Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    Ozmite: The beginning

Ozmite: The beginning

Ozmite.jpg
    Ozmite is an elven city located at the base of the North East mountains. The city hasn't directly been effected by the war but the economy is suffering greatly. Ozmite is a mining based city and several mines were destroyed in skirmishs near the city. Fighting in the area has ceased but the mines have not been re-built. Taverns and bars have become popular hang outs for many hopeless citizens and overall the city is semi-dangerous at night. There is still a fairly decent amount of outside trade coming into the city but nothing to boost the cities economic decline.

Despite Ozmite's economic declline there remains an area of upper class citizens. The nobles whose families own the mines along with numerous other properties throughout the country. This area is known around the city as the alden district.

The lower class area of the city is known as the Ardeth District.
    Last edited by Red; 10-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The early morning was cool, and a light fog and mist covered the land. The light through the fog gave the woods an eerie grey look. A small campfire was burning, adding a warm reddish-orange glow to the grey air. Three figures were around the fire. The first was Derryn, a man apparently in his early twenties. He wore tan leathers that almost matched his long sandy blonde hair. Two striking features about him were his bright green emerald eyes, that almost seemed to glow in the firelight. The other was a single streak of red in his hair that flowed from his temple up and back, down the length of his hair, giving him the nickname "Red." He was holding a pan over the fire, cooking strips of meat for their breakfast.

Second was Irena, a solemn looking young woman, just a little younger than her traveling companion. Her long golden blonde hair surrounded her pale skin giving her an almost angelic look, an angel lost in sadness. Her eyes were a striking violet color, unusual for humans, revealing her elven lineage. She was sitting facing and talking to the third figure, a large grey wolf.

<<Thank you for having your pack watch over us while we slept,>> Irena growled in the wolf's language. The wolf responded with a lick to her cheek before turning and running off into the woods, disappearing into the grey mists.

"It didn't sound like he had much to say," Derryn said as the wolf ran off. The woman held her cheek where the wolf licked her, giving a very faint smile. Her smile still seemed to have a bit of sadness to it.

"No, he didn't have to. He needs to take care of his pack now." She moved next to him and sat by the warm glow of the fire. "Is breakfast ready?"

He pulled the pan back and set it on the dirt. "Yeah, this is the last of it for now. Fortunately Ozmite is only a couple hours away. We'll be able to get some more supplies there."

"That's the elven city, right?"

"Like always. We can get more supplies for curing the meats from my hunts, and shouldn't need to go to another city for a few months at least."

She simply nodded. They had decided a long time ago to stay away from cities as much as possible. Their families were slaughtered eight years ago, casualties of the war. It wasn't clear if it the humans or the elves were responsible, as Irena's family was hated by both. Derryn's family were their protectors, and now the two of them are the only survivors of their respective families. When they did have to go to town, they always tried to go to elven cities. Irena's violet eyes identified her of elven decent, and put her at risk for her life among humans, and Derryn, being a shifter, was also hated by humans. Even though Irena was human, her violet eyes allowed her to travel relatively safely in elven lands, and her safety was Derryn's utmost concern.

"Red? Will we ever have a home?" Irena asked after a moment of silence. It wasn't the first time in their eight years living off the land that she had asked this question. She already knew the answer, because it was the same every time. Derryn, always answered it patiently and with concern for her.

"Maybe one day, Irena. The war can't last forever. We will settle down just outside a village perhaps. Have our own small farm. You can befriend our animals, convince the hens to share some of their eggs with us. I will hunt in the nearby woods and bring in our meats. We will have a garden, filled with red roses you love so much. We can even grow our own food there. We will never live in fear, and never be in need. It will be our paradise."

Derryn smiled as he spoke, both of them able to picture this idyllic home in their minds. It was a dream that kept them going through each dark day. It was a hope of something better, something stable, something perfect. Irena smiled a little more at the thought, the sadness apparently washed away by the thought, yet still lingering in the background, never completely gone.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

N'Ath

Just outside of Ozmite, actually in the very limits of the city and the woods, there was a small house owned by a very young elf woman named N'Ath. In spite of her youth, she was known in town as a "Healer". No, she didn't have that kind of powers, but she knew about herbs and how to mix them to give physical relief. At times of war, she had become the to-go person when you were sick and needed help. There were "real doctors" in town, of course, but they were expensive and most just couldn't afford them. Curiously enough, N'Ath didn't charge her "patients", she just asked them to invite her over for dinner sometime and give her fruits, vegetables and the occasional meat for her own sustenance. The result was that N'Ath had visitors all the time, and when she was not home, she was at someone else's place having a meal. It was no surprise that she became the confident to many, since she was also a good listener. N'Ath had no family in town and, somehow, she had made up for it with the poor side of the elven people.

Her days were usually busy and this morning would be somewhat unusual. It was very early, you could still see the fog in the woods when she woke up. There was a quick red spark in her eyes as she noticed something different out there. She stood up from bed and looked through the window and inhaled a big breath of fresh air. It smelled a bit of rain and she could immediately tell about two persons in the woods. She just had to meet them.

She put on a white dress and a red cowl, covered her eyes in Morningberries juice, which somehow gave her eyes a different color, grabbed the basket she used to collect herbs and walked into the direction of Irena and Derryn.
    ...to the topTop

Eli.jpg eli wolf.jpg ELI
    Eli had been outside the city walls since the moon was high in the sky. She had been on the hunt. Herself and three others from a local wolf pack went hunting together often. She felt bad for decieving her brothers, they knew nothing of her human form, but she did what she must to survive in this cruel world. Despite their efforts they had an unsuccessful night. She was on her way back to city, trotting along quite carelessly in her massive form, when she smelled the food. She started to drool subconsciously and she followed her nose. She heard to humans before she saw them. Something about eggs, roses, and fear. Eli shook her head and crept closer keeping low to the ground.

She silently approached them until she could only just see the humans through the fog. Food, was her only thought. She hadn't eaten in days and the temptation of a fresh meal was simply too great to pass up. Now she simply needed to decide how to go about getting the food.

She could, of course, rage in there, full battle form and take it by force, however that would leave the humans terrified and they would alert the city to her presence... unless she got rid of them... but she wasn't in the mood for a fight on an empty stomach.

Her next option was to go in there in her hafling form begging, this worked on occassion but generally only with people who had food to spare. And this young couple didn't seem to have much of anything to spare.

Her final, and probably the best, option was to shift back into human form and simply ask if they had food to spare. She decided that although number three was the least amount of fun, it was most likely to get her fed. And so, just out of the humans sight she changed into her human form and wandered into the circle of light created by the fire.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Derryn heard Eli's approach before she emerged from the mists into the light of the fire. As soon as she walked into the light, he was on his feet, drawing his sword with his left hand. Irena's smile from their hopeful talk, and was replaced with a look of fear. She scrambled behind Derryn, hiding behind him as she always did in situations like these. Because of what they had experienced, they never knew who they could trust, so they erred on the side of not trusting anyone. Especially someone who would travel this far off the road to their campfire.

"What do you want?" Derryn demanded, his bright emerald green eyes stared into her similarly colored eyes, looking for any indications of the danger this woman presented.
    ...to the topTop

N'Ath

N'Ath was getting closer to Irena and Derryn when she saw the light of the fire and the warning voice of the young man. She rushed her pace until she saw Eli standing in front of the two youngsters who had caught her attention since she first woke up this morning.

"It's a little early to battle," N'Ath said with a nice smile on her face, "you're not even soldiers, what's the rush to let your blood run?"
    ...to the topTop

Eli.jpgELI
    Eli laughed and threw her hands up giving a brilliant smile. "Calm down," She coaxed completely ignoring the male's sword. She looked to where the new woman had walked from the mists and was surprised to realize that she had practically snuck up on her because she was too preoccupied with the food. She chastisied herself mentally and vowed to be more aware. She walked forward and plopped down beside the fire. It was so desperately hard to tear her eyes from the food sizziling over the fire but she did. She turned to the man who now stood next to her with a sword pointed at her. The young girl remained cowering behind his back.

"I don't wanna start anything! I just want..." Eli's gaze turned back to the food and her stomach rumbled loud enough for everyone in the area to hear. "Ah! well, looks like it's obvious now isn't it!" She chuckled putting her hand behind her head and giving another brilliant smile. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare ya, I just saw the fire and couldn't help but check it out." Eli wiped a small bit of drool from her mouth.

"Oh, and I don't know what's up with freaky stalker elf, completely unrelated to me." She threw her thumb over her shoulder in the direction of the pretty elf without taking her eyes of the food.

She fought desperately to keep from changing and tearing into the food. Eli hadn't had a single bite of food in what? 4 days? She was lucky her wolf form gave her human form some extra endurance. She fought her animal side and looked at the man and cowering woman without truly being able to take them in yet.
    Last edited by Red; 10-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    They were still a couple hours away from Ozmite and a good distance from the road, and they were found by a human and an elf. Sure, every once in a while, their camp might be found by a single traveler, but two in the same foggy morning. This did not make Derryn feel comfortable at all. The human was hungry, that much was obvious, but it was also clear from her body language that she was holding something back. Probably a desire to grab the food and run. The elf woman, though, what was her purpose here?

Irena was afraid, there were now two strangers here. The human sat down too close for her comfort. She didn't know what to think about the elf. She needed to feel safe. Derryn made her feel safe, but now there were two. The wolves, they were still nearby. Perhaps if they were to come to help, they would be even safer. She tilted back her head and let out a wolf howl. <<Help us!>> was her cry. She knew it would be answered, but didn't know how quickly they'd arrive.

Derryn was used to Irena's actions, and knew she was calling for additional help, even though she couldn't understand the wolf language. "We don't need the wolves just yet," he told his gaze shifting between the elf and the human. "If you're hungry, take my portion, but leave hers alone. We don't want any trouble."
    ...to the topTop

Eli.jpg ELI
    Eli's eyes went wide but only for a brief second when the girl called the wolves. Shit, She thought. The tiny human has Grace. Eli wasn't at all concerned with the girl's cry for help however, she knew that when it came down to it the wolves would follow the true Alpha, and that was Eli. The culture of wolves was far different from that of humans.

This aside it would still be easier for Eli if she didn't have to explain to the wolves why she wasn't honest and up front and she certainly didn't want all these strangers knowing she was a shifter. Her whole situation now spelled bad news and it was all this stupid fragile humans fault.

"I didn't want any trouble either," Eli shrugged. "I just wanted a meal, obviously you have no food to spare so I'll just be on my way." Eli got up then and headed for the woods, before leaving she turned back and truly looked at the humans.

The man was sturdy and strong. Shorter than average strong shoulders. His hair was sandy and his eyes were a green similiar to her own. Strange, she thought. She spent only a brief moment thinking this person was acttractive for a human.

The girl was obviously human by her scent, but her violet eyes gave her away. She has elven lineage, Eli registered this in her thoughts. And she has a Grace, can she only speak to wolves? canines? all animals? A Grace powerful enough to allow her to speak to all animals was rare but not unheard of. Interesting, I'm going to keep an eye on these two... after food...

"
    I'll see ya around then?" Eli smiled with a wink leaving the girl obviously unsettled and the boy seemed rather confused because she hadn't taken the food but perhaps she was reading his face wrong. As for the elf that had wondered into the area. Eli blamed her for a lost meal and vowed she'd get back at her eventually.

Eli wandered into the woods only far enough to be sure that she wouldn't be seen. Quickly she shifted into her hafling form and and darted around the camp site to join the rest of the pack as they ran to protect the young woman and her companion.
    ...to the topTop

N'Ath

N'Ath remained calm for the entire confrontation between these strangers. She knew her sole presence somehow changed the flow of events, but that would be okay. Right now she wasn't in the mood to start this early healing anyone.

"That woman was troubled," N'Ath said to the two other youngsters with a strong sense of familiarity, "I think you were a bit lucky that I ran into you at this very moment. In times of war, some people lose their minds and become dangerous. You have to believe me when I tell you this is not a place for camping. Just the wolves could have devoured you during the night."

She leaned her head a bit and smiled. "By the way, I'm N'Ath. At Ozmite they say I'm a healer," she giggled a bit, "but I only wish. Have you seen some blue and yellow flowers around this place? I need them to work on some antibiotics."
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast