Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Nicolai was a bit surprised to hear that Dumar's mother was a mortal - although perhaps he shouldn't have been. After all, Nicolai himself was married to a goddess, even though he was... whatever he was. Not mortal anymore, though he had been once, back before the Family of War had magically tinkered with him to create a better servant. Now he was something different, their creation even though he had existed before their intervention. Truth be told, it bothered him a little that he could never escape their influence that was now deeply physically ingrained in him, but there was nothing to be done about it, either then or now. He couldn't have prevented it, and now it couldn't be changed.

"Well, this gives me a lot to research," Nicolai said. "The talisman, the Negation, this ship... I'll see what I can find, and let you know if I turn up anything productive in the library."

Nicolai was sure that between all the diverse and arcane volumes in the library's collection, there had to be something.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Optimus Prime

Optimus was quiet as he listened to Dumar and Nicolai talk. Although he caught Nicolai's expression when Dumar compared the Family of War and the Negation. Optimus knew he was fortunate. His mother's protection spell protected the Saber Vortex from great threats. The planet had no suffered a major attack since the attack that had killed his mother. And any fights he had with his uncle Cid's family had been on his terms. He wasn't one to speak about suffering, since he had been raised and lived in a safe world. Still, he didn't think anyone should say one person's suffering was greater then another's. He missed his mother greatly but he was sure there were those that would say he didn't know what loss was because of how he lived.

"Dumar, no offense, but I don't think it is fair to say what the Family of War has done is less then what the Negation does. You both have suffered greatly and...Well, I don't think it is fair to compare the two. The Negation took your world from you, but the Family of War took a lot from Nicolai and his family, and many like him, too."

He said, diplomatically. He viewed Nicolai as his friend. He didn't think because Nicolai was a mortal that he was lesser being then him. He truly hoped that his cousin did not either, because Optimus would not tolerate people, even a distant cousin, disrespecting one of his friends that way. When Dumar said he hoped to eventually do a joint venture about the gate system, Optimus nodded his head.

"We should do that. I will admit, I know little of it and I know Cid doesn't know much more. It already existed here while he still ruled Olympus as Zeus."

They both knew it shouldn't fall into wrong hands and kept guards posted at it. As what was always done as far as Optimus knew.

"And I'm not naive, I know any spell, even one as powerful as my mother casted, could be broken someday."

Although he hoped it didn't. It kept the Saber Vortex safe and allowed him to give safe haven to his new friends. People who needed second chances at life. When Dumar spoke of his mother, Optimus said.

"My mother always said she was happy that Ayla was happy. Although she did miss her cooking."

Ayla had been the name of Dumar's mother. Optimus had only met her after she had become Iskani's queen. Although his own mother had been fond of her. Rory had been an orphan, she thought no one had to just accept their station in life. They could be anything they wanted to be. And that love knew no titles or bounds. She had been an orphan that fell in love with a king. She certainly didn't judge any mortals and immortals that also fell in love.

Optimus nodded his head to Nicolai.

"It does sound like a lot. If you need help, let me know. Dumar, you're welcome to stay here as long as you would like. As can your friend."

He knew the amount of information Nicolai would be researching would take some time, it definitely couldn't happen overnight. Dumar and Max could stay as long as they desired. He didn't think there was much more they could do right now. Research took time. He looked down at the talisman in Cid's hand and said telepathically to his uncle, who was quietly listening to them.

~Are you ever going to use this and ask about your daughters?~
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; 10-07-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Cid had honestly zoned out. It wasn't intentional but he had been lost in his own thoughts as the three men talked. He was sure the Negation was a great threat. They had to be to take a whole world. If not for Rory's spell, they might have attacked this world as well. But...His thoughts were on Olympus. His own fallen world. It fell for a different reason. Not because of a would be conqueror from another universe, but because of Hera and Hades. He thought of his family, how the ones he knew were living were the Family of War. Of the horrible things Gossamer and Nicolai told him they had done. He thought of the things he should have done differently. Perhaps, if he had been a better king, a better brother, a better husband, none of it would have happened. So many innocent people wouldn't have suffered if he had just been a better man.

He was lost in the feelings of guilt until Optimus' telepathic message broke him out of it. He squeezed the talisman and replied.

He would ask soon, once he felt he was ready for the answer. Would he ever be ready or it? He wanted to know what became of Athena and Hebe but he was also nervous. He was afraid they were lost to him, like Olympus was.

~I'll ask once we're done here.~

He added, knowing he couldn't avoid it forever.

Dumar nodded at Optimus.

"No, your quite right Optimus. I've based all my knowledge
    an assumptions about the Family of war on what I've read about them....
    Nothing from first hand experience."

Dumar shook his head.

"Faith in a loved one is never naive, I wish I had more faith
    some days.... After my home was destroyed I've lost most of it.... Max, my work here
    and your support Optimus are all that have kept me going some days."

Dumar nodded at Optimus.

"Mother took her death pretty hard, she wasn't the same after....
    Mother always said they had an understanding or connection that others didn't understand
    Mother would never elaborate on it, even when Father asked.... She said it was trust among
    friends and a secret shared between them..... I always found when Mother spoke of Queen Rory
    it was more like a sister then a friend or a Royal. She still cooked from time to time...."

Dumar Smiled.

"I don't think you could get rid of Max now if you tried, This place
    feeds something in him that Olympus could not & it dampens his hatred of Hera... He was a
    mess when I first met him... His quest for vengeance & to save a woman, nearly destroyed him....
    He even went too Hell twice.... but both times never made it far before being stopped and tortured
    before he eventually escaped...."
    Trying to catch M in posts

Optimus Prime

Optimus nodded his head to Cid. It made sense to not use the talisman until they were finished here. He was glad that Dumar did realize that what he had said to Nicolai. He didn't believe it had been his cousin's intention to minimize what Nicolai had gone through. The Negation and Family of War were both horrible and their victims would remember what had happened to them for the rest of their lives.

"I have found it is best to never assume."Assuming was not a good thing. And he nodded his head about why Dumar would have trouble with faith. He had lost everything, his entire world. It had been hard enough for Optimus to lose his parents, he couldn't imagine losing everyone and everything you ever knew. He looked down when Dumar talked about Queen Rory.

"My mother touched many people's lives."

Although he had no idea how close Rory had been to Dumar's own mother. But it didn't surprise him that Ayla would have missed her. Rory had had quite an effect on everyone she met.

"I think, because she had been an orphan, she created family bonds with just about everyone she spent time with."

Rory had to create her own family and she had been very nurturing. Optimus could not have asked for a better mother. He missed her dearly. He hoped to someday be a parent like she had been.

When Dumar spoke about his companion.

"Well, there is more to life then vengeance. And you can tell him that he's not the only one tracking down Hera. We are as well."

Hera had committed enough crimes, they had to bring the Ancient Goddess to justice. With Hades by her side, Optimus didn't think it would be easy. But sometimes the easiest thing wasn't always the right thing to do either.

"Although, it sounds like he was been through a lot. Literally. Perhaps, a new start here would be good."

Like how his new friends had needed fresh starts. Optimus was sure his mother would be proud of him for letting people come to the Saber Vortex had get new beginnings. She had always said this planet had been her and Cid's new beginning. The first place that had truly felt like home to the late queen.

Dumar's expression changed rather quickly when Prince Optimus mentioned telling
    Max others where looking for Hera....

Dumar paused for a moment to collect himself.

"I apologize for my out burst... Max has finally started too act normally
    and think clearly.... He doesn't need to return too the shell of a person, driven by revenge..
    He's has made great strives here.... I must admit I was a little envious that Lord Cid had
    earned or garnered more info about this mystery woman he's talked about quite frequently....
    But then given who Lord Cid is on many level's I should not have been so surprised....
    Besides, Max is working on the restoration of the theater in honor of Queen Rory, Wouldn't
    want that too suffer ether."

Dumar Smiled as he thought of some of the designs Max had done.

"I Don't know if Lord Cid has had a chance too talk to you about it, But I
    belive it's some of Max's best work.... I'd say it will rival the Pantheons from their home
    world when the Theater is finishes... Actually Max has a beautiful plate crafted to sit
    above the main doors on in a place of prominence that simply says 'Rory's House'"

Dumar chuckled lightly a Prince Optimus's last comment.

"Max may appear in his twenty's, But that beard and Hair gives a hint
    of his true age.... Max is older then any of us in this room with the exception of Lord
    Cid... I.. I some times wonder what his nightmares are like.... My own are harsh, But there
    is light in them that I can potentially undo what happened.... His... He lived during a great
    era.... then watched it slowly erode into nothing.... How to fix that... I'd wouldn't know
    where too start... I think Max managed too cling too what sanity he could by focusing on
    what he could do something about.... Finding this mystery woman...."

Optimus Prime

Optimus was taken aback by Dumar's little outburst. He hadn't realized how his offer would come out. He didn't know how far gone Max's desire for revenge had taken him. Apparently, it was far darker then the young ruler had realized. The Secundae nodded his head.

"I understand. It's fine. Let him focus on the theater house."

He'd like to see it restored soon himself. His mother had loved it and it was a shame that thanks to Hera and Hades, it was in ruins.

"No, we haven't had a chance yet. But I trust my uncle's judgment. If he believes that Max will design an even better theater house than what existed before, then I have no doubt myself and the world will be thrilled with it."

He nodded his head when Dumar told him how old Max truly was.

"I didn't realize anyone was as old as that old man."

He said with a smirk to Cid. And then added.

"Perhaps, he will find her someday."

He noticed Sojourn and Gossamer standing at the end of the hall. They seemed like they wanted to talk but not interfere with this conversation. They must have had something else on their minds. He was curious and turned his attention back to his distant cousin.

"Dumar, like I said, you and Max are welcome to stay here as long as you want. I have no doubt Nicolai will be able to help you greatly with your research. And that the reconstruction of the theater house will help your friend. I do have some other matters to attend to. If you'll excuse me."

Dumar nodded, then followed his cousins gaze two the two
    woman standing at the end of the hall. He smiled, It was nice to see Optimus
    interested in other thing then just the affairs of state.... But then Dumar's
    smile changed to a frown, seeing the woman reminded hm that he had a meeting
    with a Princess that didn't like being kept waiting..... And Dumar was pretty
    sure he was late... A white glow began to show through Dumar's cloths at his
    chest an his cloths began to rise slightly and billow as his whole body was
    bathed in the white light emanating from his chest. Dumar nodded to Lord Cid
    and Nicolai.

"Apologies Optimus I am late for an important meeting."

And with no particular meaning or emphasis on anything Dumar's
    Last comment lingered in the air as Dumar disappeared in a bust of bight light.

"Queen Rory would be very proud."

Optimus Prime

Dumar was right, Optimus' feelings for Sojourn were growing. Before she had entered the Saber Vortex, his focus was to make sure he could be the best leader he could for his planet. A better leader then his father was, who had abandoned his world and his family. A ruler like his mother had been. He still wanted to be a good ruler, but he also wanted to get to know Sojourn better. Have her be a part of his life. He watched Dumar's clothes change and nodded his head.

"I understand. As I said, you're always welcome here."

And he smiled when his cousin said that Rory would have been proud of him. 'I hope so.' He thought himself and turned to Sojourn and Gossamer.

"Sorry to keep you ladies waiting."

Sojourn & Cid

"Gods speed."

Cid told Dumar as he left and turned his attention to the two goddesses. Sojourn smiled.

"It's okay."

She thought it was nice for Optimus to spend some time with family, even a distant relation. One thing she had learned was that Optimus' mother had been very respected and loved by people who knew her. She wished she could have met her, Sojourn thought that Rory sounded like a wonderful person. And she was sure that Optimus was making his mother proud. He was a good person. A person she was starting to care a lot about.

"Actually, we were hoping you could do us a favor, Cid."

Sojourn said to the Ancient God, who asked.

"I probably could. What is it?"

She looked over at Gossamer, unsure if her friend wanted to be the one to ask him about Doviana or if Sojourn should do it for her.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast