Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Adventurer Revelator is offline Revelator's Avatar
    The year is 4,300 I.E. or Intergalatic Era. About 150 years ago, two advanced alien races, the Darlok and the Iloidai appeared in human space fighting a war. In Ringbolt, the researcher Kasha Voynich with the aid of a few ultra allies and her followers the fled the Mars revolt discovered a way to shut down the punch gates, which they did, cutting themselves off from the rest of human space. However the few Darlok in system managed to deliver a nano/bio virus called the Melding Plague to the one true settlement in the system. Called Chasm City, this plague wreaked havoc on the nanite structres, causing them to grow out of control, and in many cases fuse with organic material. Such as their inhabitants. It slowly spread out to what is now called the Rust Belt, which is a region past the small moon orbiting Chasm consisting of thousands of space stations that run the gamut of shapes and sizes. Now many are completely uninhabitable, or only partially habitable. Its qutie lucrative, scavening and salvaging the old stations. However Dr.Voynich made the decision to cut off the one other punch gate to Eystur, which was a dead end system. Eystur is now one of but a handful of start systems spread through human space that hasn't been touched by war or biological and nanovirus attacks. Eystur has to inhabited planets. Mathison's World, a large minerally righ ice world. It's partially settled, though the overall population is low, numbering only 4 or 5 million. The other planet is a comfortable temperate world called Frarn. Frarn consists of eleven independent nations that are united by a council holding three members from each nation, and two from the Old trade city-state.

Now though Dr.Voynich has dissappeared, and her orginization was become very elusive and reclusive. The gates have turned back on now though. The Melding Plague is mostly neutralized at this point. Though Eystur is jsut now reconnecting with Ringbolt. And both systems have no idea what lays beyond the other gate, but many feel it's time to find out.

The rest of the galaxy is disorganize for the most part. The humans ended up getting caught up in the war. However since Humans are the first other spacefaring civilization the Darlok and Iloidai have come across, they weren't able to assimilate them to their ranks of captured slave races. Many of those managed to escape in the chaos of the three way war and now have thriving settlements and populations scattered around Human space. A few human systems were able to isolate themselves by defending their punch gate so well they were left alone. These systems are on par with Eystur in terms of stability and health. Most other planets are no longer united as whole worlds now. A few worlds are barely populated at all or were completely wiped out. Both of the alien powers used a lot of bioengineering and robotics to fight, and there are many horrid abominations roaming the galaxy, or in hiding. There are still rogue Darlok and Iloidai ships and factions still lurking around in human space as well.

So that's the setting I've developed. This setting leaves room for everyone to develop systems and worlds, races and whatever else they want in, while giving us a small starting region so we can all start together, roughly. I have an idea to kick off the game as well: The elusive Martian faction has kidnapped several important scientists spread across several fields of study. No one knows why or what for, but it's got people spooked.'

I'll start with this, though I'm going to work on typing out a description of the beings and technologies found in this setting as well. I want to break it up though. What I do post would be enough to get us started. Once we have a game setup we can make a thread called Galactipedia which we can post explanations for technologies, races, worlds, etc...

Let me know what you think

PS I have a way to incorporate magic into this setting, but that comes in my next post. Also this gives the room for settlements and worlds that had their **** rocked back to dark age technology. Also, AD to IE age changed around 2300 AD. Just to clarifiy
    Last edited by Revelator; 02-04-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    "I know I'm paranoid, but I still think they might be out to get me"

Die Tonight, Live Forever!

...to the topTop

I just realized I forgot to throw something in there. There ARE quite a few bastions of civilization still around. Large self-sufficient space stations in or near asteroid belts. They are hard to find unless you know they're there. This is because asteroid belts screw with gravimetric sensor readings
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like this idea so far. I would love to expand on the alien cultures and species. I already have an idea for a character. A scavenger/mercenary type, has own ship used to travel, earn money (both honestly and dishonestly) and scavenge for resources for use or sale (legitimate or black market).
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Sounds good Jas. And my next big post will go explain some of the human sub-secs and alien cultures. I'll work in the magic bit as well.
    ...to the topTop

Humanity has developed neural nanite networking, which allows for neuro implants and augmentation systems. There are many different types and varieties and run the gamut of qualities. Due to the ability to highly increase neurological processes, some humans have learned how to use their mental energy to manipulate the universe and external energy sources (Do magic in other words) this takes training, very VERY few are able to accomplish this without training from some one who knows how already. The ability to "backup" yourself in digital form is also available.

Most of the human sub-secs are differentiated by idealogical differences more than anything else.

Human Sub-Sec:

Ultras - Ultras are cybernetic beings, the oldest of which have very few remaining organic parts. Over the course of their lives they gradually replace organic parts with custom made mechanic parts. They are fanastic engineers and technicians, however they are very secular, only socialzing with other Ultra's in most cases. Ultra's posses great technological knoweldge and often use that as trade. Ultra's are the only people that are capable of piloting Apocryhpha class super-capital ships. Apochrypha ships are unique in the fact that they can be run by a crew of 10 or even less, despite the fact that they are enormous. This is because an Ultra captain integrates with the ship itself. Removing oneself however, often doesn't happen until death. Removal from a ships integration often causes the captain to eventually die after a short time. Ultra's find people they think would be able to handle being an Ultra, and in most cases kidnap them, and eventually work them into an Ultra. Most Ultra's only close companionship is with their ships crew, which can be as few as 3, or as many as 20, though rarely more.

Hermetics - When the Melding Plague struck, many people were infected as well. Most of them died because of it, and were incorporated into the "living" nanite structures. However, many of wealthy and elite that were infected chose to freeze their bodies, drastically slowing or altogether stopping the progess of the plague. However these people are now trapped in their hermetic units. Their neural networking however, has increased in capability and speed due to the extreme cold. This allows the Hermetics to stay conscious and able to interact with the world outside their hermetic units. They are extremely smart and clever, and many can be found pulling strings behind groups, factions and organizations.

Capricians - With advances in genetics and medical science, some humans have taken physiological alterations to a whole other level. These humans change their bodies, sometimes as little as giving themselves fur, or printed skins (i.e.m leaporad print/tiger stripes) other have given themselves functional wings, or gills. Generally this is restricted to elite and wealthy individuals.

Martians - The faction of Martian dissidents that fled the civil war often refer to themselves as Reds. A throwback to ancient Mars, which is symbolic of their ideals. They refuse cybernetic and physiolocial alterations to their bodies. They refuse to grow new organs when theirs fail. They do still accept the neural networking gear, and have some of the most advanced gear for it. They're path to longevity is cloning. When their bodies die, the switch their mental backup or imprint into a new body. They are a faction of militant researchers and scientists.

Normal Humans - The majority of Humans are still 'normal'. Not having the money to afford joining the ranks of Capricians, nor the access to the cybernetic know-how that the Ultra's hold as a closely guard secret. At most they may choose cybernetic organs when theirs fail. While more expensive, they last far longer than a newly grown organ. Livers and Kidneys are often done this way, if the person has the extra money. Nearly every human still has neural nanite networking (NNN). It's become incredibly cheap and affordable, and usually installed close to birth. It can be upgraded later if the individual has the resources for it.

Mutants/Hybrids:

Pigs - The origins of the pigs are actually a big mystery. No one knows if they started out as pigs, or as humans. However they are now a hybrid species that comprimises the lowest class of society. Some are feral, animalistic; not even self-aware. Though some are fully sentient and quite nice people. Regardless, for some reason the NNN Humans use doesn't work with the pigs.

Ravens - (If you've seen Serenity you know what I'm talking about) For our purposes: A failed Darlokian experiment back when they had a toe-hold in Ringbolt. Ravens are insane humans whose only goal is to create as much violence and commit as many atrocities as they possibly can. Some can be found lurking on the ground level in Chasm City, others have their own ships that they use to hide in the outter regions of the star system and prey on unfortunate mining and scavenger ships.

Sleepwalkers - Sleepwalkers are one of the most unusual beings, human or alien, in the region. They always start out as human. Howver it appears as though a disease takes over their body, leaving their mind comatose, though their body still functioning...and moving. Very rarely will they human mind wake up and gain control again. If it doesn't, of the course of roughly a year (Terran Standard) the person metamorphoses. The skin hardens and blackens into crystaline plates that mimic the layout of human musclature. Their are cracks all across the body though, revealing what appears to be a highly viscous silvery liquid. This liquid does not escape out of the cracks however. Speculation has been made that it is a pure nanite fluid. No one knows for sure though, as they are nigh impossible to destroy. When one is destroyed, the nanite fluid dissipates too quickly for analysis. They do not communicate, though some speculate they communicate with each other telepathically. They are usually left alone, as they don't bother anyone. They do however, function. Many seem to repair or reshape nanite structures, or work fixing machinery and equipment. While incredibly tought and strong, they leave people alone as long as their left alone. Note: their tasks are self assigned, no one tells them what to do, and it isn't clear what drives them to keep perfoming their jobs.

Digital Lifeforms:

Alpha Protocols - The term for a mental imprint or backup is called a Beta Protocol. Howver, the technology exsists to create an Alpha Protocol, which is an active version of a mental backup that evolves or grows divirgent from the person who created it. These are usually frowned upon, and are illegal in Eystur. They are most often created by people who are in risk of assisination. They are easily hidden in data networks and storage spaces. They retain much more of the creators personality to begin with and can project themselves and interact with the other beings.

Robots - Robots are used a great deal by the Iloidai, though they don't use sentient AI's. Theirs are programmed and function like complex computer programs. Humans however have created AI robots, or droids. These are almost always bipedal and vaguely human-like. Although it is taboo to put an AI in ship/station or other large computer systems that can adversely affect large groups of people. This is because AI's are suseptible to corruption. Newer models are much less prone to it, and these days it rarely happens at all.

Ultra Ships - These should have a mention here. Due to the nature of the ship-captain relationship Ultra ships tend to be regarded as AI controlled by any lucky (or unlucky) enough to set foot on them. The ships often seem to work while un-manned, and the captain has control over all the ships servitors and bots. Ultra ships are constantly changing and evolving, new parts being added, old ones repaired, imporved or removed. No two Ultra Ships are identical.

(Working on the aliens, wanted to go ahead and get this up though)
    Last edited by Revelator; 02-05-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow! This is really in depth! I really like this so far. My mind is spinning with not only the original character, but now some of the crew. Looking forward to reading about the aliens! Only change I would recommend is changing "Reavers" to "Reapers" to avoid the crossing with Firefly/Serenity. Reaper is a little more generic term.
    Last edited by Jason Sanborn; 02-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Truth.

It's easy as 1,2,3 when I can just rip ideas out of all my sci-fi stories, games, movies and such. I'm a HUGE sci-fi buff. The galactipedia page will be updated at least once a day once we get going...
    ...to the topTop

Alien Races:

Darlok - The Darlok are a bipedal race, however their skin is shiny, black and rubbery to the touch. They often wear hooded cloaks and long flowing clothes. They are masters of bio engineering. They are sneaky and stealthy. Their ships are the same way, and are almost never detected until they engage in combat. The Darlok's bodies are oddly curved. They are the only race of alien capable of mimicing the Human languages.

Drakas - (For visualization, imagine a Droideka from star wars, but a living thing, and blue) A Darlok subservient species. They are almost certainly created using Darlok genetic material. They are a seperate species now however they are capable of reproduction. They are quadrapeds. The Drakas are darkblue and have 4 glowing orange slits for eyes set on an angluar, elongated head. Their mouths are tubes, not capable of speech. They communicate telepathically with each other. They can communicate telepathically to humans as well, but by projecting images into a humans mind. Drakas have a strong sense of honor, quite unlike their Darlok masters. The respect great warriors, and strong fighting spirit. They have several settlements around human space now, free from the Darlok. The stick to themselves. While protective of their borders, they don't go around picking fights either... most of the time anyway.

Iloidai - The Iloidai are the most unusal race, physiologically. Their bodies are encased in metal housings. The housings are semi-circle golden discs that constantly emit gas. The housings are always empty when searched. This led to the belief that they are actually a gaseous being. The do however, have biological heads that seem to float above the houseing. The heads are long and taper back into a tail where the cranial cap would be. How this works is a mystery. Iloidai are masters of energy manipulation, and can make their ships do things that are believed to be impossible. Of the two alien powers, they are more friendly towards humans. This is relative though, they still treat humans with disdain.

Gorm - The gorm are large hexpedal beings with smooth grey skin. The usually move about on all six, but can walk on two, or four. The can grow up to 3 meters long. They have large heads that, apart from their wide flaring noses, look bizarrely human. Gorm are quite gently beings, though when roused are tough, stoic fighters. They're the only race that seems to enjoy human company at all. They have settlements around human space as well. Though they and the Drakas stay clear from each other. The both respect the others ability, and while they harbor no animosity towards each other, they know that where the Darlok and Iloidai to return, they would have to take up arms against each other once again.

These are just a few. We can always add more too. But we have a sampling now, something to get started with.

I'm really looking forward to his game

(I don't want to even get started on adding and creating techs. I'd never stop, especially when it comes to starships. I have some good weapon ideas as well. Quite a few are originals I've developed for my own stories. I can also give details on Punch gate operation)
    Last edited by Revelator; 02-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    ...to the topTop

One thing, if at all possible can we change it from reaper, while there is nothing wrong with the name reaper (which has now already been changed once) but everytime I read that I'm just going to think of gigantic living spaceships that have come to exterminate the human race as they do in the mass effect games. Its nothing but a request to help me remember that they are not the giant devious living robots.

Another thing is I strongly recommend everybody has either their own ship or access to ships constantly, because I plan on moving this story all over the galaxy, planet to planet to planet to planet. Because I love creating planets and cultures, and all sorts of different things, considering Rev's interest in creating alien races, I'm sure he'd like to travel accross planets of his own as well. At least that would be my reccomendation, plus everbody can then create their own spaceship which is just as fun as making a character, because spaceships should be an extension of those characters, or a character al themselves.

Plus I have a few ideas for story progession myself I'd like to keep secret.
    ...to the topTop

That works for me. I'll think of something to turn Reapers too. Also, I have a big list of ship types, classifications, propulsion systems, weapon systems, sensory gear, extra equipment, and layouts. I've got a couple future weapons ideas.

One way we could do this. Each person controls NPC's in the system they create. I do have an idea to kick off our game in the Ringbolt system. It has to do with the kidnapped scientists. It would move things along in the right direction as well. Jas's idea for a mercenary type character would fit in very well. I also have a few NPC characters thought up to get it moving as well.

If everyone's pretty much alright with this, could we go ahead and try and get an actual room made for the game? I think "A Galaxy Reborn" might be a good name for it. Though if anyone has anything better feel free.

Gonna change Reapers to Ravens
    Last edited by Revelator; 02-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast