Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
    Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Journey from Ascalon (GW1)

Journey from Ascalon (GW1)

Nimue Dominia

Nimue nodded curtly to the messenger. I letter with her Guild’s seal held the parchment closed. She cut through the wax seal and opened up the rolled parchment and began reading the contents inside. Nimue spent most of her time in the ruins of Old Ascalon fighting the ever increasing numbers of Charr. It was hard for her to let go of the past, perhaps more so than even Gwen.

Nimue couldn’t even work up the nerve to travel to the Eye of the North to see Gwen after the Searing. Memories were too painful and fresh to see those she knew before the Charr took everything from them. She was less than 10 years older than Gwen, a teenager herself from the lush rolling hills of Green Hills County. Her life had been there, she was born there, loved there and performed upon the stage with Althea there. Now all that was left was the burnt ashes and charred remains of a once beautiful country side. She was born, and her heart and soul had died there that day.

She rarely traveled away from home, knowing that it was likely not a very sane or healthy thing for her to do. But Nimue had vowed to make every Charr pay for the atrocities they had delivered on her people, to her family, her lover and her friends. She let out a sigh as she rolled the parchment back up and tucked it between her coat and shirt. There was trouble in Cantha, and Talya had requested her presence there to aid her fellow Guild members.

Reluctantly, she gathered her things from camp and set out toward her destination. It would take her some time to get to an outpost near the water so that she could hire a boat for her travel to Cantha. Nimue took one last look around her camp site, nestled in the ashen remains of her homestead and headed off toward the direction of Cantha. She would have preferred to remain alone here in Ascalon than to have to content with people, but she owed the Warrior, so she would fulfill her obligation.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Along the way, Clip stood along the road. He was willing to sell just about anything to anybody. And anything meaning whatever he could get his hands on. By any means necessary. Except actually paying for it. He'll gladly stab someone in the back for the colorful ring and then sell it the next person walking by for a nice profit.

He saw Nimue coming and didn't know her but that didn't stop him. He figured out she looked to be a warrior which meant this fine dagger will be something she might want to buy.

He flagged her down, "Miss! MIss! I have a great deal for you." He presented the dagger. "Wouldn't you like to own this fine dagger."

"I'm selling it because I'm in need of meal money." He coughed weakly. "Its been in the family for a while."

In fact, he just stole it from a campsite he came across that no one was in just down the road.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Nimue Dominia

Nimue was astounded to see the man standing along the road. Most had known, hell she had known she was likely mad for traveling alone so often in Ascalon these days. Charr were everywhere, let alone all the Grawl, Devourers and elementals that roamed the ashen remains of their once beautiful country side. There were only two things that would possess a man to be standing in the open, exposed like that and she was guessing it was the later. Either the man was insane, or he was one of those brigands that scavenged dead bodies and camps for items to sell and make profit off of. Next to the Charr, she hated those kinds of people who gave her countrymen a bad name.

Looking at him, she could tell that he was a brigand. She'd worked in the theater, she knew how to spot an act, especially a phony cough when she heard one. The question was, did she kill the man right now where he stood, or cripple him so that she could move off without having him track her movements. The anger she had in spades for the Charr began to boil over to this opportunistic scoundrel. She quickly removed her staff from her coat and cast a spell to knock the man to the ground. Once on the ground she hexed him and began to drain his life force. With the man subdued she walked over and placed her boot on the man's chest and pointed the end of her staff in his face. Her voice was held an aristocratic tone with an deadly edge.

"Nothing sickens me more than a scoundrel pillaging the lands of my home. I don't know whether to drain you of all of your energy and leave you here to be a sacrifice for the Charr's gods or to kill you myself. "

Nimue cast another spell, weakening the man further.

"I think I'll let fate decide your outcome. Lyssa have mercy on your soul. I would not suggest trying to follow me, because I will not hesitate to kill you if I see your face again."

Nimue ground the toe of her boot into his chest to deliver her point and left the man lying along the road side.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Clip fell over from something. He had no idea what happened. One second he was standing there offering the fine dagger the next he was falling. And it felt like he had a weight added to his chest. He gasped for breath and landed on his back. He tried to get up but felt so weak. What was happening to him? He never experienced anything like this before. He was barely able to intake air.

Her foot suddenly was on his chest. Gah he could hardly breath already. He gasped. "Please don't."

Was she doing to him. She must. Staff is pretty. He'd have to get that. It must be worth a fortune.

"Pillaging?" He croaked, "No pillaging. This is mine." he lied.

She's draining his energy. It must be the staff. Definitely worth a lot.

"I don't think you should kill me." He squeaked out. Hardly able to talk.

He gasped as she weakened him further.

"I won't follow." Yeah right. He wanted that staff. He was going to get it too.

He felt like she was ending his life as she ground her boot into his chest.

He croaked, "That hurts. Stop it."

He laid there and watched her go. He tried to get up and follow but he was too weak. He would have to catch up. After a few minutes, he got to his feet and hobbled a little bit to a tree and used it to prop himself up. He had to get to his horse he had hidden.

He frowned. "That witch. Its going to be a pleasure taking that staff."
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Nimue Dominia

If Nimue had known the fool would follow her, she would have killed him on the spot. It seems pretty heartless to do, but she no longer lived in a world where she could afford the luxury of being who she once was. The trek would be a long and arduous one without having a simpleton trying to steal the very items you had for safety and protection.

The sky was darkened during her journey, the occasional crack of unnatural lightening hitting the ground. The war with the Charr had utterly left her homeland in ruins, not even the sky shown with the beautiful blue hue that graced the heavens. Nimue adjusted her pack moving forward, watching for Charr, Grawl and anything else that would desire to strip her of her life.

Her thoughts always hidden behind the mask she never revealed to another soul. She would end her tasks quickly in Cantha, so she could return where she belonged, in Ascalon. She vowed she would die on this soil just as everyone else she loved had done. Shoving the memories that brought so much pain and heartache away, Nimue pushed onward.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Clip made it to his horse and he crawled into the saddle. The horse had gotten frightened by him and was fidgeting as he got in the saddle. He growled and slapped the horse's side. "Calm down you stupid horse."

The horse shook his head and snorted. Clip muttered, "Don't even think of bucking me off." He yanked on the reigns and the bit tore into the horse's mouth and it tamed it less more pain came its way.

Clip started down the road with the intent of getting that staff.

He ducked as lightning slammed into the ground next to him and the horse bolted. Luckily the right direction. He yanked on the reigns but the horse was scared so all he could do was hang on and scream.

charr.gif
    Meanwhile a new set of eyes were watching Nimue as she rode through the land. A charr watched her despite the lightning. He recognized her as a warrior. Tig watched her closely since she was not his target. He was a member of Ash. And he was assigned to kill the resistance leader. He just had to find the leader. He had a strange code of honor however. He would not kill unassigned targets unless they proved to be a problem. Nimue was not yet a problem.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Nimue Dominia

Nimue moved stealthily but with purpose across the land. Despite the destruction by the Charr invasion, she knew this land as well she knew every line she spoke during her performance on stage with Althea. She would need to travel quickly to make her seafaring connections to Cantha. Talya would not have sent word to her in Ascalon had it not been of grave importance.

The crack of the unnatural lightening didn't disturb her as much as it once had. Her beautiful home land lay in ash and destruction, something she was slowly numbing too. The Grawl moved across the land in droves, and each step required her to be nimble and quiet. She was no Ranger, but she knew the signs to look for to avoid Devourers. There could be nothing worse than outrunning a group of Grawl only to stumble upon the hidden nests of a Devourer, that was unless of course you were captured by the Charr themselves.

They were a merciless lot, murderous, calculating. Rarely did they take prisoners and when they did it was always for a larger purpose than to have a slave. The Charr didn't bargain, they didn't reason, they were like a plague spreading across the land, destroying everyone and everything in their path. I disease that Nimue herself wanted to wipe out from the face of the land.

Nimue had maneuvered past a group of Grawl and into an small canon protected on both sides from a wall of stone. The rock face on each side did not rise particularly high, but they would allow her some protection from spying eyes unless those eyes of course had been watching from above. She no sooner had entered a larger clearing to traverse than the lightening crashed into the ground beside her. It was then that the Mesmer hear the unnatural neighing of a beast she had never seen and the thundering hooves coming straight at her from behind.

"By the gods! Dwayna what manner of unnatural beast is this, a cross between a necrid horse with flesh and a Centaur?!"

Nimue dove out of the way of the oncoming beast, recognizing the man who rode upon it. She hit the ground losing her grip on her staff as it rolled out of her reach. The fool, that stupid fool was going to alert any enemies within range to their location. Nimue did not take a life easily, but she should have taken the one from this idiot. She scrambled quickly to reach her staff, hearing the sounds of Grawl scampering to their location. A quick spell was upon her lips and she began to cast as soon as her hand reached her staff.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Tig watched her move across the land. She looked like someone that might know the whereabouts of his target with her weapons. He smiled. He'll have to keep her in sight and follow. This should prove interesting. So he decided to shadow her.

He sighed as she moved into the stonewall and out of sight. He would have to hope she reappeared at some point where he could see her when he heard the screams of Clip. He turned alarmed.

Clip was screaming his head off as he tried to get the horse to stop. He was having a terrible time and saw Nimmue. The thought of running her over and taking the staff crossed his mind but he stopped thinking that immediately since he could barely hang on to this crazed animal. He yanked on the reigns harder and harder as she dove out of his way.

He finally managed to get the animal to stop but he sailed over horse's head and landed on his back next to the wall

"Lightning spooked my horse." He croaked.

He looked around and heard the Grawl coming.

Tig also watched from his position as the Grawl closed in. He frowned and thought what stupid creatures they were. And wondered what his people were thinking when they tried to ally with them.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Nimue Dominia

Nimue grasped her staff and was on her feet facing Clip when he began with his lame excuse. She didn't have time to ponder this "horse" thing, the magic of Necromancy spells could be dealt with later. The sound of the Grawl was closing in and there would be hardly any time to escape with one's neck still attached.

"You bloody fool! I should have killed you! You'll have every grawl, devourer and Charr down upon our heads! " Nimue hissed.

The Mesmer hit him with her staff, and turned just as grawl warriors swarmed down upon them. There was no healer, no warrior, or other protection, just the idiot with the bloody lip who looked ready to wet himself. The only thing she could do was cast a Ward Against Foes, to slow their approaching enemies, cast an elite hex of Ineptitude and Physical Resistance to protect herself against physical damage.

By that time others had closed in on their location and Nimue left Clip to deal with the Grawl. With a burst of Storm Djinn's Haste, Nimue began to outrun her foes, but not before a few other Grawl Warriors got off a few good swings of their hammers.. The contact of metal against bone shattered Nimue's shoulder. She bit her lip to keep from crying out and prayed to Lyssa that she would not pass out. She continued to cast the enchantment spell until she was far enough away not to hear the sounds of the Grawl and comfortable enough to know she was in a relatively safe area.

Seeking momentary shelter in the remains of a burnt out house, Nimue leaned against the ashen wood with her good shoulder and sunk down to her knees. Her forehead was covered with perspiration and her lungs and heart beat faster than she felt humanly possible. She cursed under her breath, it was the closest she'd come to awhile to begin captured or killed while on her own. That idiot, Nimue would not feel sorry for leaving him there to his fate.

Painfully she pulled out bandages hidden away within her coat. Tying them together she was able to make a sling for her shoulder. Nimue would have to deal with the pain until she reached an outpost with a healer. She slipped the end of the knot over her head before folding up an extra piece of cloth for her mouth. It would be dangerous to be heard now. Taking several deep breaths and one final prayer to Lyssa, she stuffed the cloth between her teeth and began the painful process of placing her arm against her chest and clumsily wrapping the bandage around her waist and arm to secure her shoulder.

The gag within her mouth muffled the Mesmer's cries of pain. Several times Nimue had to stop to keep from blacking out. Pulling and tugging on the wrapping to keep it taught was all she could do to keep from passing out. Finally, she was able to pin the cloth before leaning back against the post. With the task complete she closed her eye for a moment hoping to regain her strength and finish her journey. By the time she opened her eyes, several hours had past and the sun had reached the other end of the horizon. It would be dark soon, and Nimue again cursed at allowing herself to succumb to her injuries.

Using her staff, she planted the end in the ground and pulled herself up from her sitting position. She had a long journey ahead of her and time was of the essence. She would pick up her speed, hoping the quickened pace would not jar her injured shoulder too much. It would be quicker for the Mesmer to head east to Lion's Arch in Kryta, where she could hire a ship and crew to sail to Cantha. The walk South through the Chrystal Desert and the Desolation into Kourna would be much longer and likely more deadlier.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    "I didn't mean..."

He didn't get to finish as the staff clobbered him across the mouth and he fell backwards. He sobbed, "Don't kill me."

His eyes looked up at her and could see how she was feeling about him. But even his fear couldn't keep his eyes from falling to the staff he coveted. He looked back at her as she cast the spells, "What..."

She ran off leaving him. His eyes bulged in fear as he looked around expecting the Grawl to kill him. They didn't come at first. He heard some yelp in the weeds.

He started to follow after Nimue. He pulled out the knife he tried to sell earlier and his knees quaked. He heard a grunt and turned. The Grawl rushed him and he waved his dagger and slashed at them wildly before a hammer came down on his wrist and the dagger fell from his hand. He yelped at the pain and turned and ran as fast as he could the direction Nimue had run. The grawl not far behind and wanting his blood. His eyes were wide in fear.

His fear put distance between him and the Grawl and he saw a hole in the ground and dived into it and hoped the grawl would run by. They did.

When it became quiet he ventured out. He passed the house that Nimue was passed out in and continued the trail that he assumed she took. He was on foot now that his horse was gone. He wondered where she was. How far ahead she was or maybe the Grawl actually got her. He stopped in the trail and thought that over. If so, the Grawl had the staff...

He sat down on a rock and wondered what he should do. He wanted that staff.

Tig watched her get away from grawl and saw her enter the building. He smiled.

He scowled at the human idiot when he appeared later and continued on the trail. He shook his head, the imbecile wasn't even smart enough to check a house.
    ...to the topTop