Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mara Dayne

Mara turned to Anakita as the Ranger greeted her. It was a rare occasion to never see the monk smile and she gave a very warm and welcoming one to Anakita. With the evening practically theirs, Mara had planned on just spending her time helping the locals with healing if need be, teaching when the occasion arose and just spending time with her guild mates. Anakita's request was a pleasant surprise, one that Mara found very enticing.

"I would love to go with you and Ryder. It would be my honor to help you Anakita." The shy monk replied.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita smiled. "Thanks, Mara. I know a bit about herbs, I've lived in the woods a lot, but it's different with the... you know. I'm not sure what would be safe."

The Ranger didn't really know how to say this, but she was also pleased to have Mara's company, as well as just the Monk's professional expertise. Mara, for all her shyness, was an enjoyable person to be around. It would be nice to spend some time together. Ideally without the fate of the world hanging over their heads, for once.

The evening air was cooler than it had been during the day, but still warm enough to feel pleasant. The three women chatted as they walked, and in the process Anakita finally admitted her pregnancy to Ryder... who being female and living in close proximity had already guessed. The conversation was light and happy, but habit had taught Anakita not to be complacent. What they stumbled upon, though, was not something she expected.

Just off the path, nearly hidden in the shadows, three tall spiky figures were clustered, doing some sort of ritual. Anakita's mind reeled. Shiro'ken? What are Shiro'ken doing here? A few of those notorious minions of Shiro Tagachi still skulked in out-of-the-way corners of Cantha after their master's defeat, but... not here. Not in the idyllic calm of Shing Jea Island. There abominable creatures could occasionally be seen in the depths of Kaineng's Undercity, or in the Unwaking Waters on the Jade Sea, but not within less than a mile of one of the greatest human power centres in Cantha. What was going on?

Even as she spotted them and her mind raced, the Shiro'ken spotted them too, and began to advance toward them. Anakita was sure Ryder had never seen one before, and had no idea if Mara had, but the Ranger herself knew exactly what they were up against. Even with an equal number on their side, they were in serious danger.

She didn't bother to wait to see if the Shiro'ken would attack. They would. Anakita fired the first shot, taking aim at the Shiro'ken Warrior, who was accompanied by an Elementalist and a Ritualist. The Ranger would concentrate on the melee fighter first, trying to protect her caster allies. Meanwhile, the casters would go after the opposing magic users. It was a routine adventurers were familiar with; the only difference was they usually had melee fighters of their own as a buffer to counter the opposing melee.

It wasn't going to be an easy fight, Anakita could see that. What she didn't understand was why the Ritualist wasn't attacking along with... his? its?... comrades. It lingered behind, as though in the process of conjuring a spirit, but Anakita didn't see any spirit appear after even the most lengthy casting time. Odd.

She didn't have time to ponder, though. The Warrior occupied her full attention. She weaved, ducked, sniped, set the Warrior bleeding and then retreated. Over and over, like dancing. A Ranger could take down a Warrior, it just took time, patience, and alertness. Anakita smiled mirthlessly as she darted out of the way, again and again.
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 09-16-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mara

Mara was grateful for the small walk to the next town. Being cooped up on the boat for so long left one anxious to be out in wide open spaces where you could actually get to without being surrounded by water. Plus, anything the monk could do to help out Anakita, a friend and fellow guild sister, she was more than happy to do so. Mara loved being a monk and helping others. Despite her shy nature and Anakita’s typical non verbal nature, the three women were carrying on a conversation.

The Shiro’ken had been an utter surprise. Mara had never seen them before, but she had heard of them through Tora and Sonja. But Mara, even for a young age was a seasoned monk and her first priority was to cast protection spells on Ryder and Anakita and be prepared to heal. She would be especially vigilant with Anakita’s condition. If it became necessary she would use smiting skills, but for now Mara was more concerned on protecting those with her.

The monk had not sooner cast a spell of protection for her companions, than she was hit with a strange feeling unlike any other. It had escaped her notice that the three Shiro’ken were not attacking, she had been more concerned on protecting those with her. But the spell that the Ritualist was using had been saved specifically for someone like Mara. Whatever the Ritualist had cast, it had hit her like a bolt of chain lightening and held her there. Mara was immobile.
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita took a final shot at the Shiro'ken Warrior, and it went down. Then she focused on the enemy Elementalist. The rocks and dirt Ryder was conjuring and throwing at it had weakened it considerably, and now Azh was biting at its legs. Before long, it would be finished off too.

It was then that she saw what had happened to Mara. Cursing the Shiro'ken under her breath, she darted over, grabbed Mara under the arms, and yanked the Monk out of the way of whatever strange bolt of magical energy was holding her. Instantly, the air around Anakita crackled and sparked. She grunted as the surge of energy lifted her off her feet and threw her to the ground on her back violently, knocking the wind out of her.

Until that moment, she hadn't really thought about the baby. She hadn't been acknowledging it long enough to have that be an automatic consideration in her actions. It wasn't that she had deliberately put her pregnancy at risk tonight... she hadn't really thought about it at all. When she smacked against the dirt, suddenly she was flooded with the knowledge of exactly what she might have just done.

A second bolt of energy struck the Ranger. This one felt different. It was a sharp, stabbing pain, entering her body just below her bellybutton and flowing inward and downward like a rush of boiling oil. Anakita tried to grit her teeth and keep silent, but a ragged cry of pain erupted unbidden from her throat.

The jolt of energy didn't last long, but Anakita still felt the ache, the burning deep inside. She tried to focus, to breathe, to avoid passing out.

An instant later, the Shiro'ken Ritualist exploded from the burst of one of Ryder's earth magic incantations, and tiny bits of charcoal and ash rained lightly on Anakita. Immediately, Mara and Ryder rushed to her side, and Azh lightly nuzzled her human's hand with her nose.

Anakita tried to stand, groaned, and rolled over onto her hands and knees. Her legs felt shaky, and her abdomen still felt like a fire was burning within. "I think I'm having a miscarriage," the Ranger croaked, then her arms gave out and she fell face forward into the dirt.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aliexter looked down at the ground after Nimue dismissed him and told him to see others. He should have known better then to even consider trying to get to know these people. They don't want him here. They know he joined them mostly for self preservation more then anything that called loyalty. He sighed to himself. Maybe it would be better to just let the White Mantle accomplish their revenge.

He doubted that Kiara, Tora or Mara would be any different.

So he just wondered off alone looking at the monestary archietecure.
    ...to the topTop

Kimi

Kimi was enjoying her time in Cantha, to put it mildly. She had missed her original homeland. Not that she wanted to move back, of course; she knew that her parents were dead, and she was happy living with Anakita and Stefan. She didn't wish that someone else had become her guardians, even if they were Canthan. Sometimes choices had to be made when you couldn't have everything, and she acknowledged her new family as a good choice.

It was nice to visit, though. It was nice to be surrounded by a familiar culture, eat familiar food, and hear familiar ways of speaking. Kimi wouldn't be too sad to go back to Kryta when the trip was over, because the little house in Beetletun was home now, but she would enjoy her stay while she was here.

The three children had just finished a game of hide and seek when she noticed one of the people from their group wandering around looking sad. Kimi didn't really understand why. Surely he realized that the country where she was born was a nice place.

She skipped up to Aliexer, and put her hands on her hips. "What's wrong? Don't you like Cantha?"
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Aliexer was standing there contemplating what type of design this was. He had withdrawn into himself and was thinking of many things as he did examine the architecture. He always like it.

When Kim spoke to him, turrned at the sound of Kimi's voice and replied with a slight smile as he looked at her with her hands on her hips, "Oh my no. I think Cantha is a nice place. I just feel a little lonely at the moment." He winked at her, "But its nice to have someone come over. It makes me feel like I'm part of the group."

He smiled at her, "What do you think of the city? Were you having fun?"
    ...to the topTop

Kimi

For a moment, Kimi was confused. What city? She had been born in the middle of the bustling hive that was Kaineng City, and had lived eight years never seeing beyond its sprawling limits. To her, the monastery grounds were a small town at most. For that matter, Lion's Arch was small compared to Kaineng. Eventually, recognition dawned on her.

"I like it. It's sort of like where I was born, because there are people with hair and eyes like mine, and the food is the same, and they have the same customs. But it's different, too. There aren't as many people, and the air is so clean. I'm glad Anakita and Stefan brought me."

She didn't call them her mother and father. Not yet. Her parents were too recently dead. But sometimes, she thought of Anakita and Stefan that way. That was why she had made Anakita the necklace with the clay bead that said 'mother.' Kimi was glad that Anakita hadn't made it into a huge emotional scene, because that would have been embarrassing. But... she was also glad that Anakita had been wearing it ever since she gave it to her. It made her feel loved every time she saw the necklace around her guardian's neck.

"I used to live in Cantha," Kimi explained. "Till my parents died. Why'd you decide to come here?"
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Aliexer nodded, "That's nice it reminds you of where you were born." He smiled.

"It is nice here because of the fresh air." He winked at her. "And I like the food."

He thought it was better food then he was used to. He always found the cooking to be rather bland where he grew up. But he didn't want to relive that so he didn't say anything and tried to keep from thinking about his hometown. Who knew if it still existed. The White Mantle could have destroyed it by now. He swallowed.

When she asked why he came here, he looked down, "I came because I... I didn't know anyone else. And so I came with those that I knew."

He sighed and looked down. "So since they were coming here, I did."

"I'm sorry your parents died." he added softly.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Constance and Sabrine

The sisters had been roomed together, something they were both getting used to. It had been years since they shared a room – or this much time together – and both of them were questioning if this was a good thing. The peaceful ambiance of the monastery was shattered by feminine voices at high decibels.

“Why do you keep doing this? Do this. Do that. Go over there. Come here. Just leave me alone!
    “Sabrine, I’m just trying to…”
    “I know ‘help me become a better warrior’. Well screw you. There is more than one way to be a great warrior – and I’m willing to bet your way isn’t the best!”
    “Why do you have to be so difficult?!”
    “Why can’t you mind your own business?”
    “Because you’re so irresponsible if I took my eye off you for a second, you’d likely sink the island!”
    “Oh, that’s mature. Bringing in the ‘irresponsible little sister’ argument.”
    “It’s fine when it’s valid – which it is.”
    “Is that so? Give me one good example.”
    “Okay, fine. Here’s one. You left your bag on the boat. You’re lucky I grabbed it.”
    “You’re not my mother, Constance. Leave me alone.”
    “Well, I wouldn’t feel like I had to if you’d…augh you’re not listening!”

At this point, Sabrine was stomping down the hallway in a huff. Constance was trailing behind her, pointing in the air as though that – if nothing else - would make her sister turn around. They marched through corridors, past arenas, through gardens, leaving a wake of discord. Finally, the younger girl whirled around and stuck her finger in the elder’s face.

“You know what? I’m going to prove to you that I can take care of myself. I challenge you to a fight! A real fight. With our weapons. In the arena. If you win, I’ll do whatever you say for the rest of the trip and if I win, you have to treat me like an adult. Agreed?”

Constance was brought up short. Her little sister wanted to battle her? Certainly the two had sparred their fair share – but always with fists and words – could she really hack at her own sister with her axe? Truthfully, if there were any place for something like this to happen, this was the best one. The school was set up for working on skills and had plenty of monks on board to oversee competitions. If they were going to have it out – now was the time.

“Whatever I say?” Constance smirked, eyebrows risen in disbelief.
    “You’ll be my personal trainer. I won’t so much as eat a peanut without your say-so.”
    “Then I accept. Meet you at the western arena in an hour?”
    “Until then, dearest sister.” Sabrine made a semi-bow, more in mockery than anything else, and turned to retrieve her staff from their room.

Constance remained in the garden, meditating and preparing her body. She had seen Sabrine fight during the war in Kryta and knew that she was quite talented with water magic. Freezing in place, being sliced to pieces by ice shards, having her feet swept out from under her – there were all things Constance could expect from a battle with a water elementalist. Preparing some counter spells would take care of that, but how does one prepare to do battle with a sibling? The same way one always does – believing that you are right, they are wrong, and the only way to get that through their thick skull is with a little help from an axe.

The combatants met at the prescribed time, each taking an end of the ovate arena. While Sabrine looked frail, her lithe form coupled with the rather scant clothing of her profession, Constance knew better. Her sister would spare no quarter and was as tough as nails even without her staff. Sabrine only saw the glint of her sister’s armour in the fading sun, and figured that would be all she saw. A crackle of energy snaked up her staff, ending in a flash at the crystal on the end. With the cocktail of spells she had prepared, Constance would be begging for mercy before she got so much as halfway across the arena.

The fight was called, a countdown ensued, each woman tightening her grip on her weapon of choice and whispering spells of preparation and defence. The flag dropped and Constance blasted forward with Soldier’s Speed until her progress was all but halted by a Deep Freeze hex. An Ice Spear glanced off the warrior’s shield, but she kept her footing while she kept walking forward. Ice Spikes and Shard Storm soon followed, but Constance kept moving. She was getting too close for Sabrine’s comfort, causing the girl to cast Blurred Vision before repeating Ice Spear. This one hit, but Constance’s Defy Pain was working overtime.

In a surprise move, Constance removed the hexes on her with a single raise of her arm. Her arm fell in a smooth strike, effectively hamstringing the young elementalist who had put too much faith in her vision blurring hexes. Skill-less blows did enough damage, but Constance wanted to be sure Sabrine felt her axe full force. Executioners Blow sent the younger girl to the ground, but she skittered out of reach with another speed slowing spell. Constance was starting to feel the effects of all the cold damage she was taking, but methodically followed the dancing girl.

Sabrine would have been giggling, if she wasn’t suffering from multiple conditions. She was going to win this fight, she just knew it. The warrior’s hex removals couldn’t keep up with her casting. Or at least, so she thought. What Sabrine hadn’t factored in was that Constance’s axe skills were primarily adrenaline-based, leaving her with plenty of energy while the elementalist’s constant casting kept hers low.

The warrior dashed forward again, using the same two attacks, causing a high amount of damage. All it would take to end the match was one more blow. One more blow to cripple the elementalist so badly that she’d need to be healed. Constance raised her axe to deliver that blow…and paused. Her sister’s bloodied face rose in her vision…and she…just couldn’t…

Constance awoke laying flat on her back in the sand. She was dazed, but she remembered how she got there. She couldn’t make the final strike…but Sabrine could. An ice spear at that range couldn’t be deflected. She had lost. Getting to her feet, she coldly shook her laughing sister’s hand before turning on her heel and leaving the arena.

Constance knew she’d never hear the end of it.
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 09-23-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast