Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Phobos and Deimos

Phobos was taken aback. He just stared at his grandmother and his great-uncle for a moment, eyes wide with disbelief.

"Married? Yes, I see," he said calmly. "Excuse me a moment."

He stood up from the table abruptly and strode across the room. With unintelligible cries of rage, he threw the wooden bench into the stone wall, breaking it into pieces, then started knocking down metal candelabra. He tipped over the sideboard, sending goblets and decanters careening across the floor.

Deimos watched impassively. "He's angry," he informed his relatives without a change in tone or expression. "She was supposed to be his. If she's married to another man, everyone will know that she isn't."

Tired of venting his wrath against inanimate objects, Phobos turned his attention to the unlucky servant girl. She bore no physical resemblance to Gossamer, but for now she was the closest young female he could take his frustration out on. He hit her repeatedly, raining blows on her face, chest, and midsection. When she raised her hands to try to defend herself from the unexpected onslaught, he twisted her wrist till there was a snapping sound, then shoved her to the floor.

"Get out of my sight!" he snarled at her. "I'll deal with you later."

The servant girl hurried out of the room, and Phobos turned his attention back to his family, once again completely calm. "So," he said. "How do I get to this Saber Vortex?"
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 09-10-2016 at 10:16 PM.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Gossamer and Nicolai

Continued from: http://quarrelsandquills.com/showthr...l=1#post237024

"Their fortress is an island in the center of the landmass," Nicolai said. "It's on top of a jagged stone cliff face. There's no point in trying to climb it. There's no cover at all; we'd be seen, and the archers would pick us off before we even got close to them. There are service tunnels underneath the fortress, but again, they aren't a viable way in. They're too well guarded. I would suggest a third option - that we travel around Arena the same way the Family of War does, using their portals."

"Arena is designed for entertainment," Gossamer explained. "It's essentially a coliseum on the scale of a landmass. That being the case, there are some fixed portal locations so that victims for the blood sport can be transported in and corpses can be removed. The portals are watched too, but less carefully, and we'd be able to move a lot faster, so if we were careful we could probably get in without too much fighting."

"And trust me, we want to fight as little as we can," Nicolai said. "The guards aren't gods, but nor are we pushovers, and they'll have the greater numbers. If we're spotted, they'll try to overwhelm us. It would be better not to be seen, at least not until we're ready for a final standoff. For now, let's try to find the first portal without catching their attention."

"Be careful, everyone," Gossamer instructed. "Pretty much everything on this planet is hostile. The animals are predatory and aggressive. A lot of the plants are poisonous. The climate zones are harsh. There aren't any citizens here - just guards and servants - but there may be competitors fighting somewhere in the arena, so we'll need to watch out for them too."

"One other thing," Nicolai added. "As I told you back in the Saber Vortex, the Family of War have the power to command me. I'll fight by your side till we reach the fortress... but if we run into one of the rulers, I'll have to leave. Not out of disloyalty or fear, but because they would use me as a weapon against you. I don't want you to have to fight me too. It'll be safer for everyone if I'm not there for the confrontation. I'm sorry, but it's the only way."

Hades

Hades continued to sip his wine. He watched Phobos' rage and felt nothing for the girl that was on the receiving end of it. He nodded his head to Deimos.

"He was every right to be."

If he had been disrespected that way, especially by a lesser god, then Hades would have been angry as well. At his great nephew's question, Hades replied.

"Unfortunately, one of those First gods put a protection spell on the planet. It is almost impossible to get to."

Unless you followed someone into a portal who could get pass the barrier. Like he and Hera had followed Sojourn to get there.

Optimus Prime

Breaking into a heavily guarded fortress sounded like no fun, but being on this planet wasn't going to be a vacation. Too bad his first trip to another planet, was going to be difficult mission. Optimus listened to what his friends had to say about Arena and what they should do.

"I'd prefer to save our energy for the fortress and avoid the guards as much as possible."

He commented, he had no doubt the fortress would be a hell of a fight. Plus, the guards were just doing their jobs, he was sure they didn't all deserve to die. Many were probably forced to work for the Family of War. Not that he thought getting to fortress, when the planet itself was pretty dangerous, was going to be easy. Well, no one said life would be easy.

"It's okay, Nicolai. When you need to leave, just say the world. Cid will teleport you back to the Saber Vortex."

He looked at his uncle, it wasn't a request. Cid was the strongest god here, he could teleport to other worlds. He had teleproted them all here and Optimus was sure his uncle had used up a lot of energy to do it. Plus, since his family ruled this planet, Optimus was sure they favored Hera more then him. Optimus didn't want to put Cid in danger. He told his uncle telepathically.

~When you have to leave, I will still find the talisman. I promise.~

He then turned to Sojourn and told her.

"Stay close to me. I'll watch your back and you watch mine. Deal?"

Hera

"Sadly yes, married."

Hera confirmed to her grandson. She was not at all surprised by his reaction. Phobos always had a fiery temper and what Gossamer had done was a slap in the face. She should have been honored to married to an Ancient God. Especially when she was from a lesser race of gods. She drank her wine as Phobos had his temper tantrum. She nodded her head to Deimos.

"The harlot was unworthy of him."

Hera truly believed that and she cared very little what he did to the servant girl. When Phobos returned and Hades answered his question about the planet, Hera added.

"It's okay that you can't teleport there. Because they came here. Your grandfather is looking for a talisman. Something that will grant wishes. It's supposed to be on this planet."

Sojourn & Cid

Sojourn and Cid both listened carefully to what Gossamer and Nicolai had to say about Arena. It sounded like a very dangerous planet. And to think this was supposed to be 'entertainment'. Entertainment for very sick people. How could anyone enjoy watching people kill each other? Cid had no idea and it made him feel ashamed that the rulers of this planet shared his blood. Both gods agreed that using the portals to get the fortress and avoiding people as much as possible was the best idea.

When Optimus offered Cid up to take Nicolai away, he did give him a look. Cid didn't want to leave, especially not when it was his family involved. Nor did he want to leave his nephew behind. But Optimus was right, Cid was the only one strong enough to teleport Nicolai to safety. Plus, he was weaker using so much energy getting them all here. He nodded his head.

"Yes, I'll get you home safely. Just let me know when, Nicolai."

Cid told him and then said to Optimus' telepathically.

~Just make sure you and the ladies get back in one piece.~

He wanted the talisman but he was more concerned about their safety. He'd give it up, if that meant kept those three safe. Sojourn nodded her head to Optimus.

"That's a good deal to me."

Phobos and Deimos

Phobos smiled unkindly. "Well well," he said. "How convenient. We'll deal with them here, then."

"Kill the guard," Deimos suggested absently. "But you should leave Gossamer alive for the time being."

Phobos' face clouded. "You can't still expect me to marry her? She's been with another man, and people know it. I'm not going to accept the leftovers of someone less than human..."

Deimos shook his head. "Of course not. But you have to make an example of her. Let people see what happens to those who defy you."

Phobos considered this for a moment, then nodded. "I'll instruct the guards to capture her."

It was Deimos' turn to consider, and when he replied, he sounded thoughtful. "The guards may not be the most useful in this situation. Of course they will follow orders, but they may have some sympathy toward one of their own, in spite of his gross misconduct. We should make sure to be on hand ourselves, to ensure the task is done right."

"Good thinking," Phobos agreed. "Grandmother? Great-Uncle? I assume you wish to be involved in confronting Grandfather, too?"

Gossamer and Nicolai

"Thank you," Nicolai said.

He hated the idea of leaving his wife and his friends when the danger was greatest, but it was the only way. With the Family of War controlling him, he would be more of a liability than an asset, so he had to make sure that didn't happen.

"There's a portal directly to the fortress," Nicolai went on to explain. "But they'll be watching that one carefully. I would suggest instead we take another one from the top of the mountain, then to the jungle, then to the desert zone, then on to the center island. There's a short walk between each. Then we can take the back way in, and hopefully catch them by surprise."

Gossamer nodded. "We'll have to be quick," she said. "The climate zones are harsh, and we'll be in danger from wild animal predators and possibly arena combatants. It's the best way to avoid being seen, though."

Nicolai led the group around a large rock formation, then traced three runes on the rock surface. A portal shimmered into view. "One benefit of having a guard with you," he said. "Well, former guard. I know how to get around this planet."

They would emerge from the portal at the top of a mountain, where a cold wind blew.

The servant girl glanced back and forth down the hall, and seeing no one, she staggered past the door to Phobos' suite of rooms rather than going inside. Phobos had already hurt her terribly, and as angry as he was - even if it was directed at someone else - she was sure he was was going to kill her. Still, what had just transpired had given her hope. Gossamer, the bride, had gotten away. That meant maybe there was hope for her to escape, too.

Because the guards had been occupied with attending to the guests, for just a moment the portal room was unattended. She hurried across the room as quickly as her injured legs could carry her, and threw herself through the nearest portal, taking no time to ascertain where she would end up. The important part was getting away.

The sudden change in air temperature made her gasp and shiver. She was on top of a mountain, and a chill wind whipped around her. Cold seeped through her thin, torn robe like it was nothing. At least for the time being, though, she was free. Her legs collapsed out from under her, riddled as she was with pain and exhaustion, and she fell hard against the rocky ground.

She heard heavy footsteps, but couldn't quite manage to scramble to her feet before a burly, grizzled, grime-encrusted man had her by the arm and lifted her from the ground, making her cry out in pain as he suspended her in the air, her toes dangling a few inches above the ground. He stared at her with an expression she didn't like, amusement glinting in his cruel gaze. "Well well," he said. "What have we here?"

Hera

Hera smiled as she listened to her grandsons. She cared nothing about Gossamer and her guard, but her grandsons' anger would also have to be directed at Zeus. After all, he did keep the girl from Phobos. She was sure he would not forget that.

"Your brother is right, Phobos. This whore must be made an example of."

Hera said in agreement with Deimos. Gossamer's actions had been disrespectful and that could not be tolerated. She nodded her head again that it would be best for the gods themselves to deal with this group. She smiled at Phobos when he asked if she and Hades wanted to confront Zeus.

"But of course, my dear."

Sojourn & Cid

"You're welcome."

Cid replied to Nicolai. He was sure for the young man that leaving his wife behind was not an ideal option, but what other choice did they have? He'd be more of a danger to everyone if he stayed. He also trusted Optimus would be able to keep both goddesses safe when the time came for Cid and Nicolai to leave.

"Sounds like a good idea.

Sojourn said when Nicolai and Gossamer explained the best way to get to the fortress was to use various portals to get the fortress.

"That is does. Let's do this."

Cid said in agreement. Hopefully they could be quick and avoid detection. At least Nicolai would be able to help them get around quickly until they reached the fortress. The Ancient God and Secundae followed through the portal. The first thing that hit both of them was the extreme change in temperature. The wind was very cold and they were very high up. The sudden change in altitude was a little disorienting.

"You weren't kidding about the harshness."

Sojourn commented to Gossamer, and wrapped her arms around herself. She hoped they found the next portal quickly. Although the group had barely begun to walk, when Sojourn heard someone call out in pain. Sojourn grabbed her bow and an arrow.

"We're not alone here."

Sojourn told her friends.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast