Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welbridge University

Welbridge University

Welbridge University was founded 300 years ago by Lord Imperius Octavius X. A deeply religious man, he desired to see his subjects have a place where they could learn more about their religion. Reading, writing, mathematics, history and religion were among the first classes at the University. The variety of courses changed over the years, but the focus remained religion for over 250 years. As time wore on, the focus on religion began to slow, while the focus on knowledge, in all its forms grew.

Anthros from all over the Imperium came to study at Welbridge. The library of the university grew as books were brought in from around the world. With the growing knowledge, soon came a thirst for science, and a push to show that religion is nothing more than a facade meant to hide the truth. This put the University squarely against the church that once supported it with open arms.

Twenty five years ago, the young Lord Imperius Augustine Lionheart XXII, on his wedding day, announced that the church would welcome science, putting an end to almost fifty years of persecution against the University. The University was glad for the edict, and the professors, scientists and students began delving even deeper into the mysteries of science.

During the entire history of the entire history of the University, it had always been an all-male school. Women were never allowed in the hallowed halls. It wasn't considered proper for a woman. Lady Imperial Emilia Lionheart, granddaughter of a former assistant Dean of the University, did not like this fact. Nineteen years ago, with the support of her husband, she opened the doors of the University to women. It was a difficult transition for the University, but one that it took in stride, as they still had tremendous freedom to do their research.

Today, the University has male and female Anthros studying all manners of subjects. There are still a lot more males than there are females (about 1 female for every 25 males), the females are welcomed to study in the University. Despite this, teaching is still done by the men. A woman may assist, but will never be able to gain the title of "Professor."

It is now the beginning of a new school year. The celebration of it's 300th Anniversary. The past twenty five years of its existence has seen a number of changes, what lays ahead for the University, its students and its faculty?
    Last edited by Jason Sanborn; 04-30-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Adding Thread Prefix
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re: [IC] Welbridge University

Kenosius Habitiochus was walking down the hall of the main building of campus. He was not looking forward to this science class. A young woman caught his eye and his eyes widened and he stared at her for a little to long and she scowled at him. His cheeks turned red, "Pardon."

He continued down the hall. His friend, Yadian was walking with him. He started laughing at him, "You know you really shouldn't stare like a wild animal hunting prey."

"I didn't."

"Yes you did."

Kenosius sighed. "Well she was pretty."

"That she was but I didn't get scowled at." He chuckled, "So ready for your science class."

"Oh don't remind me. I just want to get these nine credits over with."

Yadian snickered, "Watch you'll change your major to science."

"Wanna bet?"

"No."

"Good because science is a complete waste of time. You can never know anything."

"Oh don't start."

Kenosius sighed, "Fine. Just don't pick on me."

"Well then how am I supposed to have any fun?"

Kenosius shook his head at his friend.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

Therese sat in a chair outside the dean's office. Her heart was racing. She had never met the man before and wondered why she had been summoned to his office. Had she done something wrong? She didn't think so. Yes, she did lead some of Professor Shank's lectures the previous term, but he said it was okay. He wouldn't have misdirected her, would he? True, there were no women teachers here, but she was only an assistant. That isn't the same, is it?

Therese rang her hands nervously as she sat, her mind racing with all sorts of possibilities. Most possibilities ended with her being asked to leave the University, never to return. She wasn't ready to leave the University yet, there was so much left to learn, so much to study, so much to invent.

After a few moments that seemed an eternity to her, the door to the dean's office opened, and the dean walked out. The dean, Dean Robert Valitas, was an older anthro-dog, apparently of the basset hound family. He wore a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles at the end of his long nose, and a pipe was propped in the corner of his mouth.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Miss Ambrosia. Please come in," he said, pulling the pipe out of his mouth and motioning with his other hand.

"Yes, Sir," she replied, nervously standing to her feet and walking into the office, still unsure of what was coming.

Dean Valitas closed the door as she entered and began to walk to his desk.
    "Please, take a seat." Obediently, she sat down in a chair at his desk. As soon as she sat down, he sat behind his desk across from her.

"Thank you for coming, Miss Ambrosia. I'm sure you must be wondering why I have summoned you." Therese simply nodded, knowing the statement was rhetorical, and let him continue to speak. "It seems Professor Shanks will not be able to give any more lectures for a while."

Therese suddenly grew shocked. She hadn't heard anything from him. What had happened? Where was he? Her curiosity could not be contained, so she blurted out her own questions to the dean. "What? Why? Where is he? Why can't he teach? Is he alright? He's not hurt is he?"

She would have continued blurting out random questions if Dean Valitas hadn't raised his hand, indicating stop. "Relax, Miss Ambrosia. I am sure Professor Shanks is perfectly safe. He sent me a letter saying he was on a scientific expedition and would be gone for several months. This, of course, leaves me with a dilemma. What do I do with his class?"

Therese knew what the answer was. The class would have to be canceled. That couldn't be all, though. He could have just had a memo sent to her to tell her this. Why bring her here to tell her the news personally, when the two had never before met?

"Well, Sir, I suppose the class will have to be canceled."

The dean nodded, taking a puff from his pipe. "That would be the logical conclusion, yes. There is no one else who knows the subject as well as he does. His studies into steam power have led us to great breakthroughs here, and the loss of his class this term is a shame."

"Yes, it is a shame. He is a good instructor."

The dean chuckled slightly, a sound that almost sounded like small barks. "Yes, a very good instructor with high praise for one of his most promising pupils. You see, he wrote more in that letter than just not coming in. He wants you to take over his class."

Therese's look of shock was even greater than when the dean announced that Professor Shanks wouldn't be here this term. "Me, Sir? How could I? I'm just a student, and a woman."

The dean nodded his head. "Yes, Miss Ambrosia, I am very well aware of this. Hence my dilemma, and why I called you to my office. In my 40 year tenure at the University, I have seen much change. When I was still a professor, I saw a Lord Imperial take an interest in science. When I was an associate dean, I saw the doors of this university opened to women. Now, as dean, I stand at the forefront of another potential change that would, once more, shake the University and society to the core. The question is, is the University ready for such a change?" He opened a desk drawer and pulled out a piece of paper, sliding it across the desk for Therese. "More importantly, would you like to be the vanguard of this change?"

Therese took the piece of paper and looked at it with shock. Her mouth was completely dry. She didn't know what to say next. It was a diploma, something never given to women. More importantly, it had a title coveted by many. The title of "Professor" in front of her name. Most men didn't get the title of Professor until they were in their late 20's or early 30's, and here she was, a woman of 22 years, being given such an honor.

"Um... well... ah..." She stammered in reply, in so much of a shock, she wasn't even able to form words. The dean chuckled again.

"I was told in the letter that you knew everything he did on the subject. There was nothing more he could teach you that you couldn't learn on your own. You led his class numerous times the past term. You may not realize this, but Professor Shanks asked me to sit in on one of your lectures, your last one last term. You are very gifted. Professor Shanks believes that you will surpass him at some point, and I agree with him. You would be the perfect fox to help forge the next path for the University. It is perfect timing, too, with the celebration of our 300th Anniversary this year."

Therese's shock turned into an unspeakable joy. Tears filled her eyes, blurring her vision. She couldn't believe the honor that was being bestowed upon her. "Thank you, Sir! Thank you so much!" She answered excitedly. She could barely restrain herself from jumping over the desk and hugging the dean. The dean chuckled again.

"Good, we will make the announcement today during the term commencement and anniversary ceremonies. All I need you to do is sign this document and make it official."

Smiling, Therese picked up a fountain pen and signed her name on the bottom. "Thank you so much, Dean Valitas."

The dean pulled the paper back after she signed it. "Save some thanks for Professor Shanks when you see him again. If it weren't for him, I would not be considering this. Now, go to the Commencement Ceremony with the other students. I will make the announcement public there, call you up, and give you your diploma and pin."

As Therese stood, the dean also stood. The two shook hands, and then Therese walked quickly out of the office. She wanted to run, to scream, to dance. Maybe when she got back to her room, right now, she needed to go to the Commencement Ceremonies, as the dean had instructed. She found an open seat in the middle of the auditorium, next to a male anthro-bobcat.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Kenosius Habitiochus and Yadian walked on,

"Well at least its not right now. First you have to go to the speech."

Kenosius rolled his eyes, "I think I'd rather go to the class."

Yadian laughed hysterically. "You're a piece of work you know that."

"Yeah yeah... Full of contradictions."

Yadian nodded his head

Kenosius walked into the auditorium and sat down.

"Now if I was lucky, you know who would come sit next to me?"

"Who?"

"That girl."

"Oh yeah. She looked like she would consider that."

Kenosius frowned, "You're such a downer. Why do I hang out with you?"

"I couldn't tell ya. Maybe because I'm fun to be around." He shrugged.

"No that's definitely not it."

When the anthro-fox walked in and sat down, Kenosius hit Yadian in the ribs who groaned and gave her a smile, "Hi. I'm Kenosius."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

Therese turned her head and looked at the bobcat. She was still smiling from excitement.

"Hello, Kenosius. I'm Therese," She answered warmly.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Kenosius smiled back at her warm greeting. "Its nice to meet you, Therese!" This was encouraging. Maybe she actually liked him. He asked her, "So where are you from? I'm from outside of Partha. I came her to study history. This is my first term. Is it yours too?"
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

"No, this isn't my first term," she answered with a shy chuckle. "I'm from Relius. It is a small farming town a few miles from the city. I came here to study science. I want to show my parents that science and religion can work together. My father is a minister, and he doesn't like it."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

"Science? " he echoed in surprise and a little dismay. "I think everyone but me is taking science" Yadian chuckled when she mentioned science and Kenosius elbowed him in the ribs again.

He nodded, "Sorry, I'm sorta not looking forward to the science core. My parents don't like science either and they were concerned about me coming here. But my father's not a minister."

Regaining some of his composure, he smiled, "That seems like a tall task to show that religion and science can work together. I always thought science people hated religion."

...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Therese Ambrosia

Therese nodded. "I know, there are a lot of scientists who think that, and I would like to show them too. Especially my tutor. He taught me so much, and I'd like to return the favor."

Therese paused for a moment then smiled brightly. "Hey, maybe I can show you some things about science at some point. Show you that it isn't something to be feared, but to be welcomed. It may help me for when I need to eventually talk to my parents."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

"Yeah it puts people on their guard because of that." Then he added, "Its nice to find someone that believes in science that actually doesn't put religion down." And it was. He didn't know what to make of her. Other then she was nice and he liked her.

Kenosius nodded his head when she suggested she talk to him, "Sure I'd be willing to listen."

He heard Yadian mumble "Yeah right." under his breath and wanted to kill him.

"I think it sounds like a good thing. Maybe I'll change my mind."

He then asked, "Who is your tutor?"
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast