Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Article: Server Migration This Week

Article: Server Migration This Week

Thanks to the faithful support of several members here, the server is paid for the next six months. Thank you all for your help.

Now, as part of the process of keeping the site online, I have to migrate the site to the new server and deactivate the old server. I have already begun the process of migration and am trying to make it as seamless as possible. Sometime before the end of the weekend, I will be locking the forum to do the data backup and move the site over to the new server. There will be anywhere from one hour to 48 hours that the site will be down, depending on how long it takes for your Internet provider to update their information to point to the new server.

If you have any questions, please ask in this thread. Gary or I will be happy to answer them.

You can view the page at http://quarrelsandquills.com/content...tion-This-Week

Thanks to the faithful support of several members here, the server is paid for the next six months. Thank you all for your help.

Now, as part of the process of keeping the site online, I have to migrate the site to the new server and deactivate the old server. I have already begun the process of migration and am trying to make it as seamless as possible. Sometime before the end of the weekend, I will be locking the forum to do the data backup and move the site over to the new server. There will be anywhere from one hour to 48 hours that the site will be down, depending on how long it takes for your Internet provider to update their information to point to the new server.

If you have any questions, please ask in this thread. Gary or I will be happy to answer them.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

Should we save or back up any recent posts or threads?

Blog Entries
    No, that won't be necessary. You're welcome to do so, but I'll be doing a direct transfer of the site and all data. The site will be locked on the old server, all data will be moved to the new server and turned on there. Depending on how quickly it takes for the internet to update the new address, you will see the site locked message until your Internet provider is updated.

There is only one thing that might break between now and then. If you have uploaded any attachments or changed your avatar between yesterday and the time of the data migration, those attachments/images might not carry over. Posts, though, will be fine.

Roger dodger.

Blog Entries
    Slight wrinkle in the plans.

Tonight, I'm packing, and tomorrow I'm heading to Southern California. A company I interviewed with over the phone on Thursday wants to see me for an in-person interview and see some sample code on Monday. I am going to do my best to get as much done on the server as I can tonight, after I pack. Tomorrow will be a long day, as I have to bring my car in for servicing first thing in the morning, then drive 6+ hours to my parent's home. If I don't get to the main site tonight, I will try to get it done tomorrow night after I get to my parent's house. Then I will be working on writing sample code and preparing for my Monday interview. If all goes well at this interview, I will have a new job very soon.

I will keep you informed as things continue to progress.

Good luck Jas.

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Good luck with that interview Jason! Drive safely!
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.

Good luck, Jason!
    Sworn, bloody!

Xetal

The Old Peculier perpetrator of warm English beer

Best of luck Jason with your interview.
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast