Whispers from the Peaks (GW2)

Monkey Kitty

Re: Whispers from the Peaks (GW2)

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Elves

Another look was exchanged between the elves, and this time there was a brief visible reaction. When the scout spoke again, there was a trace of sympathy in her voice.

"That is most unfortunate," she said. "We were unaware that he was an unwilling victim. That he was enslaved. Thank you for correcting our misunderstanding."

As if they had discussed it, weapons were sheathed in a single, fluid motion. A decision had been made.

"We will join you at the farm in the morning," the elf woman continued. "We will not keep you waiting. By what name should we call you?"

Her phrasing was careful. She was not demanding that Nairn share a real name if she was uncomfortable doing so - only pointing out that they needed some appellation to refer to her by.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

The question was met with another toothy grin. It was strange how these people danced around the simplest of issues, well, danced around most issues if she was honest. Nothing was simply phrased, even if the questions ended up being pointed. Nairn didn't mind, of course - language was of great interest to her - but she still found it to be on the amusing side of interesting.

"I am called Nairn. Whether or what other names you ascribe to me are up to you."

She had intended to simply leave, but knew that at least one more thing was required of her in this situation. After all, if they were to arrive the next morning and startle the other occupants of the household, it wouldn't do to not know their names in turn. Her head turned on an angle as she once again inspected the other party. Despite the fact that the woman was the one to do the speaking, she addressed the man who had been standing at the fire when she'd arrived.

"You are called Adar?" Her eyes moved to the woman, "And the rest of you? I admit, I am not one for introductions, but I am sure the others will wish to know who is joining us tomorrow."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Elves

The elves looked confused... then amused.

"I take it you overheard our conversation," the elf she had addressed replied. He didn't seem at all perturbed by this; he was merely stating fact. "Adar is not my name, though one person calls me that. The word 'adar' means 'father' in our native language, and she is my daughter."

This relation likely wouldn't come as a complete surprise to Nairn, since the two shared something of a resemblance.

"My given name is Linlom. My daughter is Galenwen. Her husband, Haldir." This introduction was made for the two who had been scouting, then he added of the remaining elf, "And our friend, Gwindor. We are pleased to make your acquaintance, Nairn."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

The thought occurred to her that she should learn from this misstep. This particular blunder was easily rectified and the other person didn't seem offended - but had he not corrected her, she would certainly have been wearing the error. If there was anything Nairn didn't want it was to look foolish. No, she definitely needed to not take everything she heard at face value. Things were different here. Unfamiliar. Caution...was something she should have kept practising. She accepted the correction with nothing more than a nod, and regained her full height as she stood up from the tree to leave. Pausing in her turning away, she looked back at the small group with an appraising eye.

"The lights from earlier. The small ones that danced. Could I borrow one? I'll return it tomorrow." Seeing their pause, she added an explanation. "Everyone else sleeps and I didn't bring a lantern with me. I should like to have a light to write by rather than sitting in the roadway under the flame. Sparks and paper don't mix."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Elves

Linlom seemed perhaps a little pleased by this request. He cupped his hands, one above the other, palms facing, and one of the little twinkling lights appeared between them.

"This will last long enough to take you back to the farm, if you do not tarry too much," he told her. "When it is spent, it will fade away."

He passed the light briefly to his daughter, who then passed it to Nairn - a silent demonstration that the magic was safe.

"Safe travels back to your companions, Nairn. We will see you in the morning."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

She had leaned forward, ducking slightly so she could try to peer between his hands as he summoned the light. No dazzling display, no muttered words. Interesting. Perhaps even more interesting was that the light was blue-hued - just like a lot of the other magic practised in their different worlds. Nairn reached out her ink-stained fingers and gently took the light into her palms. Bringing it closer, she inspected the light visually, sniffed it, then smiled broadly at the elven crew.

"Thank-you. Until the morning, then."

Nairn turned and loped into the swamp, tucking the light close to her side as though she were protecting the flame of a candle. In reality, she wanted her eyes to adjust to the dark so that she could get back to the farm as quickly as possible. Light to see by as she travelled wasn't a priority - if the light wouldn't last long, it meant that she had little time to record the latest developments of the day.

