Tython Interlude

Monkey Kitty

Re: Tython Interlude

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Pyrran Onyk Mahr

Once again, the Sith lord was thrown off balance.

"Your trial?" he repeated numbly, trying to catch up with this unexpected reversal. "But that... that is absurd."

Looking away from Teizi, he faced the body of the Council.

"Forgive my candor, but you are making a tremendous mistake by calling the honor of this Jedi into question. Jedi Lin has exemplified all the virtues of your Order from the moment I met her. She is kind and generous but fair, wise and patient. Again and again, she has risked her own life to save others. All the while, she has taken time to teach her padawan. You are lucky to have Jedi Lin among you, and you should be treating her with gratitude, not suspicion. I am sure you will not take the word of a Sith. But you need not. Ask anyone she has met on Rishi. All the many people she has helped. And they will tell you the same thing."

"Thank you, Lord Pyrran," Mona Pell replied, before Jesk had a chance to cut in. "That will be all. I believe when have heard enough. Jedi Lin, please step outside while the Council confers."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Jedi Teizi Lin and Padawan Dallyn

She managed to shut off the holo, bow, and walk out of the Council chambers without either blushing or registering surprise at Pyrran's glowing character witness.Her gloved hand pushed the massive door shut behind her and she leaned against them, trying to take stock of what had happened. Master Jesk's wild accusations and frankly, equally wild behaviour. Perhaps more disturbing was the information let slip about Master Visper. Teizi needed to process this information.

"Master! They let you go already?"

Padawan Dallyn had clearly been pacing the balcony for some time, very unJedi-like levels of concern emanating off him. How long had he been out here? Perhaps more importantly, what had the Jedi sent to pick them up been telling him?

"Everything is in order, padawan. Did the Imperial get away safely?"

"Wha? You can't really be concerned about that scummy intelligence agent..."

Teizi looked down at the young man. She was honestly taken aback. True, the woman was a spy for a group in the galaxy who was not exactly allied with them. But the addition of the word 'scummy'...that was dangerous language. The young man seemed to know it too as he swallowed hard and looked down, fingering his belt.

"Dallyn. I think...I think we need to have a discussion...when this is done."

The boy nodded and looked away. Teizi couldn't help but feel a pang of worry that somewhere along the line she'd gone wrong.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Master Mona Pell

After an hour or so, Master Pell emerged alone from the Council chambers. Her expression was calm and unreadable.

"Jedi Lin, if you would come with me? I need to speak with you privately before the Council reconvenes."

Pell led Teizi past the closed Council chamber doors and down the hall to a small private conference room. She closed the door behind them, and only then did she spare a smile.

"I apologize for all of this, Jedi Lin... Teizi. Today did not go as we intended. As you know, we had questions about your time on Rishi, but they were only that - questions. Which you answered to our satisfaction. What followed was necessary but... unfortunate. I apologize that you were made to feel like a criminal on trial."

For a moment, Pell looked sad, but it faded just as quickly. "I must be candid. It was a trial of a sort. But not for you. For some time, we have been worried about Master Jesk. He believes so strongly in the Republic, which is in itself admirable, but we fear he has lost sight of the fact that the Republic and the Jedi Order are not one and the same, nor do our goals always align. At times, Jesk has strayed into viewing the Jedi as a mere Force-wielding arm of the Republic Army. There is a line, and to be frank, Jesk has been getting too close to it now for some time. Master Furri and I privately feared he had crossed it, but we had to be sure - and then we had to ensure he displayed it candidly enough that there could be no doubt among the rest of the Council what needed to be done."

She folded her hands as if in thought, but continued, "I must ask a little more of you today, Jedi Lin. As you no doubt suspect, we think that Master Jesk has fallen to the Dark side. The Council does not believe he is beyond help. But for us to guide him back to the Light, we must bring him here - we can do nothing for him while he continues to evade us. Sadly, the only way we can think of to do so is to set a trap with a lie. We have called Jesk to Tython, telling him that he must be present at your sentencing for the ruling to be binding. Will you be willing to go along with this ploy for a time, so that we might safely contain him?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

Teizi wondered if she should have suspected something like this. If she should have known this trial wasn't about her. She shook her head to clear out the self-centred thoughts. It was wrong to focus on herself at a time like this. A Master on the Council falling to the Dark Side was a much more important problem. One that she was able to help with simply by being present. And perhaps a bit gullible.

"Of course." she nodded briskly and remained standing with hands folded in front of her.

Teizi had been compliant thus far with the wishes of the Council and she saw little need to behave otherwise. Part of her wanted to ask how the Council intended to guide Jesk back to the Light - after all, had he chosen the Dark Side. Or had he simply, as they said, fallen that way unintentionally? Of course, if they could force someone from Dark to Light... As much as she didn't like Jesk, she admitted some concern over the methods the Council had discussed during the trial. Methods used on one Master Averrod-Iresso.

One thing was certain, she wished she didn't know that piece of information. Because she didn't know what to do with it. What it meant.

Where it left the Order.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Jedi Temple

"Thank you, Teizi," Mona said sincerely. "I know this sort of thing isn't easy for you - deceiving people. That doesn't come naturally to you. That speaks well of you, you know, that you're so honest. But I'm sure you'll be relieved to have this messy business over with. Jesk will be here within a few hours. You and your padawan may do as you wish in the meantime - rest, eat, meditate? Just ask, and we'll provide what you need. I would only ask that you not do your visiting right now, or spend the time roaming the temple grounds. It would be a bit hard to pull off the ruse that you're our prisoner if Jesk hears you spent the whole day wandering about, only to be shuffled off to the Council chambers conveniently when he arrives. We'll let you know when we're ready to begin."

Master Pell was good as her word, and for the next few hours Teizi and Dallyn could do what they liked, and anything they needed was provided. Then one of Mona's students knocked on the door. "Beg pardon, Jedi Lin, but Master Jesk has arrived. If you'll follow me to the Council chambers?"

When the heavy stone doors swung open and Jesk strode into the room, although the Masters were far too practiced in controlling their emotions to let a visible or audible reaction slip, it was as if the air had suddenly been sucked out of the room and the atmosphere electrically charged, as they all sensed the same thing at the same time. Despite the hood pulled down and partially obscuring his countenance, the taint of the Dark Side seemed to radiate faintly off Master Jesk, like a thin but persistent cloud of damp.

Jesk himself didn't seem to notice the reaction of everyone else. His gaze remained fixed on Teizi. "Well?" he said. "What do you have to say for yourself, Jedi?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin and Padawan Dallyn

Teizi had merely nodded in deference to Master Pell's request to stay in a waiting room instead of walking about Tython freely. Truthfully, she didn't have anyone to visit, though she was somewhat concerned about her tauntaun herd. She nearly asked if Dallyn could look in on them, but thought better of it. They were fine. And she had other things she should be focusing on.

Like what Master Jesk would do when he found out this trial had been for him instead of her.

Though the tension in the room was high, Teizi devoted herself to meditation while the two of them waited for the arrival of Jesk. In her mind, it wouldn't do to be caught off-balance when this plot came to a head. Much to her relief, her padawan joined her and relative peace reigned for the duration of the wait. Peace that was shattered the moment she was summoned, but it wasn't she who was concerned.

"Be careful, Master." Dallyn's voice was strangely pitched, his hand clutched tightly in front of him.

Teizi paused on her way out the door to make purposeful eye contact with him. "The Force is with me." The boy accepted this with a nod and she left to witness the fate of one Master Jesk.

The man's arrival could not have been louder - either in audible volume or in the change of the Force around him. She too kept her countenance neutral, though perhaps she simply had less reason to be surprised. Teizi greeted him with a steepling of her fingers.

"I do not believe I have anything more to say, Master Jesk."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Master Jesk

It took another moment, but Master Jesk finally caught on.

"I am no Sith!" He spit the last word as though it were a curse, something obscene. "I despise the Emperor and all his works! I hate the Empire with all my being, and would see them wiped from the face of the galaxy..."

Mona stared at him evenly. "Yes," she said. "We believe you wholeheartedly about that. But this, I fear, is exactly the problem."

"Why? How can you say that? There is evil. Filthy, festering evil. It is everywhere. And it must be rooted out..."

Master Furri's brow furrowed. "And if there are casualities?"

"Then so be it! Then they deserved to die! Every Sith, every Imperial, anyone who has marched under an Imperial banner or saluted an Imperial despot. They all deserve to die! Their lives are worthless, forfeit..."

Masters Furri and Pell exchanged a look. Then Mona Pell motioned for Jesk to be taken into custody.

"I am no Sith! I challenge my accuser to trial by combat, to prove the absurdity of this charge!"

Despite the head of every Master shaking 'No' in unison, Jesk drew his lightsaber and lunged at Teizi.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

She watched the Jedi Master dig himself deeper and deeper into the hole only he couldn't see. It was appalling...and sad. To see how easily he'd fallen and how he'd welcomed the Dark Side of the Force into his being. His state of heightened emotion, his anger - she should have seen it coming. She should have been prepared.

But wasn't she?

Even as Jesk's blade ignited, the Force bid her notice the change in his stance, the swish of his robes. She realized her hands were still held steepled before her, left in the form of summary greeting and forgotten in the midst of Jesk's tirade. Not the best position to strike from.

So she didn't.

As Jesk leapt forward, Teizi flicked her wrists away from her and toward the floor at Jesk's feet. She used the Force to propel herself clear of his attack, her right boot extended forward, her left brought back as though she were landing in reverse. Or dancing. Teizi landed on the Council table in a crouch. She Force-pushed a chair into Jesk's path, hoping to buy them both time.

Time for Jesk to be apprehended before he did something regrettable in the Council Chambers. And hopefully time enough for her to avoid the same.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Master Jesk

Jesk was expecting a lightsaber duel. A fight, not an easy kill. He was not expecting Teizi to open with an evasive maneuver, however, and it threw him slightly off balance - with the chair further slowing him.

It didn't dissuade the Master's relentless attack... but it was enough. Teizi's retreat and his pursuit of her had bought enough time for the overwhelming force of the other Masters and Jedi to subdue him. His wrists were shackled, and he was led away, protesting his innocence all the way.

There was no jubilation among the Masters. Relief, perhaps. But the downfall of their own was nothing to be celebrated.

"Well done, Teizi," Mona said. "Your actions today were a credit to the Order. If I may, I would like to ask you for one last favor. Will you allow me to return briefly to Rishi with you? I would like you to introduce me to this young Sith friend of yours."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Teizi Lin (by Quaxo)

The air cleared after Master Jesk was dragged from the room, but a pall remained over the assembly. She felt strangely out of place now. Even moreso now than she had when she thought she was on trial. Something had shifted and everything was out of balance.

So, not only did Master Pell’s request catch her off guard, it caught her by surprise. She stared down at the other Jedi for a long moment before her mind caught up with the words. Teizi started slightly, then inclined her head respectfully before forming her reply.

“Of course, Master Pell. I will speak with Lord Pyrran and ask him if he would be willing to meet with you at a neutral location on Rishi. If he agrees, I will send you the coordinates, if that is satisfactory.”

Of course, even that might be asking a lot of Pyrran. He had to be cautious around Jedi, as evidenced by recent events, and though she trusted Master Pell, he would have no basis for implicit trust.

“However, Master, I would like to ask you why you want to meet with him. Pyrran will want to know the purpose of your visit before agreeing to meet, I think.”