Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Adventurer Revelator is offline Revelator's Avatar
    Return to Dragger City

Return to Dragger City

Virgil and Miles
    Jackson Rathbone.jpgoscar-isaac-image.jpg

Virgil rode most of the way in silence, occasionally speaking briefly with one of the soldiers on either side. Once they started getting close he looked over at Abby and Mike sitting across from him.

"So, how familiar are both of you with the area?"
    he asked, nudging one of the soldiers next to him to pay attention.

He checked his pistol idly before returning his attention to them.
    "I know I'm paranoid, but I still think they might be out to get me"

Die Tonight, Live Forever!

...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

During the ride to Cincinnati, Mike sat next to Abby and quietly told her how to use the Beretta. He could tell she had no experience with guns and figured a short lesson would be better then nothing. He warned her about the recoil that would happen when she first fired it, showed her how to turn the safety on and off, and how to load it. He would have preferred to have had a chance to take her out for some target practice but he knew no one was going to stop in a farm field and let them do that. Although he hoped the soldiers would keep her safety in mind, he knew that they had a mission and that was to obtain Matthew's research. He looked over at Virgil when he asked how familiar he was with the area.

After I left the Rangers, I spent a year and a half patrolling that area as a beat cop. I remember it well.

Retirement hadn't lasted long for Mike after leaving the Army. He couldn't see himself just working part time in a store or factory after spending his adult life in the service. Moving on to law enforcement had been a natural transition. The area where Abby said Matthew Sampson had lived, had been the first area he had patrolled. He only recently been moved to Narcotics before the dragger outbreak at the NIOSH.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 02-29-2012 at 08:27 AM.

...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Abby gave Mike her full attention during the quick lesson on how to use the Beretta. She didn't feel very confident using it but at least she had some sort of protection in case something bad happened and she got separated from the group. When Virgil asked how well she and Mike knew the area, she replied.

Until a few months ago, I spent a lot of time down there.

When she and Matthew had broken up, there was no reason for Abby to travel to that area of the city. Although she did remember it well from the time they had dated. She remembered the route to get to work and how to get to her apartment from Matthew's. She looked over at Mike and said quietly to him.

So you left one dangerous job to go right into another?
    ...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

Even though Abby hadn't announced it to the world, Mike knew that Abby used to date this Matthew. He wondered what she saw in him since he had caused the outbreak. Although he knew she hadn't known what her ex was doing in his spare time. He gave Abby a smile and told her.

Yeah retirement bored me pretty quickly.

Some psychologist would probably say that maybe Mike liked the thrill of working in jobs where he was constantly in danger. Maybe he had commitment issues and those jobs were a good excuse to not form a long term relationship. Maybe he liked being in an authority position. Mike never liked to psychoanalyze himself too much. All he knew was he liked feeling like he was making a difference in the world. The way the world was going to hell that had been a wise career move. Plus if he hadn't became a cop, he wouldn't have met Abby. She might have became one of those draggers if he hadn't been at the NIOSH. He sighed looking out the window and saw a sign telling them how close to Cincinnati they were. He said quietly more to himself then anyone else.

Man...I was supposed to be fishing this weekend.

A guy's weekend fishing with his brother and nephew would have been far more enjoyable then returning back to Cincinnati. But he wasn't going to let Abby go alone.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 02-29-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    ...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Well I'm not sorry that it did.

Abby replied to Mike with a small smile. She'd probably be dead if he hadn't found her at the lab. He saved her life, she just hoped that this trip wouldn't have made his effort be in vain. She liked Mike and wished she could have met him a sooner. Crazy how the world was going to hell and she met a good guy. That would be her luck. When Mike grumbled that he was supposed to be fishing, she said.

I think that would be a funner trip.

The closer they got to Cincinnati, the more her anxiety kicked in. Memories of the chaos and her and Mike's escape with Mason were fresh in her mind. Although she wasn't going to back out. She wanted to help find a cure for Matthew's mistake.
    ...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

Me neither.

Mike replied with a wink when Abby told him she wasn't sorry his retirement was boring. He enjoyed being a cop even though his job was gone now. Plus he had gotten to met her and he wouldn't trade that for anything. Although he wished he could have met her sooner, instead of when the world started to go to the hell. He nodded his head that she thought going fishing would be funner then this. He'd rather be catching fish then having to blow the heads off of draggers but he also wasn't going to let her go back to the city by herself. He turned to Virgil so the man didn't think he and Abby were totally ignoring him even if he had spent a lot of the car ride in silence.

​So what is your plan going in?
    ...to the topTop

Abby Hall

Abby smiled back at Mike when he winked at her. Although his question to Virgil quickly reminded her of why they were on this trip to begin with.

Is there any word of how far the draggers have spread?

She knew they were in Dayton and she just assumed they would keep moving in any given direction. She wondered how safe her family would be even though her parents lived in Florida and her brother lived in Georgia. She hoped the answer to the cure would be in Matthew's research but she wasn't going to hold her breath about it.
    ...to the topTop

Seasoned Adventurer Revelator is offline Revelator's Avatar
    Virgil
    Jackson Rathbone.jpg

Virgil answered Abby's question first, as it would lead into his answer to Mike's, "Last we heard, the Dayton area was evacuating, and the area just south of Dayton was reporting a few draggers. Don't know if the reports were hysteria as they were second-hand," he told the two.

He pulled out a smaller map, "We're going to come down outside of Hamilton City, near MU and go down through Cleves-Harrison area to hit US 50," he told them, running his finger along the route as he talked, "Once we hit 50 we're going to get dropped off and the trucks are going to head towards Miami Whitewater park with their security detail. They'll wait there till we radio in for pickup. We'll hoof it into the city from there, it will most likely take the better part of a day to get there. We'll have to find somewhere to camp over night. That's something we'll have to decide when we get to it. I have a few ideas but we'll have to wait and see how things go."
    ...to the topTop

Abby Hall

I see...Well at least they haven't spread out of state...Yet.

Abby replied to Virgil when he told her what he had heard about the draggers. She hoped this plan would work and only the state of Ohio would have to deal with them. In a perfect world they could find a cure and stop the draggers from spreading all across the country. But she knew the world was perfect and wasn't about to hold her breath. She listened to Virgil's plan quietly.
    ...to the topTop

Mike Brooks

Yet was the key word. Mike did hope this plan would work, that the answer for the cure would be in Matthew Sampson's research. Because if not...Then those draggers would get a lot farther then Dayton. When Virgil told him his plan, Mike nodded his head.

Sounds good. Just let me know what you need me to do.

It was a sound plan and save any complications from the draggers it could work. Mike would prefer to remain with Abby but he had been a solider once. He would follow whatever orders Virgil gave him.
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast