Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Handmaid's Tale RP

Handmaid's Tale RP

I have binged watch the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu and wondered if anyone was interested in doing a story about it. The show is based a novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood.

The basic premise is a dystopian future, following a Second Civil War in the US, where a totalitarian society, called Gilead, rose to power. Using the Bible, they stripped women and gays of their rights. The only people with power are straight men.

Women, who are forbade to work, handle money, and read or write, only have a few roles in Gilead, including:

-Being a wife, those married to the Commanders (leaders) have the most respect.
    -Being a Martha, who cook and clean for a Commander's home.
    -Being a Handmaid, fertile women (infertility is on the rise) who are forced to become surrogates for the Commanders and their wives.

I can go into more detail if there is interest.

I would be interested.

I haven't seen the show (I don't have Hulu) but I've read the book several times over the years, so I'm pretty familiar with the setting.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Awesome!

I haven't read the book yet, but I plan to eventually. Once my library gets a copy in, it keeps being checked out. The first season I know followed the book closely. But, obviously, we'd playing our own characters not Offred and other characters in the book. The second season decided to show what happened to her next, after she goes in the van. I do know from interviews that Margaret Atwood is consults with the show. It's a pretty good show, and I binged watched.

What kind of character would you want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    What kind of character would you want to play?
    I'm not quite sure yet. I'll kick around some ideas tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Sounds good.

After thinking about it, I'm leaning toward playing a Wife. Although she's well aware she has it much better than some, she didn't really have any say in the role she was assigned either and she wishes for more freedom than the system allows her.

I like that idea, MK. I was thinking of being a Handmaid and also play the Commander, who can be your character's husband. I see him being one of the founding members of Gilead.

Sounds good. I think that would be a great way to get our characters started interacting.

My plan for my character is that she recently had a pregnancy that ended in stillbirth, which raised concerns about whether she actually has the ability to bear children or not - so it would be a logical time to introduce a Handmaid to the household.

I have a character bio started, and I'll post it once we have a forum.

I like your plan. It will surely cause some conflict, especially when/if the Handmaid get pregnant.

Sorry for the wait, I got the forum up:

http://quarrelsandquills.com/forumdi...andmaid-s-Tale

Thanks for getting it set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast