Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Start of Term

Eve Travers
    Hogwarts - Great Hall

Eve's first thought was, They must not know who I am.

Surely they had just spotted an unfamiliar face, and been kind enough to pass around some generic friendliness. Had they known, surely they would have reacted the same way the others had.

But no, this professor - Rosemary - knew her name. So Eve's second thought was, They must be mocking me.

That had happened at her very first feast in this Hall, too. A couple of older girls with expensive shoes had pretended to want to be Eve's friends, only to laugh at her eagerness with their real circle. Eve had experienced many such moments as a Hogwarts student.

She knew the smart thing to do would be to make an excuse and stay where she was. But Eve suddenly realized... she didn't care. There was nothing left to lose. Nothing left to mock. No sliver of pride left that could be torn away. She couldn't be hurt; she made too small a target.

"Alright," Eve said softly, and followed them to the seat they had saved. Belatedly, she added in an almost whisper, "Thanks."

Though she didn't trust their intentions, she was genuinely grateful for a moment of human contact, even if it was an illusion. Eve realized how much she missed those moments.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Rosemary Bain

Rosemary’s easy gait led the three along the rear of the dias to the far end of the long head table. She made certain to walk between Eve and the chairs of those already seated. The woman didn’t need any more of their attitude. Evidently not all the professors put as much faith in their Headmistress as she and Cambria did. Correction: she, Cambria and Eve. It was clear that the line in the sand had been drawn and the three of them had crossed it. The glares the trio received as they passed were proof.

Still, the temporary disapproval of a few wizards wasn’t enough to deter her. Tucking her hands into the outer pockets of her robes, she allowed her movement to cause the bottom of them to swish back and forth. She was prone to these moments – small pleasures unnoticeable to most and obnoxiously childlike to others. Taking the seat furthest to the inside, Rosemary smiled at Eve, determined to make contact.

“You know, we went through school here at the same time. I’m not sure I can place you yet, but you might remember me. I was the one who showed up to Transformations Class wearing a bathing suit and carrying a live badger. Kinda embarrassing – I’m a bit surprised that the Headmaster accepted my application after that one!”

Rosemary clearly viewed her story as a moment of hilarity and was not in the least bit embarrassed to recall the event. Maybe it was a silly thing to bring up, but it was the one thing she could think of that had had the whole school talking. It had been an accident, true, but it had cost her house a lot of points that she’d spent the rest of the year making up in study hall.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.

Eve Travers and Cambria Morehouse

One side effect of how little Eve had conversed with other people in the past two decades was that her brain didn't process conversation as quickly; she wasn't used to following the flow of it, and she had to make a conscious effort to string the meaning of the words together.

So, for just a moment, Rosemary's words hung unacknowledged in the air. Cambria was just about to fill the awkward silence when abruptly Eve caught up.

A small smile curved the Potions teacher's lips upward, a ghost of an expression but the most Eve was currently capable of.

"I heard about that," Eve said. She briefly seemed startled by the sound of her own voice, as if she hadn't expected to hear herself over the low hum of various other unrelated conversations taking place around the Great Hall - but she recovered herself. "But I never heard exactly what happened? How did you end up that way?"

Cambria smiled, pleased that Rosemary had apparently managed to engage Eve's interest and distract her from staring eyes and judgmental whispers.

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Rosemary Bain

Her grin widened, pleased that she'd successfully hooked her audience. Rosemary's eyes danced as she drew her robes up around her so she could turn in her chair to face the two of them.

"Well, at the time I was in the habit of swimming every morning before class. I was a bit behind that day, so when I got to shore and didn't find my robes where I'd left them, I didn't have much time to think. Understand, I had read ahead in the course work for Transfigurations and had come away with one thing: anything could be turned into a badger. So really, it was quite natural for me to jump to the conclusion that the badger sitting next to the rock was, in fact, my transfigured robes. Having no luck with 'Reparifarge', I decided that the spell must have been far too complete for me to undo, scooped up the badger and ran to class - I didn't want to be late! Honestly, I had hoped I'd be early enough to catch the Professor before class started, but I was not so lucky. I will never forget the look on Professor McGonagall's face when I walked in that door. It was a mixture of surprise and supreme displeasure. The latter won out when the badger wiggled out of my arms while I was trying to explain the problem. The damage one angry badger can do to a classroom in but a few short seconds...."

Here Rosemary stopped, shaking her head at the memory. "So, the short of it is, I lost points for: one - impropriety, two - being late, three - being too stupid to see if the badger had any magic about it and four - for allowing said badger to rampage through Hogwarts. And so began my illustrious career of capturing wild animals. I mean, really, for the badger to let me pick it up in the first place was quite the thing...of course, it was much heavier as a cauldron..."

The Professor had saved the classroom by turning the badger into a cauldron, then instructed Rosemary to carry it back out to where she found it and cast the appropriate spell to return the badger to its old self. The badger had taken things rather well, Rosemary thought - it didn't even try to bite her for all the trouble she'd caused it.

Eve Travers and Cambria Morehouse

Cambria burst out laughing, and nearly choked on her pumpkin juice. Such an unrestrained display of emotion was beyond Eve's current capabilities, but the Potions teacher did smile again, and genuinely. That made twice. Eve couldn't remember the last time she'd smiled twice in a row. Smiling at all was rare.

"Because anything could be a badger..." Eve murmured. "The other students told some pretty wild tales about it, ranging from dark magic to some sort of..." She had to pause for a moment to find the phrase, but it came to her after a moment. "Some sort of strange performance art. Some of them claimed they understood the symbolic meaning as social commentary."

That was the most Eve had spoken at a stretch in awhile, and the effort left her a little winded.

Cambria's laughter had drawn some unwanted attention, and she now found herself glowering at a pair of ancient-seeming professors to her right as they stared and whispered, making little secret of it.

"Oh, stop that," Cambria said with frustration, not caring if she was being rude to her elders. Seniority was no excuse to act this way. "Eve is our friend, and you need to just butt out and leave her alone!"

'Friend' was a very generous definition to give someone they had just met. It wasn't really merited. But even so, something inside Eve's brain slipped a cog.

No one had considered her a friend in a long time. It felt strange, but as necessary as oxygen. If Cambria was willing to call her a friend, Eve would give her anything she had in return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12