Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding text?

Hiding text?

Hiding text?

Does anyone know if the forum system Q&Q uses allows us to hide some of the text within a post, so it's only visible when we want it to be visible? The main ways I've seen are to make it the same color as the background, and to hide it until the reader clicks to reveal it. I didn't see any provision for either here, but I didn't really know where to look or anything. So I figured asking wouldn't hurt.

I'm asking because I might need a place to bring some book-related discussion, and hiding text that would spoil the surprises in the parts folks haven't read is generally considered important in book-related discussion.

I don't think we have a tag that hides text...Which is a shame because another forum I'm on let's you do spoiler tags.

Yeah, some of the places I've hung out have ways to hide text. It's certainly convenient when I can.

I'll just have to figure it out. I'm sure if I figure it out, I'll find times to use it. You'd need some variation of the way we do it on Usenet. That's such and old and simple system, you don't have much to work with except ASCHII... and space. Lots of space; as much as I've ever tried to use. So we'd start a post with a statement about what story might be spoiled, then filled it with enough mostly-blank space to fill a screen, or nearly so. We figured that should give folks a decent chance to stop scrolling and move to the next post if they wanted to. Actually, we could do this significantly less drastically, since only the first few lines are quoted where it displays new posts. Fill that with non-spoilers, and folks have to click thru one way or another to start. Even if they come from a place that doesn't display the opening lines, they'd at least have that area and it's warnings before the spoilers. It's not perfect, but it's something.

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have added a spoiler tag

[ spoiler ] spoil this [ / spoiler]

spoil this

Thanks! That will help!

Blog Entries
    You're welcome

Thanks for adding the spoiler tag.

Thanks, Lairston.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome guys

So...

Testing, and another thanks.

So... is there a place that lists what tags work here? I've mainly been using the buttons, and I don't find the spoiler tag on the buttons. Not that I can't learn it; just that learning where to look it up again is part of learning it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast