Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Crossovers (Sliders/Exiles Type SL) OOC Thread

Crossovers (Sliders/Exiles Type SL) OOC Thread

Straight from the drawing board, inspired by M's comment in another OOC Thread, and through discussions via IM, I'm throwing this idea for a new SL to you, to fish for interest and ideas.

Silders (early seasons) - A young genius creates a device to travel between dimensions for a limited time. An accident happens and he, his professor, his girlfriend and a singer in the wrong place at the wrong time, wind up in another dimension without a way of getting back to their dimension. The four travel from dimension to dimension, trying to find their way home.

Exiles - A team of super heroes are picked by some strange guy to go around and fix things in alternate dimensions, that you later find out he (actually "they") broke.

So, you get the idea. Travelling between dimensions. I'm leaning on having this SL being more along the lines of Sliders, where the group of characters are trying to find the way back to their universe. There's no "higher power" controlling their destination.

For added flavor, throw in a little Negation style drama, in the fact that none of the characters (or few of them) know the others. They are probably from different dimensions. They are stuck together for a common cause, and that is survival and finding a way back to their own home dimension.

To add to the challenge, let's tone down the power of the characters. We aren't dealing with gods. We're dealing with mortals. Since the mortals come from different dimensions, and different types of worlds, the type of character could be practically unlimited. We just want to keep things in balance, so the mortals shouldn't be powerful.

Now, I'm opening the thread up to comments, ideas, questions, and petitions to join.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

Can we use already established characters? *Can we? *Can we? *Can we?

Maybe I could throw in Clonathan III, or the Sinister Duck, or even Eve Angelyst, since I never got to use her in that storyline which name escapes me... * *Or I can come up with someone entirely new and powerless like Aquaman .

And as we cross from one dimension into others, could we be visiting DC or Marvel established games? *

So many questions! *

M
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Sure, you can use existing characters if you want. Just as long as they aren't powerful (mortals with limited powers) and are human/humanoid in appearance. There can be funny things in the SL, but, unlike the QC1 quest, this shouldn't be completely silly.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Oh, and crossing into established stories. I don't see why not, if others approve, but for the most part, I see it taking place in separate threads. The idea is that they go from place to place in different dimensions, not visiting the same dimension more than once.
    ...to the topTop

Ooooh. I want in. Love Sliders. Love Exiles. Oooooh.

Traveller. I can bring her back to active play.
    John

Lord Mattson, LM, Matts, its all the same.
    ...to the topTop

Re: Sliders/Exiles Type SL Idea

Re: Sliders/Exiles Type SL Idea

*thinkthinkthink* *Gah, I wanna join, but I've got too many ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sanborn
    We just want to keep things in balance, so the mortals shouldn't be powerful.
    What level of 'not powerful' are we referring to? *Early season Sliders not powerful or midlevel D&D characters not powerful?
    ...to the topTop

And I've got an idea for the how and why they want to get home. The Crossover gem. What if someone shattered it?
    ...to the topTop

I think I will go with a fresh character, so I don't have too much background story. *Let me see what I can come up with. *

By the way, I'm in .

M

PS: *I love the idea of the Crossovers Gem shattering
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    For power level: Basically, in CGVerse, no First, Secundae, Sigil Bearers or the like. In DC/Marvel Verse, no super hero types. In D&D Terms, mid-level would be about right. The idea is to keep all the characters at roughly the same level, without one dominating in power, and so that any normals they encounter in the various dimensions will still pose a challenge, while slightly enhanced at other dimensions will not be overly dangerous.

The shattering of the Crossover Gem is a great idea. I was wondering how we could get different people from different dimensions in one place. That sounds like a nice solution. The shattering of the Crossover Gem caused people to get scattered across the dimensions, along with fragments of the gem. As the pieces are recovered, the characters move onto other locations, trying to rebuild the gem, which may or may not be possible, but gives the characters reason to move on. This also allows for the opportunity of players to enter at a later time, as new characters can be introduced in whatever dimension we're in, and they could be just as lost.
    ...to the topTop

Maybe the Crossover Gem fragments cause irregularities wherever they fall. *Not only creating doorways, but allowing realities to blend and deeply harming them in the process. *

Our characters can be chosen or recruited or maybe even "infected" in a way that they can track down these fragments. *So, not only they should be gathering the pieces, but they would also be needing to fix some of the altered facts resulting from the "crossover" of realities.

Anyway, there's a lot to chose from.

As for my character, I decided to recreate a character I wrote about ages ago, back in college. *Of course, with a spin, because she needs to be updated . *She's called Dana and she's a Tarot reader goth girl. *She's in her early 20's and knows a lot of stuff from esoterism and such things. *Of course, she's not in Dr. Strange's level. *She's just plain human, like a friend of any of us who reads Tarot cards and gets interested in the supernatural. *She's somewhat a sensitive as well, but this is far from making her a telepath or such.

Also, she comes with an attitude and a strong sex drive .

M
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast