make them not elves at all. Nevermind I guess. Still...it is good to challenge common beliefs.

And no, haven't had time for sketching yet. *sigh* But they are SO right there...
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast