Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Diane Hayes & Paul Westin

It was all a terrible dream. Marrying Martin was supposed to fix all her problems, and now it felt like she had even more. He had been young and healthy. Diane didn't even recall him eating a chocolate bar or drinking a soda. How did one like that just die in their sleep? Would the papers say she killed him? That she was some kind of black widow, only wanting his fortune? It sounded like a plot from one of his movies. But it wasn't a movie, this was real life. And if they did say that...Would Rich support her or would he throw her in front of the bus? She didn't even what to consider that. Although, she had worked for him before she had been set up with Martin. She knew exactly what type of man Rich Porter was. He'd throw his on mother off a bridge to save his own hide.

Paul walked with her to the elevator and up to the floor that Shane was on. Diane was lost in her thoughts and didn't pay the women much mind. She wished this was just a nightmare and that she would wake up. That Martin would alive and all would be well. Nothing in her life would feel well again. All she could think of was that Martin was dead and what would be expected of her now. She nodded her head to Colette.

"I will, thank you."

She said and Paul gave her a sympathetic look.

"Diane, is anything I can do for you?"

She sighed, and almost said that the only thing Paul could do was bring Martin back. Despite their fight...It would have been better for her to have him alive. Being his picture perfect wife had forced her into the media's eye, a life he had been an expert of handling, and one she had no idea how to navigate. She shook her head and patted his arm.

"I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done, Paul. I'm sure that soon enough that vultures will descend on me."

Vultures was how Martin referred to the media. Because he had been in movies, people felt like they knew him. That he owed them something. That was a life she had never wanted but, by agreeing to marry Martin, she had been forced into. She just thought she'd have more time to adjust to that life before he was gone.

"Sadly...I fear you're right about that."

Paul said and patted her hand. He was going through a whole assortment of emotions of learning Martin was dead. But even in his shock and disbelief, he knew one thing. He was lucky. All he was to the public was Martin's bodyguard. Some reporter might hunt him down to ask what type of man Martin had been. Hoping Paul would say something kind, but Diane was Martin's widow and they wouldn't leave her alone now. He couldn't protect her from that type of scrutiny and Paul wasn't sure how helpful Rich would be during this whole ordeal.

Colette and the Ladies

Colette nodded when Diane thanked her. She sighed sadly and shot both Paul and Diane a sympathetic glance before excusing herself. No matter how much she wanted to stay in there, Colette had work to do, and she wasn’t anything for Diane. So, she had nothing to do with this situation.

While she went downstairs, the chambermaid thought about what she could do as a small gesture of kindness for Madame.

While Colette had nothing but kind thoughts, the two ladies had exactly the opposite intentions.

They had done a part of the job, and now they needed to make their next plans. Martin was gone, and Pierre’s work had been done. They needed to make up their mind on who would be next.

There was his widow, and the agent. Both were very attractive prospects, but the wife wasn’t as responsible for anything. She might be married to Martin, but she hadn’t been there when everything had happened. At least not in a capacity in which she could influence things.

Deciding that they would focus on the agent first, the ladies started making their plans. They would need their lady friend to keep Porter happy… for a while.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021