She had the time to make a few short entries - and for that she was thankful. Nairn put her items away, then settled herself onto the ground near the door, looking up at the strange sky. The morning light woke her and she breathed deeply of the new day, excited for what was to come.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Tempest Rutherford

As always, Tempest was an early riser. Like Nairn, the mage didn't sleep as much as most people - though probably for different reasons. Tempest lay still for awhile, snuggled beside Cullen, then got up and dressed before the household was awake. As she put a kettle on for tea, she glanced outside to see what the day's weather would bring...

"Nairn," Tempest said conversationally. "There seem to be some elves in the yard. I suppose we should let our hosts know they have more guests."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Other Elves

"You see? Things are proceeding apace despite the setback."

"Indeed. I was wrong to have doubted. The humans are a mere convenience; easy enough to compensate for their absence when they're removed from the picture."

For a few moments, there was silence.

Then, "One question remains unanswered, however. What of Bal? He will not take kindly to meddling that causes the destruction of his property. He will respond with swift vengeance."

"Yes. He will. But not against us."

"Whatever can you mean? Who else would his wrath target?"

"Those who have done the deed."

"Your words make no sense. It will be us who do it."

Another silence, but this one triumphant, almost amused. "No. We are the mind. But we will not be the hands. A group of adventurers makes their way toward us. I have foreseen them. We must merely direct their steps. We will heard them like animals into the actions they must take. Then when the time comes, Bal's wrath will fall upon them. By the time the God of Schemes realizes his mistake, our work will be accomplished."

"A wise and sound plan. But there is no guarantee they will do as we will it."

"They must simply slay a vampire, and then spare an innocent. You think it will be so difficult to guide their steps?"

"In that? No. I think it will not be difficult at all."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

"Well, they did say they would be here early." Nairn replied conversationally, as though everyone in the house would be fully aware of things that transpired while they were asleep and therefore shouldn't be surprised to find four elves in the front yard at this hour. She peeked over the edge of the windowsill from her seated position and, seeing Tempest had put the kettle on, slowly stood and gestured to the long table as she spoke to the new arrivals.

"It appears we are not as quick to make ready as you are. If you wish to sit, I am certain our hosts can provide tea."

Nairn ducked inside to take stock of the groups' combined wakefulness, which was not quite as good as she'd hoped. She hesitated to start opening cupboards and work on making breakfast. After all, she barely knew these people - and so many were awfully protective of their kitchens - and she barely knew the ingredients. The latter was something she intended to change at earliest convenience. It was only then that she noticed Tempest looking at her somewhat expectantly. Oh, of course. An explanation, then.

"We met last night - they share our goal, so I invited them to join us."

Possibly not the explanation Tempest was looking for - and certainly no proper introduction - but it was something.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Adventurers

"Ah, yes, that does seem convenient," Tempest replied - but although she understood the efficiency of Nairn's idea, it didn't quite address the social awkwardness of having strangers standing outside someone else's house as unexpected guests waiting to be let in.

The problem resolved itself almost immediately, though, because the household was stirring in earnest now, and soon everyone was trickling into the common room. Tempest filled Ulga in on what had transpired, and Ulga welcomed the elves into the house.

"Would you like breakfast?" Ulga asked the newcomers. "I think we'll eat outside again. It would be a little close in here with all these people..."

But the eldest of the elves shook his head. "Thank you for the offer, but we have already eaten and are ready to depart when your party is ready. We did not want to impose upon the generosity of strangers. We will sit and join you, though."

All the elves were watching Ulga a bit warily. They had known there was an orc present - their scouting had revealed as much - but seeing her up close made them nervous. They'd had bad experiences with orcs in the past. But then, Ulga wasn't exactly the sort of orc they were used to.

Ulga noticed, but didn't mind. It wasn't unusual. Not all of her kin conducted themselves with honor.

Introductions were made, and those who had not yet eaten had breakfast. Then the party readied themselves for departure.

"I regret that I will not be joining you," Lias said with a small, apologetic bow. Neither Ulga nor Soren looked surprised - it seemed the Dunmer had already discussed his decision with his spouses. "I am afraid that my past with the cult has wounded me too deeply, and I would be a burden rather than an asset if I had to deal with them again."

Anakita nodded sympathetically. "We get it," she said. "That's alright. You don't have to. Anyway, we already have a foolproof plan."

Cullen raised an eyebrow. "We do? I don't believe I've been informed of this plan."

"Sure we do!" Anakita assured him confidently. "Step One, we arrive on Summerset. Step Two, we take some actions yet to be determined. Step Three, we kick their ass! It'll go great."

"Yes, I suppose it will," Cullen agreed with a smile.