Corporate Affairs

Monkey Kitty

Re: Corporate Affairs

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gina Valli?

Gina recoiled from the comm as if she expected it to activate of its own accord and give away her location.

"No. Please. No calls."

There was no one who could help. The only person she could think of who would even care what was happening was The Other Gina - and The Other Gina was in no position to offer any assistance to anyone, if she was even still alive. Which was, frankly, highly unlikely.

"But... you have a ship, don't you? Can you get me off-planet somewhere? Anywhere? I don't have any money, but if I can just get away from here..."

And then what? Even if these people helped out of the goodness of their hearts with no thought of compensation - which, frankly, did not seem very Mandalorian - then what? She had nowhere to go. 'Away' was just a direction, not a destination. She had no credits. She had no identification, other than a name that was bright red flag for her employer. Volent would find her. They would bring her back.

There just wasn't enough time. Volent was too close. The window of freedom was too narrow before they found her, did a factory reset on her brain and made sure this opportunity never came again.

She could think of only one way to stop the pain.

Gina looked down, breaking eye contact, now resigned to the only escape left. "No. That was a stupid thing to ask. You are so kind. Thank you. But there's nothing anyone can do, and there's no time. Please. Just kill me. I know it sounds extreme. But it would be a kindness. Please. There's no other way you can help. I just need this to be over. Quickly, before they find me."

She immediately regretted the last part. She shouldn't have said anything about Volent. Now these people would know they had a prize that might be worth trading.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

The Agent

As much as she preferred to sit back and watch people, the organization on the vessel made it nearly impossible to observe interactions without being seen. It was, however, perfect for snaring marks on their own. One such mark was the young zabrak who had stowed away and seemed to be attached to Lord Pyrran. She'd looked into his background, of course. This Sith had been apprenticed to one Lord Anewe - who had met her demise on the same Jedi incursion where Darth Baras had breathed his last. The Agent wasn't terribly upset at the loss of these particular Sith. Both were self-centred to the extreme and conducted a number of experiments whose notes made even her uncomfortable.

It was that it had seemed like the Sith and the Jedi were working together. Had it escaped her notice that two of the Jedi currently on board matched the description of those in the presence of Lord Pyrran when he returned to Dromund Kaas? No. She hadn't suspected Jedi Lin when she introduced herself at the market, but now...the evidence was damning. It bothered her that no one had followed up on how easily the Jedi had slipped in and out of the Empire's capitol. She must tread carefully.

So, she started with the weakest link.

"Lord Arksynn, yes? At least, I assume you have taken a title since the death of your Master?"

The boy jumped at the sound of her voice and stared up at her from the box he sat upon crosslegged. He had been looking at pictures - not reading as she'd supposed - but could not make out what they were before he closed the datapad and lunged awkwardly to his feet.

"Oh. I suppose? No. I mean, I hadn't finished my training."

"I thought it was Sith tradition to take the Master's mantle after they are killed by their apprentice. Or, were rumours of your involvement exaggerated?"

Again, the Agent did not particularly care about the death of the Sith Lord, but she was curious about why the young one was so hesitant to take the free reputation points. A shipful of atypical Sith...she needed to know more. Was this some sort of epidemic? A movement? She stood, arms folded, in front of the cargo bay door. Clearly unconcerned that even an apprentice Sith could kill her using some sort of Force trick. A shadow emerged from behind her and stood silently, inches away - the Killik joiner stared down at the zabrak with his strange blank eyes.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Pyrran Onyk Mahr

As Pyrran returned from the med bay - relieved as he was to see Gina receiving some measure of comfort, he didn't wish to interrupt them - the sound of voices down the corridor caught his ear. The Agent. And Arksynn. Pyrran frowned. He followed the sound, only to find the Agent and her partner looming over his apprentice.

Pyrran's gaze darkened. He didn't appreciate Arksynn being bullied. In a smooth motion, he was standing beside the boy, not quite touching - Arksynn didn't seem to like to be touched - but near enough that their shoulders were inches apart.

"If you have concerns about how I am educating my apprentice, you should have come to me," Pyrran said. There was no anger - he felt it, but it was not evident in his voice - but there was a hint of a chill. "Such questions are properly addressed to the Master. Arksynn will be a fine Sith lord when he is ready. A fool claims the title prematurely, only to be immediately unseated for his poor judgment. Arksynn, however, has chosen the path of wisdom. When he claims his title, it will be beyond doubt. In the meantime, he is learning. I can't help wondering what your interest in all this is?" As he asked that question, his voice conveyed only mild interest. "Sith politics must surely bore you, as they do me."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Neva Xolte

The captain had been nodding along, ready to offer her services, but things took a sudden turn. Her head began shaking side to side instead.

"Hey now, I know things maybe look a bit...well I don't know how they look I guess as I don't really know what is going on, but here's the thing. You're not the only one who doesn't want to be found. You aren't the only one with a secret. Come with us to my friends' beach house. We're staying there and we've got people we're already looking out for. Adding you to the mix wouldn't be any trouble. Please, just come with us and try."

Neva was in earnest, pressing for a win. The woman's lack of hope distressed her, she realized.

"And if the people you fear find you, I promise I will kill you."

Neva turned and looked up at Akaavi, who was staring stonefaced down at Gina having just given her sworn oath to murder her.

"Really?" she hissed, not quietly enough to be truly whispered. Akaavi spared her a glance. She looked...disappointed?

Mandos.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Vector Hyllus

The Agent was finally moving. He didn't understand her tactics, that much was apparent. She lurked in shadows. Listened. And listened. He was a patient man, but she seemed to exist in a place outside of time. It drove him a little bit mad. Perhaps it was the constant activity of the Nest that made her stillness so unique.

He was at her back, as always. He observed the young Sith Lord making his way down the hall, his Twi'lek shadow taking a familiar stance.

The Agent was, as ever, unflappable. The Sith was angry, defensive. She did not take a step back, nor did she change her stance.

"Are you telling me how to do my job?" she said smoothly, her tone holding a hint of humour.

That wasn't how he would have addressed a Sith lord. Of course, he wasn't an Imperial Intelligence officer. She might not be for long, if she kept up this sort of behaviour.

"Lord Pyrran, I merely asked your apprentice a few simple questions. I would be delighted to speak with you in a more formal interview if that is what you desire."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Pyrran Onyk Mahr

As the Agent's interest increased, Pyrran's visibly waned.

He had thought she might be pursuing something worth his time, but it was rapidly becoming clear this was just a fishing expedition. Just another Imperial grunt trying to shake down someone she perceived as weaker to see if anything stuck, and then doubling down when she was called out by the youngling's Master. Typical.

He'd expected more from someone who cultivated an air of mystery so effectively. He was almost... disappointed.

"If you wish," he said with a shrug of a single shoulder. "Come, Arksynn. There are other things we should attend to."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gina Valli?

Gina thought for a moment, but she had little time to decide. She considered Neva's offer... and Akaavi's... the nodded.

"Alright," she said. "We should go. Quickly. I'll answer whatever you want, but we have to get out of here."

Frenka had been watching silently for awhile.

"Hey," the Rattataki finally said. "Hang on a sec."

She disappeared behind the counter, then reemerged with a sealed, unopened bag of freeze dried caf, which she pushed into Gina's hands.

"You might need this," she explained awkwardly. "In case they don't have any decent caffeine there. Good luck."

It was clearly a peace offering. The only gift she could lay her hands on in time. An apology for the threats - and for being unable to help, due to the risk to her own tribe. It was a gesture. Gina appreciated that.

"Thanks," she said. Then she nodded to Neva and Akaavi that she was ready to go.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Vector Hyllus

She let the Sith go without uttering a single word. While he had never been into any of the secret meetings between the Agent and high-ranking Sith, he knew enough that she wasn't much one to take slights without some sort of reply. But...nothing.

"It is nearly sunrise on Alderaan, is it not?"

Her face had still been turned toward the retreating backs of Pyrran and Arksynn, so her words had caught him by surprise.

"Astute as always, Agent."

Said Agent glanced behind her up at Vector, then pointedly into the now vacant cargo bay. Conveniently vacant. Vector bowed slightly, then entered the space to begin preparing for the morning ritual.

As Dawn Herald, he was duty-bound to hail the rising of the sun on the Nest, even if he was not himself on Alderaan. The Killik rose with him, refreshed as a whole. Bound together across the galaxy and relishing in their connection to each other...everything. And everyone.

He turned and saw her. She stood beside the bed, a hand at her chest, the other by her side. Head lowered in a respectful air. The Nest hummed their approval.

The white linen of the bedsheet contrasted sharply with her deep blue skin and black hair. It brushed her shoulders when her chin was lowered like that - he realized he'd never seen her with it down. Certainly they'd come together in the past, but perhaps it was something about this planet. This place. This room.

She lifted her head so slowly. He felt like he could explode from the anticipation of seeing her face.

~~~~

Outside the open bay door, the Agent stood flicking through files on her vid screen. Her posture was carefully casual, as though she were not standing guard. It was difficult to discern whether her narrowed eyes were truly reading the words on the screen.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Siralai Mahr

As he passed Siralai in the corridor, Pyrran pulled her aside. "You need to be careful, Mum," he said. "I don't know what that agent is up to. She was questioning Arksynn, and then she threatened to interrogate me. Maybe it's just the usual. But... be careful, alright?"

"I will," Siralai promised.

Perhaps allowing a stranger to join them on a rescue mission had been a mistake. Where some saw an opportunity for compassion, others just saw a moment for personal gain.

She saw the Agent standing apparently focused on her screen, and moved to stand in earshot.

"There's something you should know," she said with a friendly expression and casual tone. "If you've gotten the impression that Pyrran and Arksynn are alone - that they are without allies - you are mistaken. They have friends. Family. No one here has a quarrel with you, unless you seek to start one. But if for some reason you do seek trouble with my son - with Pyrran - know that we'll have his back."

As long as they made it back to Rishi with no major incidents, they could leave this Agent and her paramour planetside and get on with what needed to be done to safeguard their new companion. Siralai had no intention of letting this distract from their objective of trying to help Gina escape whoever was hounding her.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

The Agent

I was, rather unfortunately, unable to fully mask my surprise. Not at the Jedi's approach - I had heard her coming down the narrow hallway - but by her words. Lowering my datapad, I turned and looked up into her face. My eyes opened fully as I scanned the woman for signs of...what? Depravity?

"Your...son."

If only I were able to form the connections more quickly, but the strangeness of it confounded me. A human Jedi claiming an adult Sith Pureblood as her kin? What would have caused either party to agree to such a thing? She did not appear to be lying, nor confused. Certainly there was a visible connection between the woman in question and Pyrran, but why? While another Agent may have left this alone, I felt compelled to ask further.

"Is that why you accompanied him to Dromund Kaas? A...familial show of solidarity?" I realized I should clarify something, and faced her directly to speak in a lower voice. "I should of course inform you that I little care that Darth Baras is dead. It is merely that this event is the singular point of reference I have for Lord Pyrran and yourself. I am not seeking any trouble at all. Only that which finds me."