Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Novels we're reading

Novels we're reading

I'm currently reading Erin healy's Afloat. I'm only about 40 pages in so far. But it seems good so far.

What are you reading?

I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and I'm now working on the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay. I'm a fan of the Showtime series and I'm currently on book 4, "Dexter by Design".

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really liked the Hunger Games

I haven't seen dexter and don't get Showtime. So don't know about it.

chronosrules
    Gypsy
    i'm currently reading the witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. A bit for the more mature readers though, the story is quite gripping, with all of the characters having lots of gray in them, no purely good or evil characters are there and the author portrays the relationship between the characters in an interesting way, mostly that of between the witcher Geralt of Rivia and his girlfriend (sorta) Yennefer.

P.S and no, it is not based on the popular RPG, rather, the game is loosely based on the novels

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    I joined a book club, so my reading tends to be restricted towards the month's required reading. Last month was Ursula LeGuin's "A Wizard of Earthsea". I didn't mind it. It wasn't a hugely exciting book, but focused on setting and character development. Of course, I love those things, so the lack of a super exciting, fight-filled storyline was fine with me. Great discussion coming out of the lessons of that book.

This month's book is "28 stories of AIDS in Africa" by Stephanie Nolen. The author is a journalist and she has taken down faithful stories from 28 people from different countries in Africa. The introduction was enough to make me not dread the rest of the book. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.

Recently read Guild Wars 2 The Sea of Sorrows. Even if you don't play the games, the book is a nice fun read. Its pirates, undead chaos, political schemes, building a nation, and the one guy at the center of all this. If you do play the game, it tells why you should keep a Polla doll around.

Currently, I'm bouncing around reading a 600+ page collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. These are the older, pre-Disneyfied versions. So death, duplicity, and not very heroic fellows abound.
    John

Lord Mattson, LM, Matts, its all the same.

Best book I've read recently is "How to make gravy" by Paul Kelly. No it's not a recipe book... Kelly's an Australian musician (probably best known internationally for his 1980s song "(I've done all the) Dumb Things") and this book is his memoir. It's not your standard pop musician autobiography though... it's formatted like this: first he types up the lyrics to one of his songs, then he writes the first thing that comes into his mind. Sometimes it's about the song; sometime's it's about one of someone else's songs; sometimes it's about people he worked with; sometimes it's about his family; and sometimes it's something completely different. It's a great book for having with you while you're travelling: if you find yourself needing something to read for a few minutes, you can just open the book at a random page and find something worth reading.

What I'm reading right now?

_Venetia_ by Georgette Heyer,
    _Wreck of the Nebula Dream_ by Veronica Scott,
    _Invasion_ by Mercedes Lackey, Steve Libbey, Cody Martin, Dennis Lee
    _Chicken Soup for the Soul:_Just Us Girls_ by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, & Amy Newmark

The last one is very much NOT typical reading for me. However, I was feeling a lack of friendship development in the latter two books, and this looked like a good antidote. So far, So good. {cross fingers, Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    I'm reading "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller Jr. . It was my book club choice for the year - actually, I put it up against "Cinder" by Marisa Meyer and my anti-sci-fi club picked the post-apocalyptic sci-fi to end all sci-fi books. Heh. We'll see what they say when we meet next week! I guess I should finish reading it first....

I finished _Wreck of the Nebula Dream_, and started _Dragonwriter_ edited by Todd McCaffrey.

_Venetia_ by Georgette Heyer,
    _Invasion_ by Mercedes Lackey, Steve Libbey, Cody Martin, Dennis Lee
    _Chicken Soup for the Soul:_Just Us Girls_ by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, & Amy Newmark

are still in-progress.

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast