Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The League of Aldonadi

The League of Aldonadi

On another site, I attempted to start an idea for a thread. I went fairly well, until most of the players up and vanished. Well, since I know that this site has a fairly stable base, I'd like to try some of it here.

So, here are the premises of the world:

The present era of the world is futuristic. Robots, anti-gravity, lasers, and anything else you might find in a science fiction genre are present. However, governmental structures are much less advanced than ours, fleeting back to the feudal system. There are few kingdoms, one feudal republic, and one best described as a benevolent tyranny. The remaining "countries" are broken up as fiefdoms, tribal and clan colonies, martial law, and sometimes anarchy. Extraplanetary exploration is not yet implemented, since there are no governments united enough to attempt such feats. The world itself is fantasy, containing magic and races of classical myth (no copyrighted races, which is typically more modern fantasy).
    While the political structure is weak, there is an order more ancient than kingdoms and often more authoritative: The League of Aldonadi.
    The League of Aldonadi is an order established in times past. They are swordsmen of great renown, wielding blades of magic origins. They are considered by all but a few men to be above the laws of kings, lords, dictators, or otherwise. However, they take no interest in such affairs for two major reasons. First, they are committed almost religiously to the sword and the pursuit of its knowledge. Second, they have their own matters to attend, for the League of Aldonadi is not a uniform organization; they are not bound to right or wrong, only to the sword. Some use the sword for good, and others for evil.

History
    The league began with Aldonadi, an ancient warrior who sought the help of the elemental lords to defend his lord and the land he loved. After garnering the help of the elemental guardians, he was given the first magic sword, named Eternity's Edge, with the power to control time. With the sword in his hand, he easily defeated those who opposed him.
    Afterward, he felt that more would be needed to protect the world. He recruited twelve followers, and with the help of the elemental lords, received the twelve high swords. The first six have the power to directly control their corresponding element, and have themselves received the names of the elemental lords: Crucible, Hlynn, Seism, Foehn, Corona, and Umbra. The second six have various powers, but still related to the elements. Torchbearer, which is a sword of solid flame, Surfbreaker, with the power to break other swords and nullify their own powers, Golem's claw, which can summon golems to aid the wielder, Morning Wings, with the power to grant flight, Radiance, with its edge that can cleave anything, and lastly, Phantom's Breath, whose blade can phase to become immaterial at the holder's will.
    Beyond the first thirteen sword, though, the lords of the elements taught Aldonadi how to further his vision: he learned how to make new swords, he was taught how to use and make the impartial elders, the lifeless statues that keep the record of all Aldonadians, and he was taught certain magics to help train and protect those who would come after him. But it was Aldonadi himself who drew up the Code. The code of Aldonadi is the law of all Aldonadians, regardless of nation, creed, or style of fighting. This code was implemented from the beginning, and using the impartial elders, was made a mandate to all who would train in the League. In his wisdom, Aldonadi set no boundaries on good or evi, as human definition would change with time and would vary from ruler to ruler. Rather, the League would pursue the knowledge of the sword, seperating itself from the world and its power struggles, dedicating itself to the sword and the sword only.
    As the League grew over time, many factions grew within it, with many various styles of swordplay and belief systems. It was not long before in-fighting occurred, and new regulations were drawn and added to the code on how to handle these factional skirmishes. As a whole unit, the League accepted these new conditions and remained a unified whole.
    However, there would come a time when Aldonadi's beloved sword, Eternity's Edge, would fall into evil hands. With the power to control time itself, the League began to fall to the evil man. Some factions submitted to him, and in turn kept their lives. Those who resisted fell, and the evil man's collection of swords grew ever larger by the day.
    Soon, though, he was not content merely to rule Aldonadian, but turned his sight on the entire world. Country after country fell to his control. A last coalition of Aldonadians were made, and the last remaining holders of the twelve high swords, being now only seven in number, five having already fallen, joined for a final battle. One however, dissented. His name is long lost to time, more the pity, but it is known that his blade was Surfbreaker. He said he would not join the others in their coordinated attack. The others chided, rebuked, threatened him, but he was resolute.
    While the others made their way to the last great battle, they thought, he himself infiltrated the the castle of the evil one, the wielder of Eternity's Edge. He made his way to the throne room, where he found even there several of his Aldonadian brothers being slaughtered at the feet of that evil man.
    He came and challenged the evil man to a single dual. The evil man laughed and, confident in his superiority, accepted. But what he had not expected was this: that even Eternity's Edge was subject to Surfbreaker, and without the power to control time, his swordsmanship was poor. Thus it was that Eternity's edge was soon bound up in Surfbreaker, and with a great exertion of his energy, the wielder of Surfbreaker caused Eternity's Edge to break. It fell from the hands of the evil man, and with a swift stroke, so fell his head.
    However, being the first sword, Eternity's Edge could not be broken, and only a small sliver had been chipped from the blade. The league realized that the sword was too powerful for any man, and lest a similar occasion occur in the future, they used the sword's own power to send it to the end of time.
    The chip of the blade was made into an ornamental dagger, which itself retained a smidgen of the sword's power, as it was later found to be able to stop time for a few seconds. Still, it is never used except in times of great trouble, and is kept well protected by certain guardians.
    Thus are the important instances of Aldonadian history.

The Code
    While the code itself is very loosely defined, there are certain laws that all Aldonadians follow.
    1) Aldonadians are above most laws of countries, and as such they can do illegal things and get away with it. However, there are a few agreements that are made:
    a) They may not damage any private person or possession during a duel.
    b) They may not kill a private citizen unless they acquire permission from the ruling body or if it is necessary for self-defense.
    c) They may not make war with a country unless they are fighting for and with another country.
    Failure to abide by these agreements will generally result in disciplinary actions by Aldonadi elders.
    2) They may not attack pages (Aldonadian trainees) unless it is as a manner of training or if the page attacks them first. In the latter case, they must attempt to disarm the page, but may kill if it is deemed necessary for self-protection.
    3) Aldonadians may only kill other Aldonadians in accordance with duels or in battlefields. They must also declare their intentions before they attack.
    Banishment
    It is possible, albeit very difficult, to be banished from the League of Aldonadi itself. One must break one of the absolute code-laws, primary offenses being the intentional killing of pages or killing another Aldonadian in cold blood, though there are others. One can be banished from one's school of swordplay, which is more frequent, but can be accepted into a different faction if both parties desire it.

I do believe that covers all the background information on the world itself (I compiled it from various sources, so I may have missed something). If anyone is interested in doing a story, I can come up with a plot. But, I am a little busy, so I need to know if there is interest before I put too much effort into this.
    Last edited by Shadowseldil; 07-27-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think this sounds interesting
    ...to the topTop

I agree with Lairston, it definitely sounds interesting
    ...to the topTop

Well, if you two are interested, I can draw up a plotline. I'll need a day or so; I've been helping a friend move. Do you have any particular questions for now?
    ...to the topTop

what kind of characters would we be allowed?
    ...to the topTop

Anything, really. Aldonadian, magician, soldier, mercenary, robot; the choice is up to you. If you want to have a race other than human, look into classic mythology, or you can make something up. You can make up just about anything, just don't take anything from copyrighted sources.

As far as Aldonadian swords, you can also make up anything as far as your imagination can go. Keep in mind, though, that no two swords are alike.

Oh, and I didn't point it out, but it's worth mentioning: Aldonadians are not just men; they have women too.
    Last edited by Shadowseldil; 08-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    ...to the topTop

okay. thanks for the info
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BTW, let me know when you're ready for the forum to be created
    ...to the topTop

Plot!

It is a well known fact that the Aldonadi do not reign over people; in fact, they do not often meddle with political affairs (not that there are many of them). What most people do not know is that the code forbids them from ruling. "Should any of our league rule," Aldonadi stated, "It would lead to endless wars. At the end, there would be a single swordsman left without anyone to rule. Instead of pursuing the rule of man, let us pursue the sword. Let the affairs of lords deal with themselves. When a man is able to rule his sword, he will not need to rule other men. To seek the rule of man is folly. Seek instead the rule of your sword."
    In the sandy, desert realm of Midrok, people have lived in nomadic tribes for centuries, and not many of the "outside world" have bothered with the multiplicity of shepherding countries. They are not very rich, but they are the main suppliers of wool for the entire world. Thus, they are prosperous, but not in any manner rich. Because of their region, most people live in scattered villages around oases and do not have much contact with other villages, and certainly no manner of united government. But they are a quaint people, well-mannered, friendly to traveler and foreigner, with a good, earthy sense about them. They are people of the land, and they are content in their lazy lifestyle.
    So, it was quite a shock when news came of a village that was attacked by a small army led by an aldonadian. At the moment, it is nothing more than a rumour, as the village in question is out on the fringe of the desert, wedged between the harsh sand and vast cliffs of a range of massive mountains, and not many pass that way by chance. With no government to oversee the region, no one else is much concerned about confirming it, content that it is not their business. So at the moment, it remains nothing more than rumours.
    However, the League of Aldonadi knows that, if this is true, than there is a violation of the code, and a potentially serious one. None of the factions in the region know, or admit knowing, the identity of the aldonadian in question. Thus, a small group of aldonadians are sent to investigate the claims.
    For Foehn Jasmine Perry, this is her first mission. At age 14, she has just recently become a Squire, which means that, while she is able to take care of herself, she is not ready yet to become a full aldonadian. She is placed under the tutelage of a swordmaster (one who has advanced in training so that he may teach others) to further her training. It is a little troubling for her, for the deserts of Midrok had been her home before she was adopted into the League. While she is not quite interested in going home, she is neither happy to hear it is under attack.
    For her master, Jinn Wesserly, his mind is on the danger that awaits. If an aldonadian is claiming rule, how many will fall before there is only one left standing?
    Last edited by Shadowseldil; 08-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Oooo this sounds so exciting!!! I really wish I weren't so busy, but I find myself feeling compelled to draw up character bios (which is my favourite part, really...) Excellent job with your world and plot, Shadow! Good show! I'll be watching...
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast