Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Overview

This is basically a mixture of history, myth and folklore, altered and combined with a whole bunch of made up stuff to define the setting for this SL. So here goes:

The story takes place around the year 1000BC in Persepolis, a city destined to become the capital of the Persian empire in years to come. The city is mostly made up of one or two story stone houses, many of which have walled-in yards, parts of which serve as stables. The main street of Persepolis holds the market and is usually lined with stalls and booths belonging to different merchants. There are taverns scattered about the city, some more dignified and some less.

Notable buildings within the city:
    - The palace and courtyard: Houses the governor of this province, who is regarded as the Prince of Persepolis, his family, servants and royal guard. Anyone interested in playing any of the people who reside within the palace is welcome to describe it as he/she sees fit. There are also dungeons beneath the palace for holding criminals.
    - The temple and its gardens: More on religion later on. Again, I will leave its description up to the players.
    - Tower of Silence: A tall stone tower at the edge of the city with a flat roof where the dead are kept. I won't go into any (unpleasant) details at this point, but vultures could be seen circling the top of the tower on a regular basis. If anyone wants to take the story there, just shoot me a PM for more details.

Religion

The supreme God of the people of Persepolis is Ahura Mazda (meaning 'wise God'), who is characterized by endless light, goodness and the all-encompassing sky. Opposing him is Angra Mainyu (a.k.a. Ahriman), an evil spirit of darkness, violence and death.
    Caught between the two are some lesser gods, such as the god of wind and air (Vayu) or the god of rain (Tishtria). Feel free to make up your own, if you so desire, but the gods will not take an active part in the SL. In fact, the endless battle between Ahura Mazda and Ahriman is considered an ethical one taking place within the heart and soul of every human being, rather than a cosmic one.

The following is Sil's description of the priests:
    The women are the day guardians. They are robed in red and wear a red gem, hung between their eyes on a golden wreath, which symbolizes the sun and her halo. The men are the night guardians. They are robed in blue and wear their gem, which symbolizes the moon and its halo, about their necks. The priests and priestesses live and study seperately within the temple, and are allowed together only during their outings into the city once or twice a month.
    (Corrections and additions are welcome)

The four groups of playable characters

The characters can be generally divided into four groups, characterized by the four elements. Each of these can choose to serve either good or evil (or can be conflicted):

Human beings are born of the earth. A select few practice the use of low level magic, consisting mostly of optical illusions and limited telekinesis (often used together to create the illusion of conjuring something out of thin air), as well as some healing magic. Humans can make use of magical items and gain control over spirits and demons through rituals and/or magical items. Apart from humans who live in the cities there are travelling tribes who inhabit the desert and savages who usually reside in caves in the mountains.

Djinn are spirits that are born of air. The most common are the genies. They are believed to be hosts to the spirits of vanished ancient people and can often be bound to a magical item. They can turn invisible, change shape and perform different magical acts (different spirits would have control over different levels of magic). Some spirits only act during the night and disappear with the first light of dawn.

Demons are born of either fire or water. Fire demons are the most common on land and assume the shapes of both men and beast. Water demons reside in or near water and assume the shapes of both men and serpents (There is a large lake about 40 miles from Persepolis. The persian gulf is about 100 miles from the city). Demons have a high resilience against blunt attacks, but can be stabbed using normal weapons (normal = non-magic) - however, while they can be hurt by normal weapons, they are not easily killed by them. Some demons can change shape from human to animal.

That's what I have for now. Feel free to ask anything, comment, add suggestions or what not.
    (This is my first time putting together something like this, so input is most welcome)
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by RPTink!
    Human beings are born of the earth. A select few practice the use of low level magic, consisting mostly of optical illusions and limited telekinesis (often used together to create the illusion of conjuring something out of thin air), as well as some healing magic. Humans can make use of magical items and gain control over spirits and demons through rituals and/or magical items. Apart from humans who live in the cities there are travelling tribes who inhabit the desert and savages who usually reside in caves in the mountains.

Djinn are spirits that are born of air. The most common are the genies. They are believed to be hosts to the spirits of vanished ancient people and can often be bound to a magical item. They can turn invisible, change shape and perform different magical acts (different spirits would have control over different levels of magic). Some spirits only act during the night and disappear with the first light of dawn.
    This is so perfect, you've no idea! My characters have solid ground now.

As for the demons, I'll play one if no one else will. I've got 3 characters (Zahida, Saira, and Nadya- yet to be revealed *coughLAMPcough*) already, so it might get hectic. I will if no one else will. I rarely find myself playing characters of the dark or evil variety. (<== this guy's so CUTE!!!)
    |*Just some SILLY little clones*|

Currently Active: Arion, Ganard, Aramil.

Currently Inactive: Jolliet, Rhen, Aiza, Zahida, Saira or Nadya, Midori, and Lotus.
    ...to the topTop

Evil is fun! I'll keep controlling the first demon for the time being and you can have the second.

And just to clear up a few details: The demons are after Farouk. They've been the ones chasing him from the start of this SL. The other men ("two men, richly garbed in dark robes") are after Rayna (Quacky's char).
    Also, Farouk rolled into Jacen's stall, where Rayna is at the moment. I probably should have made that clearer.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    No worries - I'm off to post, as promised! Great outline/explanations there Tink!
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

Evil is fun! I'll keep controlling the first demon for the time being and you can have the second.

And just to clear up a few details: The demons are after Farouk. They've been the ones chasing him from the start of this SL. The other men ("two men, richly garbed in dark robes") are after Rayna (Quacky's char).
    Also, Farouk rolled into Jacen's stall, where Rayna is at the moment. I probably should have made that clearer.
    Oops. Sorry.

And you said there's no pre-planning right? Just go with whatever comes to us? Because I had an idea for Saira, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    That's okay - that's why I wear clown shoes! *steps on own foot and trips* Well, at least I didn't hurt my toe.
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLittleClones

Oops. Sorry.

And you said there's no pre-planning right? Just go with whatever comes to us? Because I had an idea for Saira, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
    don't worry about stepping on Mesoh Nusitu's toes if you have somthing go for it(if theres a problem Blame Tink he said this is all shoot)I look forward to seeing what you have planed
    Trying to catch M in posts

Supporters
    MystikChronicler
    Minity
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLittleClones

Oops. Sorry.

No worries. If you've got something you wanna do, go for it.

The idea behind no pre-planning is basically not to have a plot drawn out in advance and simply carrying it out. If you wanna consult with anyone regarding something you wanna do now, that's perfectly alright. Of course, just going ahead and posting it is also perfectly alright. Keeps us all flexible.
    ...to the topTop

...to the topTop

Jacen- If you wanted to do something with your genie bottle, now's the time to do it... since Rayna smooshed it on the Demon.

Also- I don't know if the Demon's being fire or whatever makes the vulnerable to water... I figured I'd throw a little something in. Let me know if that works, Tink.
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast