Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
    Gossamer Portmore, Lucretia Vane, Dora Brighten

Gossamer knew exactly what Bianca was thinking - but Bianca had underestimated Gossamer's stubbornness or arrogance or both. She had staked claim on Lucretia, as she'd said when the girl from Six was drowning. As a result, Gossamer wasn't prepared to walk out of this arena without Lucretia, even if she had to carry the other girl on her back the rest of the way. Which, if she was honest with herself, was looking increasingly likely.

Lucretia coughed hard, and said in a small voice, "It's okay. Just go. I never had a shot anyway."

"Don't be an idiot," Gossamer replied with surprising tenderness given the words she was saying. "I told you to trust me, and you need to do it, damn you."

Lucretia coughed again, and tugged on the collar of her light jacket trying to loosen it. Gossamer leaned over to help her, and when she did, she saw bruises on Lucretia's neck. From training? No, these were too old, already faded to purple and green and yellow. These had happened back home.

"Who did that?" Gossamer demanded.

Lucretia didn't answer, but her silence was answer enough, Gossamer thought. It had to be a parent. The father.

"I swear I'll give the guy who hit you bruises to match once I'm out of here," Gossamer said fiercely. Lucretia gave her a puzzled look - given the nature of their situation, threatening to avenge harm done to her seemed odd - but Gossamer didn't enlighten her. Lucretia didn't need to understand yet. "No one's getting left behind," Gossamer announced to the group as though the interlude had never happened. "If it gets too hot for your taste, no one's obligated to stay, either, but no one gets left."

A brief look passed between Gossamer and Dora. An understanding that could only happen between two people raised to kill in the arena.

Dora glared at Gossamer and shook her head. "We will if we have to, Gossamer. It's not all about you."

"Actually, if you want to be part of my alliance, it is all about me," Gossamer replied in an even, neutral tone. "And you ought to be glad of it. You've been coughing as much as she has. Don't pretend you haven't. Whatever she has, you caught it too, so you should be thanking your lucky stars I'm the one in charge. Shut up and do what I say, Dora."

"She's an arrogant bitch," Dora said quietly to Bianca - but not so quietly that Gossamer wouldn't overhear. Dora stared at Gossamer with undisguised hatred... and coughed.
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 07-25-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Lucky Byrne

The frogs seemed like a lot of work for very little benefit. Lucky was hungry, though, and tired of mushrooms. He stabbed his captured frogs and carried them on his sword like a kebab. He sneered at what Quint said an added benefit of carrying the frogs like this would be.

"That might make this all worth it."
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    It was a good thing that Yvonne had decided on running. The spiders were funneling out of the cave after the girl at an impressive rate. Time would tell if she had the speed and stamina to outrun them – or the brainpower to outthink them. The cave would seem eerily quiet once the spiders left. It would also appear that they had all gone after the girl from Two…at least at first.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Shon Dietrich

The twins already had the first half of the lizard moving through the gap in the tunnel, so Shon swung around behind and helped Mona pick up the rear end. Pieces of the lizard kept catching on things and making things difficult in general. Worst of all, it seemed that the monster’s hips might be too large to make it through the opening. The boulder had done the trick, but a moaning, grating sound now filled the air space of the cavern.

“I don’t think it’s going to hold.” He said aloud, between puffs of laboured breathing. “Go – climb over and get through – at least we’ll have half.”

And hopefully enough time to get him through the gap as well. Shon wasn’t wasting any time. His hand was on Mona’s back, hopefully helping steady her on the awkward footing, but also so that he could follow as closely behind as possible.

~~~~~~

The boulders in the pool area had moved to completely block the entrance to the tunnel system the rest of the alliance was in. Certainly, with some luck, they could work around to find the main group, but as for now, they were cut off. The boulders near the tunnel leading toward the river were now half way to their goal. A secondary tunnel existed, but the troupe would have to pass through wet gravel to get there.
    ...to the topTop

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940