Review by Tigers

Writer: Greg Pak
Penciler: Greg Land
Inker: Matt Ryan
Colorist: Justin Ponsor

Once again we jump into the frey of the NEVER ENDING Saga of the Phoenix Force. In these 5 issues, Jean Grey has been dead for quite awhile and Scott Summers has moved on to a new love interest Emma Frost. In the first issue, we see the Phoenix Force return to Earth to seek out it's long time host, Jean Grey, only to discover she died. The Phoenix seems to be missing something, and she feels that Scott Summers has the answer to what is missing, so the Phoenix Force resurrects Jean's long dead body.

In the issues to follow, we see the X-Men unite to stop the Phoenix Force from wreaking havok and destroying the world or more.This is the epic story of Jean battling the Dark Phoenix within the Phoenix Force itself. For those of you who may not have read these 5 issues yet, the story line is not badly written. It was actually a touching tribute to one of the X-Men's favorite women in the final pages of issue 5. The pencils by Greg Land give a lovely version of my favorite X-Man and Justin Ponsor has some beautiful eye catching colors.

Things that I did not like about the issues overall, it's continual overkill of Jean Grey and the story of the Phoenix possession. The fact that they have taken one of my favorite characters and turned her into a character to be loathed by many, due to the fact they are tired of the same story line of Jean dying, Jean being reborn as the Phoenix and then right back to the beginning. The irony, the Phoenix is a mythical tale of a bird the dies, buring to ashes, only to be reborn within it's own remains. I only have a few things to say to Marvel: Quit messing around with our favorite characters making them into characters to be loathed. Your only making people wish that characters like Jean would just stay dead, which is not something I want to see.

If you like the whole Scott Summers and Emma Frost relationship, or you like the writer, artist, or colorist, then pick this one up. I don't think you'll be too disappointed. If your like me, and you are tired of Marvel ruining your favorite character, killing them off, or tired of them reinventing the wheel, then don't pick it up!