Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Gossamer

Elysia: The Secundae Orphanage

"Alright," Gossamer said, putting a cheerful fake smile on her face.

Even if she hadn't needed to keep up her act, taking a tour of the premises was a logical first step. Allasayne kept trying draw her attention to the baby facilities, and Gossamer nodded politely each time, but she was paying little attention to that - if she had her way, she'd get her baby out of here before there was any need of that, and if things went badly she wouldn't be free or possibly even alive to have an opinion on her child's future either way. What Gossamer was looking for were exits, windows, sight lines, points of defense. Weaknesses she could exploit, either for temporary exits or her permanent one.

She wondered how difficult it would be to send a message to the outside. At least with the "volunteering" story, people would know where she was being kept.

As Allasayne prepared to leave Gossamer with Doviana, she grabbed Gossamer's arm again. This time she didn't whisper. "Don't forget your betrothed, Gossamer," Allasayne said. "He has been quite the gentleman, delaying the consummation of your union at your request, but he won't wait forever. He will send for you sooner or later. Do whatever you must to make yourself ready." She gave a scathing glance to Gossamer's midsection, even though the young goddess was not showing at all yet. "Obviously the issue isn't your deep commitment to virginity, so whatever it is, figure it out!"

Allasayne's tone quickly switched back to sweet, as she told Doviana, "Thank you so much for being willing to take care of our dear girl. I hope she behaves better for you than she has for us."
    Last edited by Sojourn; 02-04-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Doviana

Doviana could tell that Gossamer was faking her cheerfulness. More was going with the young First, then what Allasyane was letting on. Doviana gave the tour, showing both goddesses the facilities and introducing them to the orphans. The children seemed pretty happy about the idea of new person coming here. Most of them, especially the younger ones, were always thrilled to meet new people.

When it was time to send Allasayne on her way, Doviana frowned listening to what she told Gossamer.

"You're welcome."

She replied, not as capable of forming a fake, happy smile.

"I'm sure we'll get along fine."

Once Allasayne was gone, Doviana turned to Gossamer.

"Tell me the truth. You want to keep your baby, don't you?"
    ...to the topTop

Gossamer

As Allasayne walked out the door, she made an offhand comment that one of the guards would bring Gossamer's luggage over from the guest house. Gossamer just nodded and smiled again - but the smile was the first genuine one that had been on her face since her arrival at the orphanage. She had hopes for who would volunteer for luggage toting duty.

Daviona's question took Gossamer by surprise, and brought her up short. She paused for a moment, undecided about what to do. Most people on Grace were out for themselves alone and served only their own interests, but Gossamer knew not everyone in the universe was like that. Someone who had devoted her life to caring for orphans with no apparent reward other than the children's happiness might be someone who would care about injustices. A person like that might be an ally - probably unwilling to intervene, but maybe choosing not to deliberately obstruct Gossamer's plans.

On the other hand, Gossamer couldn't be sure. If she admitted her wishes, it might make Daviona watch her more carefully, or even make her suspicious that Gossamer would try to take the child.

Gossamer let the silence hang in the air while she weighed the possibilities and consequences. An ally now was worth the possibility of a misstep, she finally decided. If she was wrong, she would have months to repair the damage and convince Daviona that she had changed her mind.

"I do," she said matter-of-factly. "But my wishes won't be considered in the matter."

That should cover both bases, Gossamer thought. If she had to, she could simply pretend to be resigned to her fate regardless.
    ...to the topTop

Doviana & Sojourn

"I see. Well, I will try my best to see that your wish does happen."

Doviana replied. Far too many children were unwanted for one reason or another in this universe. It was wrong to the goddess to take a child from a mother that did want it. She would do everything in her power to help Gossamer keep her child. She didn't promise she would keep them together, though. Only that she would try. She was in charge of taking care of orphans, not a powerful ruler. While she could try to sway the Council to let Gossamer keep her child, they may not want to interfere. They generally didn't in personal matters like that.

"I also will not ask you about situation between your betrothed and the baby's father. That is your own business."

Obviously her betrothed did not father the child. If he did, why would Allasayne wanted Gossamer to get rid of the child? It must be quite a scandal that Gossamer had created back in her home world.

"But do know is Allasayne actually not my friend. I believe she has very few, if any, in the universe."

Doviana added, hoping that might let Gossamer realize she could trust her a little. Although, trust took time. Doviana knew that very well. In fact, she was used to those living in the orphanage having trust issues. Sojourn certainly did. Especially since she grew feeling abandoned. Sometimes, Doviana debated telling the Secundae the truth, that the reason she hadn't been adopted was because her mother said she'd come back. But then Doviana thought that would only make her more angry.

Sojourn had spent time in the woods, practicing her archery. She wished she would ascend, so that way she could leave the orphanage. Then she wouldn't have to see any more kids get a family. Something she'd never have. Of course, it didn't happen. Instead, she headed back towards the orphanage. It would be time for dinner soon and she promised Doviana she'd be back.

Sojourn was surprised to see Gossamer there. The young goddess was not a Secundae. Doviana smiled to Sojourn and told Gossamer.

"This is Sojourn. Sojourn, this is Gossamer. She is the Goddess of Spite and will be staying with us for a while."

"Oh....Nice to meet you."

Sojourn replied, wondering exactly why Gossamer would be staying at the orphanage if she wasn't a Secundae. She looked about the same age as her. Lucky girl, though, she had ascended. So she didn't have to be stuck here, unless she had something to hide.
    ...to the topTop

Gossamer

"Thank you," Gossamer told Daviona. She didn't have particularly high hopes that Daviona would be able to do anything, or would even try once she realized the extent of the situation - but it sounded like caretaker at least wouldn't actively obstruct her, which was the best Gossamer could have expected.

She nodded again when Daviona said she wouldn't ask about her betrothed or the baby's father. It was certainly safer for Daviona that way. Of course, Daviona might reconsider her choice not to inquire further when Gossamer's betrothed actually showed up to claim her... but at that point it wouldn't matter. She had already resigned herself that she wouldn't put up a fight about going when he finally ran out of patience with her delaying tactics. There were some things even Gossamer had to accept were inevitable, and this she couldn't prevent. Not if she wanted to keep her life, let alone her child. A son of Ares would not be denied.

Gossamer knew that the smart choice would have been to seduce Phobos as soon as she suspected she was pregnant and claim the baby was his, but she couldn't bring herself to do something so vile. Even if it caused more trouble in the long run, she had to hold onto some semblance of self-respect. Phobos might insist on marrying her eventually, but she wasn't going to make it a day sooner than it had to be.

She smiled reflexively when she was introduced to Sojourn. The young woman seemed pleasant enough, but Gossamer wasn't expecting to make any friends here. True friends weren't an easy thing to obtain.

"Nice to meet you too," Gossamer said. Trying to make conversation, she asked, "Have you lived here long? Or did they send you here because you're pregnant too?"
    Last edited by Sojourn; 02-04-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    ...to the topTop

Sojourn

Doviana replied that Gossamer was welcome and excused herself. She knew the younger orphans would have lots of questions about Gossamer and she figured she might as well talk to them before the young First headed in. Besides, she thought it would be good for Gossamer and Sojourn to talk. They were about the same age. Maybe they could be friends. Sojourn was always nice to the kids but she didn't have any friends her own age. And it seemed like Gossamer could definitely use a friend. It could do both young women some good.

Sojourn smiled back at Gossamer, which quickly disappeared when she asked if Sojourn was pregnant too. Sojourn shook her head.

"No, definitely not pregnant."

It get pregnant she'd have to find a guy first. Not easy to do since she was stuck here and there weren't any age appropriate males around the orphanage.

"I was given up as baby."

And obviously not good enough to be adopted since she was still here. She frowned.

"Are you here so you can have the baby and other people not know?"

Sojourn had seen other goddesses do that in the past. Come to the orphanage to hide their unwanted pregnancies. Give birth in secret and then expect Doviana to find them new homes. Is that what her mother had done? It wasn't right to do that. Especially if they hid the babies from the fathers. Did her father even know about her, she wondered. Did her mother keep her a secret from him? Or did he decide he didn't want her either? The Secundae had so many questions but she'd probably never know the answers.
    ...to the topTop

Nicolai

When Allasayne came looking for a guard to haul Gossamer's luggage to the orphanage, Nicolai made sure to make himself available - but not to seem overly eager for such a menial task. Fortunately, Allasayne was just looking for anyone in the appropriate uniform and didn't appear to notice which guard was toting the suitcases. As usual, those who served were beneath the notice of most in more favored positions.

Bringing the guards to Elysia in the first place had been the source of some disagreement. The guards were, after all, not quite gods. Ares had pointed out, though, that nor were they mortals anymore, and the Family of War had been allowed to take their odd retinue with them, so they wouldn't have to go without being waited on during their visit.

Nicolai was careful not to pay too much attention to Gossamer when he arrived at the orphanage. She was speaking with another young woman, and he greeted her with a brief "My lady" and averted eyes as he passed through the room with her suitcases. She didn't acknowledge him at all.

When he got to the room she would be sleeping in, he set her suitcases down and then - as quietly as he could move - he tested her bedroom window. It opened without much noise and without resistance. Good. He made sure to leave it unlocked, and quickly memorized its position along the building wall. Then he tucked a scrap of paper that said "midnight" between the window and the sill.

All this took less than two minutes, then Nicolai was back out the front door after a brief nod and a thank you to Daviona.
    ...to the topTop

Gossamer

"Something like that," Gossamer said.

She could have just left it at that. Probably should have. But even Gossamer got weary sometimes of how few people she actually had to talk to. What could it hurt?

"They betrothed me to a man who is pretty important back on my planet. Being pregnant with someone else's child kind of wrecks the whole 'virgin bride' illusion. No one back home knows. Not even our gods. Not my betrothed. No one here outside of the orphanage knows either. I thought I was hiding it pretty well, but being in close quarters with me while we were traveling, Allasayne figured it out. She said she was going to send my baby here, but I figured if I volunteered to stay, I could get her off my back for awhile. So, how is it here? Is Daviona as decent as she seems? How tight of a leash do they keep us on?"

Gossamer figured she might as well ask while she had an inside source. She needed to find some way to get out, at least for a short time. There was a conversation she desperately needed to have.
    ...to the topTop

Sojourn

Neither Sojourn nor Doviana paid Nicolai much mind. Doviana had been polite to him, but her focus was on making sure the younger children understood, as best they could, why Gossamer would be staying with them. Sojourn nodded her head to Gossamer. She had feeling there was a lot more to the story about that baby and the father. She was surprised when Gossamer told her about her engagement.

"It sounds like you don't want to marry him."

Sojourn had spent her whole life in Elysia. Sheltered in the orphanage from the outside universe. She didn't realize they were planets were you could be forced to marry people you didn't want to. Or that they were planets in which the gods were quite cruel to their citizens. When Gossamer asked about Doviana, Sojourn replied.

"She's a good person. She has her hands full with all the kids, but she isn't cruel. She cares and...She'd never take a baby from someone who wants it."

No one was perfect, not even a god, but Doviana wasn't evil either. She was genuinely a nice person. Sojourn believed that if Gossamer wanted to keep her baby, Doviana would try to help her.

"Of course, you'd have more freedom then I do here. You're a First and I'm still a Secundae. Secundae only get to leave if they either get adopted or they ascend."

Sojourn was waiting for ascension now, because she knew she was far too old for anyone to want to adopt now. Doviana called out it was time for dinner.

"We better head in and eat."
    ...to the topTop

Hera

Two cloaked figures were watching the Orphanage from a distance. They were Hera, the Goddess of Marriage, and Hades, the God of the Underworld.

"What are we doing here, Hades? I thought you said you finally found a way to break the seal on that planet."

She didn't understand what some orphanage on Elysia, the home world of these new, weaker gods, had to do with getting into the Saber Vortex. That's where Zeus was. He was nice and safe there, especially since there was a protection spell on the planet. Cast after their failed attempt to destroy the planet and kill him. That was ten years ago. Hera and Hades could hold a grudge for a very long time, though. They hadn't given up on getting their revenge on Zeus and his new family. Good things came to those who could wait.
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast