Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brath

Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:00 pm
    ::Cait clapped a hand over Carra's mouth and held her tighter so she couldn't run out and do something foolish. She made a shushing sound and strained to hear what Gwythnedd was saying. His words were muffled by the tent canvas, but by the silence of the camp, she knew they were of import. They would have to hurry if this little campaign was going to work. Turning Carra towards her, she put a finger to her lips and then released her mouth. Smiling encouragingly, she wiped her sister's tears. In another time and another place, she would've laughed at the angry look Carra gave her for shushing her so. But this was war - and she deserved it. Looking to the Romans, she pointed at their sword belts and motioned towards herself, indicating that she wanted weapons. Then she got down on her knees and started drawing what parts of the camp she had seen when she was outside. They needed a plan.::

Lady of the Celts and Advocate of Creatures Great and Small

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:37 pm
    Augustus grimaced. This was getting out of hand. Augustus finally spoke up, his voice barely loud enough to be heard by those in the tent.

Augustus: I'm sorry, but this is getting out of hand. There is no way two girls, one who still has a wounded leg, can manage to free the barbarians. There has to be another way we can accomplish this.

Tiberius: This was partly your idea, Augustus. The barbarians are the only chance we have against Vindictus.

Augustus: The barbarians are heavily guarded, and the guard is probably increased as a result of the last outburst.

Tiberius: I have an idea. It is a long shot, but it just might work. I will return.

Without waiting for an objection to be raised, Tiberius ducked out of the tent, leaving Augustus alone with the two barbarian girls.

((OOC: Rescue, if you can understand the Romans, and if you are outside this tent, you'd hear their conversation. It is up to you what you want to do with this info.))
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:48 pm
    ::Carra watched as Tiberius left in a rush and then looked from her sister to Augustus. She gave him a nervous look and then reached from the protective arms of her sister to tug lightly on his tunic. She looked to where Tiberius had left and then back at Augustus as if to say "Where'd he go?" She looked nervous now that so many people had come into the tent. She hugged her sister's waist tighter, strands of her fiery red hair falling into her eyes. She wiped them away and said behind a hand-muffled mouth::

"Carra safe?"

::She looked up to Augustus with question in her eyes::
    -Official #2 fan of Greg Land|#1 fan of Reesha Teramu & Nevole|#3 fan of Gareth|#4 fan of Arwyn
    1656OF56**Beeber Heads Unite!**4270
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:53 pm
    Augustus watched as Tiberius left, wondering what idea his friend had come up with this time, when he heard Carra's simple question. Augustus turned back to Carra and smiled.

Yes, Carra safe.

Looks at Cait.

And you are too. I know you understand my words. I want to....

Augustus looked away, and a little uncomfortable. He was silent for a moment before looking back at Cait.

I want to apologize for injuring you the way I did. Things got a little out of control in the woods. All I can say is.. I'm sorry.
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:22 pm
    ::Again, Cait wished for spit. How dare that Roman dog even consider trying to make amends. He had torn apart her life - true it was the Roman army that had done that, but he was a part of that army and shared their guilt. Still, the way he looked at Carra was the way one would look at a friend's daughter - longingly and lovingly. She wondered if he had children of his own. Deciding to be polite, she merely gave him a curt nod as a reception to his apology. As she glanced down, she noticed the necklace around Carra's neck. It was their father's - a stone for each her, Carra and their mother. Fingering it absently, she ruffled her sister's hair and kissed her forehead. Then she rose stiffly and sat on a three-legged stool in the corner opposite from Augustus. Turning her ear to the canvas wall, she tried to discern what was happening outside.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:01 pm
    ::When Augustus looked down at her and smiled, Carra wedged her way back into the folds of her sister's kilt and tunic and smiled. She looked between he and Cait as they talked briefly and looked a bit bewildered. He seemed... sad, and her sister tensed. She knew when Cait was angry even when she didn't show it. She squeezed her a bit tighter until Cait fingered the necklace about her neck and ruffled her hair. Carra let out a soft growl and scowled up at her elder sister. She watched her walk away and looked between she and Augustus. After a long silent moment, she piped up::

<<"Cait... what'd Augustus say?">>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::Gwythnedd spoke in hushed tone with his fellow clansmen as he went to each and visited with the wounded, dead, and dying. His lips pursed in disappointment. While riling his clansmen up to give their spirits some freedom was for the better, this was not. He could not let his clan be slaughtered... not like this. There was no honor in it. There was no honor in them. Making his rounds, he noticed a son of Ureland alone in a solitary cage several feet off and stopped to watch him. He heard him shouting earlier. He knew the voices of his clansmen... but this one was not. He hoped the Gods had spared his clansmen the fate the Romans would deal out as if THEY were deities. Gwythnedd scowled and walked to the edge of his cage. He called out to the warrior in his own native tongue, stern eyes watching him carefully::

"I heard your calls... I thank you for them."

((Note: When Carra's speaking in her own language around Augustus and Tiberius, I'll use << >> to show that, since they don't understand Ureland tongue. Otherwise, if she says small phrases to Augustus, it'll just be in " ".))
    -Official #2 fan of Greg Land|#1 fan of Reesha Teramu & Nevole|#3 fan of Gareth|#4 fan of Arwyn
    Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:25 pm
    Duncan watches as the chieftain takes notice of him and speaks

Quote:
    "I heard your calls... I thank you for them."

Though we are not of the same clan, I share your pain. My clan was attacked by the Roman dogs not a month ago, and I doubt any of my clansmen survived. I would have my revenge for what they have done to me and Ureland as a whole if only I could get out of this cage. I have been looking for weaknesses in it, but I have found none yet. Are there any weaknesses in yours?

((OOC: Duncan is speaking in the Urelander tongue so that the guards might not be quick to understand what he is saying.))
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:40 am
    ::Cait frowned. She didn't like what she was hearing - mostly silence except for the groans of her dying kinsmen. She winced as she heard a woman scream - she didn't want to think about what was happening to her. All these things just made her mad. Caitriona could feel herself working up into a fury and knew that if she didn't quell it soon, she would do something rash. Instead, she distracted herself with Carra. Massaging her throat gently, she used her injury as an excuse for not answering her sister right away. Picking up a stray stick, she started writing on the ground - her sister had been tutored in their written language and she only hoped that she had actually been paying attention. Scribing the words "Did he harm you? What has he been telling you? Where is Lingo?" she looked up to Carra's scrunched up face and started to work her throat in case she needed to speak.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:01 am
    Erwan heard movement and discussion inside the tent and listen to the little silence after. It may be the good time now, stop thinking, act and be brave once in your life.

- Are you ready, sister? I cost me to involve you but alone we are dead.

He took the dagger in his hand and smiled at Sat'hiya to reassured her. She wasn't a little child anymore but she was all his family now. Don't think you're not coming back. Erwan suddenly and quickly sliced the fabric of the tent, making a buzzing noise as the dagger moved from top to bottom. As fast a he could, he threw himself inside, judging quickly the situation. 1,2,3 ...the roman...

leave!!! he yelled

The slingshot threw its stone toward the roman officer there, hitting him on his chest. He blew the horn three time calling the Ureland's "children" to attack.
    #1 fan of the dawn & twilight in Ruse, the twins in Route 666, Nvis
    #2 fan of the sigil bubbles in Solus
    #4 fan of Wyture
    Charon's chosen|Monchito's maniac|Cubby!
    Comics are like chips, you can't read just one.~Rebleila
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:16 pm
    ((OOC: I'm going to start using this profile for all my characters here. If this confuses anyone, I'll switch back to my main profile. ))

--------------------------------------------------

The three horn blasts echoes loudly through the stillness in the air. All the Romans knew the sound. Barbarians were on the attack. Roman soldiers quickly grabbed their swords and shields and ran out of their tents to face barbarian children. Some of the Romans began to laugh, but when the sling stones hit their marks, the laughter turned to anger. If it was a fight they wanted, it was a fight they'd get.

Vindictus was sitting at his table eating his breakfast when he heard the horn blasts. His face contorted with rage.

How dare the barbarians attack us here! They will pay for this outrage!

Vindictus stood up and marched out of his tent to see the attack of the barbarian children. He couldn't believe what he saw. He shouted so that everyone could hear.

Let's teach these barbarians a lesson! Kill all the children that dare attack us! Let the caged barbarians see what happens when you dare cross Rome!

After shouting this, he was struck in the shoulder with a sling stone. With a shout of pain, he turned on the boy who attacked him. He pulled out a knife and threw it. Vindictus had always been an expert thrower, and today was no exception, the dagger found its target in the boy's eye.

KILL THEM ALL!

After leaving Augustus's tent, Tiberius made his way to a large pavilion where the lower ranking soldiers, that were often used as guards, had bunked. With the chaos that was started by the shouts of the caged barbarians, this pavilion was empty. He couldn't believe his luck. Quickly, he went to the back of the pavilion where the weapons and the keys were stored.

Sure enough, one of the guards, a new recruit probably, had left the keys out in the open, un guarded. The first rule is to never leave the keys out of your sight. Tiberius quickly grabbed the keys and hid them under his breastplate. The feel of the keys pressed against his skin was painful, but it was necessary.

With the keys safely hidden away, Tiberius started to make his way out the tent when he heard the three trumpet blasts. A barbarian attack. He didn't know if the timing was good or bad. He quickly ran out of the tent, sword drawn, to see what was going on.

Barbarian children, it seemed, had dared to take up the attack. The children would never stand a chance against trained Roman soldiers. He felt sorry for the children. Even saddened when he heard General Vindictus shout to kill them all.

The only hope the children had now was the barbarians in captivity. He needed to get the keys to the barbarian girls, so they could rescue their kin, and save the children from being slaughtered. With much haste, he attempted to make his way back to Augustus's tent.

Augustus was surprised when he heard the ripping of the tent fabric, and cried out in pain when the stone hit his chest. He doubled over in pain, already heavily wounded from the beating he had received from Vindictus.

On his hands and knees, Augustus clutched his painful chest, as he heard the barbarian boy sound the trumpet. Augustus looked up, and held up one hand, palm forward.

Wait!

Outside, he could hear the sounds of the barbarian children entering the camp. He felt sorry for the children, standing up against the might of Rome. When he heard Vindictus shout to kill them all, Augustus became even more upset with the General. He only hoped that he would survive long enough to see the General fall.

Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:33 pm
    ::Cait turned at the sound of ripping fabric. Erwan? What was he doing here? She groaned when he blew the horn. She knew that the attackers would be the women and children of their dun. She grabbed Erwan's tunic and managed a few words.::

<<What do you think you are doing? We haven't released the warriors yet! Tell me there are archers in the woods or we are all dead. *looks at Augustus* Don't harm him, he is on our side. Apparently not all Romans are ruthless pigs.>>

::She didn't wait for an answer to her questions, but picked up a Roman sword for her and a small archer's shield, which she passed to Carra. Grabbing Carra's hand, she took her along with her as she ducked out of the tent. Keeping low, she looked around for the other soldier and saw him coming, but he was still a ways away. He had something up his sleeve, she could tell by the look on his face. It was then that she heard their commander shout to kill all the children. Her heart rose into her throat and again redness of anger started to cloud her eyes. This time she couldn't stop the anger - it boiled into a full rage. A Roman soldier ducked out of a tent beside theirs and she shoved the sword through his throat. Today the Romans would pay.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:43 pm
    Augustus saw the girl grab the sword and shield and walk out of the tent. He didn't have time to worry if others would overhear him or not. He shouted after the girl.

Get in here, girl! You'll bring no honor to your family by dying today! Wait for Tiberius to return! We want to help you! Please trust us!
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:16 pm
    ::Gwythnedd, chieftain of a once numerous people, nodded to the single caged barbarian as he told his story. So alike, they were, though of different clans. He does not touch the Roman bars that hold him but she nods to them as he speaks in his clan's tongue::

"Their fortresses are weak. If enough strength is used, then-"

::He stopped when three sharp calls pierced the air. His head whipped around, fiery red hair flying with a clatter of beads and braids. His brow furrowed.... it was the horn of their children. Their women... they were going to attack. Gwythnedd's clansmen stood and turned, clearly surprised as much as he about the oncoming attack. They too recognized the horn of their children and let out a bellowing war cry, thrusting their fists into the air and laying back their heads, screaming at the tops of their lungs. Gwythnedd looked back to the single caged barbarian with a look of both pride and desolation in his eye. These children.. most were too young to carry a weapon let alone wield one. It would be a massacre. With a fierce look in his eye, Gwythnedd turned to his clansmen, speaking above the roar of battle enough for Duncan to hear::

"The horn of the children of Ureland sounds! The fight for our freedom as we have fought for theirs! Rattle the cages of these Roman pigs! Not even their meat is worth a carving and they threaten to amssacre our youngest kin! Break loose your bonds and fight! Fight till every drop of blood is spilled from their throats! Rattle your cages!"

::That last command was given with a look to Duncan. Gwythnedd hoped he understood as he turned to grabs the bars of the cages with his men, pushing against them with all his strength::

::So much happened in the span of seconds that Carra had no time to answer her sister. She heard the ripping of canvas and the thwack as a stone hit::

"Augustus!"

::She stretched a hand out to him, but it wad captured by Caitriona. A rough little shield was pushed into one hand and she was yanked out of the tent::

"Caitri-"

::The horns sounded and froze. A battle. She was in an actual battle against the Romans! Immediately she crouched low, as Cait had done. Her brown eyes went wide, freckles standing out clearly as her face paled with a tinge of fear. Her eyes widened further when she saw who was attacking and the orders for what was to be done::

<<"Cait!!! Those ere children attackin' theh Romans!">>

::She pointed a tiny finger at Vindictus::

<<"Heh's going te kill them all, Cait!>>

::She saw the look in her sister's eyes, her stance, her breathing. Blood lust. She was concentrating on Cait so much that she didn't hear Augustus' call. One voice alone made her drop the shield and walk forward, straining to hear. She whispered softly::

"Papa..."
    Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:24 pm
    Duncan nods to Gwythnedd and grabs the bars of his cage. He starts shaking them violently and throwing himself against the bars all the while howling and screaming. He hoped this would work, otherwise the children will be slaughtered.
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:14 am
    He's with us? No!!!!
    How would that Roman helps us?!

Erwan couldn't believe what he heard from Caitronia. That was a total nonsense! How could soldiers who killed their families and made crying Ureland soil by sorrows could be a friend? Holding as strong as he could Augustus by his neck, he was ready to stab him with an unknown angry feeling he never felt before but his sight met the roman's eyes. His hand shaked as he couldn't kill him. He was now trouble with the attention Carra was giving to Augustus and his strong warning seemed sincere. With rage he punched the Roman officer.

What could you do to help us after what you have done, Roman? You brought our kin here to die!!

The noise of the attack echoed in his head like a wound and clenching his sword, Erwan rushed outside the tent to help the others. A sparrow sliced his shoulder luckily as if the spirits of the soil were with them today. Poor boy, he didn't realize that there were no spirits with them or it would have more been demons in his mind. The edge of the blade brought blood to the soldier's throat and he quickly took the shield from the dead man.

Caitriona... the little girl... more safe in the tent...

But there was a limit for luck and Erwan used his one already. A strong noise of the sword blasting the shield scared him as the backlash threw the young man on his back at the entrance of Augustus tent. With no sword anymore in his hand he will die. The soldier's foot smashed his hand making him yelling with pain. He was now laying on the ground facing the soldier and Augustus.

::Outside the camp, interested eyes were observing the scene. They were not from Ureland but they already faced roman's in another land.::

{By the thousand tails of Niffel, these children make me laugh!! What do you think, Jrund? Should we attack now?}

{I confess that they earn their life or at least earn to die by our hands. My friends, today we will drink wine in roman's skulls!}

::The strangers laughed even more with the excitation and hold their furious horses, standing ready to their chief Jrund's orders.::
    #1 fan of the dawn & twilight in Ruse, the twins in Route 666, Nvis
    #2 fan of the sigil bubbles in Solus
    #4 fan of Wyture
    Charon's chosen|Monchito's maniac|Cubby!
    Comics are like chips, you can't read just one.~Rebleila
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:23 pm
    ::Cait stared at the blood on her blade - she had never killed a person before. This sobering thought brought her out of her enraged state long enough to hear that Erwan was in trouble. Whipping around, she saw the Roman - her guard from before - kicking him in the head. With a cry, she rushed forward, her sword leveled at the place under his arm where there was no armor. Unfortunately, his arm came back and knocked her sword off its mark. Turning, the man grabbed her wrist, shaking the sword out of it, then he pushed her to the ground and lept on her. He spoke into her ear with a whisper.::

- I don't know if you heard the General's command, but I sure did. I am looking forward to seeing you after the battle. -

::He gave her a wicked grin which quickly turned to a grimace of pain, his eyes widening. Cait had pulled out his own dagger and slipped it into his side under the mail shirt he wore. Swearing, he struck her across the face, and in response, Cait twisted the dagger in his side. Blood gushed from her nose as she struggled - yet again - for her life at the hands of a Roman pig. In the background, she could hear her kinsmen shouting and rattling their cages, a single voice rising above them all.::

Father. Oh NO! Carra! Where is she?

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:43 pm
    The Romans faced off against the barbarian women and children that were attacking. The orders of the General were clear. Kill all the attackers. The Romans were carrying out those orders, and many barbarian children were lying dead or dying in the Roman camp. They ignored the caged barbarians, for the most part, believing that the cages would hold them. Little did they know that the cages foundations were actually weakening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Augustus was taken aback when the barbarian youth grabbed him by the throat. With Cait taking his weapon, he had no defense, should the boy try to kill him. In a moment, his entire life flashed before his eyes. The fact that he might never see his wife and daughter again saddened him. But he would die for Rome, and it would be a good and honorable death.

Then, the youth let him go, and went after Cait. Everything happened so fast. He saw the boy get knocked down by a soldier, and then saw the girl struggling to rescue him. And little Carra was getting lost in the chaos. That was not acceptable.

Passion and adrenaline welled within him, and he was determined not to allow them to die. He saw his sword, which Cait had taken, lying on the ground. Quickly, he rushed over and grabbed the sword, and plunged it through the Roman solider's back.

This ends now!

Fire could be seen inside Augustus's eyes, as the Roman soldier fell lifeless to the ground. He quickly passed the Roman, and grabbed Carra to bring her back into the safety of the tent.

You two, back into the tent, now!

Tiberius saw the chaos happening in front of Augustus's tent. He was shocked when he saw Augustus storm out and kill the Roman soldier. He realized that they were now in way over their heads. Then Tiberius noticed something that Augustus failed to notice. Another Roman soldier had seen everything, and was closer to Augustus than he was. Tiberius wanted to shout out a warning, but he knew, in the chaos, he'd never be heard. Instead, Tiberius ran, sword drawn, ready for anything.

Augustus never saw the other Roman coming. Suddenly, he felt the sting of a blade pierce his back. He cried out in pain, and dropped Carra when he fell to his knees. His last sight was Carra, lying on the ground in fear. Instead of Carra, he could only see his daughter, whom he'd never see again. The world around Augustus went dark and silent.

NOOOO!!

Tiberius shouted, in rage. He was too late. He was not able to get there in time to save his friend. But he could get there to save the others. Tiberius never broke from his run. The Roman, who thought Tiberius was coming to aid him, never expected to be attacked by another Roman. It was the last mistake he would make, as Tiberius's blade severed his head from his body.

Quickly, Tiberius grabbed Carra, and ushered everyone in the tent, before any other Romans saw what had happened here.

Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:21 pm
    ::So many voices, names, crying, sobbing, Carra trembled, watching the battle. She barely noticed when Augustus carried her into the tent until he dropped her. She jolted, looking up frightened fearful as a sword gleamed behind Augustus' back. She muttered in Augustus' tongue, broken and shaking as the sword plunged::

"Ah-gustusss...?"

::He fell. Her eyes went wide. Someone else scooped her up and carried her further into the tent. But this was not where she should be... not where she wanted. She could still hear her father's voice. Still hear him... so close. Carefully, she peeked out of the tent while Tiberius attended Augustus. She looked back inside, hearing the screams of her friends. A sword gleamed on the ground... whether it be Augustus' or the now, dead Roman soldier's she didn't know. Carefully her tiny hand clutched the hilt and dragged it toward her. She ducked from the tent, dropping her tiny wooden archer's shield as she went. Carefully avoiding the skirmishes, she made her way over towards the cages and lifted the sword with a grunt. Papa... she had to free Papa... her large brown eyes looked up as a booming voice echoed above the dun of battle::

<<"Put yer backs into it!!! It's almost down now!!! Rattle the cages!!!">>

::She stared in awe and screamed over the crowd::

<<"PAPA!!! PAPAAA!">>

::Holding the sword against her shoulder, she streamlined for the tents, shouting::

::Bracing his shoulder against the cages, he felt the bolts slipping and shouted to his clansmen. Gritting his teeth, he threw his weight against the cages in unison with that of his clansmen::

<<"It's almost down!!! HEAVE!!!">>

::A tiny voice rang out in the crowd. So small against the roar of battle... so unique... it could only be hers. Gwythnedd opened his eyes which widened. His voice was a muted whisper::

<<"No... it can't be...">>
    Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:18 pm
    The bolts holding Duncan's cage together were getting very loose. Duncan felt the adrenaline and blood flow faster and faster each time he threw himself against the cage. The thought that he would be free after so many weeks was almost too much to bear. These Romans will pay in blood for what they have done... Duncan thought to himself "Just a little bit more" and threw himself against the cage again. His shoulders were bruised and were starting to ache. He threw himself again and heard a pop and a clinking sound as a bolt wrenched free and fell to the ground. It's working! he thought. Feeling a surge of energy, Duncan threw himself at the cage again with a renewed vigor. Two more times later, another bolt popped out, then three and so on until finally Duncan's cage tore open and he leapt out of it. Duncan was unbelievably stiff and it hurt to move and he wished for a very brief moment that he could stretch but the adrenaline overcame the pain and stiffness. He bellowed and turned to face the Roman dogs.
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:30 pm
    In the tent where the barbarian leader was kept captive, only one guard remained inside. The rest had left to battle the attacking women and children. The guard was totally unprepared for the barbarian facing him. He had thought that the cages would hold the barbarians. Realizing he could do nothing here, he ran out to alert the others to the danger.

In the center of the camp, Vindictus stood ordering his men. He had grabbed his bow, and was killing the attackers that dared came into the camp. He saw the guard rush out of the tent, shouting an alert that the barbarians have escaped. The worthless fool let them escape. He would have to take care of him later.

Then, Vindictus's eye fell upon a barbarian girl running toward the tent, sword in hand. He trained his bow on her and prepared to fire.

Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:04 pm
    Duncan saw the guard run out of the tent. He picked up a sword that was left by the entrance and ran after him. Though he forgot about the guard when he got outside the tent, because the whole camp was in disarray. He heard some high pitched yelling coming toward him. He turned and saw a little barbarian girl running toward him. Was this what the so-called rescue consisted of? Children barely old enough to hold a sword let alone mounting a rescue? 'This is a slaughter!,' he thought to himself. Duncan quickly surveyed the chaos and saw to his dismay that a Roman was aiming at the little girl.[i/]

NO!

Duncan charged in the girl's direction. She was a short distance away, he might not make it, but he pushed himself as hard as he could go. He couldn't just let that bastard kill a child.
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:16 pm
    <<"PAPA!! PAPA!!!">>

::Carra's eyes were blind with delight. She didn't see Vindictus pointing his arrow at her. She panted, the sword heavy as she ran towards her father's breaking cage::

<<"Carra!!! STOP!">>

::The frightened look in her father's eyes made her skid to a stop, boots slipping in the muddied ground of the camps. Her head whipped and her large brown eyes looked up at Vindictus as he notched his arrow. Tears sprang into her widened eyes. She let the sword fall to the ground::

<<"P-pap-pa...?">>

::The arrow flew from its bow. Carra drew in a chilling breath. Darkness covered her, but it was not the darkness of death. A barbaric yell echoed faintly as she trembled, waiting to meet her ancestors. She was knocked out of the way, causing her to roll over twice before she looked up dizzily. A sickening ripping noise filled her ears as the arrow tore into the skin of her father's back left shoulder. He fell to his knees and bowed his head, long fiery red hair hanging before his face. He took a deep breath before looking up to his youngest daughter. He reached for the sword she dropped and got upon one knee::

<<"Run Carra.">>

::Gwythnedd stood and faced Vindictus, holding the massive sword in his hand as if it were a toy. His red hair streamed across his face as he pointed the stealthy tip of the weapon at Vindictus. The pain was nothing. He'd felt worse in battle prior to this. He reached one hand behind his back and pulled the arrow out with a yell, throwing it to the ground at Vindictus' feet. Rage filled him. How dare this... this... pig slaughter innocent children. HIS innocent child who had never before seen the field of battle. He let out a cry and and charged at Vindictus, sword raise, ready to come down upon his neck and severe his head from his pathetic body.

Carra stood and stretched a hand out to her father. Something jerked her backwards and dragged her along the ground by her blouse. She writhed and squirmed and reached back to touch fuzzy, pointed ears::

<<"LINGO!!!! Noo! We have teh go back! Papa's back there! Let gooo Lingo!!!">>
    ...to the topTop

Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:04 pm
    ::Cait was in shock. She allowed Tiberius to pull her into the tent, her mind overwhelmed with what she had seen. Both soldiers that had professed to help her had killed one of their own clansmen. The thought was enormous. They had killed their own for her. She broke out of her reverie as Carra dashed out of the tent. Grabbing a sword of her own, she ran after her sister but was intercepted by two Romans with spears. She lopped the head off the first spear and ducked a thrust by the second. Angry and desperate for Carra's safety, she ducked and rolled under the first Roman, coming up on one knee behind him and sticking the sword up through his ribs. Leaving the sword where she put it, she rolled out of the way of the second Roman, and saw her father facing the evil general. Carra was not in sight, but hearing her shout "Lingoooo!", Cait could guess where she was. All around her, women and children were being slaughtered - they lacked organization. As she faced the Roman with a spear, herself weaponless, she realized that they would not win. They were too few, and too under-equipped. They needed to get out of there if anyone were to be left alive. The Roman lunged at her and she avoided him easily, ignoring the pain in her leg and tumbling back towards the tent. Someone had to sound the retreat. And fast.::

<Erwan! The horn!>

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:40 am
    The scene in the camp was utter chaos, as is typical in battle. When Tiberius saw Cait run out of the tent after Carra, and realized that there was no turning back now. Ignoring the barbarian youth, Tiberius ran out into the camp, sword drawn. He saw Cait pinned on the ground by a soldier's spear.

Stop! This one is not to be harmed, under orders of the General!

The soldier looked up at Tiberius, and pulled back the spear as Tiberius grabbed her by the back of her shirt, and pulled her to her feet.

Soldier: Sir?

You heard me. This one has information the General needs. I will take care of her now.

Soldier: Yes, sir!

The soldier turned and resumed the battle. Quietly, Tiberius whispered to Cait.

I sure hope you told someone to sound a retreat here, your people are gonna get slaughtered if you don't get out of here. I can only do so much to help you.

He slipped the keys out from under his breastplate, and handed them to Cait with his sword.

Go, help free your people and get out of here, quickly!

Vindictus smiled at the barbarian chieftain who would dare to face him down. Did this fool not know just who it was he was facing.

So, barbarian dog, you wish to do battle with me?

Vindictus dropped his bow, and drew his sword, ready to kill this beast. When he saw other Romans coming forward to aid their General, he barked an order to them.

Do not interfere! I will take out this dog myself. Any who dares to interfere shall face my wrath!

With that, the Romans backed off, letting Vindictus fight the barbarian leader alone. Vindictus closed the gap between him and his foe. If he didn't kill the barbarian here, he would make sure the fool died on the cross so that all would know the might of Rome and General Vindictus.
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:23 pm
    <<"PAPA!!!!! PAPAAA!>>

::Carra squirmed and tossed as her wolf tugged her tiny form farther and farther from the action in the Roman camp. She kicked and fought as hard as she could, but the massive animal was so much stronger than she. Tears formed in her eyes when Lingo finally let her go she stood up to run back into the fray, but the wolf ran in front of her. She only smacked into his torso and hung there, struggling to climb over him::

"Yeh don't understand, Lingo!!! I have teh save Papa!!!"

::Lingo let out a growl and nuzzled her away with his wet, dark nose. His wolven eyes stared into Carra's. Duty. He had duty. Guard Carra. Carra safe. Keep safe. His ears flattened against his head and drew forward, his tail slumping as he saw the tears in her eyes. Orders. Duty... Protect Carra. Her lower lip quivered and she bit it on and off as if trying to decide other options. She paced, Lingo followed her. She started to cry::

"Please, Lingo. My family is in there... my clan. I have to help meh clan."

::Gwythnedd closed his eyes for a brief moment as he heard his daughter's cry. This he had to do, to preoccupy this dog from barking orders that would further destroy his clansmen. How he wished he could hold his daughter. He prayed to the Gods he might live enough to see her and hold her once more... just once more::

"Your tongue is quick, let us see if your sword is equally as stealthy and venomous."

::Gwythnedd arched the sword into the air with a yell. This barbarian knew EXACTLY who he was facing. The sword came down at Vindictus' shoulder, straining towards his neck::
    Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:47 pm
    Duncan saw Gwythnedd charge past him and reach the girl first. Then Gwythnedd turned and went to face the Roman general and the little girl was dragged off by a wolf. That was rather strange, Duncan thought, but barbarians are known for having pets. Duncan turned and started to rush into the nearest tent to see if there were any barbarians still caged that he could help free, but was cut off by a roman soldier

Soldierie!

The Soldier attacked him with a sword but Duncan dodged the clumsy swing and slammed his own sword through the Roman's gut and twisted it. The Roman cried out in pain and clutched his stomach as he slid off Duncan's sword. Duncan ran to the tent entrance, threw open the tent door flaps, and saw that there were no cages in this one. This was a soldier's sleeping quarters. Duncan ran to the next one and found the same. He looked in the direction he had been heading and saw a Roman standing with a barbarian girl. Given the situation, Duncan thought he might intend her harm even though he wasn't acting threatening towards her. He hurried over to them, sword at the ready.

"What is going on here?" Duncan asked them.
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:31 pm
    ::Cait grabbed the keys and turned towards the man running up to "save" her. She tried to speak, but only a feeble squawk came out. Instead he held up her hands to him and when he got close enough, grabbed his arm and turned him back towards the tents, jingling the keys as a message. The two started running around, looking for other prisoners. Cait pulled aside a tent flap and two soldiers lept out, staggering back, she just missed having her nose cut off by one. Behind the soldiers, she could see a cage with her clansmen inside rattling the bars. She had to get to them, and soon!::

Why isn't Erwan sounding the retreat? Didn't he understand me? Doesn't he see the carnage here? Hurry up!

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by CHUTZPAH (Member #37) on Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:42 pm
    The girl grabbed Duncan's arm and jingled a set of keys at him and he understood. Duncan shot an approving glance at the Roman, turned and ran to a tent with the girl. When they opened the flaps, two Roman soldiers jumped out and attacked them. One nearly got the girl. Duncan swung at one of the soldiers, but the Roman parried him and kicked Duncan. Duncan fell back a few steps and barely deflected a stab aimed at his mid-section, which knocked the Roman off-balance, making it more than easy enough for Duncan to swing and cleave into the soldier's sword arm causing the Roman to drop his weapon. The Soldier backed up into the tent while holding his arm, which was bleeding profusely and dangling at his side. Duncan turned and saw that in the seconds that his fight had lasted, the other soldier had worked himself between Duncan and the girl. She was doing a fine job of keeping up with the Roman's attacks, but Duncan did not know if she would be able to defeat him, so he rammed his blade between the Roman's ribs, killing him instantly. Duncan marched into the tent and raised his sword to dispatch the injured Roman soldier who was now backing up towards the barbarian's cage. The Roman pleaded Duncan not to kill him. What a coward, he dies with no dignity, thought Duncan. In an instant, before Duncan could react, the Roman had reached down to his boot and pulled a small blade out and slammed it into Duncan's thigh. Duncan roared and kicked the Roman in the head, causing him to stagger back against the cage. Arms snaked out of the cage and grabbed the soldier.

"KILL HIM!! DO IT! THE ROMAN CUR DESERVES TO DIE!!" screamed the barbarians.

The now-whimpering Roman's arms, legs and head were pinned to the cage by the barbarians. Duncan pulled the blade out of his right thigh and threw it away with a look of disgust . He limped up to the the Roman and placed the edge of his sword firmly against his throat. A trickle of blood ran down his throat and was absorbed by his uniform while Duncan reveled in taking the life of this beast. A look of sickening delight and rage spread across Duncan's face. Duncan began pulling the blade across the Roman's throat ever so slowly and that trickle quickly became a gush of life almost eager to be free of it bounds in this monster's body. The blade cut clear to the spine and the Roman gasped and gurgled for breath but found none, and soon was limp and dead. The Barbarians roared and let the body slump to the ground. Duncan stood there, overcome by bloodlust.
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:38 am
    Erwan was injured on the ground as he was prepared to leave this world. That wasn't his time yet. The roman officer who say he was willing to help them crossed the rubicon, sealing up his fate with his own life. Good man, I should have trusted you. A terrible sorrow overwhelmed him as his eyes caught the sight of many of the women and children were dying by the romans blades and the vision was impossible to support for him. Never he fought before, never he killed but today death was crawling all around the world. That wasn't ending yet. More humans were roaring with fears, pains or anger, more lost their life. His hand finally met the sword near him and Erwan grabbed it strongly with terror and with anger. Yet another officer ran into the tent killing one of his soldier and grabbing a barbarian's girl.

"Erwan! the horn!" She yelled.

But the young child of Ureland was seeking his sister in the chaos. His head turned here and there, looking for his sibling but caught nothing but a roman. The blade spoke again and using the shield, he hit strongly his adversary on the throat and throwing him down his knees. Another life ended. "Erwan! the horn!" Where are you, Sat'yia? Where are you? Unconsciously, he put his hand on the horn ready to blow it. Around him, some captives were running outside their cage and engaged the fight. How many remained? he didn't know.

Sister...

He ran toward her and hold carefully her bowed head. Her lips moved a little, giving few words to Erwan. "Free... Love ye ... free... behind... Lov..." Her voice stopped as she left this world, letting a silence answering his brother's call. Before he could realize, a dead body of a roman knocked him down his knees and hands as a friendly but scared voice screamed for help. "Come on!" The barbarian hold him by his arm and pulled him up on his feet strongly.

He blew twice the horn, two time with a fast pacing and hoping that the others will hear and understand it. They will all die if they don't run away.

#1 fan of the dawn & twilight in Ruse, the twins in Route 666, the kiss in Sojourn
    #2 fan of the sigil bubbles
    Comics are like chips, you can't read just one!~Rebleila
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:26 pm
    Vindictus saw the blade coming down and quickly raised his own blade to parry the blow. He managed to deflect the blow, but not without getting sliced along his left cheek.

Why you cursed beast, you shall pay for your insolence with your life!

Vindictus swung his sword at the barbarian's exposed chest, hoping to strike a deep and mortal blow.

Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:48 am
    ::Gwythnedd licked his lips as the bittersweet taste of the Roman's blood sprayed from the wound in his cheek. How could such fresh wounds upon an enemy taste so well? Bloodlust threatened to consume the mighty chieftain. He only closed his eyes a brief moment as the Roman's blade sliced across his chest. With a single step he managed to make the seemingly mortal blow into a mere scrape. Like any mortal though, the Urelander bled. Gwythnedd could not help but laugh::

"Perhaps ye should lay off the sweets, Roman Pig. Ye'll find it harder to kill a warrior than it is te kill harmless women and children."

::Again, he swung his sword at the Roman, perpendicular to Vindictus' chest, intending to cleave part of his torso away. He stepped forward to add weight to the blow::

"Tis ye who will pay for the slaughter of my kin and clansmen, Roman dog!!!"

"I'm sorry, Lingo, but I have a duty te meh clan as ye do to meh."

::She leaped at the massive wolf and rolled beneath him along the dust ground. The Romans had trampled the grass into desolate oblivion, much as they had her clan. Popping out facing the Roman camp, Carra stood quickly and sprinted towards it at lightning speeds. Lingo turned and snapped his jaw at her blouse, tearing it at her back, but only managed a mouthful of cloth as Carra sped towards the fight. She was fast and the Nordic wolf bolted to try and catch her before she entered the camp. A hair too late, Carra wove between tents. Lingo sniffed and followed, barking and snapping at soldiers as he went, trying to keep up with his pet. Her small size was an advantage to her today, and unfortunately for Lingo, a 6ft long wolf running through a camp wasn't something seen everyday. He dodged arrows and pounced soldiers in his way. Where was Carra? The child frantically scrambled past soldiers and clansmen alike, weaving her way back towards the spot she last saw her father::
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:50 pm
    ::Cait would've smiled her appreciation at the boy who had just saved her life, but she had a job to do - her duty to perform - so she just dashed to the side of the tent and slit it open with her sword. She fumbled with the lock as her clansmen shook the bars and cheered - eager to be in the fight. Finally, the rusty lock gave way and the door burst open so suddenly that she was almost knocked over. Looking to her left she saw that the boy had slit the Roman's throat, let him die slowly. Somehow, she didn't share the same bloodlust that the others seemed to be. Lying there, slumped against the bars with his eyes staring unseeing at the carnage before them, he just looked like a man. Cait shook her head and turned to a clansman that was grabbing for the keys. She motioned for him to lead and off they went through the maze of tents, searching for their lost. Then she heard it. Two blasts - weak ones, but still horn blasts sounding the retreat. Parrying a blow from another Roman that came out from a path on her right, she hoped her clansmen heard the sound and would leave rather than die here with the rest of their people. Too much death had happened today - they needed to regroup and plan their revenge.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:36 pm
    Tiberius watched as the girl went off to free her clansmen. He wondered briefly if he was doing the right thing. This had already cost Augusutus his life. How many more lives would be lost today? He could not fight today, even if he wanted to. Many of the soldiers were his friends, comrades in arms. He could not bring himself to raise his sword upon them again. Once was too much. And yet he cannot fight the barbarians either. He had forged an unwritten alliance.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't given much of a choice on what to do. He was struck hard from behind by a club wielded by a barbarian. Darkness claimed him as he slipped into unconsciousness.

Vindictus saw the blow coming and attempted to dodge the blow. The strength of this barbarian was greater, and the blade hit his breast plate. The armor dented in, causing considerable pain and discomfort, but still protecting him from the wound. Never had Vindictus been bested in combat. He could defeat any foe. Yet this barbarian and his strength seemed to be more than a match. The two continued to exchange blows as the battle raged around them. For every minor blow he struck, the barbarian seemed to get three blows in.

I grow tired of this! Soldier's take this man down, but I want him alive! He will be crucified for his crimes!

The soliders continued to fight hard. The battle became even more difficult as the caged barbarians began to break free. Many roman soldiers were perishing in the battle, but even more bodies of barbarians, men, women and children, littered the Roman camp.

Those closest to the battle between Vindictus and the barbarian heard their General's orders, and rushed in to take the man down.

Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:30 pm
    ::Carra ran around a corner of a tent, sliding beneath the legs of a Roman soldier and into the view of the men closing in on her father::

<<PAPA!!!>>

::She darted towards him as the Roman soldier turned around and looped an arm around Carra's waist, hoisting her off the ground to keep her from going far. She screamed and kicked her feet, little dirt-smeared fingers clawed uselessly at the shining breastplate of the soldier. The Roman's hand rose into the air and the glint of a rigged dagger could be seen. As the men rushed in, Gwythnedd heard the distinctive screams of his daughter::

"CARRA!!! NO!!!"

::He let out a mighty yell and swung his sword with all his strength at neck level. Arching horizontally in a circle, he slit the throats and faces of the Romans that charged at him, stopping on one thick booted foot to stab at others that were fortunate enough to miss his blade. He turned when his path was clear to look frantically at his daughter. He had a slight hope of reaching her. Stabbing the next Roman to approach him, he let the sword lodge in the man's ribs and grabbed for a dagger at the Roman's belt. Turning with all his strength, he let the dagger fly at the Roman that held his daughter just as Lingo turned that same tented corner Carrahad moments ago. Time seemed to slow as a group of Roman soldiers tackled Gwythnedd to the ground. He looked up with fatherly eyes as the dagger made it's way into the Roman's neck. Blood gushed like a fountain of slow falling water. Lingo let with a growl and pounced the soldier from behind as Carra was dropped to the ground. The Roman toppled and lay on top of her as Lingo's massive body held him there. The Roman died quickly. Gwythnedd closed his eyes as the Romans held him to the ground, kicking him and cursing him in their sickening tongue. At least his daughter was safe::
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:03 pm
    ::Her ear still trained to the throes of the horn, Cait managed to pick out two voices - her family. Carra was in trouble! And so was Papa! Wheeling around, she tore off in the direction of the camp centre - the last place she had seen her father and where the voices seemed to be originating from. She did not slow her pace as she charged into the middle. Many Romans were sitting on her father, holding him to the ground. Lingo had a Roman on the ground and Carra was trying to get to father. Without a second thought, she rushed forward, picking up Carra under her arm and kept running. She took one backwards glance - only one - and met the tear-filled eyes of her father with hers. Only half a moment passed before her vision was obscured by another Roman, but so much was communicated. She had promised him to take care of the clan, not verbally, but she knew that is what he would want.

Coming up to where Erwan was being urged on by another clansman, she passed the kicking, screaming Carra off to the older warrior, took the horn in her own hands, and blew a resounding retreat call. Hurrying the others along, she caught a look at the General, grasping his side from an injury her father had given him. That very moment, she swore vengeance upon that man and his family. He would pay for all his crimes in full - that was her oath. With that, she turned and fled with her countrymen into the forest.::
    ...to the topTop

Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:08 am
    Vindictus smiled as his men took down the barbarian. Once the battle here was over, he would make sure the man was crucified for his defiance. He would make the display large enough to deter any future resistance from the barbarians.

He turned and began to walk away. He was in incredible pain from the blows struck by the barbarian, but he was the victor. None would dare to challenge him again. He looked at an available soldier.

Soldier! Fetch the medic to my tent immediately!

Soldier: At once, General!

Inside the camp, the barbarians began breaking off their attack and fleeing. The Romans did not give chase. The battle was heavy and strong, and they needed to tend to their own. Despite the loss of the Roman soldiers, the loss to the barbarians was much greater.

In another part of the camp, several soldiers had managed to finally pin the barbarian chieftain. It wasn't an easy task, and many soldiers were killed by the one man. Once he was finally captured and chained, some of the soldiers began kicking him and beating him while he was down. Some took perverse pleasure in seeing the man bleed, and try to hold back his cries of pain. The fact that he didn't cry out, only made some of the soldiers more upset.

Officer: Stop this beating at once! The General wished to see this man crucified, not beaten to death! The next person that lays a finger on the barbarian shall suffer a scourging!

The officer bent over and pulled the barbarian to his feet.

Officer: Time to hang, Beast!

Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:38 pm
    ::Carra screamed, kicked, cried, wailed, sobbed... She wanted her father. her little bitten nails dug into Caitriona's skin and her cheeks grew red with frustration. When handed to Erwan, she only strengthened her struggle against the elder warrior. She heard Lingo's barks as he turned and followed the fleeing barbarians. Carra continued her struggle until they were long past the Roman camp. When fatigue finally gripped at her little body, she slowly faded her efforts, but not the entire struggle. Every now and again a tiny whimper and spasm of muscle issued a kick of a leg or flail of an arm. Lingo trotted beside her as the elder barbarian carried her and craned his neck to lick Carra's cheek or drooping hand, getting a small groan and mumble out of the little child before she dropped back off into sleep::

::Coughing, Gwythnedd spit the combinations of blood and saliva onto the ground. Finally they had stopped beating him. A small price to pay for the safety of his daughters... of his clan. He smiled at the thought of his daughters... Caitriona, leading their clan like a true warrior... like their mother had... and Carra, little Carra wielding a sword! His little Carra, a warrior. He'd always hoped he'd see that day. He knew now he could die in peace and that in his death, it would only strengthen his clan to resist these animals. He was hoisted to his feet, prepared to hang until death took him into the halls of his ancestors. Crucifixion, he heard, was a painful ordeal... but his kind were bred on pain. He would resist until the last. His time to lead was over::
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:29 am
    ::Erwan didn't fully recover his mind when Cait handle him the little girl and took the horn to blow the retreat urgently. Many of their blood were lying deadly on the roman's camp soil, redden it with sorrows. The captives were running outside the camp now, trying to live as they could before all ended. Holding the little girl in one arm, the young Ureland son tried as he could to take his sister with them but the weight of the dead body was too much for him. He couldn't move faster and hardly did few steps like that before more of his kind pushed him in the flow. With rage and despair, he screamed his sister's name as if he hoped she could stand up and run with them, as if she could still live again. But she was gone with the spirits. His hand lost the contact with her arm for the last time of his life and as the little girl struggled against him strongly, Erwan followed the other. They ran, ran, ran until his breath started to suffocated him with the effort. His vision was blurred but he kept moving, hugging strongly the little girl until they were enough far from the romans.
    The child lowed her struggle and Erwan hold her tightly against his chest to comfort her. For a second, she was his sister to his eyes. Reality tore this miracle and he couldn't help but cry from the bottom of his heart. "You're safe little child, you're safe" he quietly told her with a little voice. The sorrow of the loss of his sister mixed with the little girl's fate was too much for him to handle. Tears rans on his redden cheeks without any words.::
    #1 fan of the dawn & twilight in Ruse, the twins in Route 666, the kiss in Sojourn
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:52 pm
    The Romans began gathering their wounded. The medics were busy with all the wounded soldiers. Some of the more seriously wounded soldiers were left to die, and those with minor injuries were also ignored, and only the heavily wounded with a chance of survival were assisted first. The only exception to this was General Vindictus, who was aided first.

Those soldiers that were unharmed or just suffering from minor wounds began also collecting the bodies of the dead barbarians. Those who were dying were killed as they lay on the ground, and then collected. They were all well aware of the General's wishes in regards to the dead of the enemy. It was the same order he always gave.

Poles were raised at the edges of the camp, and the dead bodies were lashed to the poles as a warning to any other enemy that dare attack his camp. There was only one barbarian who was allowed to continue living at this point. The barbarian chieftain. After all tasks were done, he would be crucified. For his crimes, he deserved the slow death, not the quick death experienced by the other barbarians. So, he too, would serve as a warning to all who defied the Roman Empire, and General Vindictus himself.

Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:23 pm
    ::Buried in the soft embrace of Erwan's arms, Carra cried into his shoulder. Too tired and to sad to speak, the young child just clung weakly to him and sobbed. At Erwan's feet, Lingo's ear stood straight, listening, and hearing only sobs and a muffled voice, they flattened against his scalp. His tail dropped and he stood on hind legs, pressing forepaws on Erwan's chest when they took moments to stop, and licked Carra's cheek. The child was cold, deathly cold. Lingo let out a whine and a bark, pacing by Erwan and wagging his tail at a low level. He sniffed the air and smelled only blood. Much as been spilled this day::

::Hanging with arms outstretched, the still proud chief of the Urelanders struggled to keep his chin up. He breathed slowly, calmly as best he could with the tightening strain of the muscles in his chest. His wrists were numb, bruised and blackened from the tightness of his bonds. His feet were tied and his wounds open to the crisp air. His kilt was tattered and torn, the pride of his clan damaged as the fabric. He opened his brown eyes and stared through the tangles of his red hair out towards freedom where at least his kin still had a chance to live. He coughed, the taste of blood prevailing among saliva in the depths of his throat. He spit, letting his blood fall to the ground. His ankles were burning and numb all at once. He ignored it. Pain was a fickle thing that he refused to let nag him. He took a deep breath once more and closed his eyes, fatigued sleep taking a deathly hold::
    Posted by Jas's Faces (Member #461) on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:18 pm
    Tiberius awoke in his tent. His head was hurting, and when he moved, he felt a slight wave of nausea. His head was bandaged from the blow that he had been struck. Slowly, Tiberius stood to his feet. He felt as if he were on a boat. He grabbed onto a chair next to his bed, in an attempt to stabilize himself. He could barely walk, but needed to find out what had happened.

Slowly, Tiberius walked towards the opening of his tent. Every step sent a wave of nausea and he felt like he would pass out. From his tent opening, he had a clear view of the cross in the center of the camp, and the posts outside the camp perimeter. It looked like the barbarian chieftain was hanging on the cross. He didn't know whether he was still alive, or had died. He could tell, though, that the barbarians on the posts were dead. It was a common practice for Vindictus to skewer his dead or dying enemies and post them as warnings to others.

Tiberius could stand no more. He was too light headed and nauseated. He fell to his knees and vomited. Th last thing he heard was the voice of a soldier shout for a medic as Tiberius completely lost consciousness.
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:52 pm
    ::Erwan felt completely lost. The rescue helped some captives to escape but the blood's price was too high and he couldn't believe it was something to pay for freedom. Could it be another path to follow? Why... why all these suffering and deaths. He cursed in his sadness the roman for their arrival and for making their life an hell. The face of his little sister was like dancing in his mind as he hoped for her to be in the Ureland spirit heaven. She was all he had with his mother and now they were all dead. The heart beat of Carra slowed now but that wasn't a peaceful state. Simply sadness. Erwan looked at Lingo and felt that he was trying to comfort the little girl. Realizing the horror of the situation, the young Ureland boy would have wanted to run far away, to think it was a nightmare but if so, he wouldn't awake soon. Carra was cold and he had only a thin green fabric shirt to cover her, hoping it would warm her a little more he embraced her with it carefully. He was sorry, he wanted to say how sad he was for her, how much he would prefer to die rather than knowing her to live as an orphan now. But words faded in his heart and his mind exploded. He remembered the lady named Cait and he quickly looked around him to see if she was safe too. She may be Carra's latest close friendly face on Ureland. He had to find her.::
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:36 pm
    ::Gently Carra looked up at Erwan, lifting her head from his shoulder. Her red hair was messy and little wisps of it flew about her cheeks and eyes in the wind. They were swollen and red from crying, glassy like the pale pools that bend around the highlands of Ureland. She sniffled, her little freckled cheeks scarletting::

"Down...please..."

::Her voice was hoarse, soft from the tense moments of screaming and crying before. Lingo whined softly and let out a small yip, pawing at both Erwan and Carra when manageable. The little Ureland princess looked down to her wolf and then back at Erwan in total silence. She looked.... sad. Lost in a sea of her own people. Lost.... so utterly lost. She repeated once more, lower lip tucking as she swallowed back another wave of tears that began to flood her large eyes::

"Please..."
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:56 am
    ((.....))
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:39 pm
    ::Her look broke definitely Erwan's heart. He wasn't the man he wanted to be, he wasn't the hero he wished to be. Only someone who brought tragedy into clans by a deadly plan. He was horrified by himself and ashamed in front of Carra.::

excuse me... I didn't want to... I didn't...

::With disgust, he threw his sword away and wraped up Carra with the last of his bloody fabric.::

((lol jas. some posts have been deleted?))
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:18 pm
    Caitriona

::So tired. So tired. The adrenaline from the fight was wearing off and her injuries threatened to consume her. Cait was helping a young boy - now a young orphan - along the unseen paths of the wood, herself barely staying upright. She limped from the wound in her leg she had received what seemed like ages ago and her breaths came in rasping, irregular gulps. Where was Carra? She had handed her to that boy Erwan and then stayed to make sure whoever was still moving got off the battlefield. More like a butchery. The thought made her sick - she was too tired to be angry. The boy, Kyior, was sobbing into her tunic. He had received a cut on his back that was quite deep and still bleeding. There was nothing she could do for him, but get him to a place where he could rest and have a drink of water. She hoped whoever was leading this retreat would know where to go. The group had put quite a distance between them and the Roman camp and she was starting to see more and more of her clansmen sitting down in small groups, cleaning and binding each other's wounds with some water from a spring and tree bark. Cait allowed the boy to slump near a group of women - one of which had found her husband. Immediately, they began caring for the boy, which made Cait smile. Their clan was one family, they all lived and died for each other. Many had died this day. Leaning on a tree for support, she narrowed her weary eyes and tried to find Carra in the midst of the blackening wood and the clanspeople. No sound escaped her mouth as she slowly slipped down the tree trunk into an exhausted, restless slumber.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:26 am
    Rescue wrote:
    ((lol jas. some posts have been deleted?))

((I don't think any posts were deleted. No one had posted here since December. I was just bumping it to prevent the thread from being deleted.))
    -- Come and join the fun.
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:36 am
    ((Hallo all from Joplin, MO!!! I'm just peeking on to see what's up and lo and behold!!! BRATH RP IS BACK!!! While I really have an overwhelming urge to post, it would be a long one which I unfortunately don't have the time to conjure up (you know me: everything detailed and long, blah blah blah) But I promise I WILL post upon my return home Monday night if not Tuesday afternoon. It will probably be the latter. Cheers all!))
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:42 am
    ::Carra's brown eyes, red rimmed and exhausted looked at Erwan again. her voice, still scratchy and hoarse, grew more insistent::

"Down please..."

::Erwan wrapped her tighter and she looked ready to cry in defeat. She hadn't the strength to struggle away herself::

"I want my Papa."

::Lingo, the loyal wolf who followed his best friend everywhere, felt Carra's distress. His nose picked up the scent of it in the air. He trotted in front of Erwan and stopped. His ears flattened against his skull and his shining white teeth bore in a growl. The fur on his lengthy back stood, giving the 6 foot long wolf a frightening appearance. He growled and widened his stance, reinforcing Carra's want to get down from Erwan's embrace::
    Posted by JAS4Yeshua (Member #80) on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:49 pm
    (( BUMP ))
    -- Come and join the fun.
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 am
    Erwan wanted to keep holding Carra, to protect her even if for that time they were safe but he knews her needs and Lingo was the closest being she had around. Softly, he released the child from his arms. The call of Carra for her father was like throwing an arrow on his heart as he didn't know what was the fate of him. If he wasn't around with them, then he was lying deadly in the roman camp, leaving an orphan. Erwan knelt down near Carra giving her a sad smile.

"Do you want us to walk around for him?"

He didn't knew if that was the right thing to do but it was the only thing to do, hoping that the man was alive.
    "Comics are like chips, you can't read just one." Rebleila
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:02 pm
    ::Carra wiped her nose with her sleeve and trained her brown eyes on the earth beneath her feet::

"N-no.... I j-just w-want to f-find h-h-him."

::Tears swelled and flooded her cheeks until she turned and ran from Erwan. She wrapped her arms around Lingo and, in one fluid motion, she grabbed the furr on his neck and threw her leg over his back. The wolf's ears flattened and he took off at a gallop. His paws carried he and his young passenger away from the defeated clan of Urelanders. Tears streamed down Carra's cheeks as she clutched tightly to Lingo::

"I'm coming P-papa."
    ...to the topTop

Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:20 am
    "We will find him..."

He was at first surprised by Carra and Lingo running away but quickly, he bounced, trying to catch the back of the wolf to keep them motionless but he was too short. He had to stop her before she could reach the Romans' camp, at least that was were he thought they were running. Using the last of his energy, the young Urelander ran after Carra in his sight. His race was unsure and he felt the pain echoeing in all his body each time his feet touched the grown but he kept on following the child on her wolf.

"Carra, wait!" He screamed.
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:58 pm
    Caitriona

::Rousing herself slightly, she found a clan member tending a wound in her arm. She gave the woman a tired smile which quickly turned to an alarmed look. Hearing Erwan's cry, she lept to her feet and immediately starting running towards his voice. People were looking at her and when she tripped over a log, a couple of men came over to her and tried to hold her back. They could see Carra's retreating head and guessed what she was about to do. Cait was exhausted and she couldn't make her mouth form words, but she pleaded with them with her eyes to let her go and get Carra. Some of the young men who had been captured took up sticks to use as staffs and made ready to chase after Carra. With a determined look in her eye, Cait pushed herself from the ground, strode over to where someone had started a small pile of branches that would be useful for spears, picked one up and joined the four boys. The look she gave them was not to be taken lightly. They looked to some of the elders, who shrugged and waved them off. With that, they turned and melted into the wood as their people were meant to do, following the trail left by Lingo and Carra.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:13 am
    Catching a strong wolf, even with a child, running through the forest was hopeless but Erwan didn't abandon his race. Noways he would let Carra alone, seeking for her father who could be dead and she would most likely meet a Romans group. His heart beated faster and faster and his vision was blurred. The trees started to be twisted and Erwan had to stop, falling on his knees. He breathed hardly now and crawled, following the marks left by Lingo.

"Carra!!!"
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:22 pm
    ::Carra held a tight fist of Lingo's light furr in her hands as he ran through the hills of Ureland. The lush green faded to approached brown and sparse trees and then to the desolation the Roman Pigs had upon their beautiful land. Dust rose from the slightly parched and over worked ground. Lingo's ears were streamlined against his skull as he ran with his tongue hanging. As the ground gave way to dirt and mud a horrible stench arose that made Lingo's run descend into a trot. He eventually stopped and Carra slid from his back. Her boots sunk into the mud and she kept a hand warily on Lingo's back, in case they needed to flee quickly.

There were poles set up all along the muddy road. Black birds flew over them in circles, hovering there like inky-winged stars. As Carra moved closer her eyes grew wide. Human remains, bones, strings of tendons and sinew- whatever had been left by the scavengers- in tattered cloth that was once clothes. She recognized many as fellow clan members. She did not cry, but merely stared up at the whole bodies that remained with dread and agitation. In the distance, Roman soldiers paced::

"...Carra..."

::Carra jumped and looked up in the direction the voice came. Her eyes went wide and she stared with a horrid fixation at the body of her father upon the Roman poles. The sight of him made her muscles turn as unstable as the mud under her feet. She held Lingo tighter and stared up at him. She did not speak for a long time, though her lower lip trembled as if she were on the verge of tears.

Gwythnedd's chest heaved as he struggled to fight against suffocation. His wounds were raw and bleeding and the scavengers had picked at his fingers and toes. He was helpless to stop them and could only suffer. He felt more suffering now that his youngest was here::

"Carra...*Gasp, wheeze* What are ye doing 'ere?"

::She stared up at her father with a wide open mouth. her lower lip trembled as she slowly moved from Lingo towards the blackened, mauled form of her father's feet. She wanted to reach up and touch them, just to touch him, but Lingo's whine as he sniffed the blood on the ground made her pause. She opened her mouth several times to speak, but could do nothing but stare at him::

"Carra-"

"I c-came te rescue y-ye, Papa..."

::Gwythnedd's face softened and fella t the same time. he'd been afraid of that but was proud of her at the same time. Then again... he feared. There were soldiers here::

"Child.. ye should not be 'ere. Go back to the camp. Plese, Carra. Go."

::The child swallowed and stared up at her father. Tears sprang to her eyes. She felt rooted to the spot by an unknown power. She had tog et him out, had to save him... she HAD to::

"I-I can't."
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:09 am
    ::Gwythnedd looked down at Carra. She'd always been a little warrior, but she'd always obeyed him as well::

"Carra... plese go back! Yeh must go back and help Caitriona unite the clans. You must get out of here. Fer the sake of Ureland GO!"

::Carra couldn't move. Her lower lip trembled as she tried to speak. She couldn't do that either. Her father's stern voice was raspy. He coughed and his chest heaved::

"Child, I'm dying-"

"Papa, no!

"- yeh can't do eh thing fer me, Carra. I'm sorry."

::Her heart broke. She looked up as her father erupted into a fit of coughing and wheezing. His face was ashen and his lips turned bluer by the second. Horror struck her numb and she whimpered::

"P-papa...?"

::Gythnedd looked down at his youngest born and opened his mouth. There was a small, desperate choking noise and he tried to form words::

"C-caaarraaa..."

::The child's eyes watered. The proud chief's eyes rolled into his head. His body twitched and then hung limp on the Roman cross. His head bowed. The chieftain and father died. Carra shook her head as tears sprung into her eyes::

"P-p-p-"

::She stumbled forward in the mud and nearly fell, blinded by her tears. She reached up and clutched the blackened skin of her father's bound feet. She had to stretch her arms to do it and a few times the mud slid. She jumped to try and hold onto him, just to hold him. Her cries grew louder::

"Papa! Papa! Papa! PAPA!!!"

::She could only cry his name over and over again as she sunk to the base of the cross in defeat. She'd failed. He was gone. Carra curled up around the wooden pole that held her father from her reach and cried. Lingo's ears fell behind his head and his tail tucked between his legs. He took hold of Carra's blouse and tugged, trying to pry her away from this place. She wailed and her little arms stayed fast about the pole. Lingo whined and circled he pole several times. In the end he curled up next to his little girl and lay guard over her as she wept at the base of the cross where her father hung, dead::
    Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:43 pm
    Caitriona

::She had to keep moving. She had to get to Carra. Cait stumbled along the easily lost trail, leaning heavily on her staff to keep her upright. She ignored the concerned glances the men were throwing her way and kept going. As they neared the Roman camp, the started slowing down and keeping more and more to the shadows. When they got to the edge of the clearing, Cait's breath caught in her throat and her hand went to her mouth lest any sound escape. There were so many bodies, but the Romans had dishonored them even more my hanging their clansmen on trees. And of course, there was Carra, right in the thick of them. She soon realized why her sister had chosen that particular cross to lay under - on it was their father. Cait bit her lip and hung her head. He was dead. If only she had been watching Carra better, he might have escaped with the rest of them. It was her fault. Cait turned her attentions to the Romans once more. Luckily, they had not heard the small girl's cries - yet - and were patrolling in an uninterested manner. Cait brought herself even lower to the ground and made eye contact with Lingo. How that wolf could understand Carra and what was going on was beyond her, but she said a silent thank-you to him for keeping her sister safe thus far. Creeping closer, she wrapped her arms around her little sister, leaning her head on the cross to do so. It was slick with blood, but her tears soon wiped away the gore from her face. The tears were hot, raining down as she had kept them in for so long. She was angry, sad, and afraid. Now, she was alone as well. No, not alone, she scolded herself. Her sister and many of her clan were still alive. She would have to see to it that they stayed that way. They had to leave before the Romans came to check their victims. She rose slightly and started to gently pull Carra away to the safety of the wood.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:29 pm
    ::Lingo caught Caitriona's eyes and blinked at her with his eerie lupin orbs. His tail wagged and he stood and barked three times, whining a high pitched whine as he stood and looked towards his fellow clansmen. he was happy to see them, at least. Carra seemed not to notice. Nor did she notice when Cait came forward and embraced her and their father's demise.

She was shivering and welcome the warm embrace, though she did not remove her hands that so tightly clenched the pole of the Roman cross. She was almost asleep, having cried herself into exhaustion, and in the twilight between sleep and awake she dreamed that her father hugged her, so tight and so warm. He did not let her go, ever, and she kissed him over ande over again until he cried from being so happy to see her again. She cried too, having thought she'd lost him forever.

It was Caitriona's tears that moistened her hair, not the mighty Gwythnedd's. The gentle tug away from her father's resting place jolted Carra awake. Immediately she screamed a high itched screech that echoed over the flat lands of mud and decay. Surely the Romans would hear that? Carra's eyes were clenched tight as a vice and her little arms, no matter how hard Caitriona tugged, refused to budge. With every tug, Carra screamed a loud, high-octave scream that only little girls could hit. When they paused and approached to try their luck again, though her eyes were closed, she screamed, somehow sensing their presence and their intent. She would not leave her father::
    Posted by Rescue (Member #46) on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:02 am
    When Erwan caught Carra again, he felt relieved to see her not harmed by Roman legion, under the protection of her sister Cait and few other Urelander. He didn't move toward them and helped himself with a tree to stand. The breeze was still cold and slapped his face. It was now time to realize how he did wrong at the battle and how terrible it was to send children to fight an army. Among all that, losing his only sister was the more hurting, making him wish to have the chance to twist the history. But that was impossible.

"I'm sorry. Never should I lose my vigilance and let her go." He said when their path crossed his."
    ...to the topTop

Posted by quaxo9 (Member #85) on Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:07 pm
    Caitriona

::Cait actually cringed at the pitch Carra reached with her voice. The sound set her teeth on edge, not just from the noise, but at who would hear it. Her head snapped up in time to see the guards pause and look in their direction. *SCHREEECH!!!* Cait clapped her hand over Carra's mouth and started to forcefully drag the child away from the cross. Three clansmen appeared out of the night, one helped drag Carra away. The other two held bundles of sticks which they promptly laid against the cross of their chieftain. The last boy to accompany them ran out of the Roman camp, a torch held high. He reached the cross in an instant and lit the dry branches, starting a funeral pyre. Romans were starting to pour out of their encampment and the "barbarians" withdrew to the forest to watch from the safety of the wood and pay their last respects to their fearless leader.::

My RPG Bio and Picture
    Posted by SilntAngl5 (Member #64) on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:02 pm
    ::Lingo whimpered and ducked low to the ground. His tail tucked between his legs and his ears flattened. He whined and licked his jaw, looking up at Carra pitifully.

The little Urelander continued to scream even as Cait gagged her mouth. The highest pitch of the screech was still audible. She kicked and writhed as she was dragged away. The entire time her eyes were fastened on the lifeless body of her father. Tears welled into her eyes until his visage was blurred beyond recognition. She screamed louder, never wanting to lose sight of her father again. She watched them prop the sticks and wheezed. Her chest was tight, refusing the air she gulped down. She stuttered out fragments of words that made no sense together.

The torch... she had to stop the torch. He could still be alive but hurt too badly to tell anyone. Her eyes bulged and she was hoarse from screaming. The only sounds she made were squeaky whimpers. Tears fell down her cheeks as the flames began to lick their way upward onto the pole. She stared, barely blinking. The flames flickered in her eyes as she watched her father's funeral. She was unable to speak.

Lingo threw his head back and howled. The Romans paused as it echoed over the desolate terrain. The wolf howled long into the night::
    ...to the topTop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12