Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Emit and Pasce

Emit arched an eyebrow at the young girl.

"You're an inventor?" he queried with interest. "Fascinating."

He genuinely meant it.

"Hopefully your hopper leaves a small magikal trail, if any. Machinery tends to leave less magikal output than we do, even when fueled by it."

Emit carefully held Pasce as they ascended to the roof. He was even more careful when they were exposed on the rooftops. All of Rekōdo City spread out before them and above them. Things flew overhead that, in any other world, might cause panic or alarm. Cars, carriages, animals with wings, balloon baskets, locomotives and steam boats. Lights hung from what seemed like large planets placed purposely in the sky. Long, tall stairwells lead up to floating restaurants and the sky was illuminated with brightness form the city below it. In the far, far distance, the dome of the Central Library and the Grand Palace stood out at the heart of the city's very life source. Not even the city seemed to know that its heart had stopped beating.

Emit looked down at the Princess in his arms. He hoped she was right in having him come here. He hoped these two would figure out how to help them.
    Last edited by SilntAngl5; 07-13-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    *The Golden Goddess|The Goddess of All Motherless Secundae*
    *Dexter to the Core|Council of Guidance|Matriarch of Poetry*
    -Official #2 fan of Greg Land|#1 fan of Reesha Teramu & Nevole|#3 fan of Gareth|#4 fan of Arwyn
    1656OF56**Beeber Heads Unite!**4270

\"You know me: everything detailed and long, blah blah blah.\" (Brath OOC)

Nalia

Nalia had watched Kali grow un Darmon's tutelage. She had watched her powers develop- apparently even off worlders have innate magikal-born abilities- for better and for worse, she watched Kali grow. She kept in touch with Alain and Mindoka to find out about the other girl. They both progressed, they both thrived, but they both were terribly lonely and self-isolated. Nalia trained Kali in controlling her darkness, tapping into it without endangering herself and the world around her. Together, they used their abilities to uncover the mysteries of the artifacts Nalia had found. Despite herself and her own isolation on Capios, Nalia had grown fond of Kali and of the time that was hers to spend with the girl.

Nalia was sitting down in a high-backed chair in front of what appeared to be different colored plaques all carved out of different colored stones. They were configured in a circle before her, had a crude carving of a person and a rune on them, and each were about three inches long. There were ten total, but several of them were cracked in half. Nalia had notes written on parchment by each, but there were several that alluded her. But she was not intent on studying them right now.

Her dark curls hung by her face, suspended from blocking her face only by the silver chain entwined in them that held an emerald stone on her forehead. Her cloak, dark green for the colors of the Enchantress Guild, spilled over the chair like tides of earth silhouetted in black shadows. She sat bent slightly over with a hand to her forehead until the wave of illness passed. Like Kali, she had had a dream last night that was not of their own world, but of the Dream world. Nalia was not adept at walking there by choice. Hers was often against her own will and she often woke in her dreams to a world of Nightmares. It was the same darkness that had tortured and blighted her family so many years ago. She had tried to forget that darkness, to never touch it again, but last night... It had been the first night in a very long time and the feeling afterword left her very nauseous and quite ill. Already she had canceled some of her appointments and meetings today. She had been sick all morning.

Her dreams, though, were quite similar to a portion of Kali's. She had dreamed of a tall, fair-haired man carrying a girl in his arms. They were running away while hordes of... things, twisted and evil things chased them. All around her, Rekōdo City burned. Capios burned. Her world burned. And she had awoken suddenly, coughing, smoke vaporing from her mouth and nose as if she had been in the fires of war that consumed Rekōdo. Nalia had put a hand to her forehead and covered her eyes, just as she did now, to blight the light from her eyes and calm herself. She was trembling and sweating.

It had passed and though even now the nausea came. And it as with her arm supporting the head in her hand that Kali found her. She sat up properly when Kali came in. Nalia inhaled sharply and stood, sensing the darkness and the anger. She stared calmly into the fiery, red eyes with her own, cool emerald ones.

"Kali-"

And then the accusations came and the anger.

Ah. The other girl. Nalia held up a hand calmly to temper her.

"What use is your darkness to me, child, when I have my own? I don't need any more of it, you know that, and I don't use those I tutor, just Darmon and the other Council members because that is the game I must play. I have tried to shield you from that as much as possible."

But she could not completely shield her from Darmon's presence. She had agreed not to and she was bound by that.

She felt sick. It was not a good time for her to deal with Kali's anger, but she had to. Nalia put a hand on the table to support herself. She felt her own darkness waiting on the fringes of her mind. Watching, jittering as if it were alive.

"The other girl is fine. She is safe, but I cannot take you to her yet. But I promise you she is well cared-for."

Some of the totems, still uncategorized hummed in response to Kali's anger. The room smelled and tasted of magik.

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kali

Anger bore through her soul like a red hot coal, seeking the most exposed parts. It did not help that Kali was attune to the darkness within Nalia, it only fueled her own. Like meeting like so to speak. It was true what Nalia said, she had been more of a tutor and guide than Darmon. Darmon pushed her to her limits, using her, making her test her strength and abilities. It was like he didn't want a pupil but a puppet. But Kali had not taken his difficult teaching without giving Darmon headaches of his own. She tested him as much as he had her.

But Nalia hadn't, not in the sense that Kali had ever felt used. She had been lonely and because her gifts extended to those that some of the other guilds specialized in, she felt even more isolated. She was unlike the others and even though there had been special moments with Nalia, she always felt that the older woman kept a cool demeanor keeping her at arms length and never letting her feel as if they could be more.

That was where her anger had come from, it had been building for sometime and had she not remembered Branwen it may have cooled over time. At the moment, she felt even more so the pawn than she had before. Even as Kali's anger burned brighter than the sun, there was something off in the background that her anger pushed aside. Something about this situation, about Nalia that should have cooled her anger. But Kali's own pain and anger, her desire to feel that she fit in, that she was more than just what she had been the last two years slowly made that control slip.

The darkness within her often manifested in different ways and because Kali often did not like the feel of shifting she worked on keeping it under control. Today, it hurt too much to remain in control and that emotional anguish was soon to become her own physical pain. Her body shifted, and a shot of pain ripped through her back as a set of leathery wings pushed through flesh and clothing. Droplets of blood trickled down her back and from her head as horns pushed through her flesh. The pain alone was always enough to anger her, an anger she did not need with the emotional state she was currently in.

They knew! All of them knew and they didn't tell her. Why? What was the purpose of keeping her from being with someone who she felt actually cared, at least someone who did not keep a cool demeanor or hold her at arms length. Now at nearly the pinnacle of her anger, the room was fully charged with it's electricity. It should have been Kali's second warning as the totems on the table began to quake the closer she moved toward Nalia.

"I will find her myself then, without your help!"

Kali replied with anger as she stepped closer to Nalia. Within a few feet of her, the entire table began to quake with energy and the totem of light began to glow. Kali never saw the flash of light that knocked her against the wall, only that for several moments she could not move and the anger seemed to be drawn from her like a poison from a wound.

The shift reversed and she was once again just Kali, and her those things she should have noticed before became more apparent. Her brow furrowed with her shame, she could not look at Nalia. But there was something in the air, something that Kali detected. Like the smell of a fresh floral bouquet it drew her attention to Nalia, the source of the scent. Slowly her eyes looked up toward Nalia, the sudden realization of what she'd almost done in light of what she'd just learned.

"Nalia?!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know."
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free

Nalia

She had seen the wings and the horns. Nalia had seen Kali at her worst and at her best. There was nothing terribly new about her anger, and what she changed into when it was out of her control. This time, though, things were different. A day earlier Nalia and the other High Council Members had their powers taken from them. Nalia was lucky, in that she did not have an ancestral spirit to give her the bulk of her power. Perhaps someday, with mercy, she would be given such an honor to tutor those she left behind her in the Enchantress Guild. But, just the same, power had been taken from her and it was not coming back, not fast, if at all. Not until they found the Princess of Rekōdo and obtained them back.

Through whatever means necessary. Nalia was frightened by those possibilities.

Kali very well could have found Branwen on her own. In fact, that was what Nalia was waiting for her to discover: That she had the ability to look beyond her lost memories and see what she had gone without. Where would the self efficacy be for Kali if Nalia gave her the answers? Darmon had his own reasons for keeping Branwen from Kali and it was none of the other Councilmembers' place to do so. It was up to Kali and Nalia would not stop her, not even if she had the power to. It would be too dangerous, but she would trail her and not let the girl into danger.

Or start a political war.

Her anger built and the humming grew louder. The table that held the small carved shields of various colored stone vibrated heavily under Nalia's touch. She glanced at the shields as Kali drew forward.

"Kali wait-"

And light burst in the room, shoving Kali away from Nalia. Nalia crossed her arms before her to shield herself, but the Totems offered her no ill-effects. They were shields, defensive Totems. Until now, a time when she was in actual, un-staged danger, Nalia had been unable to test their abilities. The shield of polished, white stone was of the element light. When in danger, if one were near it or wearing it, it would protect them if the need was great enough, if enough harm was meant or anger present. Why the Light shield reacted before the others, Nalia did not know. The dark one was chipped and lay dormant like its other eight siblings. Nalia breathed heavily and reached out to steady herself on the table again. Her hand trembled and she gripped it hard.

It was over. It was over. Nalia nodded quietly as Kali apologized.

"At least now I know without a doubt that these are elemental defensive shields. Thank you for that."

Slowly, almost painfully, Nalia reached out for her chair and sat herself down. The room was shielded, protected. Any room on Capios that she entered triggered a warding charm so that no one could eavesdrop on her conversations or work, from near or afar. Whether or not those spells held up when one was cut off from their magik, Nalia could only speculate.

"And, please... no one else needs to know of it. I've gone great lengths to keep it a secret. No one else knows, Kali, and it will stay that way."

her tone, at the end, was harsher than she meant it to sound. Nalia rubbed her templed with her hand, in part to keep Kali from seeing how unsettled she was. Totems aside, she was terribly vulnerable. Very little magik. No protection. Kali could have killed her. She could have killed her precious little secret that, until now, she had been successful at hiding.

Even devoid of magik, she was good at hiding things. Nalia took a chance and glanced up at Kali from her seat. She breathed heavily in an attempt to calm herself and the bile of illness she felt creeping up her throat.

"I know you have questions. Now that your anger is in check, you may ask and I will answer truthfully. What do you want to know?"

And Kali, keen on sensing things in others, might also detect a lac of something in Nalia. A lack of smell, a lack of magikal power. Magik always gave off a scent specific to the spell and to the user casting it. Nalia would have only the terribly faded scent of magik she performed two days ago. It would be as if someone severed her bond to the magik of Rekōdo in the same way one cuts a string from their clothes. Again, Nalia said nothing of it. Kali would figure it out on her own.

Blog Entries

Kali

Kali remained against the wall, although she took a more comfortable seat as her back rested against the marble column, she did not move. She watched Nalia, studied her silently as she often did most everything. She waited until Nalia looked right at her, her teacher's words, lingered in the air for several moments before Kali even responded. And even then, it wasn't a question regarding Branwen, or her current subdued anger.

"Does that include the fact you don't have any magik?"

She kept silent about the Nalia's other more personal secret, because it still shamed her greatly that she had nearly attacked Nalia out of anger before she realized the truth. She leaned her head back against the column, and took in the smell of the lake. Many things went through her mind, the secrets the other kept that she was aware of, the implications of Nalia's problems, and foremost her own suspicions on her abilities.

Darmon treated her as a foolish child, Nalia never had, and she wondered not for the first time if her teacher was not aware of Kali's own suspicions about herself. Because Kali didn't believe that her talents were magikal, she felt it was something else but she wasn't the only one she had suspicions on about this.

Her gaze fell once again on Nalia, she had been the closest thing to a friend that she'd had in the last two years. As friendly as one could get as a teacher to her student, and who had as many barriers as Kali. Their relationship had not been the easiest.

"Can I see Branwen?" Kali finally asked.

"And if so how soon?"

"What are you going to do about your...secret. You won't be able to keep either hidden for long."

The look on Nalia's face prompted a final response from Kali.

"I don't care about the rest...I don't want to deal with it right now. Can we just focus on what I've already asked?"

Nalia wasn't wrong in the silent look she gave Kali that questioned if that was all she wanted to ask. The young girl had lots more questions, but for now, the current issues were more pressing.

Nalia

And she did. Quite easily. Nalia closed her eyes, impressed but still reeling from all that happened and was unable to say it. She nodded her consent to answering her questions.

"Yes, Kali. My magik is gone and it is a large reason of why I cannot take you to Branwen. For me, it would be too dangerous. If Rekōdo were to find out our powers were stolen, it would plunge everything into war. You were not here for the first Great War..."

Nalia was. She lost so much in that war. And it was that fear of all she lost, of losing the things and people she held dear again that kept her from letting Kali in.

"... No one can know of this either. It is a matter of peace for Rekōdo. No matter how angry you get, this secret must be kept to keep Rekōdo safe."

She took a deep breath in, never breaking eye contact with Kali.

"I am trusting you with all of this."

Something she never said to Kali before. A heavy weight of seriousness on their conversation. She closed her eyes again and made to sit up straighter. Nalia usually sat painfully erect in her chair, very proper and classy for a woman of Astral origins. Theirs was a more... relaxed style in more ways than how one sat. Her opened backed dress, beneath her Maginus-style cloak was all that reflected that at a glance.

"I will need to contact Mindoka before we can go, but yes, you can see Branwen. I will need to confer with all the Council on this, but I will advocate your desires. It will be difficult without magik and the Council may refuse your request. Travel will arouse suspicion. I do not think I should travel a long distance without it."

Subconsciously, Nalia touched her too-thin stomach. Her secret. For the first time, Nalia looked away. She removed her hand, so she wouldn't get into the habit of being whimsically fond. That alone spoke volumes about what was going on.

"I don't know what I will do, but I will do what I must."

Already she was making plans to hide deep on Capios in the forests, or on one of the other islands nearby until her time came. Nalia looked back up at Kali.

"You did not ask this, but it ties in to how soon you can see the other girl in Shamaa. At her coronation, the Princess of Rekōdo took the powers of the Council members. All the knowledge and power they gained form their ancestral spirit is gone and we don't know of a way to get our power back. The Princess, it seems, has gone into hiding along with Rekōdo's High Chronicler of Magiks, Emit Shornoc. She is the key to getting our magik back. If we find the Princess, we can see about a peaceable way of getting them returned."

The way she worded it made it sound as if Nalia was unsure she took it forcefully, or if it was forced upon her. She felt the 5th oath tugging at her, biding her to protect the Princess as she had not been found guilty of her crimes. But it felt more than that... Surely magik that was meant to bind for good would not do so if she had truly committed such a great evil? She also did not mention or accuse the Princess of breaking any of the Magikal Laws.

"I have no desire to force or coerce you into the Council's problems, Kali, but by finding the Princess, it will assure you a quicker and safer chance to see Branwen."

She stood then and went to the table. She began to pick up the shield Totems and place them gently in the clear, protective box they'd been housed in during their cataloging. She lifted the heavy box herself and put it on a nearby shelf marked for Totems who were appropriately tested and catalogued.

"I have concerns about other COuncil members finding her first. I do not think they will be as merciful about getting their magik back."

Blog Entries

Kali

Their laws, as Kali thought of it, were something she was made to learn after they taught her to read. She had her own opinions of these laws but never spoke them outright, at least not until today. She had to study about their history as well; it had been a very busy two years for the young girl. But from what Nalia was telling her, it made Kali angry that she would even need permission to see Branwen. If she had too, she’ll go herself, and damn everyone else.

Nalia would see the anger in her eyes, the reflection that she was in deep thought weighing every word that she told her. But Kali kept her seat and did not move a muscle; she sat unmoving as if she were part of the column itself. It was difficult not to spew venom when she spoke.

“Fine!”

“I’ll do this for you Nalia and Branwen, but I don’t give a flame about the Council or its problems.”

Kali’s words weren’t meant to be directed at Nalia herself as Kali vented her anger about the situation. The older woman hadn’t said as much, but Kali knew she disliked most if not all that the Council did too. But with Nalia keeping her at arms distance, Kali felt disconnected and lonely. With Branwen, she would at least know where she stood in the eyes of the other girl.

There was curiosity however in Nalia’s statement about the Princess and Emit Shornoc. She brought up her dream, describing the two she had seen. After conformation from Nalia that they were the same, Kali wondered why she’d even dreamt of them, she’d never met them.

“So what do we do now?”

Quote Originally Posted by SilntAngl5 View Post
    Emit and Pasce

Emit arched an eyebrow at the young girl.

"You're an inventor?" he queried with interest. "Fascinating."

He genuinely meant it.

"Hopefully your hopper leaves a small magikal trail, if any. Machinery tends to leave less magikal output than we do, even when fueled by it."

Emit carefully held Pasce as they ascended to the roof. He was even more careful when they were exposed on the rooftops. All of Rekōdo City spread out before them and above them. Things flew overhead that, in any other world, might cause panic or alarm. Cars, carriages, animals with wings, balloon baskets, locomotives and steam boats. Lights hung from what seemed like large planets placed purposely in the sky. Long, tall stairwells lead up to floating restaurants and the sky was illuminated with brightness form the city below it. In the far, far distance, the dome of the Central Library and the Grand Palace stood out at the heart of the city's very life source. Not even the city seemed to know that its heart had stopped beating.

Emit looked down at the Princess in his arms. He hoped she was right in having him come here. He hoped these two would figure out how to help them.
    As they ascended to the roof, Felicity double-checked the hopper pack. There was no reason it should not work with more than one person, other than the added mass, and the general principle of where to fit the others. The spells nearly cancelled the effects of gravity, although that was nearly impossible to do on a small scale with just machinery. On a large scale, enough machines could power the spells to cancel gravity, and then it did not really matter about how much mass you had. But on a smaller scale, there simply was not enough power to make them fly. They needed an actual magician to make them work. But, if her idea would work, she could change all that.
    On the roof, she mentally mapped out the roof top paths, which way to take, where to land. She planned a shorter route, in case the hopper pack did have a few hang ups with more people. As her hopper pack began to unfold, she gave instructions. "Uh, you should probably place her across the arms, here," she said as the arm supports locked into place, "And maybe you should hang onto the back. Just don't stand on the feet there, or it might break your legs."

Emit and Pasce

Emit watched Felicity work with a keen eye. This was her element and as she checked her machinery, he stood out of her way and observed. When instructed, he placed the Princess across the arm supports. The girl did not sound very certain of where they should stand.

"Are you sure this is safe for her?" he asked, indicating the Princess, who seemed to have no restraints to hold her to the hopper. Emit took his position at the rear and held on.

"It is an ignorant question, I understand, but I am unfamiliar with technologies like this. I am more at home with magikal travel."

Nalia

Nalia exhaled softly and bowed her head. She was not sure how Kali would take the complicated matter of seeing Branwen again. She had feared her anger would get the best of her and that there would be terrible consequences. but Nalia was sympathetic to Kali's anger.

"I know" she said gently and quietly in a voice that was almost soothing. "I do not care for them either. Their problems they bring upon themselves and the rest of Rekōdo suffers for it."

Nalia then listened to Kali's retelling of her dream. Her mind analyzed and connected to her own Nightmare. She was unsure what the dreams meant, but she knew there was a darkness brewing on the horizon. She could hear the darkness in her mind, jittering as if waiting in anticipation. She shut the sound out and focused on Nalia. The girl had asked her a question...

"We must find the Princess" she repeated tiredly.

Hide. She wanted to hide from the Council and the people of Rekōdo. Swim out to one of the more remote islands of Magnius, or better yet- Taroc, and disappear. To hide until her secret was gone and then she could return... Could she return from something like that? She'd have to fabricate a very elaborate lie... and if she had no powers, if their magik never returned from the Princess...

Nalia inhaled and rubbed her temple.

"Darmon will have had his Seconds leave magikal eavesdrop spells behind them as they go around Rekōdo City. They'll be tracing the leftover conversations they hear to see if there are any viable leads to finding the Princess and the High Chronicler. That is what all the Council would do, if they were smart. We need to know what Darmon knows. If the Princess is out there, he will find a way to her."

Inwardly, Nalia's stomach twisted. Darmon could not get to the Princess first. Kali would see Nalia's face pale.

"Forgive me, Kali" she apologized, putting a hand to her ill-at-ease stomach. "That is all I can think of right now. I am not feeling my greatest."

What would she do without magik? How on Rekōdo could she possibly see this through?

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast