Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Doctor Hermann Kraus

"Oh, you mustn't blame yourself, Herr Einsbrecht - may I call you Gerhard?"

Again, not an order... but not wise to refuse.

"We are at war, Gerhard, and our enemy is crafty. They will stop at nothing to ensure that we lose this war. That our great nation and our way of life are destroyed."

He sighed, and placed his hand on his desk as if for support. "I shudder to think of it, Gerhard. Of their vile plans for us. But we are stronger. I have faith in Germany and our leader. We will prevail, fear not."

Kraus leaned closer, conspiratorial. "May I let you in on a little secret, Gerhard? I have plans that will help us. The theft of my experimental subject has slowed but not derailed those plans."

Lest he be accused of cruelty, Kraus assured the young man, "Don't worry. My experiment was on a prisoner. A subhuman. No one whose fate need concern you. I'm sure by now he has died."

Kraus grinned, self-satisfied and too proud of himself to be cautious. "I have two different avenues by which I will continue my research. I have hidden five samples from the prisoner, in separate locations. Additionally, I've been tracking down his family. With luck, I will find more who share his... unusual characteristic. His sister and brother have already been killed - unfortunate for my purposes, but I cannot fault our men from pursuing the greater good - but the parents are still alive as of last report. They can be made useful too."

Kraus gave him a friendly smile. "So you see, Gerhard? No need to worry. All is not lost."
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Gerhard Einsbrect

Another nod. He was somewhat relieved that he wasn't expected to provide much dialogue in this conversation. Truth be told, he was shocked that Kraus would give him so much information. He wasn't a high-ranking officer. He was just...there. Perhaps sometimes being 'there' was enough.

Having met Isaac, Gerhard had to admit Kraus' diatribe rankled him. Of course, he himself had thought Isaac was a simple prisoner - and that he would die. How wrong he had been. The fact that Kraus had bits of Isaac he'd stolen hidden piqued his interest. Those would have to be found - and destroyed. But any thought along those lines was completely derailed when Kraus laid out his secondary plan. Members of Isaac's family still lived - but at this rate, not for long. The path was clear. He had to get to the Fishblatts first.

"Of course, Herr Kraus. Thank-you for giving me hope." He allowed a half-smile to turn up his lips momentarily. Of course, it was true - Kraus had given him hope...just not for the same regime as he. He couldn't resist pushing a little, even though he knew a bit of what the experiment was about from Isaac's file.

"I am looking forward to seeing the results of your research. You have already done so much - and yet you strive for more. It is...an enviable position."
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.

Doctor Hermann Kraus

Kraus smiled an easy, satisfied smile. Flattery would get you everywhere with this man.

"You are too kind, Gerhard," he said in a tone that suggested both men knew this was really just his due. "As you know, serving Germany is my great passion in life, and I am delighted to play a part, however small. Though... my contribution may grow before long..."

He leaned forward conspiratorially. "Of course, there are limits to how much I can disclose, even to a fellow soldier..."

It was a tease, drawing out the suspense. Though Kraus was not prepared to divulge everything, it was clear that the doctor was about to share more than was wise.

But it was Einsbrecht, after all. Dull and bland - but utterly loyal.

"I have discovered something in the blood of this lowly prisoner that may turn the tide of the war. That may give our soldiers regenerative powers that our enemies can only dream of. I know it is... distasteful... to find such a thing inside the body of a Jew. But do not think of it that way. Think of it as a manner of retribution against the Jews for all that Germany has suffered at their hands."

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Gerhard Einsbrect

He felt his eyes widening on their own, responding to the news naturally as though he'd just found out. Shifting forward on the settee, he drew his face back into composure, even as his heart beat told a different tale.

"Herr Doctor, that...that is astounding. You should be shouting your achievement from the rooftops! Just think of it..."

Gerhard too knew how to generate some suspense. He turned his head as though he were analyzing details, then back to face Klaus.

"The Fuhrer himself will decorate you. I look forward to the day."

Pushing for more information, like where the serum might be hidden would be unwise. While Klaus was willing to boast about his achievements, Gerhard was all too aware that the two operated on completely different levels. If he was going to find out what he really wanted to know, he was going to have to convince Kraus to draw him into his circle. Fortunately, the man liked people who praised him. He hoped it would be enough to move this relationship in the right direction. He hoped...it wouldn't take too much more. Playing the fawning adorer was a role he was unaccustomed to - especially considering how much he disliked the man. Yet, remembering Gilda's sacrifices for the cause, he steeled himself. He needed to be ready to go the extra mile.

Doctor Hermann Kraus

Kraus dismissed this praise with a raised hand and a modest duck of his head - but in truth, he was pleased. It was a scenario he had imagined many times himself. It was appealing that Gerhard shared his vision of triumph. The young man was hitting all the right notes.

"Forgive me, though, Gerhard - I don't mean to dwell on my own matters."

He met the younger man's eyes with seemingly genuine sympathy and caring.

"How are you doing? You can tell me honestly. I know you are utterly devoted to the cause, and entirely patriotic. But we all have rough patches from time to time - and I can't help but notice that you don't get out and socialize much. Is everything alright? Are you taking time to relax? Or... a girl, perhaps? A man's feelings can get rather pent up without female company, after all. If you're having trouble - of any sort at all - I would really love to help."

Kraus' sincere compassion now was a rather startling contrast to the merciless way he had treated Isaac.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234