Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Storytime

Dad's Father’s Citizenship

There was a time when Dad’s father had to prove his citizenship twice over.

Dad’s father was born in 1898 in Hemet County, California. In the early 1900’s, the county building burned down, and all records were lost. So the earliest records they had were from 1920, stating that he was in San Luis Obispo County. So Dad’s father got a signed affidavit from his mother saying where and when he was born.

However, during the First World War, the U.S.A granted citizenship to everyone who had served in the army. So they accepted his mother’s affidavit plus proof of his time in the army as the two necessary proofs of citizenship. If he had had the records from Hemet County, he wouldn’t have needed the rest.
    Last edited by Anne Elizabeth Baldwin; 09-21-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Dad Makes and Repairs Musical Instruments

The Broken Banjo Neck

I was living in Minneapolis. I had gone to school there and was now working as a teacher. I taught English which had nothing to do with my interests in botany and science. But I was always good at wood working and did musical instrument repair working out of my home. People would send my instruments from as far away as Colorado. One day I got package in the mail with a broken fingerboard from a banjo. I had to make a whole new fingerboard. I made all the measurements and made an exact duplicate he could glue back on the neck. To ship it back to the customer, I attached the fingerboard to a two by four with tape. Everything seemed as secure as it could be. But a week or so later, the customer called to tell me the whole thing had broken in shipping. How do you break a two-by-four? How? It must have been run over by one of the trucks, but I still don’t understand how it could have broken.

But the fingerboard was insured and I was able to make a new one. No problem. I got the insurance money and sent him the new fingerboard and everyone was happy.

Back in Hilo:

The Frenchman

In the mid 1960’s, the Hilo Extension of the University of Hawai’i hosted a French Institute to teach high school French Teachers. The institute staff were native French Speakers.

Dad drove a vehicle to take some of the institute staff around Hilo. He showed the around town, and they happened to pass Hirose Nursery, which had been founded by Mr. and Mrs. Hirose, a Nisei couple of Japanese ancestry. It was a nursery and plant shop that grew plants, and sold plants on the local market.

After the vehicle passed Hirose Nursery, one of the teaching staff members asked “What kind of a rose is a Hirose?” He pronounced it as if that was a kind of a rose: HE-rohz. (Mr. and Mrs. Hirose (and most folks in Hilo) pronounced it the Japanese way, with three syllables: hee-ROH-see.)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789