Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Adventurer Revelator is offline Revelator's Avatar
    Security Check-Point Guard

"We have a better idea than you think. However this is more of a research base than a military garrison. The people here are working hard on this. We have to try and stay disciplined, running around in a panic won't solve anything," the guard said. He cleared his throat quickly though, realizing he had probably spoken too much.

He didn't have long to feel awkward however, as an NCO was jogging over from the main building, he moved up to the group. The guard at the station saluted, the sergeant nodded and he relaxed. He looked at the group and offered his hand to Abby first, then shook hands with everyone, "I'm sergeant Myer. Quite frankly we aren't really prepared to house civilians here, however some of the staff and personnel's families are here. We have an area set up in one of our older buildings. We can go drop off your things. I was told you had some information regarding the outbreak..." he said to Abby. He said it all rather quickly, though clearly.
    "I know I'm paranoid, but I still think they might be out to get me"

Die Tonight, Live Forever!

...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

It's a big difference seeing it with your own eyes.

Mike grumbled at the guard. Clearly since they were safe and protected here they didn't understand why these people would have the same sense of urgency. He would have kept complaining if Dylan hadn't muttered at him to knock it off and let Abby handle it. Dylan was sure that the only reason any of them had been let in was that she said she could help. If Mike kept it up, they would probably be kicked out. Mike sighed and said he would. If he was by himself he wouldn't have "been good" but he had to remember that his nephew deserved to be safe.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 02-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.

...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Abby was glad that Dylan could be a voice of reason with Mike. She understood where Mike was coming from, she had the same sense of urgency but being rude wasn't going to help. All it would do was prevent them from being safe, at least for a little while. She could tell from the look of relief on Katie's face when Mike got quiet the other woman felt the same. She shook hands with the NCO and replied.

I do. I was there when it started.

She would gladly tell him and the scientists anything they wanted to know. Although...She looked over at Sam who looked scared as he held his mother's hand and said quietly to Myer.

Is there somewhere we can talk privately? I don't want to scare Sam. He's just a child.
    ...to the topTop

Sergeant Myer

"Of course, there are other families and children with guards at the building, we'll just stop by to drop your things off. If you all want to come it's fine, anyone with information from the area of the outbreak can be of assistance. Your kids will be fine there, or you can bring them if you'd prefer," the sergeant told them.

When it looked like Abby was ready to start spilling her story he held up a hand, "I would ask you wait to tell though. I'm just a sergeant. We'll go meet with the Colonel and his staff. They're the ones who want to hear this and can do something with it," he told her.

After a walk of about five minutes, passing several buildings, they came to an older looking concrete building. "This used to be a barracks from back when we actually had a strong military garrison here. The older construction is very sturdy, which is why it's been chosen as a safe house. If you'll follow me we'll get you two rooms," Sergeant Myer told them.

When they went in, they passed heavy solid metal doors. Inside was window to the side with another guard. Sergeant Myer walked up and spoke briefly with the man before returning. "There's a two adjacent rooms on the second floor," he told them as he headed for a stairwell.

The rooms weren't too far down the hallway from the stairwell. "You can set your things inside, it's a little spartan, but it's all we got. I'll wait outside until you're ready to go meet with the Colonel and his staff," he told them as he moved to the opposite wall and stood at parade rest.
    ...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

Mike really didn't care much about a tour but he quietly followed the sergeant as he gave it. Dylan and Katie said they would handle getting the things from both cars and into the rooms. They didn't have any information that would help the Colonel. All they knew about the people who had destroyed Cincinnati was what Mike and Abby had told them. Plus Sam was quiet and seemed to be scared. It was better to comfort their kid's fears then listen into something they couldn't offer input for. Maybe being with other children would help too. Mike told Myer.

I was there when it all went to hell. I can tell you guys how to kill them.
    ...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Abby wasn't a mother but she was sure that being around some other kids would be good for Sam. Katie and Dylan agreed. She took a deep breath when Myer told her not to spill her whole story to him. She knew the base didn't want people to panic but the sense of urgency was something that Abby could not get rid of. She was polite during the tour but she really wanted to meet with the Colonel and his staff. Since she and Mike had both dealt directly with those "people" they didn't make Myer wait long before he could take them to the Colonel. Katie and Dylan both trusted that Mike would let them know what was going on.
    ...to the topTop

Sergeant Myer and Colonel Stossen

When Abby and Mike came back out Sergeant Myer was still there waiting for them. He motioned for them to follow him. He looked back at Mike when he said he knew how to kill them.

"Easiest way is to shoot them in the head. However, we're working to develop a concentrated microwave weapon that would be capable of frying their brains en masse," he told them. "In theory it will work, and we can do it, it's trying to build it small enough to be used practically."

They left the building that was being used for housing and walked further into the base to a large single story building, "This is Central Intelligence Command, or CIC. Colonel Stossen and his staff are inside. He's in operational command at the forces at this base, regardless of army, marine, airforce background. I believe a few researchers are with them right now too," he told them as he nodded to the guards outside the building.

They went inside and the interior looked something like a worn out school building. He took them to a stairwell and led them downstairs. When they came out into the next hallway, the place looked suddenly more military and clean. Sergeant Myer led them around a few turns and down a couple hallways before he stopped in front of a set of sliding double doors. He pulled out and ID badge and swiped it then entered a number on a keypad. The doors slid open revealing a large open room. There were computer monitors all around the room with people working at them. Many were on phones. In the center of the room was a large mapboard table upon a dais that took up most of the central area. Several smaller tables could be found around the edge of the dais.

Sergeant Myer led them up the steps to the dais. He saluted a man wearing colonel's pips. He looked up and saluted back, "Dismissed, sergeant." Sergeant Myer nodded and left Abby and Mike there.

"I'm Colonel Stossen. I've been notified you'd be coming. So what do you have to tell me?" the Colonel asked them. He was polite when he spoke, but it was easy to tell it was strained. The colonel had bags under his eyes. The researchers on the dais had all stopped to listen. A few of the officers had as well, but most just lowered their voices and continued working.
    ...to the topTop

Mason Lagister
    Attachment 1049

Mason continued to follow the tour in silence, things must have been worse than he thought if he was able to just walk in and join civilians like he wasn't incarcerated. The guards didn't evne seem to be that worried about what he was imprisoned for or what, while nobody seemed to stop him from entering a research facility. He guessed that the guards were going to deal with him later than deal with him right now. He glanced around, wondering if he was supposed to just stay with these people or what. There were only two rooms if he were to stay here, he would have to share a room with somebody. Maybe he should shave and begin to look less like a criminal. He knew how he looked, and it couldn't help how he acted.
    ...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Abby didn't think they would have time to perfect the weapon they were talking about before those freaks came to the Columbus area but she didn't tell Myer that. She had the feeling he would just tell that there was no need to panic. When she met Colonel Stossen she told him.

Colonel Stossen this all started because on of my collagues, Dr. Matthew Sampson, thought he could play God...

She told him about the first woman. The woman who had bit Matthew and caused the outbreak. She told him she wasn't sure what Matthew had done but that she knew that he had to have done this in his spare time because the lab never would have let him do it. She told him how she and Mike had to fight their way out of the lab and that once people had been attacked by the freaks then they were just like them. They destroyed Cincinnati and surely Dayton too. She told him everything she knew.

...I don't know what Matthew did to "create" her but his assistant thought I could help reverse it. What do your researchers know?
    ...to the topTop

Colonel Stossen and Miles
    oscar-isaac-image.jpg

The colonel's glare could've burned holes through the wall when Abby mentioned Dr.Sampson. When she was done he turned slowly to look at Miles. Miles had gotten there just before Abby and Mike. He had been standing to the side quietly, but intensely, conversing with two other researchers off to the side. They had quieted when Abby began telling the tale of the outbreak.

'Miles, you didn't have anything to do with this did you?" Colonel asked him slowly.

"No! Sir, I didn't even speak with him. I had no idea he was in Cincinnati," Miles replied frantically.

"Positive?" Stossen's voice was cold as ice.

"I swear sir!" Miles looked like he was about to cry.

"Mmm," the colonel took a deep breath and returned his attention to Abby, "Well since we're up shit creek. If we do get this sorted out I'll probably be looking at a firing squad if I'm lucky. We know quite a bit actually. Dr.Sampson was a... civilian correspondant for our research. Miles here," Colonel Stossen jerked a thumb in his direction, "Collected field data and samples, and would send his data and collected samples to him. We're government funded," he said with a humourless chuckle, "So if we want nice things we have to pander to some private sector benefactors. Dr.Sampson was our, go between."

Miles off to the side was gradually calming down, though he was still pale and sweaty, "Sir, I..." Miles began.

"Shut up, Miles," the Colonel said, sounding suddenly very tired. He looked back to Abby and Mike, "Quite frankly, this is a mess. It would take too much time to explain. And forgive me, but I have other matters to attend. I truly mean no offense, but I don't have the time to go into detail on the political intrigue that's involved in this. Nobody is innocent though. Dr.Sampson on the other hand..." Colonel Stossen trailed off.

The room had gotten very quiet, except for some of the staff still on phones, everyone else attention was on the dais. Colonel Stossen snapped out of it though, "Sergeant!" he barked at Sergeant Myer, who ran over in front and saluted, "Go ahead and take these two back to the housing section. Take Mr.Vito with you. We'll bring him back when we need him," Colonel Stossen told him.

Sergeant Myer nodded and motioned for them to follow him.
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast