Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here's the second draft of my character. Third version has been posted.

Name: Amber Artemis
    Concept: Carefree Archer Cat Faunus
    Passion: Compassion
    Symbol: Narrow slit cat's eye with two concentric rings in the center of the pupil (as if a target in the center of the eye)

Trait 1 (Semblance): Enjoy life and all it has to offer.
    Trait 2 (Complication): Prejudice from humans that take away the joy.
    Trait 3 (PC Tie): Get others to work together and to have fun.

Skill Rank 4: Archery
    Skill Rank 3: Melee Weapons
    Skill Rank 2: Acrobatics

Basic Stats:
    Wounds: 0 0 0 (how many hits you can take before being out of the fight)
    Action Limit: 10 (max number of dice in your Action Pool)
    Strike Limit: 6 (max number of Strike dice you can use at once)
    Charge Limit: 6 (max number of dice in your Charge Pool)
    Defense: 2 (number of successes needed to inflict a wound, succ/2 round down to get wounds)

Power 1: Maneuver Boost
    Power 2: Resilience
    Power 3: Chain Lightning
    Power 4: Zap
    Power 5: Multisoul
    Power 6: Soulbound Weapon
    Power 7: Soulbound Weapon
    Power 8: Darksight
    Power 9: Quicken
    Power 0: Quickdraw

Weapon: "Realta"
    Collapsed State (Non-weapon) - Folded over, hangs from belt
    Compound Bow State
    - Shock Aura
    Bladed Pole Arm State
    - Power Strike

Description:

Amber is a year older than most freshmen. Her hair is long and black, often worn in a pony-tail, with two yellow bows to tie off the hair, one at her neck, the other at the bottom of the ponytail. In contrast to her hair, her ears are white in color. They are larger than other cat faunus ears, and she does nothing to hide them. Instead, she has two amber jeweled earrings in each ear to draw attention to them. Her clothing of choice, when not in her school uniform, tends to be bright white and yellow colored tops and skirts that go down just above her knees. Her weapon, "Realta" hangs from a belt on her waist in its folded state.

Background:

Amber is the youngest of three, and was born in a village in the Alpina Hills. Her mother owned a bakery in the village, while her father was one of the village protectors, despite having never been an official hunter. Her older brothers were twins, and were ten years older than she was. When she was eight, her brothers joined the White Fang, which was a peaceful organization at that time. They wanted to see change, and were quite vocal about it. The two were often getting into trouble for taking things too far. Four years later, a fight broke out between humans and a the faunus in the village. Her father went with others to try to restore the peace. When the fighting was done, her father and one of her brothers were dead. In the year that followed, her other brother grew more angry and more brooding before finally leaving the village completely. Amber, nor her mother, knew what happened to him. After that, Amber and her mother moved to the city outside Liddle Academy. Her mother opened up a new bakery in the city, but kept her ears hidden to avoid any trouble. Amber didn't like having to hide, and thought that becoming a huntress would be the way to help bring peace. Her training from her father and brothers helped her get into a fighting school to better prepare for the academy. She was denied the first year she tried to apply, but was not discouraged by it. The following year she was approved, which is why she's a year older than her classmates.
    Last edited by Jason Sanborn; 12-11-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Not sure what Jax was meaning by his comment about the weapons. I do have Multisoul and two Soulbound Weapons, so my understand was that is what I needed to use both weapons. I added the Quickdraw that you said was included in order to be able to use the transforming capability of the weapon. Also, your comment about the Light, Matts? Was that instead of Quickdraw, or was that in relation to my weapon in some way?

Some questions from her background. I guess they'd be considered the seeds.

What caused the riot that got out of hand in her home village, that caused the death of her father and brother? Was there a person behind it? Was it just something that got out of hand? What happened to her other brother after he left the village? Is he still alive? Is he still with the White Fang?

Certainly open to more ideas, suggestions and clarifications.
    ...to the topTop

Kulit, a weapon above Jaune's level is soulbound. Maybe I should make an example in here..... ok. Jax is willing to let me use his Saturday game character as an example.

-------------------
    Name
    Coraline, Princess of the Queendom of Corazon
    (daughter of the Queen of Hearts)
    -------------------
    Mostly just called Cora as she's trying to go to school incognito, you can see where it draws from Wonderland right away.

Passions are mostly a main drive but will be of less use past a guideline for you. Symbol is half for style and half to help you with ideas.

-------------------
    Traits:
    All Hearts Beat As One
    No love for the Queendom of Hearts
    They’re not just replacement goldfish
    -------------------

Cora is very empathic so she can read emotions and even send them out so this allows her to work well with others. Of course, given she's from a place where criminals are beheaded doesn't win her much for popularity. Her last trait reflects how a change in her team line up wasn't just replacing people or friends for her but gaining new ones that have different relationships with her.

-------------------
    Skills:
    Strength 4
    Perceive 3
    Intimidate 2
    -------------------

Cora was made to be a weapon so she's stronger then many. Her empathic abilities allow her to pick up a good number of details. And her heritage and willful nature can scare people (sometimes when she'd rather not)

-------------------
    Basic Stats:
    Wounds: 0 0 0
    Action Limit: 10
    Charge Limit: 6
    Defense: 3
    ---------------------

If a power changes these base stats, like Defense, just adjust it this block. These will be more guideline then actual use in this game but still gives you an idea if your character is someone who is highly defensive, can take a lot of lumps, has more energy then most, etc.

---------------------
    Powers:
    Leadership
    Tactical Maneuvering
    Heroics
    Resilience
    Super Combo Attack
    Soulbound weapon
    Weapon upgrade
    Weapon Upgrade
    Weapon Upgrade
    Multi-Soul
    --------------------

Cora is largely built around working with others. Leadership, Tactical Maneuvering, and Super Combo Attack display this well. Also as she's got some experience, she's got 1 more power slot. Heroics good for applying or removing non-specific status effects and Cora will often use this with a team member to weaken enemies or strengthen allies. Resilience is a good all around ability that most in a more mechanics laden version should have 1 of. It very quickly becomes the difference between chump and still standing. The rest of Cora's powers are dropped into making her weapon. As it has Multisoul, it has two forms. And as its fully upgraded, it has 5 slots of powers for it. I'd give most of the RWBY cast a build like this especially Ruby and Yang. Blake might not have as much power but she trades it for a 3rd weapon form.

----------------
    Gatling Axe (4 points, legendary)
    Fire Aura
    Elemental Force
    Multi-Attack
    Cursed

Naginata & Rocket Spear
    Protection
    Haste
    Fire Eater
    Shining
    ---------------------

Her first form is largely for demolishing groups of grimm. Its most effective vs small groups (like the 4-5 beowolves each of the girls faced on their fieldtrip) and if anything survives the fire and pain, they're weakened in their own special tricks.
    Her second form is more defensive and designed to let her get into position for moves or attacks. And as she has Quick Draw on the invisible here, she can shift at the start of her turn from one to the other as needed.

I hope this helps with getting a better idea of things.
    John

Lord Mattson, LM, Matts, its all the same.
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sanborn View Post
    Not sure what Jax was meaning by his comment about the weapons. I do have Multisoul and two Soulbound Weapons, so my understand was that is what I needed to use both weapons. I added the Quickdraw that you said was included in order to be able to use the transforming capability of the weapon. Also, your comment about the Light, Matts? Was that instead of Quickdraw, or was that in relation to my weapon in some way?
    Multisoul gives you access to X+1 weapons of strength Y, where X is the number of times you purchase Multisoul, and Y is the number of times you purchase Soulbound Weapon. Well, technically, there's a power name for 'make the weapon more powerful' but I'm at work and it's not coming to mind. The overall point is, Multisoul gives you extra weapons at the full strength of the base weapon you purchased.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    So, my weapon transforms between Bow and Polearm. If I'm understanding correctly, I would need one Multisoul to use both weapons at full potential. I did give myself multisoul and two Soulbound weapons. Each one had the base of one power, since I didn't have any weapon upgrades. Do I have the correct powers selected for my weapon?
    ...to the topTop

So, my weapon transforms between Bow and Polearm. If I'm understanding correctly, I would need one Multisoul to use both weapons at full potential. I did give myself multisoul and two Soulbound weapons. Each one had the base of one power, since I didn't have any weapon upgrades. Do I have the correct powers selected for my weapon?
    No, multisoul is what gives you extra weapons. Two purchases of soulbound weapon (or rather, Soulbound Weapon plus Weapon Upgrade) gives you a weapon strength of 2 points. So you have 2 weapons (or, narratively, one weapon with two forms) thanks to Multisoul, each of which can have 2 points' worth of power put into them.
    ...to the topTop

When you get Soulbound weapon, you gain a 'magical' or personal weapon of awesomeness and you can upgrade its weapon slots via weapon upgrade. When you purchase Multisoul, you gain a second or second form for the weapon of awesomeness (its also a gun). This second form has the same number of weapon slots (if you got upgrade one, it'd have 2 slots, upgrade 2 would give 3, upgrade 3 would give 5). If you got Multisoul 2, you'd have 3 weapon forms (such as Pyrrha does - sword, rifle, and spear) and all would have the same number of slots. Each form doesn't have to have its slots filled the same way (one might be good for solos and use fire but another might be good for teams and weakening targets).

My comment about the light was an idea for your semblance trait as I am not sure I see the semblance tie in that line.

Some questions from her background. I guess they'd be considered the seeds.

What caused the riot that got out of hand in her home village, that caused the death of her father and brother? Was there a person behind it? Was it just something that got out of hand? What happened to her other brother after he left the village? Is he still alive? Is he still with the White Fang?

Certainly open to more ideas, suggestions and clarifications.
    And yes, those questions certainly qualify for Seeds. Seeds don't have to be in question form. You give good personal seeds there as not everyone would be interested in the riot but it matters to you. Group seeds are more ones that matter to the party as a whole (think Torchwick's agenda from the show) while Setting seeds are large scale issues that can impact personally too but can hit everyone (Cinder's plans for instance.) And yes, personal seeds can snake together with group and setting ones but some may be little side bits on some level. A lot of the deal with seeds is to have the players say 'GM, we want to look at this' and give the GM a grab bag to pull form. Not all may get used and some might surprise you and some might merge together to a setting seed you didn't even know existed.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    I think I have it now. I need one Soulbound Weapon for my weapon, One Multisoul to allow for the switching between the two weapons, and can use Weapon Upgrade to enhance my weapons beyond one. I'm going to revisit my powers based on the new information. Most likely, I'm just going to swap out the extra soulbound weapon with a weapon upgrade to get two weapon powers. I'll have to see how it works out. As for the tie-in trait and the light reference to it, I see what you mean now. That is something else I'll look at. Any other ideas, comments, or suggestions are certainly welcome. I'm excited about this.
    ...to the topTop

Another trick is drop Quicken and put Haste (its a 2 slot power) into one of the weapon forms. That means Quicken's effect is on you so long as the weapon is in that form. And of course, use the new free spot to get Weapon Upgrade 2 so you have 3 slots.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Third time's the charm? We'll see. Let me know if anything needs adjusting or clarifying.

Name: Amber Artemis
    Concept: Carefree Archer Cat Faunus
    Passion: Compassion
    Symbol: Narrow slit cat's eye with two concentric rings in the center of the pupil (as if a target in the center of the eye)

Trait 1 (Semblance): Enjoy life and all it has to offer.
    Trait 2 (Complication): Prejudice from humans that take away the joy.
    Trait 3 (PC Tie): Be a light to others, and help with cooperation.

Skill Rank 4: Archery
    Skill Rank 3: Melee Weapons
    Skill Rank 2: Acrobatics

Basic Stats:
    Wounds: 0 0 0 (how many hits you can take before being out of the fight)
    Action Limit: 10 (max number of dice in your Action Pool)
    Strike Limit: 6 (max number of Strike dice you can use at once)
    Charge Limit: 6 (max number of dice in your Charge Pool)
    Defense: 2 (number of successes needed to inflict a wound, succ/2 round down to get wounds)

Power 0: Quickdraw
    Power 1: Darksight
    Power 2: Maneuver Boost
    Power 3: Resilience
    Power 4: Chain Lightning
    Power 5: Zap
    Power 6: Multisoul
    Power 7: Soulbound Weapon
    Power 8: Weapon Upgrade
    Power 9: Weapon Upgrade

Weapon: "Realta"
    Collapsed State (Non-weapon) - Folded over, hangs from belt
    Compound Bow State
    - Shock Aura
    - Multi-strike
    - Protection
    Bladed Pole Arm State
    - Power Strike
    - Haste

Description:

Amber is a year older than most freshmen. Her hair is long and black, often worn in a pony-tail, with two yellow bows to tie off the hair, one at her neck, the other at the bottom of the ponytail. In contrast to her hair, her ears are white in color. They are larger than other cat faunus ears, and she does nothing to hide them. Instead, she has two amber jeweled earrings in each ear to draw attention to them. Her clothing of choice, when not in her school uniform, tends to be bright white and yellow colored tops and skirts that go down just above her knees. Her weapon, "Realta" hangs from a belt on her waist in its folded state.

Background:

Amber is the youngest of three, and was born in a village in the Alpina Hills. Her mother owned a bakery in the village, while her father was one of the village protectors, despite having never been an official hunter. Her older brothers were twins, and were ten years older than she was. When she was eight, her brothers joined the White Fang, which was a peaceful organization at that time. They wanted to see change, and were quite vocal about it. The two were often getting into trouble for taking things too far. Four years later, a fight broke out between humans and a the faunus in the village. Her father went with others to try to restore the peace. When the fighting was done, her father and one of her brothers were dead. In the year that followed, her other brother grew more angry and more brooding before finally leaving the village completely. Amber, nor her mother, knew what happened to him. After that, Amber and her mother moved to the city outside Liddle Academy. Her mother opened up a new bakery in the city, but kept her ears hidden to avoid any trouble. Amber didn't like having to hide, and thought that becoming a huntress would be the way to help bring peace. Her training from her father and brothers helped her get into a fighting school to better prepare for the academy. She was denied the first year she tried to apply, but was not discouraged by it. The following year she was approved, which is why she's a year older than her classmates.
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast