Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 1129 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss Take' Inn

Re: Miss Take' Inn

Mai filled a large pitcher up. She began making her way around the tables to refill empty mugs. She came to Ryan's table and smiled.
    "You look far too dry and bored. The first one I can help you with. Boredom now, that's liable to get you into trouble, you know." Mai told him with a twinkle in her eye as she refilled his drink.

Noticing Jimli's distress Mai called over to him. "Jimli, just do your best. That's all I'm asking. Captain Taylor should be coming in to bring me my coin soon."

Mai hoped anyway... so often here lately the fellows ended up being broke with no coin to pay with. Mai had paid to repair more chairs recently than in all the three years she had been running the place alone. Mai sighed. Khouhei... she missed him so much. He had been her great joy but their time together was far too short. Mai still ached over Khouhei. The Inn had been his idea. Mai tried believing he would return to her but her hopes grew dimmer with each passing month. His ship went down... that was all she knew for sure, the not knowing tortured her as much perhaps as his absence. Mai had to go on and so she did. Some nights when the pain grew too much she would join her patrons and drink herself to forgetfulness but that grew tiresome: paying the price the whole next day for a few mere hours of being numb. Mai kept these things tucked away most of the time. No one but Jezz and Captain Taylor knew about Khouhei.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jezz

Jezz watched Mai as she went about the room with her pitcher filling mugs with ale. Her eyes lightly touched upon those whose faces had become familar sites. They were all feeling the pinch of the siege and some apparently more than others. Jezz for one was one day short of jumping over the wall and putting some space between this city and herself. It was her thought that some dim witted human was the cause of this trouble with the fae. She herself had never had issues with the creatures, and had half a notion to join the fae if for nothing else than to rid the town of ignorant fools.

Mai seemed to be in bright spirits, unlike the days when the thoughts of Khouhei touched her mind and brought about a sadness within her that few knew. It was one of the few times that Jezz could get her to drink herself silly. The truth is, Jezz never drank unless she was in town, but you'd never know it by the way she held her ale. One could only guess as to why she drank, maybe to forget, but the only one that knew for sure was Jezz herself. And the only one that had come close to getting her to say anything was Mai, and deep down she felt that Mai knew even though she'd never said a word.

Jezz barely registered poor Jimli, she had already begun to feel the affects of the ale. Her eyes wondered over to the stranger that had accompanied Mai back into the Inn and then over to Ryan. He kept to himself, like her, she respected that. Mai's words of boredom were enough to prompt Jezz to speak, more out of her own boredom than anything.

What about a game of chance Mai?! Surely we can get someting going to pass the night.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

"What do you have in mind, Jezz?"

Mai asked, curiously. She put a reassuring hand on Jimli's shoulder without saying anything. She knew how demeaning such labor could be but she wanted to remind Jimli that she appreciated his efforts. Mai also know boredom was overtaking the whole town. The Inns had never sold so much liquor to the locals. She hoped something would change soon. She was fond of a lot of these lunkheads. They were Khouhei's people after all...
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Jezz

Jezz thought for a moment, surprised by the many games that came to her mind, even those of child hood. She had always loved Fox & Geese as a child, but she was a bit old for a game of capture and she had no love interest to chase. What they needed was something suitable for the Inn, a game of dice.

A round of Shut the Box, Three Throws, Riffa, or Pair & Ace, what ever strikes our fancy.
    ...to the topTop

"I do have some dice behind the bar. Pair & Ace was always my personal favorite, I liked trying to decipher who had gotten what on the secret roll. Hmm... now that I think about it, I did tend to LOSE a lot..." Mai added with a laugh. She turned toward Ryan's corner.
    "Hey Ryan, why don't you join Jezz here for a game? Anyone else interested?" Mai turned around to peruse the customers. She wondered if the stranger would join them. She would watch and keep selling food and drink to her customers.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Jezz

Jezz smiled at Mai, it was the first warming smile on her this evening. Long ago, it was a smile that was never far from her lips. Jezz reached over behind the bar and found Mai's dice while trying to hide the fact she'd had more to drink than what she'd ordered in Mai's Inn. Tonight marked the anniversary of an event in her life that had brought profound change. And it was the first time she found herself trapped in the company of others during this anniversary, so she had to find a way to bury her thoughts of her past while in the presence of others.

What say you Ryan? Care for a round of Pair & Ace?
    ...to the topTop

Mai watched Jezz surreptiously. There was something under the surface bothering Jezz too she could tell that much, but Mai was not one to pry. She would let Jezz tell her in her own timing if she even chose to tell her at all. It was one thing that made Mai very good at her business. Many came to Miss Take' Inn just to have a sympathetic ear. Mai smiled at the Inn name. Khouhei had named it and much to Mai's initial objections, the name stuck. Khouhei had a delightful sense of humor, one of the many things Mai loved about him. Mai turned away from her customers, grabbed a towel and began to dry furiously at a mug while fighting back the memories. Mai's whole body ached in sweet longing for Khouhei's touch and she found breathing suddenly difficult. She knew she had to get herself back to the present and shake off this sentimentality.

Still not turning around, Mai poured a glass of the strong amber fluid and threw it back. What was happening to her...to everyone? Everyone seemed to be going crazy. Maybe that was it...the town being closed off made the memories start closing in. Mai sighed and finished drying the mugs she had washed.

"Mai! Hey I need two refills over here!" someone called out over the low din of voices in the Inn. The woman began to fill her pitcher, giving a soft, melancholy sigh.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Jezz

Jezz turned back to the bar while she waited for Ryan's response. The world had already begun to sway and Jezz knew she would be in no condition to make it to her make-shift home outside. She only hoped that Mai had kept an open room for her. She pulled out her leather coin purse tucked neatly within her belt and set the proper coin on the top of the bar. She waited for Mai to return before asking.

Mai, do you still have my room available? She asked in a low voice.

I'll have need for it tonight. She continued in her low voice.
    Jezz only hoped she could make it to her room on her own volition.
    ...to the topTop

Mai frowned. "No Jezz I'm booked up..."
    Mai suddenly smiled and shoved the coin back at her. "You are welcome to share my suite with me! Have a good time Jezz!"
    ...to the topTop

Ryan nodded in Mai's direction when she refilled his drink. He often worried that others would get the wrong idea when he was quiet. Thinking he didn't appreciate their efforts. But Mai understood his desire for solitude. She filled his drink and left him be. He always hoped his ample tips showed her he appreciated it.

He let his gaze fall on the red head that Mai called Jezz. She was a striking woman, much like Mai. The scenery was one of the best things about the Miss Take' Inn. He listened to the women discuss boredom. He even smiled slightly when they mentioned climbing over the wall. He realized that his plan to dig a secret tunnel sounded better and better.

Mai suddenly shouted in his direction.

"Hey Ryan, why don't you join Jezz here for a game? Anyone else interested?"

He smiled and waved them off as friendly as he could. He was never a big fan of gambling. The pirate in him never liked to play fair. Suddenly Jezz shouted over.

"What say you Ryan? Care for a round of Pair & Ace?"

This time it was one too many beautiful women to ignore. Ryan got to his feet, adjusted his belt and made his way over to watch the ladies play.

"I am more of a spectator. But I thank you kindly for the offer." he bowed.
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 1129 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast