Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Re: [OOC] Eryonne General Discussion

I think I have the beginings of a character idea. I'll have to type something up later.

As for elves, we could have magical and non-magical varieties. Maybe it has to do with where an elven city is located. Some places are a wellspring of natural occuring mystical energy, and as long as elves live there they can learn to tap into that energy and over time develope the ability to use magic anywhere, even without the aid of a wellspring. But if an elf town is built someplace without a wellspring over time their society loses this ability until they develope into non-magical elves. Or if an elf leaves a wellspring city before they've learned how to use magic without it they will also be unmagical. These nonmagical elves would be looked down upon as the "poor cousins" of elven society.

So magical elves, just like retail, all depends on: location, location, location.

Or not. I'm just thinking out loud.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know, but I always picture elves as tied to nature. They gain their "magic" through nature. Yes, that is the more traditional view of elves, but I think it is appropriate. Of course, there could be varying types of elves. Sub-races, so to speak.

If you look at other threads in this forum, you'll see a races thread, where humans are listed so far. The idea is that, as we create new races, we expand upon this list. For elves, we probably want to make a more generic elven race (whoever wants to take that on), and then later someone else can create a more specific sub-race of elves if they wanted to. Same thing would go for the fae. The general fae would be created as a playable race in that forum, and if necessary, sub-races of fae could be created.

Question is, would elves be related to fae, or would they be different? I'm okay with it either way.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

I just finished reading the thread and I'm already falling inlove with all of the ideas, even the dismissed ones, lol. I think you're headed into a great direction and I like the "under siege" theme since it works greatly for creating a contained setting.

I know elves are tied to nature, but I also like the idea of the "poor non-magical cousins". Having a sub-race of non-magical elves could already create differences that would be interesting to play out. And I'm already getting ideas for a character on this non-magical trend .

I'll check what else you've posted in this sub-forum.
    ...to the topTop

If their special abilities are tied to nature then the unpowered variety might just be elves that have abandonned nature in favor of more "modern" lives. Elves living in big cities and away from nature in its purer form would have less of an opportunity to use their natural abilities, and so over time (years or decades) they might atrophy. Eventually, after generations of living away from nature, there exists a powerless variety of elf that is no longer in touch with their empowered roots.

This doesn't mean that an elf who moves into the city is at risk of losing their powers. But if they spend years without exercising their ties to nature their power will begin to fade a little bit at a time until they find that they've become useless. The elf can decide to try to work on healing their link to nature, or just settle on the new life they've made in the city.

As for elves being related to Fae, I'm thinking that they're seperate, but are able to crossbreed with one another. So an elf and a Fae can have children that would have traits of both races. These children could either live in elf society or Fae society. Over the centuries the two races have mingled so much that it isn't so unusual to find elves that are closely related to Fae and Fae that are closely related to elves. But you would also have groups from both race that aren't mixed at all. So it's up to the player if their character has any mixed ancestry.
    ...to the topTop

It sounds interesting, Q, and it actually works for me. I was actually thinking on the same line about the elves' abilities diminishing when they remain for too long within a city and away from nature.

This is what I'll be using for my character. It will be a young de-powered elf girl who has lived in the city for her entire life and so has her family. She's the third or fourth generation of elves living in the city and she's the first one to have absolute no power over nature. Obviously, she's deeply frustrated and she will want to regain the "magics" that she consider to be her true legacy. There will be a reason why her great-grandfather moved into the city, but I'll work on that later. For now, I'll focus on this girl wanting to regain the abilities that should have been hers by birthright.

I still have no name for this character, but her concept will be about search of identity and a quest for power. I think she will be fun to play with
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

So who is going to create the Elf race for the Races of Eryonne thread? I assume Quaxo will handle the fae for that thread.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Um, what I have in mind for fae might be a little different from what you're expecting, so I'll finish my sketches and description and post them here before I do the entry. The sketches are done, but I'd like to colour them too. I know, fussy fussy.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

As for the elves, I'm really not that accurate on their concept. I can do the non-powered sub-species, but I'd rather let someone else do the main race
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

I posted the basic elven race already. I took care of the sub-race as well, as the two are closely linked. These aren't final, though, even though they are posted in the Races thread. If anyone has any questions, comments, suggestions, additions, removals, etc, please post them here, and I'll be happy to amend the race information.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Love the concepts developing! You're giving me ideas for a character of my own.

I want to throw an idea out to all of you, see what you think. In regard to the "woods" in question, you want it to be more than a normal type of woods full of wildlife, trees, creatures, etc. What if the woods themselves had a life of their own, almost sintient? This would give the "woods" that "magical" almost alive feeling. Here's my thought behind that, these woods because it is a part of nature gives or grants if you will, all the creatres their magical abilities. If the woods are harmed, it can ramp up or scale back the power the beings have that live within. One of the reasons why you would see elves loose their strength over nature the further they are away from their own area?

Here's an outside scenario:
    A thoughtless human decides to chop down a sacred tree. As he swings his ax he is picked up from the ground and tossed out of the forest by some unknown force? or behaps the tree itself?

I hope I'm not talking in circles, my brain's at home without me today. Anyway, one last comment for feedback. I would love to add dragons to this list of races! My idea behind this is that they are like any other species, there are factions among the dragons both good and evil, but they remain out of the affairs of the other creatures. Perhaps some of them are guardians and remain neutral unless called upon for epic wars. There are shapeshifters, powerful magic wielders, healers, etc. There are a wide variety of colors and they live in different regions, but are rarely seen. They may even be an unseen force pulling the strings of affairs in certain cities. I don't know, what do you all think? I'm going to mull this over some more and see what else devolps.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast