Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Re: Shiverpeaks

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita thought that Tallo was being unnecessarily harsh. They didn't even know this man. There was no cause to treat him with scorn.

Even though she didn't entirely approve, though, she didn't say anything, because she wanted to see how Jacobi would respond. After all, if they ended up working together, it likely wouldn't be in a situation where everything around them was pleasant and nice. She needed to see how he handled conflict.

Her only reaction was when Tallo made the comment that Jacobi should 'dare not to place extra concern upon the women,' when she rolled her eyes and unsuccessfully stifled a laugh. Surely Tallo didn't imagine that a woman who was a Ranger, and spent practically all her time outside anyway-- often in dangerous terrain-- would be scared immobile by a snowfall? If Tallo made a habit of such misguided chivalry, they would struggle to work together. But Anakita reserved a final judgment for now.

Both men quickly lost her attention when she got a good look at Fang, however. Anakita's face lit up, and she sized up the creature with undisguised interest. "She's lovely, Mara! Moss Spiders are rare pets. How did she come to be yours?"

Perhaps once they got to know each other better, Anakita would be able to touch the spider and see what her exoskeleton felt like. For now, that seemed rather invasive, so she just looked, and Azh gave the large arachnid a curious sniff.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jacobi looked at Tallo for several seconds just staring at him. His scarred expressed made it look like he was contemplating killing the monk. But that wasn't what he was thinking. He was bewildered by the man for how he responded to him.

When he finally spoke, it was soft. "I didn't realize I was impeding your journey. I thought I was pretty much minding my own business."

Then he paused for a second and asked, "Was that an invitation to join you in your quest to find your countrymen?" He raised an eyebrow, "I've been asked nicer." He shook his head at Tallo.

His mouth turned to a smirk again, "You of course see my bow. But there's another bit about me."

He took his glove off of his hand and held it up, it was covered in what appeared to be plague. But then he rubbed it with his other hand and the plague disappeared. "The plague was an illusion."
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

When Jacobi responded, Anakita was only listening with half an ear, more focused on the interesting spider. It seemed a reasonable reply, and suggested the other Ranger could hold his own. A good sign. That was all she really needed to know...

The attention drawn to the bow made Anakita instinctively look over again, even though she was still awaiting Mara's story. What she saw shocked her, but probably not for the reasons Jacobi expected.

It was an impressive illusion, certainly. Anakita had seen equal displays of power, but this was a respectable effort, especially when it was purely for demonstration purposes. What took her breath away, and made her turn pale, was the subject matter. She had to physically turn away, to keep her emotions in check.

The words rang in her mind again, like they had the first time. Plague in Cantha... She had traveled there to help, only to be confronted with how painfully little she could do. People were becoming ill so quickly. The disease hideously distorted their bodies, but worse was the effect on their minds. She had seen whole families wiped out. She had seen mothers and fathers grieving their dead children, desperate people searching for any method of curing their suffering loved ones.

There was no cure for the plague. Sure, there were fake ones sold to the terrified populace by unscrupulous traders, but nothing really helped. Once they were infected, people would sicken, face excruciating pain, lose their minds, violently attack their loved ones, spread their disease. It was impossible to keep count of how many of the Afflicted she had put out of their misery; there was nothing else she could do for them, and it had been an act of mercy, both for them and for the people they would otherwise have infected in the future. Even so, Anakita was sure that there would be special tortures waiting for her in the Realms of Torment when she died, to pay her back for their blood. She had never felt so dirty, so compromised, and she knew that the stain would never leave her soul.

It was because of the plague that Kimi lived with Anakita and Stefan; she had lost both parents. Anakita had stumbled upon the child just moments after Danika (the Kurzick Count's daughter) had put both the mother and father down like animals when their disease-addled brains made them attack little Kimi. Kimi still cried at night, still loved and missed them-- as well she should, because it hadn't been their fault, it was the sickness. The poor little girl's world had been torn apart. Every day, as witness to her grief, Anakita saw tangible evidence of the devastation, the incalculable loss.

The plague wasn't funny. It wasn't a game. Anakita knew that for a Krytan, the disease was just a whisper from a faraway land, so she didn't really blame him. He wasn't intentionally being insensitive; he had no way of knowing it would hurt. But she had been in Cantha, she had seen it, and the illusion of it here made her feel like she could vomit.

"Don't do that at the camp," Anakita warned Jacobi. That was the last thing Kimi needed to see.

Then the Ranger abruptly turned on her heel and stalked off in the direction they had come from. Her words suggested that everyone was welcome to follow, but it was evident from her stride that she wasn't waiting.

When Mara caught up, Anakita spoke to the Monk in a tone that suggested nothing had happened, "Sorry. Tell me about the spider?"
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Jacobi was surprised at her reaction to the display and he immediately regretted using it as his illusion. When she ordered him not to do it around camp, he mumbled, "Sorry I won't. I didn't think."

When she turned and walked away he sighed and quickly gathered his things. His horse obediently walked up to him to follow him to the new camp. He placed his pack on the saddle and then followed the others.

When he caught up to them, he looked at Tallo, "I also won't be adding extra concern on the women. I thought I'd mention the impending storm in case they didn't know."

He walked onward and wondered what he was getting himself in for. At least he won't have the role of leading this time. Maybe this is the way to do things. He certainly has failed at it enough times.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mara Dayne

The subject of Fang brought a smile to Mara’s face. It may seem strange for a petite and feminine woman such as Mara to have an interest in a spider as a pet. But, she was half Necro and she had never found spiders repulsive. Eve walked around with her skull “Adam,” and she chose Fang. She paused briefly, trying to figure out to approach the question without causing a sore spot with Tallo, especially when it concerned a person that held a large portion of his contempt.

The paused seemed long enough to cause another moment of tense concern. It did not escape Mara’s eyes when Jacobi had produced his plague ridden hand. A quiet gasp escaped her lips, there was no way she could heal that, and there was no cure for the plague that had run rampant in Cantha. But when it turned out to be an elaborate illusion, a cold fear gripped Mara’s heart. Had it been Tora, Jacobi would not be standing there drawing breath most likely.

It wasn’t that her guild sister was some cold heartless butcher. She in particular would not have found this joke funny. Cantha was her home; she grew up around the plague, lost many friends to it during their struggle against Shiro. An assassin was not someone you wanted to make enemies with. Tora was a good woman, very reserved and traditional. Whether Jacobi had meant to be funny or not, Tora would not have found it funny at all.

But she wasn’t the only one, as Mara’s gaze fell upon Tallo while Anakita cautioned Jacobi. He too had spent a great deal of his life in Cantha, even though he was not a native. They never spoke of it out loud, but Mara was quite sure that Tallo and Tora had known each other long before the rest of their guild members. Tora had been raised at Sing Jea Monastery and like many had tutored under Master Togo. But Mara chose to follow Anakita, before Tallo could react. She didn’t necessarily want to see what would happen to the person she might have to heal momentarily.

The change of subject back to Fang was easier to handle than what might be happening any moment. Again, she smiled at Anakita as Fang followed them toward camp.

“Thank you. She was gift, from my guild brother Hobarrt. He found the egg sack which was already damaged. He took this one particular sack and gave the rest to The Traveler, in hopes that he would be able to protect and preserve the rest. He brought the sack home and gave it to me. Fang has been with me since before she was born”

As they neared the camp, Mara quickly caught the sounds of children. They sounded too old to be Anakita’s, but they made her smile anyway.

“Oh, Fang likes kids, but I can have her stay just outside the camp if it will be an issue. As long as she stays close I can keep protective enchantments on her and protect her from the cold.”

When it appeared there was no objection to Fang, Mara’s mind drifted back to the noises from the camp. She thought about Kayla, and the smile seemed to broaden.

“You have worked with Kayla Zahn haven’t you Anakita? She and Mr. Abs are expecting.”

With sudden realization of what she just said, Mara turned a crimson red. Talking with Anakita had always been like being with her guild sisters, that’s why the slip had happened so easily.

“Oh, I’m sorry Anakita. I mean Aeson. Kayla and Aeson are expecting. I’m really sorry; I guess I’m used to hearing him called that by Sonja.”

If being red from embarrassment could heat a small village, Mara would likely have melted all the snow of this particular mountain top.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita listened with interest to the story of Fang's origin. What she had said earlier was true; Moss Spiders were rare animal companions. A fascinating pet indeed.

Had she known Mara considered the kids too old to be potentially hers, Anakita would have been flattered, even though it wasn't entirely accurate. Though she hadn't given birth to either of them, she certainly could have produced children of that age-- she would have been twenty-four when Kimi was born, and twenty-six for Djalila, not exactly a child herself.

Anakita shook her head when Mara offered to have Fang sleep outside. "Thanks, but that's not necessary. The girls will be curious, but I don't think they'll be afraid. They're pretty brave."

She smiled at the news of Mara's guild sister's pregnancy, and couldn't help that smile broadening into a wider grin at the Monk's embarrassment. "I worked with Kayla some while I was in Elona. She's a good person." Now that she was getting used to these companions, Anakita was warming up, not being quite as reserved in her speech.

"I've worked with Aeson also, when I was in Luxon territory. He's a good man, too. And I can assure you, I know exactly what you girls mean about the abs." Anakita winked, the earthy Ranger not particularly embarrassed about a discussion of physical merits. "I'm happy for them. They'll be great parents.

Though there was talk of combining the camps, Anakita would need to return to her own first-- then they could regroup and decide on a plan of action-- so she led the way there. She was sure the two men would be able to follow her tracks, if they were working out their differences and didn't come right away. After all, one of them was a Ranger...

Anakita wasn't quite sure how to explain to Mara about their girls, without going into excessive detail or making anyone uncomfortable with omissions. It wasn't that she was unwilling to be their mother, but she didn't want to claim a role that she hadn't earned in their eyes.

"Mara, this is Djalila, Stefan's daughter. And this is Kimi... she lives with us. You know Stefan."

Stefan looked up from the aurochs carcass he was turning on a spit over the campfire, and raised a hand in a friendly wave. "Hello again."

Both children smiled shyly at the Monk.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mara Dayne

Mara was glad to hear that Fang wouldn't be an issue. Once people who were friendly got used to her, the Spider could be very loveable, although most people thought that to be a bit too strange. Who ever thought of a lovable spider? It's not like they hadn't had to fight and kill hostile spiders all over places in Tyria. Most people found the thought of these creatures as vile and the only good spider was a dead one.

As for her embarrassment about calling Aeson, Mr. Abs, the young monk could still heat a small village. But she smiled at the compliments that Anakita had given to her guild sister and her husband. Kayla was perhaps the most motherly of the group, even when she herself was not much older than Mara. Talya and Sonja were the oldest among them, and often the cause of the young monk's red face. Anakita's comment however, seemed to ignite the fire in her cheeks.

"Aeson is a good man, Kayla often catches grief because he is a Luxon. But they don't let that keep them apart."She replied changing the subject from her recent embarrassment.

Mara smiled at the girls, greeting each one of them, although a little on the shy side herself. She had Fang stand beside her to give the girls and opportunity to check out the Moss Spider for themselves. When they seemed fairly comfortable around Fang, she greeted Stefan who was cooking their evening meal. The last time she had seen the warrior, she was about 17 and there had been great controversy on her accompanying their group on such an important mission.

“Hello Stefan, it is good to see you again.”
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Constance Terpein

She awoke a little later than she had planned. Struggling out of the yak’s long fur, Constance stretched and took a deep breath of cold air. First light was trying to push through the heavy clouds over the snow-peppered valleys – and the snow was already here. She and Brenak would have to work hard to get to the small dwarven village under Anvil Peak before the low valley became impassable. It didn’t take long to break camp, as she hadn’t really made one to begin with. As her animal ate the straw she laid out for him, she gnawed on a piece of hard bread and some dried meat – her eyes never stopped surveying the sky for sign of worsening weather.

Reattaching the thick leather leads to the wooden posts of the cart, she climbed up and gave the command to move. The yak strained and the wood creaked under her, but the cart did not shudder into motion. She groaned and pulled back on the reins to stop the animal before he broke the axles off her cart. A quick inspection revealed that the front wheels had become stuck in ice produced from the heat of the yak’s body melting the snow in his immediate vicinity. Constance removed the animal from his traces and tethered him on a stunted tree, cursing under her breath all the while. She couldn’t afford delays.

Delay was how her day was going to go, apparently. No sooner had she retrieved a hammer and chisel from the supplies in her cart did her ears detect movement in the wood-studded hill above the outcrop she had sheltered in. Brenak snorted and tossed his four horns in more than simple protest to being tethered. The telltale sound of hoof on stone confirmed her suspicion – Centaurs. Many Centaurs. She tensed and drew silent, even as she reached for her axe stashed under the seat of the cart. Why were they here? There were too many of them to be a scouting party, and she had taken this route to purposely avoid their high-traffic areas. Perhaps…they had known she’d be here?

“Traveller!” bellowed a familiar voice from somewhere in the bleary white. “You are in the territory of Ghed Clefthoof and as such, your wares belong too me and my clan.” She almost groaned. As much as Ghed was a gasbag, his clan was indeed a powerful one with more melee members than what was considered wise for most crews. This was not ‘most crews’ – and here she was, alone. As much as she hated to even think it, she might lose her father’s load. Her face lowered into a scowl and she pulled her axe into the folds of her cloak. Her shield she took in hand and strapped it on.

“Ghed, I’m no traveller. I’m a Terpein. Allow me to finish my route. We don’t want to risk any of our trade agreements, do we?” Constance played the ‘provider’ card and turned outward to get a better view of the field. Three were coming on her right, trying to circle around her for the attack – the other five were on the left and included Ghed himself. She would hate to have to gut him, in fact she was certain the load wasn’t worth it, but it was her duty to deliver these goods and Constance hated to fail her duty. She had done enough of that to last her a lifetime.

Ghed had taken his time to respond, however, his voice sounded jovial when he did speak. “A Terpein, you say? One of the daughters of Hermand the Flame Bard, I am pleased.” The sound of a sword unsheathed interrupted him. “to make your acquaintance. I think you had better come to our camp with us – to avoid the storm. You will not deny our hospitality.” Constance knew better than to think she was being offered a warm fire and a bed. There were benefits and downfalls to being from a popular family. On one hand, people may go out of their way to be kind – and on the other, you may be kidnapped and held for ransom. From the chuckles and sounds of weapons being drawn, this was definitely a situation of the latter. Tossing off her cloak, Constance readied herself for battle. She would not be taken as some bargaining chip for her father to barter with.

Finally, the Centaurs rushed down from the hill – and she was ready for them. Likely they had assumed she was one of her element wielding sisters and had hoped to take her before the spells were prepared. Constance’s axe spun through the air and took the first to arrive directly across their midsections. Yelling, she brought her weapon on an arc upwards through the shin of the first screeching Centaur and upward into a stunning blow. One at a time, she just had to take them down one at a time. Keeping her back to the cart, she bartered for her life with the edge of her axe. She had a feeling that taking her as a hostage was going to be less of a priority.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

dhannon
    Gypsy

Tallo Diauss

"I would appreciate the effort" Tallo answered to Jacobi.

"I have no doubt that Ms. Snakecharm holds no fear about the hardships that we are about to face."

"Mara is no stranger to battle either so I am sure she will be able to hold her own."

Tallo was calling upon the spirit realm to help ease his raging temper. Being torn from his family and enduring the effects of the affliction on an entire nation had hardened his heart a bit and he found it difficult to forgive stupidity when he had seen so many pointless mistakes cost so many lives.

"I am not used to working with groups and other men especially tend to make me guarded more than I usually am"

"We cannot afford to be distracted for even seconds here on these mountains"

"Anakita has children and any mother worth her salt would certainly tear her own heart out before allowing her children to be put in harms way."

Tallo's tone of voice had started to change from one of hostility to one of a more brotherly one.

"My little sister was concerned about our harsh environment already and I did not want her to be more uncomfortable than she was already."

"I only wished to convey to you, sir, that we need to be able to keep our minds on our respective and apparently mutual goals, lest we fail our kinsmen and needlessly risk losing our lives."

"I was also not in any way or form, be it nice or otherwise, asking you to accompany us on our journey, I was simply stating that I would not stop you from it."

"I will, however, not tolerate any further displays of your ignorance"

Looking at the young rangers hand, Tallo's voice returned to a less hospitable incarnation of itself

"If you are to wield such power perhaps you should refrain from the parlour tricks at all, not to mention that you indeed deeply consider never again making light of the horrible affliction that killed thousands of our brethren"

"I can sense that Ms. Snakecharm has no use for my increasingly so outdated way of thinking about men and women and Mara would surely be yet again disappointed in me treating her like a child." "Like it or no, though, they are women and we are men and if you ever do anything even remotely similar to that again you will know what it is like to actually be afflicted because you will be there in the mists with those that fell from it"

Tallo started to walk away but thought more of it as his anger was all but about to boil over. Had it not been for Mara, the young man in front of him would have far more grave concerns than wind and snow.

"And no illusion will save you from it..."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Jacobi nodded his head when Tallo said he would appreciate the effort.

He listened to him. When he mentioned not being used to working with groups, "I understand. I tend to annoy groups I've found because I tend to want to help the underdog."

When he said he was not asking him to join them, Jacobi came to a stop and motioned to his horse to halt and it did. "Oh. I don't want to push myself on anyone."

When Tallo returned to his plague head, Jacobi looked sad and down to the ground. He nodded in agreement as he spoke of Anakita's child and his sister. When he finished threatening him, Jacobi remained silent for a second.

His shoulders slumped. "I did not mean it as it came across at all. I was not making light." He sighed miserably.

"I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just wanted everyone to know what I was able to do. I... I believe in full disclosure when I think I'm joining a group. If I'd known this was the result I would have used a different illusion. I just wanted Anakita to be able to plan for what I am capable of if its needed."

"I won't do it again." Of course he wouldn't have to.

He watched as Tallo walked away. He really didn't know what to do now. He thought he had been invited. Had Anakita meant him to come? He didn't know any more. It was obvious that Tallo would be happier without him. It was beginning to feel more pleasant to head home and face the Followers of the Unseen Ones then going to the other camp.

He shook his head as he thought about what Tallo said about women. Under normal circumstances he would have informed him that he agreed his mode of thinking about women was outdated. But he already had angered him without meaning or knowing he would.

He turned to his horse, "What do you think? We join or remain alone?"

His horse nickered in his ear.

"Yeah, there's not much else out here. We probably will be cast out from the way this is starting. Not the first time."

His horse raised his head up and down in agreement. "But at least its something." His horse nickered again. And he walked a ways behind Tallo giving him plenty of space.

When he reached the other camp, he took his pack and motioned for his horse to join the other horses and it trotted over. He looked around unsure what to do.
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast