Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fractured Fairy Tales

Fractured Fairy Tales

I've been kicking around an RP idea for awhile now, and I wanted to see if there was any interest in it. No pressure, of course.

The idea is this: Each player picks a fairy tale as their starting point. The original villain of that tale is now secretly the hero. The reason for that is up to you - maybe they were misunderstood, or were acting in self-defense, or made an honest error in judgment, or maybe what we think we know of them from the original stories is just flat-out lies. Regardless of the reason, the point is that the fairy tales are turned on their head and seen from another perspective. The characters then team up to try to fix what went wrong and/or to rebuild a new life in a hostile world that is convinced of their villainy.

Let me know if you want to take part, kick around ideas, etc.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

This sounds possible. I do like fairy tales. I'm just trying to think of a story I'd like to pick where that would work. Some of my favorite fairytales don't have villains who might be hard to work with, since they tend to end up dead. {rueful smile}

{bite lips} Unless I could pick someone who wasn't the main villain, but who turns adversarial, then leaves the story before the climax? That might be very interesting indeed, especially if you don't mind me using a Hawaiian legend. One of my favorites is Kawelo, Roving chief. The king who steals the hero's kingdom I think dies in the last battle. The favorite son who betrays his father the hero is executed by the father, despite mourning the loss deeply. But the arms-master who disowns his daughter and the hero for marrying each other stays home and doesn't get involved in the big battle, so he should still be alive afterwards. {Smile}

That sounds like a cool story to use. I think it would work well.

That said, I don't personally consider the villain dying in the story to mean that person can't be used. This is our own work of fiction, after all - some artistic license can be applied. In our version they don't have to be dead.

I wish I could use the traitor-son, but his death is too important to the story. Neither Hawaiian law nor the importance to the story would accept banishment as a substitute. So we'll just have to settle for the disowning father-in-law. I always suspected he had trouble sticking by that after the first grandkid showed up.

So tempting....I think the Evil Queen from Snow White would be fun to play in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    So tempting....I think the Evil Queen from Snow White would be fun to play in this.
    Haha that was one I was considering too. I have plenty of other ideas though. You can do that one.

So... I thought I could make forums, but apparently I can't. If you guys are up for doing this, Jenny would you be willing to set it up for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Kitty View Post
    So... I thought I could make forums, but apparently I can't. If you guys are up for doing this, Jenny would you be willing to set it up for us?
    You greenies have editing power & what not.... But the true power is Red & Blue.

Sound cool, but most Fairy tails & what not are lost one me, I mean growing up
    Aladdin was me favorite Disney.... But I dislike Jaffar....

Also as far as differences... dead or alive... there are many versions of fairy tails....
    Disney, Has Cristian Anderson, Brothers Grimm.... and many more.....
    Unfortunately Legends not so much, they are usually key too a specific location/area.
    An as such not much wiggle room as Anne said...
    Trying to catch M in posts

Supporters
    MystikChronicler
    Minity

Quote Originally Posted by Jacen Bell View Post
    You greenies have editing power & what not.... But the true power is Red & Blue.

Sound cool, but most Fairy tails & what not are lost one me, I mean growing up
    Aladdin was me favorite Disney.... But I dislike Jaffar....

Also as far as differences... dead or alive... there are many versions of fairy tails....
    Disney, Has Cristian Anderson, Brothers Grimm.... and many more.....
    Unfortunately Legends not so much, they are usually key too a specific location/area.
    An as such not much wiggle room as Anne said...
    I know there's not much wiggle room, but Kawelo is a long-time favorite. Plus, like I said, I've always suspected that the father-in-law had trouble with his decision to disown his daughter and her husband after the first grandkid showed up.

What do you like about Alladin? Maybe that will give a clue to a story you'd rather work with here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast