Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Help with socializing

Help with socializing

I need more ways and places to socialize. I'm kind of stuck now, and that really needs to change. Now some will be in person when we come up with opportunities that work out inperson, but between my vertigo not letting me drive, and needing to be with Mom, online has some distinct advantages.

I'm hoping folks here have suggestions. Some of the best online socializing I'm doing now is on this board, so it seems like a good place to ask.

I know you like to read, have you tried joining a book club?

This may seem like an odd suggestion, but have you ever tried MMO gaming? It can be a fun way to socialize in a virtual world with people you know, and to make some new online friends.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    I know you like to read, have you tried joining a book club?
    I've tried the online equivalent to a book club, and made some wonderful friends there, Sojourn. I even met Daveosaurus there. But the one I joined was on a system that is now quite passť. Maybe I need to find a new one, but I'm not quite sure where to start looking for one. The internet is a lot more complicated and broken up than it was when I found the first one. Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Anne Elizabeth Baldwin; 11-13-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Kitty View Post
    This may seem like an odd suggestion, but have you ever tried MMO gaming? It can be a fun way to socialize in a virtual world with people you know, and to make some new online friends.
    It doesn't sound odd, mainly because another friend made in the same online-equivalent-to-a-book-club that I first met Daveosaurus in has suggested them a couple of times. She even recommended certain ones. If you think they're good, too, do you have any suggestions of specific games?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Elizabeth Baldwin View Post
    It doesn't sound odd, mainly because another friend made in the same online-equivalent-to-a-book-club that I first met Daveosaurus in has suggested them a couple of times. She even recommended certain ones. If you think they're good, too, do you have any suggestions of specific games?
    It really depends on what is of interest to you. I have active accounts in Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and Final Fantasy XIV. Quaxo and Tigers play GW2 also.

There are three basic models for MMO gaming: monthly fee, buy to play, and free to play. As you can see from my list, the ones I play fall into all three categories, but you would need to decide which you are most comfortable with. My personal preference is buy to play, because you don't have to spend on it every month, but it doesn't usually have the same level of microtransactions for every little thing that you see in completely "free" games. That's just my own preference, though.

GW2 does have free trial accounts so you could see if you like it before you buy anything, if that one is every something you want to try. We also have a forum RP based on that game, as you have likely seen.
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 11-13-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Actually, I haven't seen the forum RP of that game. I seem to be having a terrible time spotting it. Could you point it out?

Thanks for the mention of games you play. Another friend plays Lord of the Rings Online, so I've already peeked at that one, but I think I need to give it a more thorough look. I'll look the others over, too, especially Guild Wars 2. I have found following friends into new places reassuring at first. Tho our time zones might not make that work out well. {Smile}

Correction: I finally spotted Guild Wars 2 here, so I'll look it over. Thanks.
    Last edited by Anne Elizabeth Baldwin; 11-13-2017 at 11:54 PM.

MK? I've been thinking I have another friend who plays Lord of the Rings Online, and I do know the world, races, etc. Add in that the free part looks big enough to play in without feeling too restricted while I'm deciding if I like this sort of thing, and it looks tempting. But I know there can be important decisions while setting up. A friend suggested choosing a particular server if I went into World of Warcraft, for instance. Are there any important decisions I should know ahead for LOTRO? Thanks! {Hopeful Smile}

I don't really know as much about LOTRO as the other things I play. I'm still kind of feeling that one out, so I don't really have any great advice.

I play on the Brandywine server primarily for LOTRO, though the various servers in that game don't seem hugely different.
    Last edited by Monkey Kitty; 12-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Okay. Thank you for explaining.

You seem to know more about Guild Wards, 2, and it would help the game I've played here, so do you have any advice for that one?
    Last edited by Anne Elizabeth Baldwin; 12-10-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast