Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    Something tells me you're going to be in for a surprise. Jessir is not my typical villain

I have several villains that are unlike my previous ones
    Oh, so he rolls over after two posts instead of just one?
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Hullo, I'm considering joining one of the story threads in this forum, however, before I make any decisions I just had a few questions about the world. I had exchanged a message with Jason, but I wanted a bit more feedback from others and some more clarification. I had discussed a bit about the system of magic in BI. My interest in that subject is due to the direction i would like to take a character (yet to be created). However, I do not want to be a nuance, in the sense that I create a character who ends up being a thorn in the direction of the story and the original vision for the created world. So if you don't mind I would like to throw out the idea and see what feedback I get.

I envisioned an anthro character, who is heavily steeped in the occult. On the surface he is simply a brilliant scientist and philosopher, and while that is not necessarily a farce, it is not the whole truth. As a scientist and philosopher he seeks to understand objectively and scientifically the nature of the spiritual and metaphysical realm. He has discovered, as most do who explore the spiritual and metaphysical as he has, that there is a reflection between the physical and the metaphysical, that what science aims to do in controlling the elements is also reflected in the methodology of the occult to control the elements, the difference being mainly the conductor. The occult, through correspondence magic and sympathetic magic, which use the power of symbols, shapes, and colors to focus the mind, which in turn channels the individual's energy or emotions, uses the individual person as the conductor for the energies of the universe, where as science devises tools and instruments to measure and direct the energies of the universe. In order to gain his knowledge of the occult he has had to study in secret many esoteric traditions, often traveling far and wide.

As a side note, it is my own personal understanding from my own studies that Religion generally in truth has is roots in the occult. Its simply that the occult nature and origin lies in the esoteric teachings of that tradition and what is taught to the majority are the exoteric teachings. For example it would seem that many Christian rituals, especially in the Catholic tradition, have elements that are derived from Jewish mysticism from the group called the Essenes (kabbalah), and Egyptian magic. In my understanding this is largely due to the fact that Jesus was apart of the community of the Essenes, which is where he learned how to conduct the rituals he preforms and to do the magic he does. Also Mother Marry, was a priestess of Isis (which is why Mary is known as the virgin because Isis is known as the virgin, though is most likely also refers to her energetic purity and her ability to hold her integrity energetically). On top of that Mary Magdalene, the female counter part of Jesus, and mother of Jesus' daughter Tamar (the true holy grail), was a priestess of Isis as well. Mary Madalene's mother Mary Jacob was also a priestess of Isis. The three Marys ( a reflection of the triple goddess, virgin, mother, and crone) together gave their knowledge of Egyptian magic and aided in Jesus miracles. I realize this information may be difficult for some, but again this is my own understanding.

Now this brings up several important points (all of which is important for the character I am making, so no I'm not going off track). First the Church attempts to portray Jesus as unique, in the sense that he is the only one who can preform those miracles, which isn't necessarily true. Throughout the ages, up until modern time, there have been those who are known as shamans, wizards, and healers, who have preformed such miracles. Jesus comes from a tradition of Jewish mystics who practiced energetic and magical healing (which of course included herbs and other medicinal forms of healing). Granted, Jesus was special in the sense that few can master the art to the degree he did. Second the Church attempted to diminish the role of the women in the history of Jesus, even relegating them to the realm of prostitutes, when in truth they were powerful priestess with ancient divine knowledge. In my understanding this is largely in part due to Peter and Paul who abhorred Mary Magdalene and her teachings of the divine feminine. Third the church has hidden the origin of its rituals and the source of its knowledge, which is from the occult. This allows the officials of the Church to oversee the rituals and focus the purpose of the rituals for their own intent while those under them give energy to the ritual without knowing what they are giving energy too.

This often means as well that the wisdom of the divine feminine is only found in the esoteric teachings of the Churches tradition, and only found in the texts that have been thrown to the wayside.

Now I read that in BI the religious system reflects Christianity, so I want to know, how deeply does it reflect Christianity, because depending on your answer my character would be a very very dangerous person in the eyes of the Church.
    ...to the topTop

I would like to add, interestingly enough. Looking back in history, the origins of Science have also been denied, just like Religion, the origin of science has always been in the occult. So as any good occultist would, my character would seek to tear though the dogma of both Religion and Science, which in his understanding are simply two sides of the same coin.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This setting does assume the truth of the orthodox Christian faith. Why? Because I'm a seminary student so the settings which I have control or some control of reflect that.

The religion of this world is a mirror of the Christian faith in history. Both the light and the dark of the church in history. The church in this world is far from perfect and is a statement about the church in our world. It is not perfect. Far from it. It has used its power in the past to do wicked things like the burning of opponents... Those without proper backgrounds rose in leadership because of who they were rather then what they believed. Granted Gerius has become a good leader as the story of the character progressed. Initially he was not going to be...
    Last edited by Lairston; 08-28-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    ...to the topTop

I see i see, so then, would it be alright for me to have such a character as the one I described?

I'll admit I get the sense that on some level may have pulled at some strings for you. As a seminary you must be faced with the question of what it means to be Christan or what a true Christian is. At least your latest blog is indicative of such.

Trust me when I say I am not here to tell anyone they are wrong. Each person must find their own truth, and in their own way understand the truth of the universe.

That said i also feel I must share what I know, not impose, or claim I know the truth, but to simply say in my understanding this is what I know. In this way I hope to encourage conversation so that at least I can understand the universe better if not for the sake of all parties involved.

What i have written, though a brief overview of my own research, simply reflects my own understanding of the nature of the universe. We are all connected and there are always reflections of each other everywhere. I'm not saying Jesus wasn't powerful, no doubt he is a legend, but he is a legend which is a reflection of many great shamans and wizards, and I find it interesting that the Church would obscure these other origins to make the state Jesus reached seem unattainable, when in truth his teachings are meant to show us how to become like him. Do I believe he is the son of God, yes, but then we are all children of the divine and we all have the divine potential to reach the state Jesus did, which is what he was trying to teach us. At the same time to deny the teachings of Mary (all three of them) and to deny the teachings of the divine feminine is to block one self from achieving the divine state Jesus did, and to obscure the teachings of Jesus so that one cannot achieve the full truth of his word. Jesus taught the divine masculine, Mary the divine feminine, they go hand in hand, and without one you cannot understand the other.

At this point I feel I can safely say that in my understanding its not so much the title of Christian that matters, since it seems to me that such a title was used to accumulate the masses and to make them do the bidding of an authority, and since Jesus and Mary themselves never identified with Christian, not in the sense that the modern Christian does, I'll grant they preformed the sacred ceremony of the holy marriage to become the Christ head, together representing the divine masculine and the divine feminine respectively, but that one understands and follows the teachings of Jesus and Mary, which in short were peace, love, and harmony.

Make no mistake I write this not to infuriate, but to make it clear that this perspective will be reflected in my character's beliefs and if this is not welcome than my character would not fit in this world.

So my question still remains, what do you think of a character like this?
    Last edited by Black Moon Panther; 08-28-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    I'm going to keep this reply as simple as I can, bearing in mind that I just had a tooth pulled yesterday, so I may not be thinking 100% clearly.

How you choose to portray your character is up to you. Part of the goal of RP is to work together to tell a story. You have to ask yourself, would your character help advance the story, or just argue with the other characters in the story? The RP isn't a place for arguing, but viewpoints can be expressed from the point of view of the character and/or events that happen.

Now an anthros occultist would be an anomaly in many ways. First, being part of the occult puts him at odds with the religious and scientific communities as you mentioned. Also, as it is primarily humans that delve into the occult, it would put him at odds both with humans and with anthros. The character would then be a loner, pretty much forced to keep his own beliefs quiet as he would have no real support from anyone. How could a character like that develop the story further?

One final note, and this is based on what you have written. Are you asking what our opinion is of the character for the RP, or are you asking us personally what our opinion is? Just for the record, the RP forums are not set up for religious debate. We have Christians and non-Christians alike here, and there will be differing opinions on religious topics. In order to keep harmony, I request that we keep the debate out of RP in general. If you want to debate Christianity and Christian beliefs, the Inn of the Great Orange One, which is more a general discussion forum, is open to threads of that type.
    ...to the topTop

Oh I'm not debating. I'm just trying to get a better feel of how such a character would work. The point is that he would for the most part keep to himself. The point also being that he would secretively trying to get his ideas out to the public and expose what he understands as false regarding both the church and science.

Also my curiosity lies in the fact that if I am to do this I need to know how similar this church is to Christianity. Does it have the same figures, names, important people, beliefs ect. How does the fact that its an anthro religion affect it. Are the important individuals in both the sacred writings and also the ones who run the church a certain type of anthro, ect.

I have no doubt that I could cooperatively integrate such a character into the story to make it interesting and engaging.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Lairston is the one that has been mainly responsible for the religious side of the setting. All I said about it is that it is similar to that of Victorian Era English Christianity. I'll let him give more info on that.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    God is known as El Shaddai in this world. Its one of the many El names used in the Old Testament. In Hebrew it means God Almighty.

There is a holy scripture similar to the Old and New Testament. The message is the same. It is simply known as the Sacred Texts or the Texts in the story. There are prophets similar to those in the Bible but they would not have had the same names.

Beliefs are similar to what is found in the church. There are extremes on both ends. There are those that don't take anything seriously, and there is the legalist like Cyrus that are harsher and read strictly what is in the Texts rather then what Text is trying to say.

Similar to Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy, a Christian Fantasy, El Shaddai among opponents is known as the Dying God because he came to the world and gave himself for others.

Humans mostly follow a natural religion like the Celts did. They have multiple deities and see them everywhere.
    Last edited by Lairston; 08-31-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Seasoned Adventurer Revelator is offline Revelator's Avatar
    Hi, if there's room for another player I'd like to join in
    ...to the topTop

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637