Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Jonathan Blake & Megan Phillips

Megan laughed when Karen mentioned that Austin would be able to climb back in if they pushed him out the window. Sure, she was still a bit scared and upset - and her hand hurt -, but joking with a friend made things easier and more relaxing. It made her feel that everything would be all right.

When Austin said he'd write a whole essay about the movie, Meg rolled her eyes. "I'll hold you to that promise, so you better work on it", she replied, pinching Jon. "As for you, you get to be our personal slave for the rest of the night. Snacks are your job".

Jon made a face, pretending she had hurt him with her pinching. "Ouch, Meg. Fine, anything so you won't pinch me again", he replied with a grin.

Megan shook her head and got the movie rolling, before resting her head on Jonathan's shoulder. She was trying to pay attention to the screen, but it was obvious Meg was a bit distracted, paying attention to every little sound they could hear around them.

Austin O'Connor & Karen Reynolds

Karen was glad to see Meg laughing. After what had happened, the girl thought it was important that they all be able to joke around. It had been scary, but joking seemed to ease the tension. Make everything feel more normal. Austin grabbed a notebook and pen.

"I'll take lots of notes during it. It'll be so awesome, I'll be able to use it as a thesis paper at school."

He said and Karen shook her head with a smile.

"You can hope."

She settled next to Austin on the couch and hoped that the movie would help everyone forget about what had happened earlier.

Megan was starting to feel better now. She was trying hard to convince herself that whatever had happened had been some sort of strange coincidence. While it was a very strange one, and, rationally, Meg didn't think all that had happened could be attributed to mere coincidence, the least rational part of her wanted to believe it. A series of odd coincidences was, after all, less scary than an angry spirit targeting then.

When Austin said his notes would be so awesome he would be able to use them as a thesis paper at school, Megan rolled her eyes.

"50 bucks say you can't develop a real thesis on the movie", she teased. Meg loved to tease her friends, and, even though she was offering a bet, she would never hold Austin to it. It was still fun to joke around, though.

After offering the bet, Meg found a better position next to Jon and focused on the movie, hoping nothing more would happen tonight - and preferably, ever.

Meanwhile, Jon was silent, keeping an eye on Meg. He still felt guilty, and had decided he would keep his full attention on at all times, and make sure nobody else would have to get hurt due to his stupid ideas.

"Challenge accepted."

Austin told Megan with a determined look on his face and held out his hand to shake on it. He was never one to turn down a bet. Karen shook her head at him, but thought that this was also a good idea. This movie could distract them. They never should have played with that damn board. It was a bad idea...She could already hear her grandmother. She was going to get so chewed out for this. Some things you weren't supposed to mess with. The spirit world was one of them, Grandmother always said.

Karen settled next to Austin on the couch and hoped that nothing else was going to happen tonight. It had already been crazy enough as it was.

Megan smiled and shook Austin's hand when he accepted her challenge. "I'm looking forward to seeing it." She really was, and she was sure whatever Austin came up with would be hilarious. And she was really willing to pay for the chance of seeing her friend's attempt at a thesis on a kid's movie. It would be distracting, at least, and they all needed a distraction right now. Anything to get their mind off the stupid board they should never have played with.

Letting out a sigh, Megan rested her head on Jon's shoulder and kept watching the movie, silent apart from a laughter here and there.

She'd started relaxing half way through the movie. Everything was alright. Nothing was going to happen, right?

At least that was her thought until all of the lights went out suddenly. "Oh, come on!," she yelled out, trying to cover her fear with frustration. "Really? Now, of all times?"

"It'll be so great that when I let Professor Novak read it, he'll send it to be published."

Austin replied to Megan with a smirk. Karen rolled her eyes.

"Sure he will."

She very much doubted that their English professor was going to think Austin's paper would be that amazing. Austin pretended to be offended.

"Karen, I'm hurt you would would even say that."

"You'll survive."

She said patting his arm with a smirk. Joking, that felt food. It felt normal. Not like before, not when they messed with the Ouija board. They would watch the movie and be able to relax, Karen thought. It would be just be a normal night. Just friends hanging out, having fun. Like how tonight was supposed be.

"Make sure you take lots of notes."

She told her boyfriend, who replied.

"I will."

And he had actually had a notebook and a pen out to do just that. Things were starting to feel a little normal when, suddenly, the lights went out. Karen couldn't cover her fear, like Megan had, and screamed. Austin tightened his arm around her shoulders.

"It's okay. It's probably just a blown fuse. I'll check it out."

He said, finding his cellphone in his pocket and using the flashlight app on it.

"Where's the breaker box?"

He asked.

Megan rolled her eyes when Austin bragged about how great his paper would be. "Sure, sure. I'll believe it when I see it."

It felt nice to poke some fun at a friend. It was much better than thinking about Ouija boards, evil spirits and scary things. It had been a coincidence, of course. Nothing more would happen. At least Megan hoped. And so did Jonathan, who felt really guilty about this whole situation.

"I'll want to check your notes before you write the paper. We need to make sure you wrote it yourself," Megan demanded with a mock-serious expression. Of course she wanted to see the workings of Austin's mind, as she was sure his notes would be hilarious.

Her sense of going back to normal died when the lights went out, though, and Megan held Jonathan's hand, shaking like a leaf in the dark. It took them both some time to speak when Austin asked where the breaker box was. "In the kitchen, I'll show you." Jonathan finally spoke up.

"You're not leaving me here!" Megan protested. "And if I'm going with you, we can't leave Karen alone here either!" She decided, not sure what the hell was going on. Jonathan sighed. This was really starting to get to him.

"Okay. Hold my hand." Megan said, and then held out her hand to Karen, after using her free hand to grab her phone as a source of light and putting it back in her pocket. "Come on, hold my hand. I don't want anyone to be alone anywhere right now."
    Last edited by Shades; 05-27-2019 at 02:54 PM.

"Your lack of faith upsets me, Meg."

Austin told her, pretending to be hurt. Karen rolled her eyes.

"Sure, it does."

Austin stuck his tongue out at his girlfriend. After what happened earlier, they needed to joke around. Austin was willing to play the role of jokester to help get everyone back into a happy mood. Especially when he had been so eager to use the stupid board to begin with.

"How dare you accuse of plagiarism?"

Austin told Megan, pretending to be offended that he would dare do such a thing.

"I'll have you know, my writing is so great that I know Professor Novak will recommend the university give me a PhD once he reads it."

"Now you're just full of shit."

Karen told her boyfriend and he winked.

"Not yet. I got to eat some tacos first."

"Gross."

She said, slapping his arm. The joking ended when the lights went out.

"We'll all go."

Karen said, not wanting to be left alone in the dark. After earlier...Being in the dark didn't sound fun. She stood up and took Megan's hand. Austin said.

"Lead the way, Jon. Don't worry, guys, I'm sure it's nothing. Just a fuse."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456