Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds Apart

Worlds Apart

Worlds Apart

This is the OOC forum for my up-and-coming roleplay Worlds Apart. It will follow the escapades of a group of adventurers gathered by the robot proxy of now-deceased genius Arland Strange for the 1939 New York World's Fair, in a year-long exhibition through another world much like our own!

In short, it's like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets A Link to the Past. It's a nostalgic look back into a simpler, more innocent past, but it's not steampunk. It's one step beyond steampunk, into the world of art deco, cheesy Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers sci-fi serials, zeppelins, dogfighting and punching out Nazis with your fists.

I'll start on the IC thread tomorrow. If you've got any questions about the pulp genre, this roleplay or whatever else that's troubling you, go ahead and ask here or send a PM. I'll explain as best I can either way. :]

Also, big thanks to Meteoro and Lairston.
    ...to the topTop

Meteoro reporting for duty.

I'm still thinking about what character I will play with. I guess I will wait for you to get things started to figure it out.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Kind of like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ... you know, if Gwenyth Paltrow had decided to act...?

Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

If it helps, Meteoro, any character should really fit in this RP. From baddie-blasting detectives like John Shaft or Dick Tracy to good old American cowboy types like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, and from rugged adventurers like Indiana Jones to costumed heroes like Batman, The Spirit or the Green Hornet to strongmen like Luke Cage or Sin City's Marv, I really can't think of a character that WOULDN'T fit in! Let your imagination run free and don't be afraid to make a character larger-than-life.

God, I hated Paltrow in that movie. Jolie was definitely more likable and more interesting than either of the main characters. ]:< But other than Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow, it's a lot like Sky Captain, actually.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Tell me about it. It was like she thought the movie was stupid - so it came through in her character. If she'd just been gung-ho about it, it would have fit the "campy" style and it would have been awesome! As it stood, Jolie out-acted her in simply standing there with a raised eyebrow saying, "What....is that." Talk about an out-shining moment! Ha!

Shoot, I love this stuff.
    ...to the topTop

I'm liking the sound of this. I think I'll go with a masked vigilante, maybe a mix of the Spirit and Batman and the Golden Age Green Lantern. Maybe a bit alien, or Martian Manhunter, I don't know, lol. I think by tomorrow I may have come up with something.
    ...to the topTop

Laurence Oliver did a good job as usual, though.

Sounds good, Meteoro. I'm looking forward to it!
    ...to the topTop

Whoa that was quick, the forum is already here, yay! So I was reading the link you posted the other day and it did help a lot but I'm still thinking about the character and I think I'll follow Meteoro with that waiting-to-see idea. One quick question though, if I get it right from you post there is also room for the more antihero-type of character which is a bit more noir and a little less idealized, right? I mean, they can be larger-than-life too to fit the pulp setting but a bit rough around the edges.
    ...to the topTop

Anti-heroes are definitely allowed, Banshee. Just don't overdo it! You can have that loose-cannon Dirty Harry type or whatever, or even a mercenary type taking jobs for money, so long as your chosen anti-hero has at least something of a code of honor, hopeful aspirations (as demonstrated in this quote from the movie Se7en: "Ernest Hemingway said that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part.") or something that proves he still at least somewhat fits the "hero" part other than just being one of the protagonists.

Speaking of characters, if anybody wants to play a villain, they can feel free to.
    ...to the topTop

Ok I think I got it, I was only asking because I got the idea that pulp was all about very clear lines between good and evil, the heroes were always the smartest with no moral conflicts etc, but it's great if we're going to include that "gray zone" too. I was thinking that maybe my character is going to be from the other side, maybe meeting with the group after they leave their world.
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast