Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re: [IC] Welbridge University

"Oh you think they will find one..." His voice was a little disappointed. "I think I'd rather hear my first science stuff from someone that isn't going to attack my faith." He was looking forward to their discussions.

He noticed the change in her demeanor immediately. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I just am nervous about this whole thing."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

The archbishop choked again, "I meant students that study religion. What benefit is there to driving them away with your hyperbole. Teach both and more bodies paying your salary." He wrinkled his nose, "Your kind is exactly why the church was against science."

He wacked his walking stick on the dean's desk. "Yes let's get this fake nonsense out of the way."

He turned and stalked out of the dean's office. He walked with a limp.
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston
    Yadian grinned, "It will be my pleasure Jessie. I'm Yadian." He looked over at his friend and then back to Jessie and whispered, "Don't tell Kenosius but I'm thinking of changing my major to science from philosophy. It would probably give him a stroke or something." He smiled, "So what type of literature are you interested in studying?"
    Jessie laughed slightly and said, "Don't worry. I won't tell him. What makes you think of changing your major?" She lapsed into silence for a few moments again as she thought about Yadian's question and then said, "Not sure exactly. Any type right now. I've always been drawn to books since I was a young kit."
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

Therese smiled again and looked back at Kenosius. "Oh no, Kenosius, you didn't upset me. My mind wandered for a moment. I'm sorry. Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the new professor. In fact, you will probably be pleasantly surprised."

At that moment, the dean and the archbishop walked onto the platform at the bottom of the auditorium. Stepping up to the podium, the old basset hound cleared his throat loudly. The chatter among the Anthros students began to die down. Therese whispered to Kenosius in response. "Looks like its starting. We best pay attention."

Dean Valitas let the silence fill the air for a moment before he finally spoke. His voice was crisp and loud, echoing through the curved walls so that all could hear. "Greetings, Anthros, young and old. I am Dean Robert Valitas, and on behalf of myself and the entire faculty, I would like to welcome you to the noble halls of Welbridge University. Each of you has been chosen to be here, first by your own desire, and secondly because someone here believed you to have the desire to improve the quality of your life. Knowledge, in all its forms, is what we have always promoted here. As you purpose to seek that knowledge, we, as your professors, counselors, and mentors, will purpose to help you seek that knowledge, and point you toward the unbiased truth. As is customary, the most noble Archbishop Gerius Lionheart will open this year off with a traditional blessing."

The dean stood to the side, looked at the archbishop and motioned for him to take the podium. While it couldn't be seen on his face or his body language, the dean couldn't wait for this ridiculous part of the commencement to be over with, so that he might return to the podium with the announcements and "properly" get the year underway.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Jessie lapsed into silence and turned toward the front of the auditorium. This was the first time that she had ever really heard the archbishop speak, so she was halfway interested to see what this blessing would entail.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Yadian replied to Jessie, "Oh some of the things we learned last year in the core classes was really interesting and I liked Professor Shanks. Even if he did have a few biases that I'd like to see him lose." He smiled, "But I really just enjoyed learning stuff I never heard before."

He nodded, "That's good. So many don't want to read so they never do."

Kenosius sighed in relief when she said she wasn't upset, "Thank goodness. I'd hate to offend you. You're my first university friend!" He smiled.

When she said he'd like the replacement, he nodded, "I hope you're right."

And then he nodded and grew silent to pay attention.

The Archbishop walked with his stick to the podium and cleared his throat. "Thank you Dean Valitas."

He looked out at the students and faculty. Then whacked the podium with his stick "Friends, I've come here and given this blessing for three decades now. Each incoming class has been filled with bright students blessed by El Shaddai with the great talents that they need for their lives. Whether you are in the arts or the sciences, El Shaddai is pleased with what you learn because all truth, all talents, and all things of this glorious creation comes from him. Remember as you study and you listen to the wise professors of this institution that truth."

He paused, "You are here because El Shaddai has chosen to bring you here. You may face great trials and tribulations during your time here but trust in El Shaddai and he will help you through it."

He raised his arms for the class, "May this incoming class be blessed and learn the truth of History, of Science, of the Arts, and of El Shaddai himself. Peace and Mercy be to each of you Amen."

He whacked the podium again and said to Dean Valitas as he walked back, "Its all yours."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

The dean walked forward to the podium once more. The blessing was nothing new. As if there really was some "all powerful" being out there directing their lives. It was utterly foolish, and the students here that did seek the unbiased truth would easily discover that. Religion was dying and will one day take its place among the other mythological beliefs studied in history classes.

"Thank you, Archbishop Lionheart," he said as he walked back to the podium. "and thank you all for being here on this very special, and monumental, year. Three hundred years ago, Lord Imperius Octavius X opened the doors of Welbridge University for the very first time. His brother, Archbishop Ambrose, was the first Archbishop to offer the blessings upon these walls, and the first of the students entering in."

"For three hundred years, the professors and other faculty members have been driven to teach its students the truth. As time wore on, our understanding of the truth has changed and become clearer, yet still it remained the truth. Twenty five years ago, our noble Lord Imperial Augustine XXII welcomed the advancements science is making with open arms. Allowing for us to study further into the mysteries of science, and come to even deeper understandings of the truth. As such, we have been able to uncover even more truths that previously were unknown to us. We have developed new technologies, and new wonders, and more are emerging every year."

"Nineteen years ago, the University experienced another dramatic culture shift. Our most noble Lord and Lady Imperial opened our doors to female Anthros of all types to come in, study and learn the truth. We have seen many young women come and go through these halls, studying everything from religion, to arts, to science. Many have excelled in those studies, yet there was always something missing. It seems only appropriate, here on our three-hundredth anniversary, that we step forward to embrace the next evolution of Welbridge University."

The dean fell silent as quiet whispers began among the other faculty members on the platform. No one knew what he was referring to, because he hadn't told anyone what his intentions were. He looked over at the Archbishop briefly and gave a slight knowing grin. The archbishop has always been one who hated the changes. He opposed opening the doors to science. He opposed opening the doors to women. Now he was certain the archbishop would oppose his next move. The dean looked back at the audience, cleared his throat and motioned for silence once more.

"Will Miss Therese Ambrosia please approach?"
    ...to the topTop

Jessie leaned forward slightly in her seat, curious as to what the dean was talking about. She, for one, was immensely glad that Welbridge had opened its doors to female Anthros since it gave her the opportunity to help better her life for herself and her brother. Robby would love this. Jessie thought with a small smile as her thoughts shifted to her younger brother. When the dean called for Therese to come to the platform, her ears perked up slightly in curiosity, wondering what the next change would be.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Kenosius gasped when he said Therese's name. "Why does he want you to go up there? What's happening?" His eyes were wide.

Yadian was also surprised. He moved to let her through.

The archbishop's eyes narrowed as he watched the dean. What was he going to do this time? He folded his arms and his stick fell from where it was leaning and caused a loud noise.

He asked the person he was sitting next to, "What is this?"

The faculty member shrugged his shoulders. They didn't have a clue what the dean was doing.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

Therese closed her eyes and took a deep breath as the dean called her name. She heard Kenosius gasp and ask her what was happening. She looked at him and smiled.

"You said you are religious. Pray for me, and pray for the university. Things are about to change."

Therese stood to her feet and excused herself as she slipped past the others in the row, making her way to the aisle. All eyes were on her, and she adjusted her dress nervously as she walked down the aisle. She tried to remain calm and composed, even though her instinct was to turn and run out of the auditorium as fast as her legs would take her. It was only about 200 feet from her seat to the platform, but it seemed like 200 miles. Once on the platform, she curtsied to the dean. The dean smiled and pulled a rolled up paper from inside of his coat.

"For nineteen years women have been allowed to study here," The dean announced for all to hear. "During those nineteen years, not one woman has ever been able to receive a diploma. Well, today, this will change. This young anthro-fox has been studying under the brilliant mind of Professor John Shanks. She has excelled in her studies in every way. It seems only fitting that she be the very first female to receive a diploma, the very first Bachelorette of Science." He handed the diploma to Therese, who took it with a courteous bow. "May you be the first of many women to receive such an honor."

Reaction among the audience was varied. The staff couldn't have been more confused and shocked. The thought of giving a diploma to a woman! It was inconceivable. Among the students, cries and whoops of excitement could be heard among many, especially the women, and some jeers could be heard from some of the male students who didn't think it was right.
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast