Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sari & Kari

Even though Varash favored them, the twins weren't used to being addressed formally. They were not of noble birth. They were just treasure hunters, after all. They knew Varash's place in their world and did believe, like the rest of the people, that if their queen trusted anyone, it was him. Belenus hated working in the palace, he was such a young boy. Too young to already have a job but Kari had no choice but to let him serve the queen. The only other option for her son had been death after Kari's husband had been killed. Despite how horrible this place, living was still better then the alternative. The sisters listened carefully to what Varash said and he would be able to tell neither liked the idea of Belenus living even deeper in the palace or having to work for him. They didn't like their queen but they didn't trust Varash either. He was just the lesser of the two evils...Both twins felt Varash had something planned but would never dare to question him. Sari whispered to Kari.

"You found the book, it's your choice."

She'd support whatever her sister decided to do. Kari thought a brief moment and held up the book to Varash to grab.

"I will do anything for my son, Lord Varash."

August

August had grown up in the palace but he wasn't a noble. Instead, he was from a long line of stable masters. His father had been one and his grandfather before him. And so on and so on. It seemed that understanding and caring for horses ran in August's family. Especially the queen's horse. That animal terrified almost everyone who worked in the stables. August was a little scared of the nightmarish horse himself but as stable master, it was his duty to personally care for the queen's horse. She probably loved that animal more then anything else in the world. It was something from a nightmare, with blood red eyes and solid black hair. It was also very intelligent. More so then any horse August had seen before. He had worked in the stables since he was old enough to carry a bucket, he knew horses were smart animals but this creature, it was something different. He had seen the look the horse had given Lord Varash. Like he knew exactly what the lord had planned. August wondered if Varash was going to see what the twin sisters had found as he brushed the horse's black fur. Hoping it wasn't going to go into its active state thanks to the lord. Kari's son worked for August in the stables but he had been friends with the women for years. Belenus' father, Gustav, had been his friend as well and he had been saddened at his death. He tried to keep a close eye on the boy and if the world had been a better one, then August probably would have made it clear to Sari how deep his feelings for her ran. He cared about Belenus and Kari but he was in love with Sari. Once her sister's husband had been killed, she told him that it was better they were friends. All Kari had left was Belenus and she didn't want to go through that. She couldn't bear the thought of them getting married and losing him. It had broken his heart but he accepted it. He tried his best to keep Belenus safe, especially since he spent more time in the stables then with his own mother. He realized that he'd have to have a talk with the one boy for running from Varash. He was only ten but that wouldn't matter to the lord. He was just as bad as the queen at times. He gave the nightmare horse some food and found the boy hiding in a stall.

"What you did was disrespectful and very foolish. He is the queen's most trusted adviser, you cannot leave his presence without being dismissed."

The boy swallowed hard when August found him.

"I know but...Mister August, he's so scary."

The boy said, looking and sounding a lot younger then ten at the moment. August knew Varash was scary. He had been scared of him when he was boy and he didn't like anymore now that he was a grown man. He especially didn't like the way Varash would look at Sari and Kari. He was old enough to be their grandfather. Still, he couldn't say what he truly thought or think it often. People who did, didn't live to talk about it much longer. He had a job to do and part of it was to keep a promise to an old friend. The night Gustav had been sentenced to death, August had promised to always protect his family.

"That might be but you will be punished when he returns and you must accept it."

Which August didn't like, the boy was a child but he knew Varash was not kind. Nor was their queen...He told the boy he'd send word to his parents. Perhaps one of the parents would take the child's place. Not that the offer would matter if Varash or the queen wanted to truly see the child pay for this. Belenus found him and told him

"All the horses have food. Will my mom and Aunt Sari get to come visit today?"

Belenus missed his mother and aunt. They tried to visit him often but the queen didn't care much for family relations. August smiled at the boy and said.

"Hopefully."

He knew the twins tried to see him as much as they could but the queen often sent them to the chambers to hunt for treasures. He suggest Belenus and the boy go make sure all the horses had fresh water and he went back to tending to the queen's horse. When he returned to the nightmare horse, it seemed to be still looking out the distance. Like it was trying to figure out what Varash was up to. Thankfully it wasn't angry and the stables weren't in danger of going up in flames right now.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 01-14-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Varash

Varish smiled as he takes the spell book.

"Very good. Now I suggest you find something to the appease the queen, then meet me at the stables after the evening meal. We'll take care of the rest of the arrangements at that time."

Without waiting for a response, he put the book in a pouch, turned his horse and rode back to the palace. Everything was coming together better than he hoped. He had the spell book, and soon he would have the twins as well. The time of the queen was nearing its end, and soon he would be the new ruler with this first two concubines. Perhaps he might make them his queens, but that was yet to be seen.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

Sari & Kari

The moment Varash took the book from her, Kari wondered if she had made the wrong decision. Varash might be the lesser of the two evils in their world but he was not a good man...Still, she had saw no other option with Belenus' life on the line. She meant it when she said she'd do anything for her son but she had a feeling Varash was going to see how far that truly meant. Sari knew it was well. Both bowed to Varash and replied.

"Yes, my lord."

They said, almost in unison. He was right, they needed to bring something back to the queen. They watched him ride off and Sari said.

"We should go back and get the gold. It's not a lot but-"

"Do you think it was a bad idea to give him the book?"

Kari asked, cutting her sister off. Sari bit her lip a moment and replied.

"I...You didn't have a choice."

"I know but..."

Sari reached over and squeezed Kari's shoulder.

"We have to protect Belenus. Anything for him, remember?"

Kari nodded her head but it didn't make her feel much better.

"Yeah but..."

"No buts. We do anything for him even if it means making the lord...'happy'."

Sari replied but she didn't like the idea of that. She zipped up her shirt, she didn't like him leering at her and she had a feeling if he got what he wanted, he'd want to do more than that. Kari zipped up her own shirt as well. She didn't like the idea of Varash touching her with a twenty foot pole.

"I don't like that idea at all."

"Me neither but let's not think of it right now."

Sari said and Kari agreed. They headed back to Kapo's chamber to grab the gold they had left behind.

Blog Entries

Varash

Varash rode back to the stables with a smile on his face. The discovery and acquisition of the spellbook as well as the agreement with the twins was one of the best things to have happened in a long time. So happy was he, he completely forgot about the disrespect of the boy. The sight of the nightmare as he approached, though, immediately took the smile off his face. That stallion knew something. Why else was it staring through him in such a way? There could be no other explanation.

He kept watching the nightmare as the nightmare watched him. As he got closer to the stable, he saw the stable master in the stall, tending to the stallion. He didn't know the man's name, nor did he care. It was only important that he speak to him about the boy that he was to take into his charge.

"You! Stableman! I need to speak with you."
    Last edited by Jason Sanborn; 01-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.

August

The nightmare horse knew before August did that Lord Varash had returned. The horse perked up and August was sure he would not like talking to the lord. He didn't like him, never had, but he would not disrespect him. It was foolish to do so. He nodded his head and set down the brush he had been using.

"Yes, my lord."

August replied, assuming that Varash wanted to talk to him about the stable boy who had ran earlier. August was the stable master and was in charge of all the boys that worked here. He ordered one of the older stable boys to tend to Lord Varash's horse. He could see the way the nightmare and the lord were staring at each other and was sure that Varash did not want to speak in front of the creature.

"We can speak privately in my office."

He told the lord, not that his office was grand or anything. It was a simple little room and that suited his needs just fine. He mostly used it to just keep track of ordering supplies for the horses.

Blog Entries

Varash

Varash used a nearby hay bale to aid in his dismount from his mare. He raised an eyebrow when the stable master mentioned an office. What would the slave help need with an office? He said nothing, though. He simply took the pouch off the horse, slung it over his shoulder, and followed the stable master. When they did arrive in the "office," Varash grinned sightly. This was just a tiny room, little more than a closet. This did seem to be quite a suitable "office" for the help.

Not one to waste time on idle chat with the help, Varash went into his demands immediately. "I've entered into an agreement with Sari and Kari. I want you to see that their boy is properly cleaned. I don't wish him to be dirty or smelling like horse when I return here to claim him. You have until just after the evening meal to make sure that he is presentable and properly obedient." August would understand the unspoken threat as well. Failure to comply by either of them would lead to punishment for both.

August

August caught Varash's look when he said he had an office. It might not be very large, but it served August's needs well enough. He kept meticulous records of the expenses for the stables. He never dared to spend all of his monthly allowance on the horses. He didn't want to be accused of wasting the royal funds. A part of him was glad that Lord Varash didn't want to waste any time with small talk, August had no desire to "chat" with the man. When he told August the deal he made with the twins, August's jaw tightened. He saw the way Varash would leer at Sari and Kari and August didn't like it at all. Although he hadn't had a romantic relationship with Sari in about five years, he still loved her and he cared a lot about Kari and Belenus. Still, like the good servant he was, he didn't voice what he truly thought. Instead, he just nodded his head.

"Yes, my lord. I will have Belenus ready."

Which would no doubt upset the boy. He and August were close. August was almost like an uncle to the boy and often told him stories about his father. He was sure Belenus would not like working for Varash.

Blog Entries

Varash

Varash gave a sharp nod to August then turned and walked out of the office. There was no need to say anything more, the order was given and he knew that it would be obeyed. He had every intention of walking straight out of the stables and back to his chambers in the palace. Instead, he stopped next to the nightmare's stall. He didn't know why he stopped there. He turned his head to look at the dark stallion. The stallion was looking straight into his eyes. Varash didn't understand why he stopped or why he and the stallion were staring at each other. Anyone witnessing this, would only see Varah looking at the nightmare, but saw no outward indication of anything else.

"Stable man! Deal with this beast!" Varash shouted and turned his head forward again and marched out of the stables, a little disquieted from his latest encounter with the nightmare. He could feel the stallion watching him from behind as he walked back to the palace.

Sari & Kari

As the twins made their way back to Kapo's chamber, Kari kept going over the deal they had made with Lord Varash in her head. She meant it when she said that she'd do anything for Belenus. He was her son, there was no question how deep her love for him ran or how far she'd go to protect him. But she did feel bad, she roped her sister into this. Varash had never made a secret of how attractive he thought the sisters were and Kari was sure with this new deal, he'd eventually want to do more then just look...The idea of that old man touching her disgusted Kari but she'd please him, if it kept Belenus alive. He was her reason for living. She told Sari.

"Sari, I'm sorry. I-"

"Stop saying you're sorry."

Sari replied, annoyed that her sister kept apologizing. She was used to it, of course. Kari constantly apologized, even after the other party told her there was no need. Sari was the more stubborn of the twins and she had a stubborn look on her face.

"What's done is done, we can't take it back now."

Sari said and Kari knew that was true. To do so...Lord Varash would surely kill Belenus. Kari had lost Gustav, she couldn't lose their son. Belenus was all she had left of him and in many ways, he was just like his father. Kari sighed.

"I know but...I'd rather you didn't have to-"

"Hey, we've always had each other's backs, remember?"

Sari said and Kari nodded her head.

"Yeah, since day one."

"Right. And you know I'd never let you and Belenus serve him on your own."

Sari replied and Kari nodded her head again. That was true. Sari would never let that happen. Life wasn't great here but the sisters had always had each other's backs.

"I know....August is going to hate this."

Kari said and this it was Sari who nodded her head.

"He will but there's nothing he can do about it."

Not unless he wanted to be killed and Sari certainly hoped he didn't have a death wish. While they no longer dated, Sari had never stopped loving him. He was a good man and he didn't deserved to be killed. Too many good people got killed around here. She always thought August's odds of survival were higher here because he was in charge of taking care of the queen's nightmare horse.

"Yeah..."

Kari sighed and Sari put her arm around her sister's shoulders.

"Hey, it'll all be okay."

As okay as it could be with the queen and Lord Varash around.

"I hope so..."

Kari said and Sari hoped so as well. They headed into Kapo's chamber and grabbed the bag of gold. It wasn't much but maybe it would please the queen a little.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast