Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    I've always wanted to be on a jury, so I'm slightly jealous!

I mean not like for a murder or anything really terrible, but just to see how the legal system really works.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    I have been waiting to be called for jury duty too! Some people I know have been called three times! It's totally my turn!

No worries, Jenny! Rest up and post when you can
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.

It's actually really fascinating. It's not like what you see on TV, though. Selecting the jury is the first part of a trial. There's about 100 or so people. First, the judge excuses people who might know about the case or the people involved. Then he or she will ask other questions, like if someone has a medical problem or have some personal or moral reason they can't be on a jury. Then they called up 23 people, I was one of them, to sit in the jury box and the prosecutor and defense lawyer start to ask questions. Then the lawyers and judge go into the judge's chambers to figure out which 12 people and one alternate (who has to hear about the case but won't be part of the judgment unless one of the juror's cannot or will not make a decision) are selected. The rest are excused and the trial begins.

One of the hardest parts for me was not asking questions. Because the witnesses would tell their version of the story and their stories didn't always match! But you could take notes and it was also hard to not talk to the other jurors about the case every time there was a recess. You aren't allowed to discuss the case with them until it is time to deliberate. You're also not supposed to talk about the case with anyone, until it is over or read the local newspaper or watch local news.

I've been called twice for jury duty. Two years ago, I got dismissed. I think it was because I said I had a kid and the case was about a man raping a teenage girl. Which was fine, I didn't want to hear that in detail. Although I did follow it in the paper and was glad he was found guilty because that asshole looked guilty when I saw him. I would not have been able to be unbiased.

In this case the man was charged with three crimes. Aggravated Burglary (which I learned doesn't have to involve actually stealing something, just forcing your way into someone's home), Felonious Assault, and Assault. We ended up only finding him guilty of Felonious Assault which the defendant even admitted he did on the stand. Which, by the way, was his uncle! The defense tried to claim self defense but he also ran before the officer arrived and they couldn't prove the victim had a knife.

Since the people involved in the case were all related and freely admitted to doing drugs and sleeping around with each other's partners, we honestly couldn't say if he forced his way into the home or he was let in. The police officer didn't find any signs of forced entry.

As for the lesser assault charge, we couldn't say he meant to harm the woman, who didn't go to the hospital or let the officer interview her doctor, or not. She wasn't very trustworthy (none really were, saints these people aren't), and we found him not guilty because we came to the conclusion that if she was hurt, it was an accident.

For the jury rules to find someone guilty of a charge, all the parts of the judge's rules have to be met. After the verdict is read, we got to talk to the judge and also the DA. Where we got to learn the defendant will be on trial again for the leading the police on a high speed chase that ended up in a cemetery! And his two accomplices, his son (this man had 7 kids and another on the way) and his nephew were also charged. So more trials for this family and more jurors who get to learn more then they wanted about them.

The company I work for also still pays you for being on jury duty. So, I got paid for not working. And the county pays me for being there. LOL
    Last edited by Sojourn; 03-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.

That's fascinating, Jenny! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I got a jury summons once, but I was attending college out of state, and when I let them know that, they decided that it wasn't practical for me to be on a jury. I've never been called again. Maybe someday!

I'm really fascinated by all the legal stuff. I may or may not have told you this before, but I have a Political Science degree - it's actually in International Relations, but I took several classes about law as part of it just because it was interesting to me. Taking a class is nowhere near as much of a learning experience as seeing it firsthand, though!

Wow, sounds like quite the experience, Jenny! Thanks so much for letting us know the nitty gritties!

Character Mortin Steel is offline Mortin Steel's Avatar
    we decided not too renew the lease, wife's parents have been
    pestering her that the babygirl needs her own room for awhile
    now.

Aye, jury duty is very different then the most of the garbage you
    see on tv....

You're welcome. It was very interesting and not at all like what they show on TV. Although, I'm still waiting on my check for service. The judge joked that it would probably take until the farmers plant seeds for us to see it.

Ironically, Corey was just joking how I got called twice for jury duty and he never has. Well, he just got a summons in the mail.

Jacen, I'm sure you and the wife will figure what is the best place for you and your family.

Some of you know this already, but my grandmother passed away on Thursday.

We still have arrangements to make and the funeral coming up, so I probably will not have time to get much done posting-wise for the rest of the week. Next week should be back to a normal schedule.

Again, sweetheart, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the arrangements go smoothly and that you can spend some quality time with family.

I'm so sorry for your loss, MK.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast